OT, Mornington Crescent: Round 8 :- (Tudor Court Rules)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Northern not Jubilee,  but certainly straight there    congrats.

Mind you the best games are the ones where everybody is holding back and trying to make the game longer without giving anyone such an easy finish. More points in a longer game.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,332
    Ascania said:

Is that a mistake? Because that move opens up the Jubilee Line, right to

Mornington Crescent

No, it was deliberate. If no-one noticed the opening, then it was the best scoring move I had at the time, it blocked off some moves for others, and it potentially put me back in the running. If someone did notice, then it at least finished a losing game for me, as any other move basically ruled me out of the competition anyway.

Basically, it was case of maybe lose quickly, or definitely lose slowly.

In any case, congratulations! Any thoughts on the ruleset for the next round?

• Congratulations. I was hoping to try the new Wozniak itube 8 XL rules. After looking into it it's just not worth it. It's not much different to the itube 7 rules or the Debian Edition for that matter, but does require all players to purchase a copy of rules at around 3x the price of a regular rule book. This edition only includes 3 lines, others are available at extra cost. The piccadilly being the most expensive and that comes with the new u2 album which must be played througout the game. Any disputes must be dealt with by officially authorised adjudicators and can take 2-3 weeks. This can cost nearly as much as a copy of the rules, and still isn't guaranteed to be sorted. It is only played at the higher level stations so you always have someone to look down on.
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

What about the Beeching Diminished rules?  Once a station is called it is not removed from the map. Those watching the game may protest. If a junction is removed those crossing it are severed. The game continues to the next round, with stations removed in the previous round still removed. Repeat until gridlock and a colapse of the economy ensues. It should be noted that when Mornington Crescent is called,no further rounds are possible, proving Beeching's logic.

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited February 2020

The Wozniak itube 8 XL rules and the Beeching Diminished rules are rather too modern for my taste, post-dating even the Original Modern Rules, so how about an older ruleset ?

We could try the Marquis Of Kings Cross rules.

Of course, that would mean using the Fisticuffs clause to settle challenges, which is rather difficult on a forum - so, on second thoughts, perhaps not.

But then again, it does allow windmilling* which is definitely entertaining !

*Oh dear, I've just seen the Urban Dictionary definition of that (a) - no link as it's not suitable for the DAZ forums), which is NOT what's being referred to... although (musical link, suitable for all ages, follows=>) Samantha says that Sven is rather good at that !
    I'm referring to both:
    (b) the movement of the arms in old-fashioned Victorian bare-knuckle boxing, as ably demonstrated by Jeremy Brett, in the role of Sherlock Holmes, here, and
    (c) the somewhat risky method of switching from one tube line to another between stations using trains passing in opposite directions.
    The Marquis Of Kings Cross rules allow both (b) and (c),but make nomention of (a).

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
    edited February 2020
    hacsart said:

What about the Beeching Diminished rules?

Hmm. The Beeching rules variants are usually pretty controversial; it's hard to argue they had much positive impact on the game, other than maybe because forcing a number of rulesets to be dropped from the tournament circuit protected them from later amendments (and thus gave rise to the Heritage variants of the game).

In fact, I can't think of many Heritage rulesets that were never dropped from the tournament rankings after Beeching.

(The Rheidol rules certainly survived, but then those were always something of an exception - while most people think that the national rulesets had been fully modernised by 1968, but the Rheidol rules actually remained until they were declared a heritage ruleset in 1989.

Actually one of my favourite rulesets, as it happens. In the classic Aberystwyth play, it does start out very slowly, but the twists and turns of the final "Devil's Bridge" manoeuvre are unlike almost anything else. Honestly, if you're not familiar with it as a heritage ruleset, it's really worth trying).

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
    edited February 2020

True that.. How about ?

Lord Knaresborough's Yorkshire variation
    "In the words of the great man, “Positional play in’t first progression is permitted only if a boon be diagonal and following a linking snicket, ginnel, or owt like it.” It really is as simple as that. Players finding themselves blocked should retire to Nidd and miss 3 goes. Rule 8 is of course void. The chairman will be in Yorkshire mode reet way through t’game."
    Hotly contested by the Lancashire Comittee, who being opposed on all things Yorkish said
    "Now't of that,lad, sithee!"  The Lancashire Convocation both explicitly outlawed Warbeck and therefore Shepherd's bush... However, players must wear a flat cap, chip butties are de reigeur, and a whippet is not to be frowned at..

Post edited by hacsart on
    edited February 2020

As a seque from the Yorkshire ruleset,I suggest in a nod to them southren jessies in London that we "get on wi' it by 'eck,Ah'reet cock?" and start round 4 at:

Blackstone Lane

• So does one jump off that track then from Blackstone Lane and transfer over to:

Lebreton Flats

Bugger! bloody autocorrect - that should have been

Blackhorse Lane..

We need a restart!

So does one jump off that track then from Blackstone Lane and transfer over to:

Lebreton Flats

edited February 2020
    hacsart said:

Bugger! bloody autocorrect - that should have been

Blackhorse Lane..

We need a restart!

Lebreton Flats

"Ey'up lad ! Dos tha' mean Black'orse Road bah gum !"

Catherine3678ab said:

Lebreton Flats

"Ey'up lass ! Dos tha' mean Pimisi bah gum !"

(does Lord Knaresborough's Yorkshire variation allow an international move this early in the game ? In fact does it allow international moves at all ? Come to think of it, does it even allow moves south of the river ?)

Well, Blackhorse Road is  a joint London Overground and London Underground station, located at the junction of Blackhorse Road/Blackhorse Lane with Forest Road. so I think its stands..

as for international moves,considering Liverpool was a major emmigration port, perhaps, but I think that would be a really long shot. Techncally anything  south of the county borders might be suspect....

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I'm never sure if the Yorkshire Variation was based on Home County rules, or the other way around. But I'm going to take a stab at

Kentish Town

(being a Kentish lad an' all)

• I'm never sure if the Yorkshire Variation was based on Home County rules, or the other way around. But I'm going to take a stab at

Kentish Town

(being a Kentish lad an' all)

Well, given the requrement to balance polarity I suppose we then have to go north - so

Oxford Street

edited February 2020

Blackhorse Road > Kentish Town >  Oxford Circus

Invoking the Bethlehem rules, for double points, I am going to

Shepherds Bush

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Khai-J-BachKhai-J-Bach Posts: 163
    edited February 2020

oh the Bethlehem Rules? not seen those since the 1993 world finals...

so. lets see...

Blackhorse Road > Kentish Town >  Oxford Circus> Shepards Bush

I shall use Cuthbert's Inverse Quartet and move to

Northfields  

Post edited by Khai-J-Bach on
    I shall use Cuthbert's Inverse Quartet and move to

Northfields  

Is Cuthbert's Inverse Quartet valid under the Ilkley Moor Amendment, or is that 'bar tat?

In any case, I see I've received no Private Messages this week, apart from one from Mrs Trellis of North Wales. It reads:

"Dear Person who put up the 'Gate must remain locked at all times' sign. If the gate is supposed to remain locked at all times, why did you not put up a fence instead? Yours Truly, Mrs Trellis."

Whilst searching for a  intake rule book, I happened to check under the sofa cushions. I found a thrupenny bit, a toy mouse ( the cat was ecstatic), several bits of Roman Samienware, one old clock,broken, and a 1955 edition of Bellweathers "Mornington Crescent - a guidebook for the Idiot". So in accordance with the Irish ruleset of 1954, which gives treble points for any station within walking distance of a pub, I shall thus move to:

Ealing Broadway

edited February 2020

as an aside, I have found on Amazon Uk..."Stovold's Mornington Crescent Almanac 2002"  and available for borrow from Archive.org."The little book of Mornington Crescent"

UPDATE - I have just purched a copy of Stovolds tome. Mrs Trellis would approve.

hacsart said:

as an aside, I have found on Amazon Uk..."Stovold's Mornington Crescent Almanac 2002"  and available for borrow from Archive.org."The little book of Mornington Crescent"

UPDATE - I have just purched a copy of Stovolds tome. Mrs Trellis would approve.

I also have just sent for a copy,   from World of books, as I prefer to deal direct with booksellers.

• Blackhorse Road > Kentish Town > Oxford Circus> Shepards Bush > Northfields > Ealing Broadway I believe that opens up the rhubarb triangle to

Cyprus

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    droidy001 said:
    Blackhorse Road > Kentish Town > Oxford Circus> Shepards Bush > Northfields > Ealing Broadway I believe that opens up the rhubarb triangle to

Cyprus

Watford Junction,
    oh so Watford Junction!

I love it when crossings go triple.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited February 2020

Dang, missed it. They're all sold out :( Plus I was gonna go Watford Junction, so I'll have to retink it....

All right, straightforward modern rules with just the low income exclusions. Gonna go posh:

Blackhorse Road > Kentish Town > Oxford Circus> Shepards Bush > Northfields > Ealing Broadway > Watford Junction

Dollis Hill

edited February 2020

Dang, missed it. They're all sold out :

If it was this that you missed,  World of books have one left    https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/books/graeme-garden/stovold-s-mornington-crescent-almanac-2002/GOR003994180

Oh   and they take PayPal  and free p&p in the UK

Hmm.. using the 24th Andrews Reversal rule (it is a a Saturday after all) 

Blackhorse Road > Kentish Town > Oxford Circus> Shepards Bush > Northfields > Ealing Broadway > Watford Junction >Dollis Hill >

Wembley Park

edited February 2020

With a triple Bazalgette and a smidgen of left-hand legspin we can now go...

Blackhorse Road > Kentish Town > Oxford Circus> Shepards Bush > Northfields > Ealing Broadway > Watford Junction >Dollis Hill > Wembley Park

Mornington Cr...

oh b***er !
    It's already Sunday here...
    so the maximum Bazalgetteage allowance is two.

Scrub that move

edited February 2020

I'll try again, but something simpler. Just a plain old diagonal switchback, which I think just about all rulesets allow, even on a Sunday.

Blackhorse Road > Kentish Town > Oxford Circus> Shepards Bush > Northfields > Ealing Broadway > Watford Junction >Dollis Hill > Wembley Park

Kensington Olympia

(obviously going for the bonus points there)

• I'm going for the win, else I'll end up in Nidd if I get it wrong. I think its worth a go.

Mornington Crescent

• Is that valid if you miss the connections?