OT, Mornington Crescent: Round 8 :- (Tudor Court Rules)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2020

Aye,  I think I will take a quick trip to somewhere where I can get on my bike and take a ride to the Central Station to get back down to familiar territory. - where the trains have drivers and the travellers doon't all  have funny accents,  och aye the noo    Vauxhall > Acton Town > Cowcaddens > Ibrox >

St Enoch

Post edited by Chohole on
  • 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689

Those last few moves appear to have left the wee sassanachs rather flummoxed...

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,341

Well, that puts us within distance of the WCML, so we'll come down that to get us on the standard network. We'll go for the Bakerloo rather than the Overground, so...

Vauxhall > Acton Town > Cowcaddens > Ibrox > St Enoch >

Harrow & Wealdstone

Ah wuz expectin' that, ya wee sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous sassenach bampot !
    thwack!
    "Six !"

Vauxhall > Acton Town > Cowcaddens > Ibrox > St Enoch > Harrow & Wealdstone

Gorbals

• droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277

thwack!
    "Six !"

Gorbals

Challenge: Are proposed future changes allowed under these rules? I thought they were only allowed under the Zemeckis Delorean subset.
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Vauxhall > Acton Town > Cowcaddens > Ibrox > St Enoch > Harrow & Wealdstone > Gorbals

If you really want to enjoy life in Nidd we can oblige.

Barbican

Because I have no idea why else you'd have chosen that particular move.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

Wl' a great cry of "Ach, Crivens! we will'na be fooled agin"  we head awa' to:

Vauxhall > Acton Town > Cowcaddens > Ibrox > St Enoch > Harrow & Wealdstone > Gorbals > Barbican

Sloane Square

edited March 2020
    droidy001 said:

thwack!
    "Six !"

Gorbals

Challenge: Are proposed future changes allowed under these rules? I thought they were only allowed under the Zemeckis Delorean subset.

blushI should have realized that something was up when the official at St Enoch (I assume he was an official because he was wearing a hat) told me that the construction work at Gorbals hadn't started yet... but that he could give me the half-price sassenach discount fare if I walked.

Ascania said:

Vauxhall > Acton Town > Cowcaddens > Ibrox > St Enoch > Harrow & Wealdstone > Gorbals

If you really want to enjoy life in Nidd we can oblige.

Barbican

Because I have no idea why else you'd have chosen that particular move.

Luckily Nid's Yorkshire rules, so doesn't apply here. I was actually going for a Smart Alec play, but fell into the Hoist By One's Own Petard trap.
    So it's time for a cautious play - one stop downwind to:

Vauxhall > Acton Town > Cowcaddens > Ibrox > St Enoch > Harrow & Wealdstone > Gorbals > Barbican > Sloane Square

Victoria

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • Vauxhall > Acton Town > Cowcaddens > Ibrox > St Enoch > Harrow & Wealdstone > Gorbals > Barbican > Sloane Square > Victoria

Well, if offered Victoria what can I do but play

Mornington Crescent

edited March 2020

Vauxhall > Acton Town > Cowcaddens > Ibrox > St Enoch > Harrow & Wealdstone > Gorbals > Barbican > Sloane Square > Victoria

Well, if offered Victoria what can I do but play

Mornington Crescent

Well played. I'm not sure there was any option apart from Victoria there. The only hope was that everyone would miss the double diagonal.
    Post edited by droidy001 on
    edited March 2020

And I am going to take this straight on to round 6,  using the little known and rarely played Crwssynt Morgantonio LLwdiu variation. Interestingly this version completely ignores Reynolds’s Standard Opening and there is no such thing as a Lateral Shift in the Welsh game, if you can imagine such a thing. This leads on quite well from the previous round as a Tudor Princess married James IV of Scotland. Because of the links between aforementioned Tudors and the Tower I make a somewhat unconventional starting move by sailing down the river on a bus to >

Tower Gateway

iechyd da

Chohole said:

And I am going to take this straight on to round 6,  using the little known and rarely played Crwssynt Morgantonio LLwdiu variation. Interestingly this version completely ignores Reynolds’s Standard Opening and there is no such thing as a Lateral Shift in the Welsh game, if you can imagine such a thing. This leads on quite well from the previous round as a Tudor Princess married James IV of Scotland. Because of the links between aforementioned Tudors and the Tower I make a somewhat unconventional starting move by sailing down the river on a bus to >

Tower Gateway

iechyd da

I believe this is a legal move from Tower Gateway as it's twinned with Llandudno Junction.

Euston

It also blocks a quick win as that would require a sideways move.

Oh dear. My Welsh is pretty rusty, so we'll go with:

Banc

• Tower Gateway > Euston > Banc

Well, the obvious companion to a Banc is

Char[ing Cross]

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

I see what you did there! So accordingly 

Tower Gateway > Euston > Banc > Charing Cross >

Harlesden

I think a good next move is...

Eliffant a Castell

edited March 2020

Given my previous mistakes I won't attempt to play Stradey Park, so the rousing rendition of "Sospan Fach" will instead have to accompany...

Tower Gateway > Euston > Banc > Charing Cross > Harlesden > Eliffant a Castell

Capel Gwyn*

*i.e. Whitechapel

Oh  that leaves me aneasy move          Tower Gateway > Euston > Banc > Charing Cross > Harlesden > Eliffant a Castell > Capel Gwyn (Whitechapel) >

Baching

edited March 2020

It's a little outside the standard tube map, but I believe this a valid move under the Crwssynt Morgantonio Llwdiu rules:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Coincidentally, while I was in North Wales, I met a Mrs Trellis, who told me in great detail how she was worried Dr Livingstone was going to put his back out, having taken that missionary position in Africa.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on

It's a little outside the standard tube map, but I believe this a valid move under the Crwssynt Morgantonio Llwdiu rules:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobllllantysiliogogogoch

Coincidentally, while I was in North Wales, I met a Mrs Trellis, who told me in great detail how she was worried Dr Livingstone was going to put his back out, having taken that missionary position in Africa.

ah yes, but can you say it when calling out the move during the game?      This may help  

edited March 2020
    Chohole said:

ah yes, but can you say it when calling out the move during the game?      This may help

Although my Welsh isn't great, my grandmother was half-Welsh and lived in Wales for most of my childhood, so various holidays spent in the Brecon Beacons mean my Welsh pronunciation is okay-ish. Enough at least to know that things like W and Y are vowels, and LL and CH are considered single letters. (And certainly better than Snickers's tone-deaf tweet from yesterday about "Welsh place name or person sitting on a keyboard?")

However, apparently I still managed to spell it wrong. I notice now I missed out the "w" in "drobwll".

edited March 2020
    Chohole said:

Although my Welsh isn't great, my grandmother was half-Welsh and lived in Wales for most of my childhood, so various holidays spent in the Brecon Beacons mean my Welsh pronunciation is okay-ish. Enough at least to know that things like W and Y are vowels, and LL and CH are considered single letters. (And certainly better than Snickers's tone-deaf tweet from yesterday about "Welsh place name or person sitting on a keyboard?")

However, apparently I still managed to spell it wrong. I notice now I missed out the "w" in "drobwll".

My welsh father-in-law took me throught how to pronounce it one syllable at a time,  however as he was West Wales it's a slightly different pronunciation than here, on the cusp of the Valleys/Brecons. It was my party trick when I still lived in England. 

llydhedd

Sorry just sat on my keyboard. I'm not myself when I'm hungry. My next move is

Shepherd's Bush

edited March 2020

Tower Gateway > Euston > Banc > Charing Cross > Harlesden > Eliffant a Castell > Capel Gwyn (Whitechapel) > Baching > Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch > Shepherd's Bush >

B(r)econ[tree] (Beacons)

(The Idris The Dragon rule permits multiple bracketing)

You actually don't need to use the word Beacons for Brecon trains,  there is an old Brecon station.  Also a Brecon Mountain Railway, with nice little trains 

edited March 2020

As my last move was already in Wales, I'm going to play:

Pontarfynach (Devil's Bridge)

(Although, interestingly, a literal translation is closer to "Monk's Bridge" - it's named after the bridge over the river "Mynach", which is the Welsh for "Monk" ).

One, because as I obliquely ranted about a few pages back, I love the Veil of Rheidol. The final climb from Aberffrwd to Devil's Bridge is four miles snaking up the side of a forested Welsh river valley, which shows a) why the steam locomotives that work the line are the most powerful 2 foot gauge locomotives made for a British railway and b) why it has always been worked by steam - even after nationalisation, the Beeching cuts and modernisation (remaining part of British Rail until the network started to be re-privatised in the late 1980s). It's pure tourist railway, and those gradients and curves mean you really get to hear a steam locomotive working hard.

Two, because Devil's Bridge is also host to an important piece of Mornington Crescent history. On this poster, we can see a historical record of an early game of what would later evolve into Mornington Crescent:

And, given a choice between a game play or a History lesson I decided I had better make a game play  and from Matt's play one can only reagain  London at one station
    so Tower Gateway > Euston > Banc > Charing Cross > Harlesden > Eliffant a Castell > Capel Gwyn (Whitechapel) > Baching > Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch > Shepherd's Bush > B(r)econ[tree] (Beacons) >  Pontarfynach (Devil's Bridge) 

Angel

I've had a notification from a Mrs Trellis of North Wales. She says To whom it may concern, I'm keeping a careful eye on proceedings, you're all walking a very fine line. Should you cross that line I shall have no alternative but send Daffyd and the boys "to have a word" Without prejudice Mrs Trellis
    edited March 2020

Hmm    are you sure that was from Mrs Trellis of North wales.  To me it sounds more like someone from The Land of Moving Curtains which, as everyone knows is Cwmafan in Neath, Port Talbot,  and thus still in West Wales, or is it Mid Wales  somewhere over there ← anyway.

droidy001 said:
    I've had a notification from a Mrs Trellis of North Wales. She says To whom it may concern, I'm keeping a careful eye on proceedings, you're all walking a very fine line. Should you cross that line I shall have no alternative but send Daffyd and the boys "to have a word" Without prejudice Mrs Trellis

Chohole said:

Hmm    are you sure that was from Mrs Trellis of North wales.  To me it sounds more like someone from The Land of Moving Curtains which, as everyone knows is Cwmafan in Neath, Port Talbot,  and thus still in West Wales, or is it Mid Wales  somewhere over there ← anyway.

droidy001 said:

Definitely Mrs Trellis. I guessing in a morning before she's had a cup of tea and a couple of Woodbines.