Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

they should do... 

I bought one the other week and it did .. after injecting it... was just tricky finding the name of it which was something weird .. but once I did was ok... 

but one never knows till one tries cool 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks Stezza.  Prices there are a little high for experimentation, but I may just go for it.

edited September 2022

so I thought I'd support @Predatron and get the horse bundle...

looks like his newer stuff will only half work in Carrara which is a shame... lots of morphs don't work and the poses don't work [sigh] crying

loading the cart & conforming to the horse crashes Carrara as well.. frown

usual things that need doing manually are the textures/normal maps ect, alpha maps and UV

but will persevere wink

LoRenzo & LoRetta carting the cabbages 

Carting.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,657
    edited September 2022

I have noticed new items by a number of PA's are having problems in Carrara.

Bought a lovely model of a Wyvern, converted to Blended Weight, tried adding a pose in after I had opened the model in Carrara and EEEKS.......  https://www.daz3d.com/hh-wyvern

With the problem models I use to export them from DAZ Studio as an obj after I had posed the model to how I wanted it. Wendy suggested saving them in DAZ Studio as a Properties Preset which is a good idea as it should save the maps associated with the model, will try it next time I need to do it.

HH Wyvern Carrara issues 1.png
    2626 x 1048 - 848K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited September 2022

shame about the wagon

Predatons stuff used to work well but is another who has dropped Poser support relatively  recently 

a lot of things turning off limits can also help

Herashel Hoffmeyer's poses on his critters I own don't work from the library but they will in a saved DAZ studio blended weight duf subscene, I don't have the wyvern

try that with the Predatron horse and  Wagon too

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited September 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Herashel Hoffmeyer's poses on his critters I own don't work from the library but they will in a saved DAZ studio blended weight duf subscene, I don't have the wyvern

try that with the Predatron horse and  Wagon too

thanks wendy but unfortunately not sad

the old 'could not be found' error

LoRezH2_poses.jpg
    1304 x 865 - 338K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited September 2022

For the LowRez horse2 poses..

I found loading the model into DazS and applying a pose then saving as a pose preset is working fine... just the tail that needs to be manually adjusted

LowRezHorse with saddle.png
    640 x 480 - 451K
    Post edited by Stezza on

still not getting the morphs to work on the LRH2... the hair doesn't follow the body shapes... hmmmm 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

The pose preset is promising.  Thanks.  I have Predatron's low res horse on my 'maybe soon' list.  Sad to hear about issues, but I guess that will be an increasing trend..

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 189

@Stezza Are those .DSF files really missing or are the reference links in the .DUF files incorrect?  

edited September 2022

RuudL said:

@Stezza Are those .DSF files really missing or are the reference links in the .DUF files incorrect?  

in the duf file it references that .dsf file but it's not there.. in the subset save of the duf file the reference isn't in the duf file to that .dsf file is not there cool

LoRezH2_poses_missing.jpg
    933 x 304 - 122K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • RuudLRuudL Posts: 189
    edited September 2022

That's a bummer. But there is a .dsf file ManeDS_616  Just out of curiosity did you try to use it in place of the missing one?

Post edited by RuudL on
  • well I can guarantee Genesis 9 won't work in Carrara

the worst kept secret going around devil

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

well I can guarantee Genesis 9 won't work in Carrara

the worst kept secret going around devil

Good. That will save me a lot of money!

• I'm thinking of getting GoZ for Carrara (before it disappears forever).  It says that it only works with Zbrush version 4.  I assume that means also 4.5, 4.6, etc.

Are any version 4's still available?  Any experience out there using the plugin?

• In doing a search, I ran across a thread where someone asked the same questions back in 2014, including if the plugin worked with 8.5..  And there were no replies.

I guess that few artists here ever went that route.

• I don't even use the free DAZ Studio GoZ

obj import works

so why spend money

• Wendy, thanks for the response.  Since I have never used Zbrush, I don't know what I don't know.  It would be "logical" to assume that the plugin has features which allow a more complete transfer of infermation between the two programs - more than a simple OBJ import/export.

Is that incorrect?

For sure, it is a challenge to find someone who actually uses the plugin. frown

edited September 2022

UnifiedBrain said:

Wendy, thanks for the response.  Since I have never used Zbrush, I don't know what I don't know.  It would be "logical" to assume that the plugin has features which allow a more complete transfer of infermation between the two programs - more than a simple OBJ import/export.

Is that incorrect?

well the DAZ studio one is worse than an obj as it loses the UV mapping especially UDIM

I don't have the Carrara one so cannot speak for that

it might have more funtionality but since the D|S one doesn't that did not encourage me to spend money finding out

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Wendy, thanks for the response.  Since I have never used Zbrush, I don't know what I don't know.  It would be "logical" to assume that the plugin has features which allow a more complete transfer of infermation between the two programs - more than a simple OBJ import/export.

Is that incorrect?

well the DAZ studio one is worse than an obj as it loses the UV mapping especially UDIM

No, but it does lose all grouping which makes it harder to work with (you essentially need to regroup in Zbrush - there is a one-click tool but that will give each UV island its own surface group, so each nail and tooth for example, which can be undesirable)

I don't have the Carrara one so cannot speak for that

it might have more funtionality but since the D|S one doesn't that did not encourage me to spend money finding out

• KhoeKhoe Posts: 289

Mummified Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s)  Carrara crash.
    can i do every thinks?
    an issue with dForce Mummified Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s) i have all items converted to Blendet TriAx/General Weight mapping but when importing to Carrara Carrara crashes.

edited October 2022

could be a rigid node or something, there are a few quirky DAZ studio things that can cause that, and some I never could fix without rerigging the outfit in D|S

I don't have that one, autofitting to a different figure and saving as support asset often fixes them too

sometimes a bone in the foot causes it too and that bone needs deleting with the joint editor in D|S

ankle or heel not sure

Khoe said:

Mummified Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s)  Carrara crash.
    can i do every thinks?
    an issue with dForce Mummified Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s) i have all items converted to Blendet TriAx/General Weight mapping but when importing to Carrara Carrara crashes.

have you tried BandageMania for V4?

works well on Genesis - you can get it here at ShareCG

WendyLuvsCatz said:

could be a rigid node or something, there are a few quirky DAZ studio things that can cause that, and some I never could fix without rerigging the outfit in D|S

I don't have that one, autofitting to a different figure and saving as support asset often fixes them too

sometimes a bone in the foot causes it too and that bone needs deleting with the joint editor in D|S

ankle or heel not sure

I have found the culprits are the two legs and shinbone. let's see how you can fix that. Should be doable. Rerigging in DS probably doesn't seem that complicated either. Then adapt to Harper right away.

edited October 2022

Genesis 9 doesn't crash Carrara and the morphs work

rigging unsurprisingly doesn't 

however converting to blended weight the scene subset won't load and we get the unhelpful an error has occured

but

a saved character preset works!

Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1080 - 302K

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Genesis 9 doesn't crash Carrara and the morphs work

rigging unsurprisingly doesn't 

however converting to blended weight the scene subset won't load and we get the unhelpful an error has occured

but

a saved character preset works!

Thanks for the update Wendy !!!

WendyLuvsCatz said:

ankle or heel not sure

I re-rigged the mummy clothes for Harper and it worked straight away. :) this allows you to quickly use other clothes for Carrara. it's getting exciting again now with Genesis 9. :)

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-20 um 11.32.25.png
    1633 x 963 - 590K
    Mummy test.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 57K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Great news, Wendy.  Great work, Khoe.  

I tried saving G9 + conformed hair + conformed clothes + pose as a character preset, then losed in Carrara.  Only the G9 arrived in Carrara, naked and bald.  I suspect it may be as simple as saving each element separately as a character preset but did not test further.  May return to the project for more tests later.

Hello Diomede - the G9 character will need to be saved as a Character Preset without clothes. While the figure is compatible with Carrara there is no one click solution and a number of steps must be done.

Also the G9 character has Eyes, Eyelashes, and Eyebrows that need to be unparented from G9 and converted to blended weight then saved as individual character presets.

Previously clothes needed to be fitted in DAZ Studio for G3 and G8, converted to blended weight then saved as individual items, I saved mine as Scene Subsets, have not tried with G9 but Wendy has had success with whatever method she used.

no matter what I save the eyeballs as I get an IO error .... all the other parts of it's head are ok... frownsurprise