Got my card ready!!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,773
    edited May 2022

Another experiment with USXT.

Tornetrask01pic21.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 634K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,043

The tropical addon is out and looks really nice.

Unfortunately.. my budget is ..gone.. until next month. On the positive side I can look forward to seeing everyone else's efforts until then.

Regards,

Richard

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

Another instant purchase.  I was a big fan of Mossy Hollow botanica, long before there was any Ultrascenery, and this should compliment it perfectly.

Cheers,

Alex. 

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,045
    edited May 2022

Hey, I found what appears to be a weird bug in the Tropical add-on. When you select the Russell environment, it changes the Terrain Map Directory to "New Folder" when you load it.

If you attempt to render this as-is, it will present a warning as seen in my screen shot ("Map Directory Does not exist!") and then proceed to render without the biome, not offering an opportunity to define the directory like it normally does when you haven't selected one yet. You could manually set a folder in the UltrasceneryXT Parameters tab Terrain Map Directory. But, at least in my testing, your Daz session is already ruined at this point. You can no longer navigate the scene or affect objects in the Scene tab. And even if you create a New scene, the viewport remains frozen on whatever it was when you tried to render.

It appears that you can avoid this problem by manually selecting a Terrain Map Directory in Parameters before rendering for the first time with this preset. My testing suggests that Russell is the only environment that has this problem.

Capture.JPG
    527 x 243 - 28K
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

My first render using UltraSceneryXT & UltraScenery.

USXTwithUSCTest.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    edited May 2022

Archipelago preset from https://www.daz3d.com/ultrasceneryxt--tropics-bundle looks fantastic.

Any ideas about how to make boundaries of the USXT not so pronounced - making it more visually appealing to the viewer.

Archipelago01pic07.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 471K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129

Artini said:

Archipelago preset from https://www.daz3d.com/ultrasceneryxt--tropics-bundle looks fantastic.

Any ideas about how to make boundaries of the USXT not so pronounced - making it more visually appealing to the viewer.

You can change the size of the water to make it bigger.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,724
    edited May 2022

barbult said:

Artini said:

You can change the size of the water to make it bigger.

Along with that, consider matching the sky's color to the water's. I used to drive west home from work along Hwy 101 in So. Santa Barbara County, California and would glance at the Pacific in all conditions and not only did there sometimes be a 'line' like you have, but other times there was a soft haze that seemed to leak into the sky. The sunset would sink in, and the color would blend in to the water's with sparkles and stuff. (Hwy 101 goes north and south, but at that point, it is east and west and turns north at Gaviota Pass, with the Channel Islands off to the left or right cliff face.)

Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited May 2022

Lots of great scenes waiting to be discovered.

ArchTest1.JPG
    1197 x 699 - 106K
    ArchTest2.JPG
    1196 x 790 - 163K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
    edited May 2022

Using mcjLUT with the scene produced some great images.

mcjLUTB2Arch.JPG
    2169 x 706 - 220K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

(whimper.....)  I just spent my monthly budget....

• My first with the tropics-bundle

HMSVictory-USXT-01-sm.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 381K

Thanks a lot @barbult and @memcneil70.

Great tips and nice explanation of the visuals seen in real life.

bombenleger58 said:

My first with the tropics-bundle

Yesss. That's perfect. With a bit more maritime clutter (cutters, flying fish, seagulls, crew etc) that'll be a stunning scene. But at the moment - Can I go on Holiday there while it's nice & quiet?

Regards,

Richard

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,045
    edited May 2022

Experimenting ... This is the Russell preset.

StormyDay.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 868K
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on

I'm noticing something odd: When I open a saved scene that has USXT, the Material under Terrain Properties reverts to the default material. I have a folder set for Terrain Maps, so that isn't the issue. I'm using the Quabbin preset, but I changed the material to terrain 5 yesterday, and today it's material 0 again. Do presets overwrite material selections?

dawnblade said:

I'm noticing something odd: When I open a saved scene that has USXT, the Material under Terrain Properties reverts to the default material. I have a folder set for Terrain Maps, so that isn't the issue. I'm using the Quabbin preset, but I changed the material to terrain 5 yesterday, and today it's material 0 again. Do presets overwrite material selections?

Applying a preset overwrites existing terrain material selection. If you change the terrain material after applying the preset, that change will be saved in the scene file, and the scene will reopen with the saved change.

barbult said:

dawnblade said:

Applying a preset overwrites existing terrain material selection. If you change the terrain material after applying the preset, that change will be saved in the scene file, and the scene will reopen with the saved change.

Ok thanks. I thought I changed it after the preset, but maybe not. For sure I did it today though, so tomorrow it should be the material I selected. Thanks @barbult.
    edited May 2022

dawnblade said:

barbult said:

dawnblade said:

Ok thanks. I thought I changed it after the preset, but maybe not. For sure I did it today though, so tomorrow it should be the material I selected. Thanks @barbult.

You should make it a habbit to setup you folder once the initial scene is created. I created a master folder USCTerrain and add sub folders for each terrain project.

• Load USXT (default terrain is generated)
    • Set sub folder location below master folder
    • Adjust terrain settings or use template (note template and preset changes back to !New Folder and must be adjusted)
    • Use the generate maps button.
    • Rince and repeat.

LakeRain.JPG
    1493 x 842 - 96K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on

I never create subfolders of the terrain maps. I just reuse the same folder over and over. Each time you render a scene, the maps that are required for that scene are regenerated. I don't want to keep a million subfolders of old saved maps.They will be overwritten and regenerated if the scene is rerendered anyway.

edited May 2022

Since I use Octane with the scenes, i try to keep the maps so I can open them again.

Added quick animation to the above, Weird looks like the system strips the GIF.

DALSFisherman4S_dark2c.gif
    480 x 270 - 2M
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
    edited May 2022

USXT with the custom height map - what a fun...

island01Pic01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 566K
    Post edited by Artini on
    I think I am going to be sniggering about that intermittently for hours. Brilliant.

richardandtracy said:

I think I am going to be sniggering about that intermittently for hours. Brilliant.

It's whimsical and fun, isn't it?

Cheers,

Alex. 

Tugpsx said:

dawnblade said:

barbult said:

dawnblade said:

You should make it a habbit to setup you folder once the initial scene is created. I created a master folder USCTerrain and add sub folders for each terrain project.

• Load USXT (default terrain is generated)
    • Set sub folder location below master folder
    • Adjust terrain settings or use template (note template and preset changes back to !New Folder and must be adjusted)
    • Use the generate maps button.
    • Rince and repeat.

Very cool render. Thanks, I had already set up the folder. The issue was that I changed the material, then applied the preset, which changed the material that I selected. Reversing that order gave me what I needed.

Quabbin preset with USC landscape.

USTwithQuabbin.jpg
    2000 x 1451 - 3M
    edited May 2022

Thanks a lot.

Just another island...

island02Pic01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 469K
    Post edited by Artini on

dawnblade said:

Quabbin preset with USC landscape.

A beautiful image. I love landscapes like this.

Cheers,

Alex.