Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female a post from the PA

Comments

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 774
    edited December 1969

I D/L'ed IM00016559-01_Victoria4forGenesis2Female.zip. It looks like "..\UV Sets\DAZ 3d\Victoria4\Victoria 4.dsf" is the only file dated 6/22, everything else is earlier. Maybe you can D/L the same file and replace Victoria 4.dsf, Jay.

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 774
    edited June 2013

MallenLane,

I notice that your "Set Victoria 4 UV" preset (dated 6/22) "turns on" Specular 2 and Subsurface using V5 Bree maps. If you edit the .duf file, you will see the references to these maps. Could this be the cause of the problems that some people are encountering with the textures? Perhaps your "Set Victoria 4UV" should also remove all maps, as well?

Post edited by nakamuram002 on
  • UrdwolfUrdwolf Posts: 26
    edited December 1969

Here's the why:

Why do the old MATs not work?

This has been explained in more detail in other places, but the short of it is this; old presets don't support applying to the new Genesis 2 Female material setup. The solution is a workaround of applying the textures to Victoria 4, and then saving out a new Material Preset, specifically in DUF format, to apply later to your Genesis 2 Female characters. When you apply the preset, you then simply have to switch all materials to use the Victoria 4 UV set under Surfaces. note: I say to save from Victoria 4 herself, because she has the material for the eye reflections to carry over, and Genesis 1 does not. In all other respects however, saving the preset from Genesis 1 would work as well

Making that new preset only has to be done once. Again, this is something that was out of my control. If I could have the existing presets work I would. However, there have also been shader advances since many of these presets were made. For example; in the ad images for G2FV4C, when saving presets for the Lana and Maya textures to render with, I added the SSS base and effect to them. So making yourself new presets, is not always a bad thing.

Well there you go. That's alright then! Except it isn't because I can't find any directions on how to transfer V4 textures to a DUF file. No readme with the product and nothing in the product blurb - just the assumption that we'll know how to do it.

I've spent an hour trying every search configuration I can think of trying to find it in these forums and I'm very frustrated. I have too busy a life to troll through these endless natter-sheets. >:(

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited September 2013

Open the v4 texture set on genesis1 and save as material preset. It's now in duf format. It will now load on genesis2 if you have the v4 clone.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Genesis 2 Female has an Eye Surface material like V4 but not Genesis. It is best to load V4, apply the texture set, then save Material Preset.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Yes rather load v4. forgot about the eye material..bleh..brain not working. But basically its that simple.

• siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

Yeap, I do load the texture on v4 and save as Material(s) Preset. After that all is ok except the eye reflection that I adjust manually. If someone has a way for a full "auto" ;)

• UrdwolfUrdwolf Posts: 26
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Open the v4 texture set on genesis1 and save as material preset. It's now in duf format. It will now load on genesis2 if you have the v4 clone.

Great. Thanks I was looking in the Surfaces tab for some way to do this and getting very frustrated. But my original grouch still stands - a couple of sentences in the product blurb and everyone would know how it works - not everyone has the time to find this stuff out for themselves. Great work on transferring V4 to genesis though.

• siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

Hongyu's SchoolGirl Skirt doesn't autofit right. Always the middle front that end upper that it should. I tried all autofit options with the same trouble.

Any idea?

Hongyus_SchoolGirl_skirt.png
    1171 x 374 - 267K
  • Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

For some reason, I seem to have lost the Victoria 4 UV. It was there earlier today, and the conversion stuff still works, but the UV is not on the selectable list for Genesis 2. I tried removing it and putting it back, and no good. Anyone know how to reset it without having to wipe everything?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Just uninstall and reinstall the product should work. You should have \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\UV Sets\DAZ 3D\Victoria 4\Victoria 4.dsf

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited October 2013

Just uninstall and reinstall the product should work. You should have \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\UV Sets\DAZ 3D\Victoria 4\Victoria 4.dsf

EDIT:

It was a case of "You Can't Get There From Here". I think I was trying to pick it in the wrong place, In the pulldown on Surfaces->Presets, where it doesn't show up. It showed up in Surfaces->Editor->Skin.

Post edited by Mr Gneiss Guy on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

sioc said:
    Hongyu's SchoolGirl Skirt doesn't autofit right. Always the middle front that end upper that it should. I tried all autofit options with the same trouble.

Any idea?

I'm also having problems with the skirts. Otherwise, I am really happy with this purchase. Do I need to fix in ZBrush/Hexagon?

Screen_Shot_2014-10-13_at_20.09_.29_.png
    661 x 633 - 152K
  • BBlogoBBlogo Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

marble said:
    sioc said:

Any idea?

I'm also having problems with the skirts. Otherwise, I am really happy with this purchase. Do I need to fix in ZBrush/Hexagon?

The deformations can be fixed by editing the weight maps but it's a lot of work and knowledge of how the WM affects the movements.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

I think this does a good job of smoothing that area out:

http://www.daz3d.com/sickleyield/clothing-smoothers-for-daz-genesis-2-female-s

edited December 1969

bblogoss said:
    marble said:
    sioc said:

Any idea?

The deformations can be fixed by editing the weight maps but it's a lot of work and knowledge of how the WM affects the movements.

I have now tried ZBrush and smoothed out the distortions. This skirt now looks good but on another, yesterday, the skirt looked smooth in ZBrush but after sending it back to DS the polygons were messed up again.

edited October 2014

I'm sure you are right but I've just spent my year's budget on G2F "essentials" so I am trying to avoid spending more. I also object to paying for fixes to things that should work. DAZ seems to claim that clothing is backwards compatible. I've already bought MallenLane's excellent product which is doing a great job doing what DAZ claim should be done by autofit. I'm only having problems with skirts so far.

By the way, MallenLane (if you are still following this) - I would encourage everyone to put your product on the essentials list. Not only because it allows V4 clothing to be used on G2F but also because the clothing fits almost perfectly after conversion. With "native" V4 clothes (on V4 herself) I would spend a considerable amount of time tweaking smoothing and other parameters to get a fit that is nowhere near as good as I'm getting immediately after conversion.

Post edited by marble on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

marble said:
    By the way, MallenLane (if you are still following this) - I would encourage everyone to put your product on the essentials list. Not only because it allows V4 clothing to be used on G2F but also because the clothing fits almost perfectly after conversion. With "native" V4 clothes (on V4 herself) I would spend a considerable amount of time tweaking smoothing and other parameters to get a fit that is nowhere near as good as I'm getting immediately after conversion.
    Agreed. I've actually bought a few V4 outfits purely for G2F since purchasing this clone, since the autofit is close to perfect for most of my needs. Anyone who has a large V4 library would benefit immensely from it.
    edited December 1969

marble said:

I'm sure you are right but I've just spent my year's budget on G2F "essentials" so I am trying to avoid spending more. I also object to paying for fixes to things that should work. DAZ seems to claim that clothing is backwards compatible. I've already bought MallenLane's excellent product which is doing a great job doing what DAZ claim should be done by autofit. I'm only having problems with skirts so far.

I don't believe DAZ has claimed autofit to be perfectly compatible; even then, when you throw the many shapes and morphs in the mix outfits will need to be adjusted. With that, I doubt autofit will every be perfect with different outfits made from different vendors from different figures. That's why I suggested the clothing smoother as it has settings in it for the various DAZ figures such as V6, Aiko, Olympia, etc. As you have zbrush you can fix those things manually, but I tried the smoothing figure and was able to instantly remove the distortion I got when I used the Cross-figure tool to convert a loincloth from the female to male and exported that for a fit, so it saved me about 30 minutes of cleanup and fixing the detail. Working with Genesis since the beginning, I know there's a lot of trade-off when using autofitted clothing as some things weren't made for conversion to Genesis, so 3rd party utilities are sometime the best bet to quickly getting your older content working. If you're going to use V4 content like dresses, Sickleyield's products are pretty much must have.

edited October 2014

... Working with Genesis since the beginning, I know there's a lot of trade-off when using autofitted clothing as some things weren't made for conversion to Genesis, so 3rd party utilities are sometime the best bet to quickly getting your older content working. If you're going to use V4 content like dresses, Sickleyield's products are pretty much must have.

OK - I found that saving my own smoothed version as a figure/prop asset and then reloading it only resulted in the mesh distortion reappearing. Thus, I bow to your experience and have purchased Sickleyeild's smoothing tool. However, one thing I'm not clear about is that the listed compatible females don't include the base G2F and it seems that quite a lot of characters are based on that rather than one of the official females such as V6 or A6. I'm assuming that this should work on any G2F character?

[EDIT] I seem to have answered my own question. This product has had either no effect or made worse the distortions in the skirt conversion. I tried all of the sliders for each female - some made it worse, none made it better. I did make sure my own smoothing morph was dialled back to zero first.

Sorry but it I'm returning it for a refund.

Post edited by marble on
    edited December 1969

Did you try any of the dials... This used a portion of V6 dress smoother to getting looking good on the male shape (of Cross-Figure tool).. then I exported that and reimported it as the male morph.

Here is the result on the M6 shape. Like I said, sickleyield's tools do work.

SkirtTest.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 116K
    edited October 2014

Did you try any of the dials... This used a portion of V6 dress smoother to getting looking good on the male shape (of Cross-Figure tool).. then I exported that and reimported it as the male morph.

Yes, I tried all of the dials. Not only V6 - I tried A6 and Girl 6 and Gia and so on and so on. I know they are having an effect because I can see the mesh move. But they don't improve the distortion. If anything, they make it worse.

Perhaps you can explain your workflow. Mine was to use the MallenLane tool to fit the V4 skirt to G2F, make any minor adjustments, then to save the result as a Support Asset > Figure/Prop. I'll try the whole process again before contacting Sales Support.

Post edited by marble on
    edited October 2014

marble said:

Yes, I tried all of the dials. Not only V6 - I tried A6 and Girl 6 and Gia and so on and so on. I know they are having an effect because I can see the mesh move. But they don't improve the distortion. If anything, they make it worse.

Perhaps you can explain your workflow. Mine was to use the MallenLane tool to fit the V4 skirt to G2F, make any minor adjustments, then to save the result as a Support Asset > Figure/Prop. I'll try the whole process again before contacting Sales Support.

I simply moved portions of the dress smoothing dials until the distortion looked ok. For the item above, it only took about 20 seconds to get the result in the previous post. If you are going to save the result, you have to export the mesh as an obj. Then use the morph loader pro tool to load that back in as a morph. Then save as a Support Asset > Morph Asset(s).

I don't have much time to explain as I have to head out, but hopefully someone else should chime in.

Edit: You probably post an image of the dress distortion, which give everyone an idea of how to help you.

SkirtTestb.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 121K
    Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited October 2014

Thanks for your advice so far.

Here are screen shots of the skirt - a new attempt - not one saved as any prop, etc. This is one I have just done in the last few minutes.

Screen_Shot_2014-10-14_at_14.21_.24_.jpg
    278 x 160 - 22K
    Screen_Shot_2014-10-14_at_14.18_.31_.jpg
    634 x 684 - 71K
    Screen_Shot_2014-10-14_at_14.13_.23_.jpg
    673 x 604 - 63K
    Post edited by marble on
    edited December 1969

Do you have the obj of your dress fix that you did in zbrush? Try to load that in morph loader pro as a morph. Then save as a morph asset. You may not need the product as you have zbrush, but you do have to load the morph in and save it out correctly.

edited December 1969

Do you have the obj of your dress fix that you did in zbrush? Try to load that in morph loader pro as a morph. Then save as a morph asset. You may not need the product as you have zbrush, but you do have to load the morph in and save it out correctly.

You read my mind. That's exactly what I was going to try next :)

edited December 1969

I'm getting nowhere with this. I tried to export and an .obj and then use MLP to re-import. So I created the .obj file then deleted the skirt from my scene, then loaded/auto-fitted a new skirt and called MLP to try to import the morph. This was the result:

Screen_Shot_2014-10-14_at_14.58_.11_.png
    528 x 176 - 31K
    edited December 1969

Let me know how that turns out.

I think one of the biggest issues of converting using the clone is that the rigging from the legs get added in, which creates the distortion. I know for Genesis 1, sickleyield had some dress templates that you used in conjunction with the V4 clone and that went a long way towards fixing some issues. I'm not sure if there is a Genesis 2 version, but I have grabbed some v4 clothing and used the Genesis 2 dress template and that helped remove some distortion as well. But, it does get a bit expensive with all the tools.

Luckily for me I did a good chunk of my conversions when I used genesis, so I could move a lot of the items over from there.

edited December 1969

marble said:
    I'm getting nowhere with this. I tried to export and an .obj and then use MLP to re-import. So I created the .obj file then deleted the skirt from my scene, then loaded/auto-fitted a new skirt and called MLP to try to import the morph. This was the result:

try to just import the obj in, it sounds like you have possibly some other mesh added in when you exported. When you export, just make sure only the item you want to export is visible.

edited October 2014

OK - you were right about making everything else invisible. Now the morph is loaded but it looks identical to the version created when I use the SickleYield smoothers. It doesn't actually replicate the ZBrush smoothing.

So there is something happening that is way beyond my technical know-how. I tried with a different garment and got similar results. Maybe this is a Mac thing. I've run out of ideas. Looks like I will have to smooth it in ZBrush for every scene. Damn.

Screen_Shot_2014-10-14_at_15.21_.53_.png
    710 x 531 - 227K
    Post edited by marble on