Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited August 2018

What the heck is going on with the forums? You know at the upper right corner where it shows the pages? <<1....43  44  45  etc?  I have two identical rows of that, one above the other- and I can't get to page 49 of this thread!  WEIRD.

Anyway, would any PAs who would like to have some fun judging the Not So Fast! contest PM me. The renders will be done August 31st and I've set up a quick and easy Survey Monkey voting question for when it's time to vote in about a week. PAs  just rank their choices from 1st to 5th place. There will be slightly over 10 renders to peruse. All in all, should take about 15 minutes total I think.

I've already sent out invitations to some of the PAs and already have four fun judges in the first few minutes. :)  Such good sports!  Voting is confidential (I've run many contests, people know that I never discuss who voted how, just the final results.) 

PAs will vote on creativity, who used the product combination the best, and just "I like it!" in general. This was just funky fun.

Thanks so much! 

Post edited by Novica on

Well, the cart is changing like crazy. The store showed 66%, the cart did $0 off. Then the cart went 30%, then 65% and I hopped on it and checked out. (Those were just the new releases, didn't do many of the featured stores. Scooped up the 65% off ones that I could quickly see wishlisted in the stores.)  I take it that it's supposed to be 65% if you are a PC+ member, or is this a fluke? 

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    Novica said:

Well, the cart is changing like crazy. The store showed 66%, the cart did $0 off. Then the cart went 30%, then 65% and I hopped on it and checked out. (Those were just the new releases, didn't do many of the featured stores. Scooped up the 65% off ones that I could quickly see wishlisted in the stores.)  I take it that it's supposed to be 65% if you are a PC+ member, or is this a fluke? 

Please remember to show a screenshot so we can see which items you mean. Thanks.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Yes, today's new releases are all DOs, so they should be 65% off for PC+ members. Same with any DOs in the featured artists' catalogs.

(Also, check, your PMs...)

edited August 2018

Hey folks, don't forget to keep an eye on Fast Grab. They've been doing a better job this past week or two in changing the products. Also a reminder to use your PC+ coupons before the end of the month.

When did the PA Festival start next year? Should be coming up shortly.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2018

I bought Zaquida and may be able to do a render shortly. Depends on the chores my hubby has in mind when he gets home from running errands LOL. Looking at her avatar in the Characters, she's darker than in the promos. We'll see. Anyone else buy her/ render her yet?

EDIT  WOW she's a lot darker! Just loaded her in the scene.

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

When did the PA Festival start next year?

I'm afraid I lost my crystal ball—I'm positive one of the cats thought it was a toy , and in the process of playing, batted it somewhere I'd never think to look. Though the hubby dropping and breaking it, then throwing away the evidence is a distinct possibility, too—anyway, I no longer have a way to check anything in the future. Downright annoying, that.
    angel laugh devil

edited August 2018

And here I thought you were the All-Seeing, All-Knowing L'Adair. I'm disappointed.  crying   

You smartie pants!  The next time you make a mistake I'm going to POUNCE LOL!

Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2018
    Novica said:

And here I thought you were the All-Seeing, All-Knowing L'Adair. I'm disappointed.  crying   

You smartie pants!  The next time you make a mistake I'm going to POUNCE LOL!

For some silly reason, I think that should be "last"…(snicker)

Anyway, just promise me you'll have as much fun! lol (And it shouldn't be long. I make mistakes all the time!)

Post edited by L'Adair on
    Novica said:

Hey folks, don't forget to keep an eye on Fast Grab. They've been doing a better job this past week or two in changing the products. Also a reminder to use your PC+ coupons before the end of the month.

There are four TangoAlpha products in Fast Grab right now. I've been wanting the Parthenon Club and Pathenon Bank since they were released. I think 70% off was worth waiting.

It's also a very good day for futuristic weapons, if you're into that.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,129
    Novica said:

When did the PA Festival start next year? Should be coming up shortly.

1st day of September last year - last day was 15th October.

My crystal ball tells me that next year might be August 30th because September 1st is a Sunday next year - but I wouldn't rely on that crystal ball as it's looking cloudy since I had to throw it at someone. By the same token, this year it might start August 31st because September 1st is a Saturday this year and they seem to like starting on a weekday (probably a good idea bearing in mind the way big sales often collapse in an ugly heap early on).

edited August 2018

Zaquida for Gen8F   PW Snorkel Island   dForce Summer Socialite Outfit (Gen8F)      dForce Summer Socialite Textures

@spows  Suggestion- for your studio thumbnails, it would be better to get closer views of the eyes for the makeup.    Second, consider providing options without the eyeliner. You have a nice variety of eyeshadow but it all has the eyeliner. 

@PWProductions   Your Snorkel Island is delightful! A suggestion for you- the main house would be better at World Center IMO. Characters load at World Center and my character was buried out in vegetation away from the main house. 

Observations on Snorkel Island: 
    *Renders at a good speed, won't bog down slower computers.  Example,  46% at 10 minutes (with everything not in the scene turned off) 20 minutes was 82%. Done 40 minutes. 
    *The skydome is quite lovely and gives a beautiful rose hue to the scene. 
    *I'd give the sand some bump/displacement. A bit smooth. Although sand that gets weathered does get crusty and hard, I'd like a variety. Maybe do a dFormer and small   dunes. 
    *A lot of nice little details, such as the vegetation climbing up, the lanterns, nuts and bolts on the pier, etc. 

Observations on Zaquida:
    *I definitely want different makeup options as other than default, you are stuck with eyeliner.  
    *Nice skin with little dark spots for realism. 
    *Mouth takes expressions well. 

Forum is doing it AGAIN. Saying No File Chosen when they are! 

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Shown with Karissa Hair, which we've featured many times.

Zaquida Snorkel Island.png
    1000 x 700 - 2M
    Zaquida Snorkel Island2.png
    600 x 700 - 976K
    Zaquida Snorkel Island3.png
    600 x 700 - 846K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118

Wow! Your Zaquida looks soooo much better than the promo images that were so washed out. I wouldn't have considered her before, but now she is a contender.

Thanks, she was a surprise with the skin tone. She is a LOT darker than the promos. I masked and lightened her in the second one (with her on the porch.)  Even then, she's dark! The portrait one, the Exposure Value was 14 and Film ISO 160 (I normally do 135)  and Crush Blacks was also turned down. 

edited August 2018

I bought the dForce Alicia Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s) in a recent sale. I am pleased with how well it drapes in dForce. It also comes with a nice pair of shoes. The outfit comes with 6 material choices, so you don't even have to buy a separate textures product to go with it. The dress has several surfaces so it is fun to play with shaders on it, too. The shoes also have quite a few surfaces, but I didn't try shaders on them.The yellow dress example below uses the DG Iray Tropical Fabric Shaders, which is another product I like a lot.

Another nice think about the Alicia dress is that the buttons are separate and are attached with rigid follow nodes, so their position can easily be tweaked if they get embedded in the fabric or drift too far from the fabric surface. That also prevents the buttons from getting distorted. 

G8F Alica Dress sitting on table.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 1M
    Stephanie 8 mix Alicia Dress.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    G8F Fara kneeling sitting Alicia Dress.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    G8F Fara kneeling sitting Alicia Dress_002.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited August 2018

The (IM)Perfect Lawn-Essential Grasslands Flowers and Plants      VYK Janice For Genesis 8 Female    Looking Back Outfit (Gen8F)     Royal Pavillion      Manor House

If you have $1.99 then you can get a nice manor for background scenes which matches the white/gray marble of several pavillions. And it's easy to change the surface color. 

Another happy fluke, I loaded the (IM)Perfect Lawn then loaded the Royal Pavillion, and the flowers ended up perfectly inside the oval so I just left them there! 

You can tell just how much Janice is enjoying the family vacation, touring all the classic architecture. She'd rather be anywhere else! 

VYK Janice Royal Pavillion The Manor Looking Back.png
    600 x 700 - 902K
    VYK Janice Royal Pavillion The Manor Looking Back2.png
    600 x 700 - 817K
    Post edited by Novica on

I hope your boys are nowhere near the Jacksonville incident today. 

Yeah, that is really, really concerning. Football isn't a game they do, but they do go to tournaments. One son just got back from Virginia and is headed to Arizona this fall for another one. 

Bammm! Folks were spot-on about the PA sale starting today. :) 

edited August 2018

Well, for all of you who slept through it, this is what you missed for ALL the Genesis 2 items till about 2:08am Central time. (It's over now , and yes, it went that way in the cart too.)

In other words, everything on the page was free. I've never seen this percentage off before, quite interesting. 

sale glitch.png
    817 x 536 - 474K
    Post edited by Novica on

I'm real sorry I missed that. It would be funny to see an entire page or two of products with such bizarre discounts!

I doubt I would have "bought" anything, though. Being Genesis 2, I've already got everything I wanted. Now Genesis 3…? I'd have picked up a "few" things at that price.
    laugh

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

i've only just looked at my email from ati's add on and started laughing at the 3011% off prices. LOL. The ONE time I don't check the store at new release time...LOL. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

I have a couple time seen things appear to be free right when the were put up for sale as brand new items but they didn't go into the cart as free items. Unfortunately I missed those last night. Last bunch of really good products I got for free by mistake (or so I think) was last November when I got 3 pro bundles for free for buying some product that was already on sale cheap.

I got the Small World Camera 360 but don't know when I'll have time to play with it. (Fast Grab)  Looks like fun though! 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    Novica said:

I got the Small World Camera 360 but don't know when I'll have time to play with it. (Fast Grab)  Looks like fun though! 

I've got the same problem- I own a ton of great products but rarely have time to use them. I bought this when it came out and really need to do something with it.

Well, for those of us who missed seeing this phenomena, you can see a screenshot of the store here, posted by @msam921 in a thread in The Commons.

I never saw the -10,000, even when people were telling me about it. Wonder why some of us were in the -3,000 to -4000 and other people were in that range? Are there different servers across the country/world?  Florida was in the lower ranges. Anyone in Florida see the -10,000 at the time?

Novica said:

I never saw the -10,000, even when people were telling me about it. Wonder why some of us were in the -3,000 to -4000 and other people were in that range? Are there different servers across the country/world?  Florida was in the lower ranges. Anyone in Florida see the -10,000 at the time?

Daz uses CloudFlare so people are downloading the site from cloud servers relatively close to them physically. It takes time to propogate all the CloudFlare servers, which is why most of us don't see the changeover until 10-60 minutes after Daz Midnight. (Also why some folks see "100% discounts" on new releases at the changeover, too.) That would also explain why some people saw the -10000% discounts while others did not.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

I missed the big deal. But I own a ton of gen 2 content already so no big deal for me.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I would have been sadder if it had been G3 or G8. I have so much Genesis 2 that I don't use already. Must get back to rendering...

This discussion has been closed.