OT, Mornington Crescent: Round 8 :- (Tudor Court Rules)

Comments

• Is that valid if you miss the connections?

This was my concern. Are there any disruptions this afternoon? If so I've put myself in Nidd
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Is that valid if you miss the connections?

Yeah. Unfortunately it is. I know just about everyone hates the Holstein Adjunct in the 1992 clarification to the 1974 adddendum to the Orthodox Classic Modern rules but unless you play Tudor it is a valid move.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2020

Well then  congrats for the win go to droidy001.   Do you want to choose a new rule set,  or maybe you would take a suggestion from me   that maybe we could play using the Bog Standard rules - points scored according to the Continuous Chain Method and will count towards league standings in the Armitage Shanks Memorial Bowl.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277
    edited February 2020
    Chohole said:

Well then  congrats for the win go to droidy001.   Do you want to choose a new rule set,  or maybe you would take a suggestion from me   that maybe we could play using the Bog Standard rules - points scored according to the Continuous Chain Method and will count towards league standings in the Armitage Shanks Memorial Bowl.

I was thinking of the Clockwork Orange Edition. This is a Glaswegian variation that incorporates the Macintosh subroutine. It ends when someone is able to legally play Ibrox. Each move must be made in the opposite direction to the last. Due to the small number of moves available repeat stations are allowed only after at least 4 moves after it was last used (5 if going anti clockwise). But I'd use your suggestion so newcomers to the game don't get too confused about the rules. Edit I also like the idea of playing for the Armitage Shanks Memorial Bowl
    Post edited by droidy001 on
    edited February 2020
    droidy001 said:
    Chohole said:

I was thinking of the Clockwork Orange Edition. This is a Glaswegian variation that incorporates the Macintosh subroutine. It ends when someone is able to legally play Ibrox. Each move must be made in the opposite direction to the last. Due to the small number of moves available repeat stations are allowed only after at least 4 moves after it was last used (5 if going anti clockwise). But I'd use your suggestion so newcomers to the game don't get too confused about the rules. Edit I also like the idea of playing for the Armitage Shanks Memorial Bowl

Aha   
    for those who don't know we had better explain

armitage shanks charity bowl
    This game is sponsored, with the teams playing for the honour of lifting the Armitage Shanks Charity Bowl. The teams would like to thank the sponsors for their generosity, and to assure them that the small alterations they requested to the Standard Game are unlikely even to be noticed by listeners. (Locations played include Baron’s Court Short, Leicester Squit, and Fair Plop.)

Starting this round off with

Hyde Park Corner

• In this case I'd like to start with

Cockfosters

Hyde Park Corner > Cockfosters

Now' that's a nasty dual start. I love me some advanced play. How about

Waterloo

Last train of course.

• Ascania said:

Waterloo

Last train of course.

Oops didn't notice that first move, but I think mine is still legit. It just required a reverse flush.
    droidy001 said:
    Ascania said:

Waterloo

Last train of course.

Oops didn't notice that first move, but I think mine is still legit. It just required a reverse flush.

yes I assumed that was what you had done.  

Ascania said:

Waterloo

Last train of course.

To make things extra easy Waterloo Mainline is irreversible if approached on the diagonal during a lateral pass.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

Ah well.. then that forces my hand to:

Canada Water

As well as being a bit of a patriotic move.....

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,328
    edited February 2020

Given that the Bazalgette amendment is valid in the Bog Standard rules, I think it's possible to go a station outside the standard network and connect to:

Crossness

(If not, then I think the tube is backed up? I'll let someone else take a plunge if it is.)

Post edited by Matt_Castle on

as an aside.. would there be any favour for a hand using the Parisian Monmartre rule set? No major rule or or scoring changes, save that Mornington Crescent becomes Morinington Croissant, and all station names are to be rendered in mock French? (oh, and the two hour lunch hour and occasional tube strikes are an optional amendment)

Crossness? Appropriate given the Bazalgette Amendment.. to get back on the mainlines, I play 

Poplar 

Ooh, interesting move. In that case, I'll play for a WC modifier, and go for:

Wembley Central

• Ooh, interesting move. In that case, I'll play for a WC modifier, and go for:

Wembley Central

Very cleaver move.

Looisham

Oh, that's a bold move. But how do you respond to:

West Kensington

A cunning play..  one can only hope to counter it with Hayduke's Gambit and call..

East Ham

edited February 2020

Hyde Park Corner > Cockfosters > Waterloo > Canada Water > Crossness > Poplar > Wembley Central  > Looisham >  West Kensington > East Ham

Given some of the places visited  I think it's going to

Turnham Green

edited February 2020

Okay, I'll take another WC bonus if no-one else wants it:

Hyde Park Corner > Cockfosters > Waterloo > Canada Water > Crossness > Poplar > Wembley Central  > Looisham >  West Kensington > East Ham > Turnham Green >

White City

• Hyde Park Corner > Cockfosters > Waterloo > Canada Water > Crossness > Poplar > Wembley Central > Looisham > West Kensington > East Ham > Turnham Green > White City

St John's Wood

edited February 2020

Well, following the same pattern as before, and as it's after midnight, I'll make an off-peak interchange move to bring us to:

Hyde Park Corner > Cockfosters > Waterloo > Canada Water > Crossness > Poplar > Wembley Central > Looisham > West Kensington > East Ham > Turnham Green > White City > St John's Wood >

Walthamstow Central

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited February 2020

Using the Thomas Crapper adjunct to the Bazalgette amendment (which extends the Bog Standard rules even deeper, allowing unfettered access to those Victorian sewers included in Bazalgette's later maps) I'll play this and claim the quadruple bonus points for the fourth visit to a WC plus triple point bonus for three WCs in a row ! I think I also need a good hosing down, but the bonus points were worth it...

Hyde Park Corner > Cockfosters > Waterloo > Canada Water > Crossness > Poplar > Wembley Central > Looisham > West Kensington > East Ham > Turnham Green > White City > St John's Wood > Walthamstow Central >

White Chapel

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
    White Chapel

Hmm. We may need a ruling on whether that's valid for the bonus score under the adjunct.

That's a particularly archaic and rare variant spelling, with it normally being rendered as a single word "Whitechapel".

edited February 2020
    White Chapel

Hmm. We may need a ruling on whether that's valid for the bonus score under the adjunct.

That's a particularly archaic and rare variant spelling, with it normally being rendered as a single word "Whitechapel".

Sorry, simple spelling mistake on my part. What I meant, of course, was Whyte Chaple, which I believe is the correct archaic (and rare) variant spelling.

Simply splitting the modern spelling would indeed be a foul move which, under the Bog Standard Rules, would place the perpetrator in khazi for two turns.

So, did I make my correction in time, or am I in khazi ?

edited February 2020

While waiting for the ruling, I noticed an open mailbag fall off one of those porters trolleys. It was literally bulging with a letter from a Mrs Trellis of North Wales. It reads:

"Dear Esther. I recently had a blockage in my S-bend. The council sent a plumber, despite my insistence that I required a civil engineer. When the plumber eventually arrived he told me that the articulated lorry stuck in the lane outside my house was outside his job description. I ask you Esther, what is the world coming to ?"

edited February 2020
    White Chapel

Sorry, simple spelling mistake on my part. What I meant, of course, was Whyte Chaple, which I believe is the correct archaic (and rare) variant spelling.

Simply splitting the modern spelling would indeed be a foul move which, under the Bog Standard Rules, would place the perpetrator in khazi for two turns.

So, did I make my correction in time, or am I in khazi ?

in the Brythonic language it could be translated to Capel Wyn,  so it does have some precedent, although it is a reverse precedent.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited February 2020

Oh dear, that is a drain down which I do not wish to flush. So I'm going to play the Last Stand card, and move direct to...

Hyde Park Corner > Cockfosters > Waterloo > Canada Water > Crossness > Poplar > Wembley Central > Looisham > West Kensington > East Ham > Turnham Green > White City > St John's Wood > Walthamstow Central > White Chapel

Waterloo

Now someone needs to roll a double 6 for victory...

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • Oh dear, that is a drain down which I do not wish to flush. So I'm going to play the Last Stand card, and move direct to...

Hyde Park Corner > Cockfosters > Waterloo > Canada Water > Crossness > Poplar > Wembley Central > Looisham > West Kensington > East Ham > Turnham Green > White City > St John's Wood > Walthamstow Central > White Chapel

Waterloo

Are repeat visits allowed under this rule set? If not you need to leave at once via the town drain down train.

Oh dear, that is a drain down which I do not wish to flush. So I'm going to play the Last Stand card, and move direct to...

Waterloo

Are repeat visits allowed under this rule set? If not you need to leave at once via the town drain down train.

Well it was mentioned,  when it was visited before,

To make things extra easy Waterloo Mainline is irreversible if approached on the diagonal during a lateral pass. 

Does that help any?