Carrara Challenge #40 NOIR WIP - A warm welcome to our PA sponsor, Fenric

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Ted, thank you for a very correct and artistic description of Masha character.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930
    edited June 2018

hya here's soemthing from me one with no post work, t'other with a little hand colouring

the image uses green b and w flter combined with Toon!Part111 and also uses Toon!Pro with line colour set to object colour

the testure at the top from light source is from a spot with a light speher with turbulence ticked - gives that grainy look

the bit of grunge on the hands and coat are from a light gel using one of my other noir renders as the gel

the reflection on the lenses is just a texture map of one of my other noir renders

the coloured one is from a material diffuse render pass pasted over the b and w and turned into a colour parameter in PS

then I added a little sloppy hand colouring

third is a combo of material diffuse and diffuse render passes

EDIT Following text adds more explication 

one with no post work, the second with a little hand colouring  third is render passes added to each other in ps

• first image uses a free  green b and w flter combined with Carrara's inbuilt Toon!Part111  - and also uses a purchased plugin  Toon!Pro with line colour set to object colour

the texture at the top from light source is from a spot with a light speher with turbulence ticked - gives that grainy look

the bit of grunge on the hands and coat are from a light gel using one of my other renders as the gel

the reflection on the lenses is just a texture map of one of my other noir renders

• the second coloured one is from a material diffuse render pass (Carrara will render out about 15 ?? types of render passes natively - including line work, diffuse textures, shadows, object pass { for isolating different objects for later post work - }

the material diffuse pass was pasted over the b and w and turned into a colour parameter in PS - then I added a little sloppy hand colouring to detune it

• third is a combo of material diffuse and diffuse render passes combined in ps - the material diffuse pass comes out as just textures (?) without shadows so it is ideal for use in this kind of work where you don't want dense shadows . The shadows in tis image come from the diffuse render pass. There is no line work in this because it doesn involve the Toon!Pro plugin -

Doc2NoPostwork.jpg
    1451 x 2000 - 919K
    Doc12.jpg
    1451 x 2000 - 2M
    Doc2_MaterialDiffuse.jpg
    1451 x 2000 - 1M
    setup2.jpg
    2384 x 1353 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

@Headwax - wonderful choices, love Chinatown.  I like the cig smoke in the 2nd.

@Evilproducer - excellent bridge - congrats for the site recognition.  Thanks again for the V4 procedural skin shader.  Have to admit that I haven't really used it on a figure directly, but I have taken it apart to see how it works, and have used the principles for creating shaders for my own characters.  For those interested in experimenting with Carrara skin shaders, I also recommend a thread by Jonstark if it can be tracked down.

edited June 2018

thanks Selina et Diomede :)

I just noticed that Jack doesnt appear to have a seat behind him - just the back seat - so better fix that

original pic here 

in mine I rendered out a city scene and blurred it ps then used it as a texture behind the car on a plane - but ended up not being bale to see it

this is a classy poster ,-----------------------------------

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited June 2018

Sorry for being absent for the past few weeks. There is so much to comment on...you are all so talented!!

I wanted my entry to be so much more complex, but here I am, actually with my original inspiration, something from a David Lynch film.

I still have, what 48 hours to finish?

Title is, from the dialog (from what I can hear...)

"Mother! They're Still Not Sure It Is A Baby!"

For me there is a lot to do. Textures for Mrs. X and Mary X. Facial expressions for both. HairDoos.  Accoutrements in the background. Lighting.

Won't load the reference image because of copyright, but...so classic

Cheers all!

lego_eraserhead_007_web.jpg
    1600 x 800 - 293K
    directors_plus.jpg
    787 x 837 - 100K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

Sorry for being absent for the past few weeks. There is so much to comment on...you are all so talented!!

I wanted my entry to be so much more complex, but here I am, actually with my original inspiration, something from a David Lynch film.

For me there is a lot to do. Textures for Mrs. X and Mary X. Facial expressions for both. HairDoos.  Accoutrements in the background. Lighting.

Cheers all!

that's a classic - not sure whether you need much more 

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Thanks head wax!
    Like I mentioned I want to make the hairdoos for Mrs. X and Mary X and their appropriate facial expressionos, plus their lego painted flat wardrobe.
    Have to sleep now...Ah, that's what I wanted to explore, 'Dark City'..."Sleep Now!"...

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,851
    Vyusur said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Tears in the Rain No.2

I tried over a dozen spots for the rim lights, this is the one that I liked best.

Hi, Bunyip! Here is my sample scene with a couple of rim lights. You can use it if you like.

Many thank yous Vyusur !!!!!!!!

head wax said:

hya here's soemthing from me one with no post work, t'other with a little hand colouring

the image uses green b and w flter combined with Toon!Part111 and also uses Toon!Pro with line colour set to object colour

the testure at the top from light source is from a spot with a light speher with turbulence ticked - gives that grainy look

the bit of grunge on the hands and coat are from a light gel using one of my other noir renders as the gel

the coloured one is from a material diffuse render pass pasted over the b and w and turned into a colour parameter in PS

then I added a little sloppy hand colouring

third is a combo of material diffuse and diffuse render passes

EDIT Following text adds more explication 

one with no post work, the second with a little hand colouring  third is render passes added to each other in ps

• first image uses a free  green b and w flter combined with Carrara's inbuilt Toon!Part111  - and also uses a purchased plugin  Toon!Pro with line colour set to object colour

the texture at the top from light source is from a spot with a light speher with turbulence ticked - gives that grainy look

the bit of grunge on the hands and coat are from a light gel using one of my other renders as the gel

• the second coloured one is from a material diffuse render pass (Carrara will render out about 15 ?? types of render passes natively - including line work, diffuse textures, shadows, object pass { for isolating different objects for later post work - }

the material diffuse pass was pasted over the b and w and turned into a colour parameter in PS - then I added a little sloppy hand colouring to detune it

• third is a combo of material diffuse and diffuse render passes combined in ps - the material diffuse pass comes out as just textures (?) without shadows so it is ideal for use in this kind of work where you don't want dense shadows . The shadows in tis image come from the diffuse render pass. There is no line work in this because it doesn involve the Toon!Pro plugin -

Very nice, wicked nose job too !!!!

Cheers all!

Looks great DesertDude !!!!

Vyusur said:

“Film Noir”

Rendered with Octane plugin for Carrara. BW effect was achieved by desaturating in render target settings. No postwork.

Excellent !!!!!!

edited June 2018

Smokin Try number 3 - I saved a version 2 but had the file open error again !!!!!!

To make the character in the scene along with his car stand out I placed a vertical plane in front of the buildings along the edge of the road, I adjusted the shader for the vertical plane so that it was grey in colour with 50% transperancy. This made the background appear a bit 2D in the image, but I am happy with the effect.

Carrara setup

Raw render

Black and white post-work

Smokin 3 Carrara setup.png
    2279 x 1040 - 605K
    Smokin 3b col 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Smokin 3b bw 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited June 2018

- DesertDude - so happy it is coming together for you in time.  Your images seem pretty entry ready now.  Look forward to your last minute updates.  I am obviously a fan of the lego figures.  yes

- Bunyip - no end of file error can defeat you (hope you get whatever is causing these fixed soon).  Great to see these make the entry thread.

- I may or may not have some last minute changes. I've been putting together a substitute Santa, but I am likely to be distracted with the release of Felton (see today's new releases).  So cool.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited June 2018

Did I mention substitute Santa?  Created an overweight toon mesh for my general use (not overweight enough for Santa, but a morph can fix that).  By toon, I don't mean Brash and Moxie style heroic comics, I mean more like the 3-fingered polar postman, "masha," and Don Laredo figures I'm using during this challenge.  Note to purists, the real Masha who hangs out with the bear has 4 fingers and thumb on each hand, not three.  

The WIP worthy steps for the (hopefully) substitute Santa center on the hair, beard, and eyebrows.  I used Carrara's 3D paint to create density maps to control placement in the shader tree.  I may update my entry, but more likely I will stay up playing with Felton.

bb12 santa wip.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 32K
    bb02 beard and hair area.JPG
    1892 x 888 - 125K
    bb03 repeat for eyebrows.JPG
    1859 x 904 - 117K
    bb08 comb and cut hair but too much so need density map in shader.JPG
    1788 x 970 - 204K
    bb09 map in shader controls density.JPG
    1786 x 857 - 124K
    bb13 Santa closeup.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 61K
    bb14 santa mesh.JPG
    1250 x 1030 - 113K
    edited June 2018

This is what I came up with. I switched out my entry.

Rachel racketeer update.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 81K
    edited June 2018

Here is the new setup.  The ground plane is just a shadow catcher.  

cc01 setup.JPG
    1035 x 774 - 89K

thanks Bunyip!

@Bunyip02 That's a great idea adding that plane with the texture to reduce how it stood out and separate the fore and backgrounds 

Selina said:

@headwax did you say that you weren't going to use the city background because the light shone on it? You perhaps know this already, but you can select which elements are lit by any given light source or not as the case may be. Then if you find the textured plane too dark, move the map from the  colour channel to the glow channel and use the 'brightness' slider to adjust to taste - just a thought...

thanks @Selina, yes, It's just that the plane was off screen, sorry about my poor explication !

Diomede said:

Did I mention substitute Santa?  Created an overweight toon mesh for my general use (not overweight enough for Santa, but a morph can fix that).  By toon, I don't mean Brash and Moxie style heroic comics, I mean more like the 3-fingered polar postman, "masha," and Don Laredo figures I'm using during this challenge.  Note to purists, the real Masha who hangs out with the bear has 4 fingers and thumb on each hand, not three.  

The WIP worthy steps for the (hopefully) substitute Santa center on the hair, beard, and eyebrows.  I used Carrara's 3D paint to create density maps to control placement in the shader tree.  I may update my entry, but more likely I will stay up playing with Felton.

Ted you have the job of decorating our dept store windows for Christmas ;

Diomede said:

edited June 2018

this one be Scarface - toon1part11 and Toon!pro combined 

smoke is from transmaps applied to planes

b and w is no postwork

I pat a plane with a gradient map in the alpha chennel in front of the figure to make the bottom part daker

cheers

scarface.jpg
    1154 x 2000 - 523K
    Doc22.jpg
    1451 x 2514 - 2M
    setup1.jpg
    2103 x 1379 - 867K

Expressive portrait, Andrew! The second one is my favorite. But where is his right thumb? The gun have to fall out of the hand without this thumb.

edited March 2021

Vyusur said:

Expressive portrait, Andrew! The second one is my favorite. But where is his right thumb? The gun have to fall out of the hand without this thumb.

Thank you Veronika ;) Ah this is " Thumbless Scarface " - yes you are right - thumbs are handy - for hitchhiking and holding guns !

Selina said:

Great image Headwax, has a deep emotional impact on the viewer - I took an instant dislike to the character cheeky

Thank you Selina, yes he is Mr Sleeze !

Oh I see!

edited June 2018

Couple more changes.  Had a chance to render render a suitable background, create some joint fix morphs for Rachel's jacket, pose Rachel's head so she is actually looking where she is shooting, and similar fixes.  Hopefully, these last minute changes have been incremental improvements.

Rachel Racketeer Entry Version 3.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 89K
    edited June 2018

Updated the other entry with Rachel for the hair color.

Pinup Steal Uniform 09 fix hair entry.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 696K
    edited March 2021

Selina said:

WIP:

"Ruby Hot Lips"

You've seen the progress - just not all on here !

Maltesers:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3700096/#Comment_3700096
    Victoria 2.4 shaders:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3705446/#Comment_3705446
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3708936/#Comment_3708936
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3713731/#Comment_3713731
    Hat:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3638411/#Comment_3638411
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3638871/#Comment_3638871

This saucy minx loves nothing more than to finish a hard 'job' with a mouth watering round of succulent malted chocolate. It wouldn't be ecstasy if it didn't melt between her hot lips and smooth its way down to a satisfying climax...

Stealth WIPs, how perfect for noir!

I want my legos!  Just being overly dramatic, but @Desertdude hope you are able to get your entry in.  Such a great concept.