Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• Vyusur,

That's a nice image. i like your charcter. This is encouraging, but I still can't get it to work. Here's my work flow:

1. Load the coat into Studio

2. Delete the Coat Add On

3. Delete Close Coat Add On

4. Delete all the RNF Buttons (8)

5. Convert to Blended Wiights

6. Save as a scen or scene subset. I tried both. I've attached a screen shot of the nodes.

7. Open in Carrara - CRASH!

Anu ideas what I'm doing wrong? I am using Studio 4.8 and not 4.12, but it works for all my other clothes. 

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 5.01.26 PM.png
    411 x 532 - 68K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited September 2020

Hi Brian! Thank you for your opinion. As for the coat, my workflow was almost the same except for the save option. I used "save as supported asset" option. See images below.

Screenshot 09-27-2020 09.45.35.png
    430 x 623 - 38K
    Screenshot 09-27-2020 09.46.20.png
    430 x 623 - 27K
    Screenshot 09-27-2020 09.48.23.png
    687 x 869 - 90K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • Vyusur,

I tried saving the way you did and I got the same result. I'm going to upgrade to v4.12 and try again. 

'Thanks. 

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Thank you Brian and Vyusur.. this is helpful.  I have DS 4.12 as I understood that was how you accessed the d-force, but did not own any items.  I got one outfit from that other site and today picked up a couple of cheap hairstyles for G3.  Will see how it goes as I follow what you are doing with clothes. I assume it will work for hair, too

yes Silene

• I installed Studio 4.12 and when I openend it it gave me an error, "a valid Postgre CMS connection could not be established". I know DAZ changed their database after 4.8. I stuck with it because I'm afraid that it will break content in Carrara. So, I'm giving up with Incognito and asking for a refund. Thanks everyone for your help!

• I have issues with Glidmans freebie "Noname " it doesn't load the hair and her shoulders are out of place in Carrara.
  • 3dcgx said:
    I have issues with Glidmans freebie "Noname " it doesn't load the hair and her shoulders are out of place in Carrara.

you may need to turn off limits then load or zero her

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

Wow Vyusur, she's Amazing!!!

edited September 2020

I installed Studio 4.12 and when I openend it it gave me an error, "a valid Postgre CMS connection could not be established". I know DAZ changed their database after 4.8. I stuck with it because I'm afraid that it will break content in Carrara. So, I'm giving up with Incognito and asking for a refund. Thanks everyone for your help!

Did you also update Postgre and such?

Wow. My workflow for that clothing issue is quite different.

I only convert to blended weights and save to my own library. Then in Carrara I go:

1. Edit > Fenric > Unlock Figure
    2. Animation > Detach Skeleton
    3. Drag Actor out of the hierarchy and rename Actor to the name of the clothing

At this point the clothing is just a static prop. Now I bring in my character and use the modeling tools in the Assemble Room to shape the clothing how I want it on my figure - then save it to my browser.

After animating the character (I always begin animations at 1 second, leaving the default T-Pose on frame 0, and make an intermediate pose half a second along the timeline) I use VWD to attach the rigid bits, set the cloth dynamic properties and friction of the character, etc., and run the simulation. It's been so much less of a headache for me to work in this way lately that I think I may actually be getting younger! LOL

Anyway, I have a bunch of information regarding the kinds of things you're working on. 

• Modeling for Genesis - Getting used to the process of going back and forth between Carrara and Daz Studio, etc.,
    • Content Creation Tools - From Basic to Advanced procedures in Daz Studio to prep clothing and other items - getting familiar with the tools

Since I've also been trying to get Genesis 2 and 3 clothing to work on Genesis, I've also purchased several of SickleYield's clone, etc., tools. She provided some amazing info in her included tutorials that come wih those products - info that helps the whole process even further.

One that I don't forget anymore, for example, is to save the clothing item immediately after using the Transfer Utility. If we happen to maneuver a morph dial or a bone before saving/reloading, we'll often have to delete and start from scratch. For certain things, of course. But whenever I use the Transfer Utiliy, I always save as figure asset, delete, and reload before testing my work.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited September 2020

I installed Studio 4.12 and when I openend it it gave me an error, "a valid Postgre CMS connection could not be established". I know DAZ changed their database after 4.8. I stuck with it because I'm afraid that it will break content in Carrara. So, I'm giving up with Incognito and asking for a refund. Thanks everyone for your help!

You can keep your 4.8 and install the PUBLIC BETA version of 4.12 alongside it (right inside your DAZ folder where the programme is installed. EG, you see your Carrara folder?  You just add the 4.12 PB and let it 'sit' there.) Then you go into the file and click on the exe and it will open.  Make a shortcut to your desktop and also have one for 4.8 there, too.   I did that for quite some time with and the content showed up in both versions as it is in the same place as 4.8 and files will show.  I did this because at the time there were issues with Carrara and Postgre and 4.10. But when I went back to verson 8, I had lost my GoZ as it was 'wrapped' up in the DS 3.10 version and not separate any longer. I lost the separate version as I forgot to save it separately from 4.8 when first downloaded. So I ran them side by side. I wanted 4.10, but also wanted the 'no aggro' of content issues with Carrara.  After I got my W10 machine, I didn't bother to do this any longer as the problem seemed to have been solved. 

I wish I could search the forum about doing this, but you can ask in nuts and bolts or similar place and either Mr. Haseltine or Mr FixMyPC can help you!  It does work just fine.

You can fix the Postgre problem but I forgot how to do that now as when I got my rebuilt machine to W10,  I had to re-download everything as I had new hard drives. Pain in the bum that was but had no Postgre problems that way.

yes  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    SileneUK said:

I wish I could search the forum about doing this, but you can ask in nuts and bolts or similar place and either Mr. Haseltine or Mr FixMyPC can help you!  It does work just fine.

The easiest way to "Search the Forums" is to Not do so using forum search, but by using a web search engine. It will give you the Forum links you're looking for in many cases. ;)

• Silen,

That's great news. I did install the beta, but without Postre nothing showed up in content. I use a Mac so I'll have to do some research about getting the new Postgre installed. I would like to try dForce and then import the draped clothes into Carrara for stills, not animation. 

• I'll give that a try Dart. Thanks. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/382486/postgresql-error-on-macos-10-15-3-with-daz-4-12

This is about the postgre issue on a Mac. Sorry if it is not your issue, but saw Totte's posts there. Guess our Finnish friend does not Carrara any longer?

He was fun!   laugh  Silene

• SileneUK said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/382486/postgresql-error-on-macos-10-15-3-with-daz-4-12

This is about the postgre issue on a Mac. Sorry if it is not your issue, but saw Totte's posts there. Guess our Finnish friend does not Carrara any longer?

He was fun!   laugh  Silene

so many have completely gone to the Darkside broken heart

I even dabble a lot with the Doll Studio lately as well as other softwares but I still Carrara inbetween 

• Silene,

That's helpful. Let me try a few things. 

edited September 2020

so many have completely gone to the Darkside broken heart

devil  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • at least Carrara doesn't have the hardware overheads of D|S yes

for a free software you certainly need to spend deep to use it

• I did get Postgre to work with Studio 4.12 and received the same results. Carrara crashed. I've requested a refund. Thanks for everyones help. time to move on to something productive. 

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Wow Vyusur, she's Amazing!!!

Thank you very much! I'm glad you like her.

Argh! The Real Feel Zipped Cardigan doesn't load into Carrara out of the box. While kinda disappointing for that, I only really wanted the obj anyway, so I'm happy to have that ability within DS.

Later (maybe even tonight) I'll try making a conforming version that works in Carrara.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

How hard is it to get Optitex dynamic clothing into Carrara?  Maybe just load in DS and export as DUF?

I have been avoiding it, but there are a few items I would like to use. (not animated)

How hard is it to get Optitex dynamic clothing into Carrara?  Maybe just load in DS and export as DUF?

I have been avoiding it, but there are a few items I would like to use. (not animated)

I was told a long time ago that it just doesn't work unless you have Optitex, so I never looked any further. I was thinking about trying it anyways during one of these "Buy 8 for $2.99" thingies though! :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
    edited October 2020

yes

but it needs to be parented to the figure and freeze run on the simulation for it to show up simulated

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

yes

but it needs to be parented to the figure and ftreeze run on the simulation for it to show up simulated

?

edited October 2020

yes

but it needs to be parented to the figure and ftreeze run on the simulation for it to show up simulated

?

well they just show up unsimulated for me if I don't parent them

on DAZcollada export too

same with Poser dynamics after running the dyntomorph python which does the same thing in Poser as Optitex freeze, creates morphs in the mesh

you can get away with parenting afterwards in Carrara if the root of the figure doesn't translate

edited October 2020

oh btw not tried it with later DAZ studio so hopefully still works

they broke it a few times back in the day they had Carrara 8.5  in active development 

otherwise use DAZcollada

if unanimated of course an obj export will do

Oh. We were wondering if we can get them into Carrara period - just static. So it sounds like the answer is Yes, eh? So that older Optitex system in DS might still work? Huh. I thought that was defunct a long time ago!

Thanks Wendy!

Say, do you think this FBX-only thingy would import properly into Carrara? I've never used FBX for anything yet.

https://www.daz3d.com/fbx--studded-jeans-outfit