OT, Mornington Crescent: Round 8 :- (Tudor Court Rules)

3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
edited December 2020 in The Commons

Introduction:

If you already know how to play this should be easy. Simply read the 'For players' section below to see how the game has been adapted for play on a forum.
If you don't know how to play, then it may be best simply to lurk for a while until you think you understand, at which point you're welcome to join in.

Scoreboard:

In charge of the scoreboard is the lovely Samantha. I couldn't find her piano intro, so this will have to do for now

Round 1 (Original modern rules): Elephant And Castle > Holborn > Goodge Street > Chalfont & Latimer > Aldwych > Kew Gardens > Golders Green > Baker Street > Maida Vale > Dollis Hill > Upminster > St Pauls > London Bridge > Morden > Bank > Holborn > Highbury & Islington > British Museum > Mornington Crescent ... winning move played by Matt_Castle

Round 2 (Windsor abridged rules, with Lord Incent's amendment): Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market > Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich > Seven Sisters > Baker Street 221b > Elephant and Castle > Kentish Town > High Street Kensington > Earl's Court > Angel > Bank > Waterloo > Mornington Crescent... winning move played by Ascania

Round 3 (Lord Knaresborough's Yorkshire variation): Blackstone Lane > Lebreton Flats (False start called due to forum auto(in)correction, restart required) Blackhorse Lane > Kentish Town > Oxford Circus> Shepards Bush > Northfields > Ealing Broadway > Cyprus > Watford Junction >Dollis Hill > Wembley Park > Kensington Olympia > Mornington Crescent ... winning move played by droidy001

Round 4 (Bog Standard rules): Hyde Park Corner > Cockfosters > Waterloo > Canada Water > Crossness > Poplar > Wembley Central > Looisham > West Kensington > East Ham > Turnham Green > White City > St John's Wood > Walthamstow Central > White Chapel > Waterloo > Sloane Square > Kings Cross > South Kensington > Pimlico> Victoria > Twyford>Paddington > Harrow and Wealdstone > Ealing Broadway > West India Quay > Uxbridge > Great Portaloo Street > Barking > Swiss Cottage > Seven Sisters > Mornington Crescent ...winning move played by Chohole

Round 5 (Marquess of Tunsberry rules, abridged, with the Highland Corollaries): Vauxhall > Acton Town > Cowcaddens > Ibrox > St Enoch > Harrow & Wealdstone > Gorbals > Barbican > Sloane Square > Victoria > Mornington Crescent  ...winning move played by Richard Haseltine

Round 6 (Crwssynt Morgantonio LLwdiu variation): Tower Gateway >  Euston > Banc > Charing Cross > Harlesden > Eliffant a Castell > Capel Gwyn  (Whitechapel) > Baching > Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch > Shepherd's Bush > B(r)econ[tree] (Beacons) > Pontarfynach (Devil's Bridge) > Angel > Heathrow Terminal 5 >Llandudno Junction > Amersham > Clogwyn> Beddgelert > Pontrhydyfen > Llanwrtyd Wells > Caerdydd Canolog [Cardiff Central] > Hobbs End > Hickory Road >Timbuktu > Darjeeling > Earl's Court > King's Cross > Mornington Crescent  ... winning move played by 3DCheapskate

Round 7 (Calvin's Presbyterian version, 23 June 1907 edition): Archway > Holborn > Arsenal > Tufnell Park>Hyde Park Corner> Hounlsow Central>Archway>Monument>Archway>Stepney Green>Morden...
(somewhere around the Stepney Green>Morden move we seem to have slipped onto an alternate timelime due to the quantum meddling)

Round 7 (Calvin's Presbyterian version, 23 June 1907 edition) alternate timeline:Pimlico > Ickenham > Elm Park > Arnos Grove > Ladbroke Grove > Dagenham East > Oval > Ruislip Manor > Stepney Green > Morden > Plaistow > Wembley Central > Lyon Park Avenue > Alperton > Tooting Bec > Regents Park > King's Cross > Oxford Circus > Elephant And Castle > Monument > Barbican > Farringdon > Archway > Mornington Crescent ... winning move played by Chohole

Round 8 (Tudor Court rules): Tower Gateway >Tooting Broadway > West Croydon> > Lambeth North > Maidenhead > Earl's Court >Park Royal > High Street Kensington  > Parsons Green > Regents Park > ...

Guidelines (not rules) for players:

0) We're probably playing by the original modern rules now Different rulesets may be used for each round. Details of the ruleset(s) in use will (probably) be found in (or near) the post containing the first move for that round

1) The major change to the standard original modern any rules is that there is no particular sequence in which players make their moves.
So basically whoever posts next is considered to have made the next move (Rule Guideline (3) (4) is intended to resolve conflicts in this regard, but probably won't)
However, no player is allowed to make two consecutive moves.

2) Discussion and comment is encouraged, but not mandatory. For this purpose both players and non-players are welcome to post without making any move.

3) When making a move, please include the full sequence of preceding moves in your post (to counter the problem of two or more people posting responses to the same moves), and ensure that your actual move stands out in your post. I suggest a separate line using the 'Heading 1' format (from the drop-down above the edit box that has 'Normal' as the default), but maybe bold, a bright colour, or anything that clearly differentiates it from normal, humdrum, everyday text will suffice. This is so that moves can be easily picked out from general chit-chat. Here is an example move:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Elephant And Castle > Aldgate > South Harrow > Marylebone

Liverpool Street

I bet you weren't expecting that !
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

4) If two or more people post responses to the same move, then the one that appears first in the thread (after any thread turbulence has settled) is counted and the others are ignored. If you have posted a move that is ignored according to this rule guideline, please do not delete it - simply use the strikethrough format (the 'S' button next to the bold 'B' and italic 'I' buttons above the post editing box at the left) on your move.

4a) (The 'fait accompli' amendment to guideline (4)) If two or more people post responses to the same move, thus invoking guideline (4), but somebody posts a follow-on to one of the aforementioned multiple responses to the same move that would not have been considered the legitimate next move, then that illegitimate next move forthwith gains legitimacy.

5) Invalid moves must be challenged before anybody makes a follow-on move. If a follow-on move has already been made then the challenged move stands, regardless of its validity. If a move is successfully challenged then play is paused until a nominated 'responsible adult' rules makes a decision on the validity of the move. Discussion of the validity of a challenged move is highly encouraged, and sufficient time should be allowed for the cases both for and against the challenge. Invalid moves will be redacted in the same way as ignored moves in rule guideline (5), i.e. by using strikethrough on the move, not deleting it.

6) All guidelines are purely guidelines and can be ignored at will.

So let's get started. I'll kick us off with a classic opening move...

Elephant And Castle

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

Comments

• droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277
    edited February 2020
    From Elephant and Castle I'll go with a classic opening reply. Holborn Breaking the rules already. Edit

Elephant And Castle > Holborn

Post edited by droidy001 on
  • 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited February 2020

Excellent ! And not unexpected.

P.S. Could you edit the post to make Holborn stand out. I proposed Heading 1 and a separate line, but maybe bold, a bright colour, or something like that would do. I'd like to make sure that each move stands out against chit-chat, gossip, letters from Mrs Trellis of North Wales, etc

Ah, those aren't actually rules, they're more what you'd call guidelines. I'll go back and change the wording appropriately.

• Done. Just one thing though. Under forum rules are diagonals allowed anytime or only after a u-turn.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,119

I feel like I'm having a stroke reading this thread.

edited February 2020
    droidy001 said:
    Done. Just one thing though. Under forum rules are diagonals allowed anytime or only after a u-turn.

Which time-zone are you in ? Some local variants allow diagonals regardless of U-turns, and others prohibit them completely.

Hmmm... I'd overlooked the fact that a forum-based version would draw players from different countries and time-zones...

• droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277
    edited February 2020
    droidy001 said:
    Done. Just one thing though. Under forum rules are diagonals allowed anytime or only after a u-turn.

Which time-zone are you in ? Some local variants allow diagonals regardless of U-turns, and others prohibit them completely.

Hmmm... I'd overlooked the fact that a forum-based version would draw players from different countries and time-zones...

Northern Mean Time. To clarify that 1972
    Post edited by droidy001 on
    edited February 2020

droidy001 said:

I think the best approach is 'suck it and see'.

But you'll have to wait at least until somebody makes the 3rd move.

edited February 2020

Gordig said:

Would it help if I removed the guidelines ?

edited February 2020
    droidy001 said:
    droidy001 said:

Under those particular conditions I believe that diagonals were allowed, but only after u-turns.

However, I think that u-turns were prohibited.

edited February 2020

By the way, I'm not a 'responsible adult'.

So I hope that a few of them will come on board to help.

• droidy001 said:
    droidy001 said:

Under those particular conditions I believe that diagonals were allowed, but only after u-turns.

However, I think that u-turns were prohibited.

So if due to my location I'm not allowed diagonals or u-turns. I can see my options being serverly limited later on in the game, something akin to the Brooke-Taylor Vs ZX Spectrum exhibition match of 1984.
  • Gordig said:

Don't worry the Ever Delightful Samantha (the games regular scorer) often had a stroke during a long session. You'll catch on to rules quickly I'm sure.
  • Are we using the 1963 Nanfred variations?
    edited February 2020

I think that, to liven things up,  individual players should be allowed to make moves in accordance with the customary variation used at their location.

It's up to other players (not me) to challenge their moves if they don't think they're valid.

So 1963 Nanfred variations are probably okay - provided you're not playing from the Cotswolds.

• But if we allow that, and the customary variation prohibits certain moves that the standard rules allow, then I'd suggest that a player can use Fitzroy's Reversion and recourse to the standard rules.

What say you ?

• I think you're opening up a huge can of worms here. Let's say I claim to be from East Dumbartonshire and I make a move from Swiss Cottage to Heathrow T5 citing the McDonald revision. Is it up to me to prove where I live or a challenger to prove that I don't live there? Sorry to be pedantic but if we're going to play the game we need to take it seriously.
    edited February 2020

Good point. And what do points mean ? Prizes !

So on second thoughts, how about sticking to the Original Modern Rules, for everybody, regardless of timezone and country

edited February 2020

Still waiting for somebody who isn't droidy001 (because a player can't make two consecutive moves) to make that 3rd move. So far we have:

Elephant And Castle > Holborn > ???

• nattaruknattaruk Posts: 524

Elephant And Castle > Holborn >

Very, very traditional, and rather dull opening moves. As neither Green Park nor Plimlico have been played yet I can put the cat amongst the pigeons and play the exciting  "Break with Tradition" Gambit move of 

Goodge Street

•  

• Khai-J-BachKhai-J-Bach Posts: 163
    edited February 2020

Hmmm I shall play...

Chalfont and latimer

Post edited by Khai-J-Bach on
    edited February 2020

Khai-J-Bach can you edit your post so Chalfont and latimer stands out, e.g. by using 'Heading 1' style on it. That way actual moves are easy to distinguish from other stuff laugh

Quite an unusal move I think, because it increases the risk of shunting yourself. Although having said that, it was one of Albert "Tornado" Totteridge's signature moves.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,333

So on second thoughts, how about sticking to the Original Modern Rules, for everybody, regardless of timezone and country

If we're playing with the original modern rules, I believe those were published before the station's 1994 closure, so we can actually go with:

Elephant And Castle > Holborn > Goodge Street > Chalfont & Latimer >

Aldwych

• (I'm going to bow out now for a while. Hopefully there are enough responsible adults watching/playing to ensure that the first round stays on track, e.g. by adjudicating any challenges. Maybe the winner of the first round gets to choose the rules variant for the second round, and makes the first move? )

Hopefully there are enough responsible adults watching/playing to ensure that the first round stays on track

Well, it has to stay on track; derailment diagonal plays were only added in 1999 into the 2nd Revised Modern edition of the rules (The "Gunnersbury Triangle Junction" rule).

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,046
    edited February 2020

Think I'm in Nid, so have to miss my go.

Post edited by richardandtracy on

Think I'm in Nid, so have to miss my go.

This is Original Modern Rules; it predates the "In Nidd" amendment, which originated in Yorkshire variations.

You might be thinking of the Westbourne trap, but Sloane Square wasn't in the last three moves.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited February 2020

The "R" Broadway Local, Lexington Ave - 59th Street... 

?

This probably does not work the way I thought it does... but a subway rat explained it to me a long time ago and I'm terrible at understanding rat, so...

EDITED TO ADD...

Yeah, never mind... I looked it up, I'm delusional... I have no idea how this works... stupid rat.

Post edited by McGyver on
    McGyver said:
    This probably does not work the way I thought it does... but a subway rat explained it to me a long time ago and I'm terrible at understanding rat, so...

Yeah, the New York versions have very different rules. Honestly, I don't understand Manhattan play; the relatively small number of east-west links on the north end of the island just confuses me, and I don't think you can pull off any of the loop plays we get with the Circle line? (Although those often aren't valid in newer rulesets, what with the split at Edgeware Road these days).

• Unfortunately I cannot format properly on this forum since it does not like android keyboards.. Sorry..... I'll edit when I get to my pc tho