Carrara Challenge #40 NOIR WIP - A warm welcome to our PA sponsor, Fenric

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Bunyip02 said:
    Black and white.

Bunyip, I forgot to ask.  Was the machine gun smoke done in Carrara, or was it postwork?  I'm still thinking about Primivol.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

You are right, UB, - I am better now. Thank you for the compliment and for your care!

Thank you very much, @Diomede!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

HeadWax, DesertDude, Diomede, thanks for the comments.

Diomede I will see how I am going for time before I decide to rebuild the scene, have a few more ideas that I want to get out first. Definately like your render of the girl with the threat and his gun in shadow !!!!! How's Santa going ?

DesertDude - looking forward to your Lego Noir, looks like a fun scene !!!!

Ooseven - hope you make a nice render to enter.

Vyusur - great renders - the first is my favourite !!!!

UB - machine gun smoke was done using Primivol Rising Smoke using settings similar to what Selina (many thank-yous for sharing) showed in her post https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3624601/#Comment_3624601

• shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250

i have a scene with 2 cameras

so far i got 2 renders of 1 of them, altering soft shadows ligths intendity and gamma etc.

both got alot of postwork in pd howler

noir1 famme high contrast.png
    1280 x 960 - 742K
    noir1 famme new bw.png
    1280 x 960 - 851K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited May 2018

@Bunyip02 - You've got too many more ideas to revisit machine gun dude?  Excellent.  I can't wait to see them.  Santa is coming along, thanks for asking  I've added the most basic morphs, such as blinking eyes and widening eyes in surprise.  I also added a couple blank morph placeholders to use as joint correction morphs.

@UnifiedBrain - Great classic noir comic, but I am going in a different direction.  

@shlomi laszlo - fascinating scenes, and always interested to see how people incorporate Howler or other postwork.  I've been playing with Howler a little but I'm not comfortable with it yet.  Would you mind sharing one of the raw renders so I can see the evolution?  Don't worry about it if it would be a hassle.

To spoil my story a little, Santa is not the heavy in, wait for it,...

Noir Pole:  Mining the Naughty List

I'm sure that I will adjust the title and composition, but the attached is the concept I have in mind currently.  Think of it as a darker Rankin and Bass.  I will also have north pole greebles to make it look like Santa's workshop.  Including elves may be a bit too ambitious.  Happy to receive suggestions, as always.

noir pole layout 1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 192K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250

as for post work in pd howler:

not in this order

1. bokeh blur (with bloom) with depth pass for alpha

2. noise\jitter then fade last action

value noise then fade last action

then gaussian blur

3. a few copies of the image with diffrent threshold for each

then blend them in with darken or around grey

the original renders

noir1 famme.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    noir1 famme new.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M

Thank you.  Great to see how you put things together. 

Just goes to show that people should keep their tommy guns locked up.  wink

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

@shlomi laszlo - very cool renders! Everyone is nailing it with the mysterious mood of the theme.

I broke my model apart last night into parts so I could articulate it and ran into a couple of 'gotchas', so it had to go back into the shop.

The main problem was rotating the arms. I guess because they are at an angle when rotated they went all wonky no matter where I positioned the pivot point. So I had to create some objects which I could rotate to match the angle of the arms, then parent the arms to those objects. I guess I could have used target helpers, but used discs instead (...because it makes me feel better). Now they swing around 360 degrees no problem.

Which leads to a question, but I think already know the answer: Can you rotate a pivot point? I can move it, but I don't see any way to rotate it. 

The hands had similar issues, but it was compounded by the wrist not mtaching the shape of the socket at the end of the arm. For some reason last night I was stumped on how to fix it. Bridge tool kept giving bad results, but that's because the number of points didn't match, something I didn't realize until this morning, so I fixed that. It's still not absolutely perfect when rotating 360 degrees, but it doesn't bother me and isn't really noticeable. I'd rather move on than fuss over a millimeter or two (...ah, but it does bother me, sigh).

As an aside regarding the Bridge tool - I discovered last night you can add segments under the Options, along with twisting. Staring me in the face and never noticed it before, lol. Also, bridging between edges works for creating a polygon between edges. I know that seems super obvious but a lightbulb went on in my head when I discovered that. Doh!

bridge_tool_segments.jpg
    862 x 475 - 60K
    edited May 2018

Thanks for posting about the bridge tool.  I had gotten so used to using the + and - keys that I never paid attention to the properties tray, and so never noticed the options to twist and invert.  Having a hard time wrapping my head around using invert, but the twist option could be very useful.

So I dug out one of my books by Christopher Hart. It is focused on Noir comics, and its title is Drawing Crime Noir.  Here is an excerpt on shadows.

noir rightside up.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 3M
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

wow... I go away for a few days and there appears 21/2 pages of awesomeness!

everything from comments on my images which I appreciate very much to awesome workflows and descriptions to end of file errors ( bummer ) and awesome lego noir ( why didn't I think of that!) I love it... to a rogue Santa!

but I do love the workflows of how you all get to that final image... so good..

and I love this one in particular... so raw and descriptive... I just love it to bits I want to print it out and frame it... 

you all are doing great work... now for another coffee...

Bunyip, thank you for your kind words!

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

a nice fedora there Selina

and it's funny before the internet I never thought of them as gangster hats, my father always wore one and women did versions too, it was just a hat. cheeky

edited March 2021

@Selina - great hat. The noir hat world has produced a variety of fedora styles and your hat is a perfect example.  I think your style choices are excellent. Amazing as it is.  yes

If you want some options, there are some fedoras that slope back from the front.  Bogart generally wears one that way.  But a "Truman" fedora has a front that goes almost straight up.  Another feature that varies is the degree to which the sides of the top/front of the fedora are pinched in.  You mentioned the height of the crown, which also varies, as does whether the top of the crown is sloped.  The back edge of the rim is sometimes curled upward.  The bow is sometimes tied more narrowly than the band.  Sometimes, there is even a feather or other flare tucked in the bow.  The color can vary.

Purely in the spirit of offering options, you could lower the height of the crown a little, with a slight slope toward the back of the crown.  You could curl the back edge of the rim a little. You could pinch the front a little more.  You could narrow the tie of the bow a little relative to the band.  

Just to reinforce that there is not just one fedora style, and that my list of options is just that (options), here are some examples.

https://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/product/belfry-bogart.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5v_6lYKU2wIVCtbACh0hQAB7EAQYAiABEgLKCfD_BwE

https://www.villagehatshop.com/hats/Humphrey-Bogart-Fedora

@Stezza - thanks, you made my day.

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

@Diomede - thanks for the reference on graphic shadows - cool!

@Selina - fantastic hat model and fantastic compostion - I love the camera angle. As a viewer, pondering, is the subject defying gravity strolling across the wall, or is it the floor? Great!

edited March 2021

Bunyip02 said:
    UB - machine gun smoke was done using Primivol Rising Smoke using settings similar to what Selina (many thank-yous for sharing) showed in her post https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3624601/#Comment_3624601

Thanks!  Still considering it.

the original renders

Looking good, Shlomi!

Diomede, thanks for the drawing (much clearer now) and the shadow tips.

Selina said:

Hi all,

My first simple attempt at a 'gangster' hat - don't know what they're called officially - please critique, ie too tall, rim not bent up enough at back, rim not wide enough, ugly felt shader, whatever - sky's the limit !!!

Gangster Hat

Selina, terrific hat(s).  I hope that you consider becoming a PA down the road.  You got the skill.

edited May 2018

The Lookout

Big doin's at Rick's tonight.  A meeting of the bosses.

Rendered in Carrara with no postwork (except sig).

Noir Challenge The Lookout.png
    1600 x 924 - 1M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited May 2018

@Selina - that is one awesome hat, with many great morphs.  Could easily be the Zoot Suit hat or the Pimp'n hat.  The mannequin test is great.  Well done.

@UnifiedBrain - wow - that is a polished WIP.  Looks ready for entry.  

Here is my last WIP for a while.  Just showing the transformation of Don Coyote, Man of Laredo to Don Corleone, Man of Toledo.

I had created Don for the Incompatible Time challenge before Philemo had given us that great hair-to-prop plugin.  Don looked like this with his western shirt and blue jeans.

I made some morphs for Don to change his nose and chin to make them less comical (hopefully).  I also cut his hair and narrowed his mustache.  Finally, I helped him look more fomal with a collar, tie, and overcoat.  The collar and tie are designed to be props attached to the bone skeleton, while the overcoat is designed for draping with VWD.

don is now a crime lord 1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 21K
    don is now a crime lord 2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 22K
    edited May 2018

@Selina you can never have too many hats wink

and yours looks great

inspired me to model one for my next image....

used G2 with dwarf morphs, modeled hat and used gel lights.. post in PSE 

hat_WiP.jpg
    700 x 601 - 40K
    wabbit_WiP.jpg
    1590 x 794 - 160K
    wabbit_WiP1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 473K
    Wabbit Season.png
    800 x 600 - 600K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited May 2018

Nice hat(s), Selina, very well done! I like the soft shadows as well.
    Today I took some photos of my own hat that I wear in summertime.

DSC_0270.jpg
    1300 x 1151 - 1M
    DSC_0269.jpg
    1300 x 1170 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited March 2021

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

practicing on the radish.   jellin

40wip1.JPG
    1387 x 963 - 136K
    40-1.png
    650 x 600 - 111K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited May 2018

quickie from me, will visit tomorrow and comment

beaut to see al the modelling going on - lovely Radish Mistara :)

just a few shots of one scene -  interesting when you are doing a narrative to break up angles

the big news Sand Filter won't work in my car 8.5 just 8.1 

the sand in these is done in post 

fill a layer with grey uses parameter overlay then add noise -

erase bits as necessary

primoval smoke, gives weird effect when hitting transmaps?  ?? eg eyelashes and hair 

lighting is in the main three spots all with cone effetct reversed 

the cig smoke is from a plane with a smoke png  textured to it

theminitsrFromTop_PostEffect.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    theminitsrLongShotcropped.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    theminitsry_PostEffect.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited March 2021

wow from Don Coyote, Man of Laredo to Don Corleone, Man of Toledo, fedora hats and jackets with a twist of raddish!

you Carrara'ists are awesome yes
    looking forward to seeing the end results

Headwax.... I'll try the sand filter on my 8.5 , haven't used it yet.. they are some great noirs happening... not for the guy in the chair though!

did I say I love raddish....  heart