ot Blizzardy Warning? whiskey tango foxtrot

1161718192022»

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

..bugger and apologies, forgot yesterday was your B'day. Happy Belated one. 

Indeed, pizza, like bacon, makes everythign better.

• Mystiarra said:

WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches possible

>.<  never gonna melt off at this rate.  snowed in is better with pizza

Snow gave us a break here today and it warmed up to 20F.  So, since I got my SS deposit last night I felt rich again, paid off my bills & credit cards, ordered a pizza, and now I'm poor again.  But at least my bills & credit cards are all paid off.  (yay 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

Wow, what a rough few days here in Dallas. 7 inches of snow and 0F temps with windchill of -12, since Sun, that is just unheard of here. the worst part is the power grid, I have been mostly without power since Monday and have had to sleep at work to keep from freezing to death. Then there are the traffic conditions which crippled me and my employees from coming in to work and also products coming in for the stores. I have a fireplace, but never use it and I was about to start burning furniture, LOL

Only bright note was it sure looked pretty seeing all the snow, but damn! I don't know how you people that live up north do it, but I know I will NEVER move farther north!

• FSMCDesigns said:

Wow, what a rough few days here in Dallas. 7 inches of snow and 0F temps with windchill of -12, since Sun, that is just unheard of here. the worst part is the power grid, I have been mostly without power since Monday and have had to sleep at work to keep from freezing to death. Then there are the traffic conditions which crippled me and my employees from coming in to work and also products coming in for the stores. I have a fireplace, but never use it and I was about to start burning furniture, LOL

Only bright note was it sure looked pretty seeing all the snow, but damn! I don't know how you people that live up north do it, but I know I will NEVER move farther north!

Generators, snow shovels/blowers/plows, and keeping enough canned food stocked up. The one place I use to work had an actual engine from a post-WWII battleship that allowed them to run the entire plant and continue production in the event of a power outage. All they had to do was keep the engine fueled.

The snow, ice, sleet, etc., that we get now use to be not much of a problem for drivers until around after the late 90's-early 2000's when both the state & local snowplows started using different treatment material on the roads. The stuff they use now doesn't really give much traction to vehicles like the old stuff did and just turns everything into a slushy mess. I had a 98 Plymouth Breeze(front wheel drive 4-door sedan) that was capable of driving through just about anything if it wasn't too deep. The Ford Focus I have now, despite being equipped with practically brand new upper mid-tier tires, is a complete nightmare to drive on anything but level ground when the roads are bad in the winter. Its probably due in part to how light the vehicle is. I think my next vehicle is going to be one of those 2021 Ford Broncos.

I don't know which is worse, living in the south or the north, as I've lived in both places. On the one hand, you have the fire ants, scorpions, brown recluse & black widow spiders(among other critters), and ridiculous humidity in the south, while on the other hand, you have freezing weather for about 6 months out of the year in the north. The way I see it, you just can't win regardless of where you live.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

FSMCDesigns said:

Even at my latitude, the hours between sunrise and sun going down is so short (6 hours at shortest) and within business hours, so you don't see how bad it is except on weekends.

Contrary to what was promissed, the cold mornings are still not in the past... -24C (-11F) this morning...

...cocnerned about Atticanne in Austin.  Haven't heard anything from her for over a year.  Just PM'd her to see if she's OK

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

my friend in houson said they having rolling blackouts.

Feels Like16° brr where the st bernards with their lil kegs of whiskey?  snow storm incoming and not a drop of vodka here.  woes

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

FSMCDesigns said:

It's one of the reasons stuff costs more in Canada.  Fresh food comes from further away in the cold months, the power grid needs to be hardened, houses tend to built more solidly to withstand the weight of snow and require more insulation, etc.

• Sevrin said:

FSMCDesigns said:

It's one of the reasons stuff costs more in Canada.  Fresh food comes from further away in the cold months, the power grid needs to be hardened, houses tend to built more solidly to withstand the weight of snow and require more insulation, etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bear-bites-womans-bare-bottom-in-alaskan-outhouse/ar-BB1dO3vS?ocid=DELLDHP&li=BBnb7Kz

Apparently the outhouses can be unbearable, too, further north. surprise 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420
    edited February 2021

magog_a4eb71ab said:

Sevrin said:

FSMCDesigns said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bear-bites-womans-bare-bottom-in-alaskan-outhouse/ar-BB1dO3vS?ocid=DELLDHP&li=BBnb7Kz

Apparently the outhouses can be unbearable, too, further north. surprise 

Why do you think the Russians invented the dance "Tropak" laugh
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropak

The Finnish name for the dance could be translated as "QuickPoop"

Post edited by PerttiA on

Sevrin said:

FSMCDesigns said:

That's funny you bring that up. my friends covered parking awning in his apt collapsed on all the cars under it because of the weight of the snow we got. I can't imagine walking out to my car and seeing the covered parking full of snow laying on my car, freaky stuff.

magog_a4eb71ab said:

FSMCDesigns said:

Generators, snow shovels/blowers/plows, and keeping enough canned food stocked up. The one place I use to work had an actual engine from a post-WWII battleship that allowed them to run the entire plant and continue production in the event of a power outage. All they had to do was keep the engine fueled.

The snow, ice, sleet, etc., that we get now use to be not much of a problem for drivers until around after the late 90's-early 2000's when both the state & local snowplows started using different treatment material on the roads. The stuff they use now doesn't really give much traction to vehicles like the old stuff did and just turns everything into a slushy mess. I had a 98 Plymouth Breeze(front wheel drive 4-door sedan) that was capable of driving through just about anything if it wasn't too deep. The Ford Focus I have now, despite being equipped with practically brand new upper mid-tier tires, is a complete nightmare to drive on anything but level ground when the roads are bad in the winter. Its probably due in part to how light the vehicle is. I think my next vehicle is going to be one of those 2021 Ford Broncos.

I don't know which is worse, living in the south or the north, as I've lived in both places. On the one hand, you have the fire ants, scorpions, brown recluse & black widow spiders(among other critters), and ridiculous humidity in the south, while on the other hand, you have freezing weather for about 6 months out of the year in the north. The way I see it, you just can't win regardless of where you live.

See, I thought of all the things I could have done to prepare for what i went thru for a few days to make things more bearable, things that those that live up north doo all the time, but it just seems like overkill to purchase things like a generator for freak incidents like this snowstorm.

Funny, I am born and raised in TX and am 56 and have only seen 2 Black widows, a handful of brown recluse, been stung a few times from fire ants, usually when out in nature, once in a condo i was renting, and have seen scorpions, but never in the place I was living (knock on wood, hate those things!). Now snakes, don't get me started on them, I have lots of near miss stories with all the venomous ones around here.

yeah, it does tend to get humid down here, especially around the coastal areas. I think I would like the cold up north if I had the right infrastructure and  didn't have to go out, like for work.

• Feel bad for all the people in Texas, I pray everyone gets water & power back soon.

I think we didn't have it quite as bad up here in Arkansas. Worst that has happened is some - but not all - our pipes froze, & my husband doesn't think any have burst. We had 8 - 11 inches of snow, depending on what part of the yard you check. We have a new heater that puts out a lot of heat, even on low. And we got our a path ( ~ 120') dug for the Rogue to get to the road. Thankfully, some folks walking by offered to help clear it. (With rakes & spades because the snow shovel broke!)  They told us that at least one of the 2 main roads that our little road reaches is clear, so we may be able to get off this mountain tomorrow! (for the first time in a week & a half.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,166
    edited February 2021

I've told my Florida snow story already, but I can add a little about living in the south.  Spiders with leg span as big as your hand, and not just tiny spiders with long spindly legs, these critters are as big as half a cigarette with long strong legs, dozens or a hundred of them with their webs hanging between the palm tree tops (hopefully)  Walking into one face-on has always been one of my nightmares.  And if you see one on the ground and hit it, smack on the top, with the business end of a broom they rear up on their hind legs and chase at you.surprise  And snakes, I didn't run into many but a cottonmouth, a rattler, and a coral snake are in my memory's hoard.frown  But the humidity can be tolerated if you run around nearly naked all day long.yes  It's OK, when you're young, athletic and bronzed & beautiful, but when you're old, fat, wrinkled & pasty, it's best to stay in the trailer.devil   Which is one of the reasons I won't be going to go back to live in Florida.blush  Also, I'm too old to raid the rancher's cow fields for psylocybin mushrooms anymore.devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

FSMCDesigns said:

Sevrin said:

FSMCDesigns said:

That's funny you bring that up. my friends covered parking awning in his apt collapsed on all the cars under it because of the weight of the snow we got. I can't imagine walking out to my car and seeing the covered parking full of snow laying on my car, freaky stuff.

...saw a pic of that on FB a few minutes ago.  

edited February 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

I've told my Florida snow story already, but I can add a little about living in the south.  Spiders with leg span as big as your hand, and not just tiny spiders with long spindly legs, these critters are as big as half a cigarette with long strong legs, dozens or a hundred of them with their webs hanging between the palm tree tops (hopefully)  Walking into one face-on has always been one of my nightmares.  And if you see one on the ground and hit it, smack on the top, with the business end of a broom they rear up on their hind legs and chase at you.surprise  And snakes, I didn't run into many but a cottonmouth, a rattler, and a coral snake are in my memory's hoard.frown  But the humidity can be tolerated if you run around nearly naked all day long.yes  It's OK, when you're young, athletic and bronzed & beautiful, but when you're old, fat, wrinkled & pasty, it's best to stay in the trailer.devil   Which is one of the reasons I won't be going to go back to live in Florida.blush  Also, I'm too old to raid the rancher's cow fields for psylocybin mushrooms anymore.devil

...yeah, several reasons there why I am content where I am and have no desire to move to Florida, as well as hurricanes, tourists, and no mountains (the highest point in Florida, Britton Hill would be dwarfed just by the "hills" in the Portland city limits).

As to that last part, when I was in New Orleans, we'd jump in the Phil's Dodge Polara and head to Baton Rouge Parish for mushroom hunting.. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Aye! Tourists.  I can't fault them too much though, they sponsored the civilization of the swamps, but Florida suffers from the "Paradise Lost" syndrome.sad  Too many came and stayed.  I feel lucky to have lived there for 18 years during what I believe was the height of its paradiseness (1966-1984).  The space center was booming, the cities were gleaming, the trips between cities were unhurried, on 2-lane roads through gorgeous nature, the beaches (where I lived) were still covered in a broad swath of sand and the ocean water would glow in the dark when disturbed.  Long trains of pelicans would glide up and down the ocean shore.  Herds of Manatee and pods of porpoise cruised the lagoon.  But now unless you go a hundred miles out of your way, the trips between cities are 70 mph super-highways where everybody travels at 85 mph.  The big cities are choked with traffic, the sand has washed away from the beach again and again.  The old wooden homes nestled under palm trees and huge shading Live-Oak trees are mostly gone.  I had a good time there, but I can't go back.