Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

What is Daz Midnight for us on the east coast?  This always confuses me.

I totally missed it but if its on a night where I work the next day, I tend to not even try

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited August 2018

I totally missed it but if its on a night where I work the next day, I tend to not even try

Midnight in Utah is Rocky Mountain Time, so here's the breakdown for the continental US:

Eastern: 2:00am

Central: 1:00am

Rocky Mtn: 12:00am

Pacific: 11:00pm

Currently, that's Daylight Saving time…

ETA: Got this from Google, for the entire US, modified to reflect Daz Midnight:

Eastern Daylight Time   (i.e. Washington, DC (GMT-4))   2:00 am
    Central Daylight Time  
    (i.e. Chicago (GMT-5))   1:00am
    Mountain Daylight Time  
    (i.e. Denver (GMT-6))   12:00 am
    Mountain Standard Time  
    (i.e. Phoenix (GMT-7))    11:00 pm
    Pacific Daylight Time  
    (i.e. Los Angeles (GMT-7))    11:00 pm
    Alaska Daylight Time  
    (i.e. Anchorage (GMT-8))    10:00 pm
    Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time  
    (i.e. Honolulu (GMT-10))   8:00 pm

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    edited August 2018

Well  I like free, except for the Victoria 4, etc generation. Never use that, and really don't use Genesis 2 anymore. But what the heck, they were free, and so here's one on Genesis 3 with the auto fit (or SickleYield's product that pops up automatically, I'm never sure what I'm using!) The first one I'm testing on Genesis 3 went on like a charm- even the boots did really well. The heels may be slightly bent.   A really good fit onto Genesis 3 Female. I'd put a practical black bodysuit / corset like Skinz under this to cover the tummy. I'm not into fantasy/impractical. Imagine the mosquito bites out in the woods with this getup.  Edit: I Iray UberBased the materials, don't know if that made a difference or not. 

It wouldn't let me add a dForce modifier Dynamic Surface to the shoulder piece though. dForce was useless, all I got was error messages and I don't care enough to explore that further I had it selected in scene, after I added the dynamic surface when I ran the simulation it said there was no dForce item to be modified. Cleared it, tried again, same thing. Moving on,  I just ended up breaking it down in Scene then scaling down the piece on her shoulder. 

So this is Sword Dancer (Genesis 2 F) on Genesis 3F.  Then closeup is on Genesis 3F Lolita for Aiko 7. I don't think I've rendered her before!  EmJay Hair (Gen3 /8F) I don't think I have, either. 

BTW that chest piece that floats a bit off the chest, that's the way it is in the promos so I left it that way. You can MAYBE break it down in Scene and lower it. Otherwise, in Parameters, you're really, really limited to just "Expand All" for adjustments for the "cloak." 

sword dancer on g3.png
    350 x 700 - 383K
    sword dancer on g3 2.png
    350 x 700 - 298K
    sword dancer on g3 3.png
    525 x 700 - 726K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    L'Adair said:

Midnight in Utah is Rocky Mountain Time, so here's the breakdown for the continental US:

Central Daylight Time  
    Mountain Daylight Time  
    Mountain Standard Time  
    Pacific Daylight Time  
    Alaska Daylight Time  

Thanks.  My sleep is more important than hoping to catch a fluke between 1:00AM - 2:00AM.  Elementary students can be a challenge with being sleep deprived.

gitika1 said:
    L'Adair said:

Central Daylight Time  
    Mountain Daylight Time  
    Mountain Standard Time  
    Pacific Daylight Time  
    Alaska Daylight Time  

Thanks.  My sleep is more important than hoping to catch a fluke between 1:00AM - 2:00AM.  Elementary students can be a challenge with being sleep deprived.

I'm guessing they can be challenging even with a good nights sleep!

Thank you very much for the break down L'Adair.  Definitely not happening on a work night.

• NathNath Posts: 2,708
    Novica said:

I never saw the -10,000, even when people were telling me about it. Wonder why some of us were in the -3,000 to -4000 and other people were in that range? Are there different servers across the country/world?  Florida was in the lower ranges. Anyone in Florida see the -10,000 at the time?

Not in Florida, but it looks from a screenshot someone posted that the 10000 was on Zevo's stuff, which I all own for that generation, so I didn't see it on the page.

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,157

Lolita looks good in her new outfit @Novica. Those cropped trousers look very useful for kitbashing.

edited August 2018

@mollytabby  Thanks. :)  

Here's my first PA Festival purchase, Wasteland Settlement  I thought it offered some unique aspects which differed from other apocalyptic settings. I love the trailer with the shack on top of it. I didn't add any lights and you can easily see inside the trailer if you change your dome to Y Orientation to 270. 

G7 Bio Suit (Gen3F)     Olivette for Tween Josie 7
    I think the red glow is coming from the outfit. I see it in the promos. Rather neat! 

I love the textures of this set, amazing job! @porsimo really makes this grungy and every part of the settlement has attention to detail.

Olivette Wasteland Settlement.png
    736 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,237

Nice I also picked up that set but haven't looked at it yet

edited August 2018

Wasteland Settlement 

Click the before and after to see the difference in the sand in the background. Simply mask areas with glare "burn out" and add a few strokes of darker color from the other sand. My technique is to mask, increase midtones so I can see where the detail should be, then do strokes from there. Sometimes all you have to do is mask then increase midtones/shadows. 

You can also invert the mask so when you sharpen/adjust the rest of the scene, you don't mess with what you just did. 

I love selecting the areas with the magic wand tool, then using the brush mask to fine tune it if needed.

Wanted to mention Dumor's Apocalyptic Plant Outdoors light set is being used, and the background (dome) is very compatible/complementary with this Wasteland Settlement. 

Open both and click back and forth. :) 

Olivette Wasteland Settlement 2.png
    736 x 900 - 1M
    Olivette Wasteland Settlement 3.png
    736 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

Also, just a note- if you are shopping elsewhere, don't forget the 20% off minimum $10 purchase. I almost checked out then thought to look under Deals. Some vendors aren't participating, as usual. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,684
    edited August 2018
    L'Adair said:

Well, for those of us who missed seeing this phenomena, you can see a screenshot of the store here, posted by @msam921 in a thread in The Commons.

Damn! Another major glitch I missed! My luck sucks at this! But I'm glad Daz paid the PAs for their mistake! 

Sorry I had to miss all the fun and games of the contest but as fun as it looked, I just had (and still have) too much RL stress and stuff going on... I'm actually avoiding major critical stuff I need to do right now by escaping into here.

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,684

While looking at products the other day, I actually found a Daz Original promo with a woman's breast and nipples showing LOL! If anyone wants to try to find it, that could be a game (sorry, no prize--I'm broke.) Or if nobody wants to play, I can just post it, I thought it was funny since it's a Daz Original and has been around for quite a while (hint)! 

• While looking at products the other day, I actually found a Daz Original promo with a woman's breast and nipples showing LOL! If anyone wants to try to find it, that could be a game (sorry, no prize--I'm broke.) Or if nobody wants to play, I can just post it, I thought it was funny since it's a Daz Original and has been around for quite a while (hint)! 

Sounds like an interesting pic. Post the link. 

Need more clues than that!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942

Just search for 'boobs;, shouldn't get too many hits ... cheeky

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    Novica said:

Also, just a note- if you are shopping elsewhere, don't forget the 20% off minimum $10 purchase. I almost checked out then thought to look under Deals. Some vendors aren't participating, as usual. 

Thanks for the heads-up.  Haven't shopped there in awhile, spent quite a bit when some vendors were doing 50% off their store.

SimonJM said:

Just search for 'boobs;, shouldn't get too many hits ... cheeky

Haha right! 

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,762

it's a Daz Original and has been around for quite a while (hint)! 

That narrows it down to maybe 6000 items (guessing at how long "quite a while" might mean). Care to provide a more informative hint?

edited August 2018

Selma (Gen3F)              Celtic Princess (Gen2F)              Sexy Skinz Lace Bodysuits (Gen3F)             Sexy Skinz Gloves        Aged Leathers For Iray 
    Costume Jewelry Shaders for Iray             Alicia Armor Outfit (Gen3) (Boots) 

This is another of the Genesis 2 outfits and it goes on very nicely to Genesis 3, so keep it in mind. I used the bodysuit under it, Aged Leathers for the outfit (the costume jewelry shaders are the metal trim) and the Alicia Armor Outfit for the boots. Had to create that light material zone, boots are all one zone. 

I wasn't sure if the gloves are supposed to have the fingers open or not, so I just left them that way. They'd be easy to color in. 

FR Selma G3 G2 Celtic Princess.png
    736 x 900 - 800K
    FR Selma G3 G2 Celtic Princess 2.png
    500 x 900 - 424K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Selma (Gen3F)              Celtic Princess (Gen2F)              Sexy Skinz Lace Bodysuits (Gen3F)             Sexy Skinz Gloves        Aged Leathers For Iray 
    Costume Jewelry Shaders for Iray             Alicia Armor Outfit (Gen3) (Boots) 

This is another of the Genesis 2 outfits and it goes on very nicely to Genesis 3, so keep it in mind. I used the bodysuit under it, Aged Leathers for the outfit (the costume jewelry shaders are the metal trim) and the Alicia Armor Outfit for the boots. Had to create that light material zone, boots are all one zone. 

I wasn't sure if the gloves are supposed to have the fingers open or not, so I just left them that way. They'd be easy to color in. 

I'm pretty sure those are the fingernails of the figure. The product page lists a "01 Nails ON/OFF Utility Preset" for that.

I have the Sexy Skinz Gloves, but I haven't used them in a while. I don't remember if these use LIE on the Arms skin material, or a geometry shell. (At some point, the Skinz products stopped using LIE and went to the shells instead.) I think all the Skinz products are great, though I don't own all of them.

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,157

That’s stunning @Novica! I haven’t seen those shaders before and they’ve gone straight onto my wish list.

edited August 2018

@mollytabby   The costume jewelry shaders have some with really neat patterns too. I've featured them before, I think it was last year. If you reduce the tiling it makes some very elegant, dainty designs on clothing. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2018

VYK Esme      Choppy Bob Hair (Gen3F)     Gypsy Outfit (Genesis 2 Females)   

This Genesis 2 Female outfit goes on GREAT to Genesis 3 characters, with the very BIG exception of the hood/cloak. That thing has no adjustments (that I could find) and is stiff as a board so far as bending. There's bend/twist for the entire cloak- but it does the head part too.  I didn't find a  way to focus on bones for the cloak, even went in the Scene tab  and tried upper/lower chest, etc- and again, just the bend/twist existed in Parameters and it affected the head part no matter what I selected.  So if you get this at a discount, it's very much worthwhile, but NOT if you want an outfit for the hood/cloak.

With the SY Hat and Hair Helper I was able to get most of the hair under the hood, but with the stiff cloak it was a no-go. The cloak also raises up really high off the shoulder, and again,unless I just missed it,  ALL of it has to be rotated to get it lowered. (I always know there's a possibility I missed something, but I went back and forth from the Scene to the Parameters tab for the cloak, checking  around the chest, head, etc) 

It's a pretty outfit. I did hide the leg sash  for the bent leg, it wasn't showing much and not worth the effort of even looking to see if it could be bent. You can see the left leg sash. 

Also note- the "round metal" thingies at her stomach that are somewhat floating can NOT be adjusted. You can hide them in Surfaces if they float too much for your pose. I showed them so you could see them, otherwise I would have opagued them out.

VYK Esme G3 Gypsy OutfitG2 Choppy Bob Hr.png
    677 x 800 - 694K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2018

VYK Esme     Bella Mane Hair (Gen3/8F) 

Since this was in Fast Grab, (and may still be in one of the categories) I thought I'd show the Bella Mane Hair. Also, a tip when you add hair to the front roots-

TIP: after you draw your individual strands, enlarge the brush greatly, increase the transparency and softness- and do extremely large strokes over the root area for a general "shadow."  Think of this as a large area of haze, which softens the area. 

Click the before and after. These will open in separate windows.

VYK Esme G3 Bella Mane Hair.png
    677 x 800 - 651K
    VYK Esme G3 Bella Mane Hair2.png
    677 x 800 - 650K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,804

The postwork makes a big difference.

This statement makes no sense for a clothing converter.
    The Clothing Converter script does not work with props (e.g., swords, wands, etc) and wearables (e.g., outfits). 

If it doesn't work with outfits, which are clothes, what would it work with?

Man, someone had too much time on their hands. DId you see the graphic making the rounds on August 18th?  On Saturday the 18th of this year, at 18 minutes after 8pm(or am) it was 8-18-18   8:18               

edited August 2018
    Novica said:

This statement makes no sense for a clothing converter.
    The Clothing Converter script does not work with props (e.g., swords, wands, etc) and wearables (e.g., outfits). 

If it doesn't work with outfits, which are clothes, what would it work with?

"Wearables" refers to complete outfit presets, as opposed to the individual items in the set. To create a Wearable Preset, for example, you fit the clothing, accessories, props, etx., onto the figure. Then you select the figure, go to the menu, select Save As, and then select Wearable Preset. In the resulting dialog window, everything on the figure, (I think it has to be parented,) is listed and already checked. You can deselect any of the items, if there is something you don't want in the preset. There is a Pose tab, as well, where you can select some or all of the pose. This is convenient when you've posed the feet for the boots, or the hand for the sword, and so on. Now save the preset.

(The site is sure acting up. I had a tough time writing this reply!)

Post edited by L'Adair on

Yes anything marked wardrobe will be converted, but she has done an update and now many of the accessory work as well.  Not all of them and not props or things like swords etc., but a fair amount.  I've got to run the script again, but I've got to get all of the converted stuff into my custom categories first lol.

This discussion has been closed.