OT, Mornington Crescent: Round 8 :- (Tudor Court Rules)

Comments

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited May 2020

I was contemplating  SnaresBrook or Stamford Brook, but then a better move dawned on me...

Tower Gateway > Euston > Banc > Charing Cross > Harlesden > Eliffant a Castell > Capel Gwyn (Whitechapel) > Baching > Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch > Shepherd's Bush > B(r)econ[tree] (Beacons) > Pontarfynach (Devil's Bridge) > Angel > Heathrow Terminal 5 >Llandudno Junction > Amersham > Clogwyn> Beddgelert > Pontrhydyfen > Llanwrtyd Wells > Caerdydd Canolog [Cardiff Central] > Hobbs End > Hickory Road >

Timbuktu

(I'm convinced it used to be spelt transliterated rendered "Timbuctoo" - probably before the spelling police got their hands on it)

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

That move seems to have everybody stumped...

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,333

Well, I believe that under Robertson's 2nd Addendum to the Weekend Maintenance Ruling (the one from the 2005 convention, not the 1982 one), any move that causes an extended delay permits play to make use of bus routes?

• Well, I would have played

Tower Gateway > Euston > Banc > Charing Cross > Harlesden > Eliffant a Castell > Capel Gwyn (Whitechapel) > Baching > Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch > Shepherd's Bush > B(r)econ[tree] (Beacons) > Pontarfynach (Devil's Bridge) > Angel > Heathrow Terminal 5 >Llandudno Junction > Amersham > Clogwyn> Beddgelert > Pontrhydyfen > Llanwrtyd Wells > Caerdydd Canolog [Cardiff Central] > Hobbs End > Hickory Road >Timbuktu

Tipperary

but I thought it had already been played, still since the last move was a long way back I suppose it is strictly speaking now relegitimised

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024
    edited August 2020

Ahem..  if we're going down that rabbit hole, the only option is the 1979 Oriental Addendum to the Second Set of Corollary rules of 1978. Therefore and forwith one invokes the Prester John optional rules and goes (wilth an application of the "Sun Never Sets" Imperial modifier)

Tower Gateway > Euston > Banc > Charing Cross > Harlesden > Eliffant a Castell > Capel Gwyn (Whitechapel) > Baching > Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch > Shepherd's Bush > B(r)econ[tree] (Beacons) > Pontarfynach (Devil's Bridge) > Angel > Heathrow Terminal 5 >Llandudno Junction > Amersham > Clogwyn> Beddgelert > Pontrhydyfen > Llanwrtyd Wells > Caerdydd Canolog [Cardiff Central] > Hobbs End > Hickory Road >Timbuktu

Darjeeling

and to keep it on the rails, so to speak, we arrive via the  Darjeeling Himalayan Railway

Post edited by hacsart on
  • droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277

That move seems to have everybody stumped...

I thought it was a 2 month silence in respect for TB-T. Either that or it was his turn.
  • hacsart said:

Ahem..  if we're going down that rabbit hole, the only option is the 1979 Oriental Addendum to the Second Set of Corollary rules of 1978. Therefore and forwith one invokes the Prester John optional rules and goes (wilth an application of the "Sun Never Sets" Imperial modifier

Darjeeling

and to keep it on the rials, so to spek, we arrive via the  Darjeeling Himalayan Railway

from which a silent grey move can take us to

Earl's Court

well played sirrah!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2020

Tower Gateway > Euston > Banc > Charing Cross > Harlesden > Eliffant a Castell > Capel Gwyn (Whitechapel) > Baching > Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch > Shepherd's Bush > B(r)econ[tree] (Beacons) > Pontarfynach (Devil's Bridge) > Angel > Heathrow Terminal 5 >Llandudno Junction > Amersham > Clogwyn> Beddgelert > Pontrhydyfen > Llanwrtyd Wells > Caerdydd Canolog [Cardiff Central] > Hobbs End > Hickory Road >Timbuktu > Darjeeling > Earl's Court

and adding a royal connection

King's Cross

Post edited by Chohole on

King's Cross? or is he merely annoyed?

Tower Gateway >  Euston > Banc > Charing Cross > Harlesden > Eliffant a Castell > Capel Gwyn  (Whitechapel) > Baching > Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch > Shepherd's Bush > B(r)econ[tree] (Beacons) > Pontarfynach (Devil's Bridge) > Angel > Heathrow Terminal 5 >Llandudno Junction > Amersham > Clogwyn> Beddgelert > Pontrhydyfen > Llanwrtyd Wells > Caerdydd Canolog [Cardiff Central] > Hobbs End > Hickory Road >Timbuktu > Darjeeling > Earl's Court > King's Cross >

Since we're playing the Crwssynt Morgantonio LLwdiu variation I'll try...

Mornington Crescent ?

• Hmm, does going from King's cross to Mornington Crescent imply he alowed the sun to set on his anger? Is that a legitimate move, or does it need a cooling off period first?

edited November 2020

There's a little used sub-clause in the full editions of the the Crwssynt Morgantonio LLwdiu variation. It appears only as a footnote and is not on the expected page, but the following one. It's also in Welsh (or at least cod-Welsh) "Cysylltiad uniongyrchol o groes y brenin caniateir, ond yn unig ddydd Sul wrth ganu 'Sosban fach', Iechyd da "! 

Running that through Google translate I think it's a valid move.

But then again, you should never rely on Google translate.

Ddim yn ddrwg!     Siaradwch yn arafach, os gwelwch yn dda.    Hwyl fawr am nawr!

• OK, I sit corrected - objection withdrawn.

edited August 2020
    Chohole said:

Ddim yn ddrwg!     Siaradwch yn arafach, os gwelwch yn dda.    Hwyl fawr am nawr!

"My hovercraft is full of eels ! I will not buy this record, it is scratched. My nipples explode with delight !"

I think there's something wrong with Google translate today...

Chohole said:

"My hovercraft is full of eels ! I will not buy this record, it is scratched. My nipples explode with delight !"

I think there's something wrong with Google translate today...

Google is like that   use Omniglot instead       Mae'n brydgell ac mae'r brochgim stwd / Yn gimblo a gyrian yn y mhello.     or Geiriadur Ar-lein Cymraeg-Saesneg / Saesneg-Cymraeg

edited August 2020

Since Richard's challenge has been withdrawn, and since that last game was a rather long one, I invoke winner's privelege to select which variant we use for the next round

To make the game a little bit shorter I'll go for Calvin's Presbyterian, specifically the original version published on 23 June 1907. This limits play to the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway plus nearby lanes and chapels.
    Decoupling is allowed - nay, mandatory !
    And there shall be no tolerance for non-adherance to the rules.

I'll start play with one of the three classic openings:

Archway

edited August 2020

Judging from the lack of response I assume that everybody's spotted the major flaw with this variant of the game.

I mentioned that there were three classic openings - Archway, Golders Green, and Tottenham Court Road. That's fairly obvious because any other opening move immediately opens up Mornington Crescent. 

But because of the mandatory decoupling Archway, Golders Green, and Tottenham Court Road, if played as a second move, will also open up Mornington Crescent  As will any other station, nearby lane, or chapel. So player three will always win - remember, decoupling is mandatory, so if Mornington Crescent is open you have to take it.

Rev. Benedict Calvin, the creator of this variant, explained that it wasn't so much a game as a salutory lesson in inevitabilty.

So who's going to make the second move and bring on the inevitable ?

• Well, since it's an odd-numbered day in an even numbered month in an even numbered year I think I can apply Eisenstock's Quantum Disuncoupling to play

Archway>

Holborn

• Bang goes inevitability !

Brilliant play Richard !

Seeing as its the 1st day of a month that does not begin with "A" one can use the May/Clarke gambit and wobble on over to ...

Archway>Holborn>

Arsenal

• Better Arsenal than Manchester United, at any rate!

• Archway>Holborn>Arsenal>

Tufnell Park

• Archway>Holborn>Arsenal>Tufnell Park

Now I can see the obvious next move, but that doesn't really give you any advantage - quite the reverse in fact - so whata re you up to? I suppose I will have to risk the play and see if you are more cunning than you look:

Hyde Park Corner

Seeing as how this trhread resurrects, and we are using the Calvin's Presbyterian version rues, I call the Lazarus option  and run all the way to:

Archway>Holborn>Arsenal>Tufnell Park>Hyde Park Corner

Hounslow Central

edited September 2020

Once again my PM inbox is chock full of a message from Mrs Trellis of North Wales. She writes:

"Dear Marjorie, my nephew Eisteddfod is very good with the computers. He's absolutely marvellous at watching YouTube, and he spends hours in his room playing those online computer games. But my sister says he locks the door, and she's worried that he's actually pawn surfing. I told her not to worry - after all chess is very good for the brain."

Richard Haseltine said:

Archway>Holborn>Arsenal>Tufnell Park

Now I can see the obvious next move, but that doesn't really give you any advantage - quite the reverse in fact - so whata re you up to? I suppose I will have to risk the play and see if you are more cunning than you look:

Hyde Park Corner

I'm not. smiley
    (More stupid perhaps, but not more cunning. But then cunning is as cunning does, and many a mickle makes a lot of mickles - word to the wise, eh?)

edited September 2020

Since the Lazarus option has been invoked that allows me to play...

Archway>Holborn>Arsenal>Tufnell Park>Hyde Park Corner> Hounsow Central>

Archway

edited September 2020

And surely, 2nd time round,   Archway must lead to

Archway>Holborn>Arsenal>Tufnell Park>Hyde Park Corner> Hounsow Central>Archway>

Monument

Using, of course, the good old-fashioned DCMS variant which I have just invented.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited October 2020

Interesting... 

If I correctly understand the intricacies of the good old-fashioned DCMS variant that you had just invented, that leaves only one option...

Archway>Holborn>Arsenal>Tufnell Park>Hyde Park Corner> Hounsow Central>Archway>Monument>

Archway

And I of course claim the triple word score, and the 50 point bonus for using all seven letters.

(P.S. I've only just realized how clever Richard's Earl's Court move was in the last game. I take my hat off to you sir!)