OT, Mornington Crescent: Round 8 :- (Tudor Court Rules)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2020

Does anyone know or remember how to score

And 2nd question      who is going to start the next round.    or shall we leave it and pick up again tomorrow   looking at the UK clock. 

Post edited by Chohole on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Ah, well, if you're going to do that, I'm going to take advantage of the fact we're back on Peak Time scoring, and...

Elephant And Castle > Holborn > Goodge Street > Chalfont & Latimer > Aldwych > Kew Gardens > Golders Green > Baker Street > Maida Vale > Dollis Hill > Upminster > St Pauls > London Bridge > Morden > Bank > Holborn > Highbury & Islington > British Museum >

Mornington Crescent

I believe that's a valid endgame, unless anyone has any objections?

Congratulations. Well played.

• I believe that's a valid endgame, unless anyone has any objections?

I can't believe it took so long for one of us to come up with the move. It was so obvious yet most of us missed it. Well done sir.
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

Shall we start Round Two?

Ruislip Gardens

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,338
    edited February 2020
    hacsart said:

Shall we start Round Two?

Ruislip Gardens

Before that, we need to determine the ruleset!

In order to keep it quick, as I took the victory last time, I'll take it upon myself to pick.

As the last round went on for a while, we'll go with something quicker - the Windsor abridged rules, with Lord Incent's amendment to keep it interesting. For those who've not played it in a while, the amendment allows shunts onto adjacent lines in the same charge zone immediately after a lateral or reversal, but only if no more than one player is in nip.

Ruislip Gardens is still a fair first move in that ruleset, but I'll let you make an interchange if you'd prefer?

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited February 2020

Assuming that hacsart is sticking with that first move I'll play

Ruislip Gardens >

Shepherds Bush Market

which I believe is valid under the Windsor abridged rules, even though it involves a double-bogie shunt - whoops, it's actually a double-bogie reverse shunt. I'm not sure if the Windsor abridged rules allow that...

P.S. I've been searching for an appropriate piece of introductory music for Samantha, but without any real success.The closest I can find is this

Not quite Colin Serle, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi to it...

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277
    edited February 2020

Assuming that hacsart is sticking with that first move I'll play

Ruislip Gardens >

Shepherds Bush Market

which I believe is valid under the Windsor abridged rules, even though it involves a double-bogie shunt

Nice move. I believe that now means that this round can't be won in less than 5 moves, due to cabbies not going South of the river after midnight. Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market

Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich

Edit: Sorry I'd misread, I only have the pocket rule book and the writing is so small. And it really doesn't help that its written in crayon. It's market delivery boys who won't take cabbages south of the river. This rules out the goods train shortcut.
    Post edited by droidy001 on
  • Not quite Colin Serle, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi to it...

Not sure who this Colin Serle bloke is but if he's got grade 2 he can have Colin Sell's job
    edited February 2020
    droidy001 said:

Not sure who this Colin Serle bloke is but if he's got grade 2 he can have Colin Sell's job

Colin Serle's the greengrocer at the fifteenth stall on the left at Shepherds Bush Market. Looks (and acts) a bit like the late, great Ronnie Barker - but with a beard.

Who's Colin Sell then ?

• droidy001 said:

Colin Serle's the greengrocer at the fifteenth stall on the left at Shepherds Bush Market. Looks (and acts) a bit like the late, great Ronnie Barker - but with a beard.

Who's Colin Sell then ?

He's the bloke that annoys the locals at the Kings Heads with his incessant banging on the piano.
  • droidy001 said:
    droidy001 said:

Who's Colin Sell then ?

He's the bloke that annoys the locals at the Kings Heads with his incessant banging on the piano.

Ah ! Colin Serle occasionally plays burlesque on the tuba at the Kings Head, which is probably why I got them muddled up.

Shepherds Bush Market

which I believe is valid under the Windsor abridged rules, even though it involves a double-bogie shunt - whoops, it's actually a double-bogie reverse shunt. I'm not sure if the Windsor abridged rules allow that...

It is indeed valid, and a good play for the Hammersmith & City line, given that the Windsor rules give bonus score for using less frequently used stations.

I might have gone for Goldhawk Road one stop down the line, as it's slightly better scoring, but I see where you're going with that - from there, you can duplicate either "Shephard's Bush" to get to the Central line, or get onto the Metropolitan branches; a lot of people forget that Shepard's Bush Market leads out onto Uxbridge Road, and you can duplicate on foot connections under the Windsor rules, which means you can reverse back out to Uxbridge without suffering the normal penalty.

That definitely leaves your moves open a lot wider than Goldhawk Road, because while you can duplicate "Road", it's obviously lesser scoring for being a common element.

droidy001 said:

I believe that now means that this round can't be won in less than 5 moves, due to cabbies not going South of the river after midnight.

Actually, I know it's controversial, but the Windsor rules do allow the chess link, so it is possible to make above-ground exchanges between King's Cross, Queen's Park, Knightsbridge, Elephant and Castle, and Bishop's Road (although better known as Paddington these days), so it would have just been possible if your move had opened up that link, but I think those are all now blocked off in the next two turns by you making a move on the DLR, so well played..

• Actually, I know it's controversial, but the Windsor rules do allow the chess link, so it is possible to make above-ground exchanges between King's Cross, Queen's Park, Knightsbridge, Elephant and Castle, and Bishop's Road (although better known as Paddington these days), so it would have just been possible if your move had opened up that link, but I think those are all now blocked off in the next two turns by you making a move on the DLR, so well played..

You give me too much credit. I based my move on the thought that Lord Incent would have approved, as his housekeeper has a second cousin who cleans at Admiralty House
  • A quick question:

Is it Lord Incent's Amendment that permits the use of service tunnels and old Victorian sewers, or am I getting my amendments confused ?

edited February 2020

My PM system is brimful with a message from a Mrs Trellis of North Wales. She wrote,

"Dear Colin Serle, I have just listened to a bootleg recording from the Kings Head, of Colin Sell (on piano) and yourself (on tuber) performing a rousing rendition of "The Hokey Cokey". I was wondering how you manage to get such clear and vibrant sounds. I've tried blowing into a potato, but all I get is sore lips."

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,008

Humph!

Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market > Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich >

Seven Sisters

Chippies are allowed.

A quick question:

Is it Lord Incent's Amendment that permits the use of service tunnels and old Victorian sewers, or am I getting my amendments confused ?

That's the Bazalgette clause, but most of the modern rulesets automatically disallow that after the controversy of the 1973 subterranean survey revealing that Gordon Benn's winning play at the 1968 World Championships was no longer accessible; as the connections can no longer be adjudicated on given the lack of accurate maps, they're generally disallowed.

In any case, I forgot to mention it, but under the Windsor rules, I'm automatically in nip for my first turn as a handicap from the previous game, so it's someone else's turn at this point.

edited February 2020

Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market > Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich > Seven Sisters

Baker Street 

221b

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market > Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich > Seven Sisters > Baker Street 221b

As it's before 6pm, and so we're allowed south of the river...

Elephant and Castle

• As a northerner I have to use the vertical exaggeration ammendment to the older new rules; thus vertical displacement on escalators (NOT lifts) based on 1932 Thames base level equals 1:17th horizontal movement, East - West, (obviously excluding Victoria Line).

Oh, nearly forgot...

Kentish Town

edited February 2020

As a northerner I have to use the vertical exaggeration ammendment to the older new rules; thus vertical displacement on escalators (NOT lifts) based on 1932 Thames base level equals 1:17th horizontal movement, East - West, (obviously excluding Victoria Line).

Oh, nearly forgot...

Kentish Town

Now from there I could go with obvious choice that I know you're all thinking., but I won't I'm going with an old clause in the Windsor rules that states I can bypass White City on a Friday due to the dogs Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market > Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich > Seven Sisters > Baker Street 221b > Kentish Town

Kensington High Street

Edit: I would like to add the reason for the clause for those doubting it's validity. It was brought about in respect for the Queen. A close relative whose identity has remained a close guarded secret, had to be physically restrained after he was caught trying to put the family jewels on "A Lady's Perogative" in the 8.30.
    droidy001 said:

As a northerner I have to use the vertical exaggeration ammendment to the older new rules; thus vertical displacement on escalators (NOT lifts) based on 1932 Thames base level equals 1:17th horizontal movement, East - West, (obviously excluding Victoria Line).

Oh, nearly forgot...

Kentish Town

Now from there I could go with obvious choice that I know you're all thinking., but I won't I'm going with an old clause in the Windsor rules that states I can bypass White City on a Friday due to the dogs Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market > Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich > Seven Sisters > Baker Street 221b > Kentish Town

High Street Kensington

Edit: I would like to add the reason for the clause for those doubting it's validity. It was brought about in respect for the Queen. A close relative whose identity has remained a close guarded secret, had to be physically restrained after he was caught trying to put the family jewels on "A Lady's Perogative" in the 8.30.

Corrected

edited February 2020

Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market > Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich > Seven Sisters > Baker Street 221b > Kentish Town > High Street Kensington

Earl's Court

Remember, the Northern Line is now open.

Post edited by Ascania on
    edited February 2020
    Chohole said:
    droidy001 said:

Oh, nearly forgot...

Kentish Town

High Street Kensington

Corrected

So glad you spotted my deliberate mistake. I wanted to make sure people were taking the game seriously
    edited February 2020

Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market > Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich > Seven Sisters > Baker Street 221b > Elephant and Castle > Kentish Town > High Street Kensington > Earl's Court

Going to be a little bit devilish here and go Piccadilli line with a quick crafty flip to the right and on to the now opened Northern Line

Angel

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Oi! That should be: Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market > Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich > Seven Sisters > Baker Street 221b > Elephant and Castle > Kentish Town > High Street Kensington > Earl's Court > Angel
    (ye can't get the staff! cheeky)

which, I think you'll agree puts an entirely different perspective on it. There can be only one next move . . . .

Bank

oops!

edited February 2020

With my initial handicap, I don't think I'm going to be able to get my score up enough by the endgame otherwise, so this is going to have to be a risky move. We'll make a terminus swap on the W&C line to go to...

Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market > Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich > Seven Sisters > Baker Street 221b > Elephant and Castle > Kentish Town > High Street Kensington > Earl's Court > Angel > Bank >

Waterloo

(Obviously, Waterloo itself is very poorly scoring because of its very heavy traffic, but it means I lock anyone else out from getting the points for using the rare Waterloo and City line)

Post edited by Matt_Castle on

Ruislip Gardens > Shepherds Bush Market > Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich > Seven Sisters > Baker Street 221b > Elephant and Castle > Kentish Town > High Street Kensington > Earl's Court > Angel > Bank > Waterloo

Is that a mistake? Because that move opens up the Jubilee Line, right to

Mornington Crescent