Carrara Challenge #40 NOIR WIP - A warm welcome to our PA sponsor, Fenric

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    Mistara said:

it looks the darkness of the blinds gel is lightened by the shadow intensity of the lightbulb

nice find !

0oseven said:

This is cropped from my scene which I hope to finish soon so posting this to keep you ----- posted surprise

and thanks to Evil for the bridge !yes

ha ha thanks for keeping us 'posted' - wonderful pose the diagonals are very strong

evil wroteth:

I wanted to try an effect, but I think I will need to see how effective it is in a different scene that is set up to highlight the effect. First a little preamble. I bought the Reby Sky Elite character some time ago. The character comes with very high resolution optimized Carrara and Poser/Studio image maps for their respective shaders. As most of you are aware, Carrara can't use image maps in the SS channel. Well, digging around the included image maps I found two image maps for each shading domain that didn't load in the Carrara optimized shaders. Looking at the maps, they looked like they were meant to define SS in Studio and/or Poser. One map was in color, and the other grayscale. With my old computer, SS took an extremely long time to calculate, so what I did was to multuply those two maps in the Glow channel, adjusting the brightness of each map to fit the scene. The effect was pretty good, but it was faked. The advantage was that it rendered stupid-fast. See the example below.

thanks for sharing that , be interesting for plants as well - light shining through succuilents for example

3DAGE said:

I'm used to senior moments :) 

no worries selina :)

the BW version with the red. EP,. thats the one.

Cake noir.,    ...and something for the romantic cubist

ha ha Andy, you need a third element in that cubist work to introduce a bit of jealousy

Gah I just looked at all the amazing work in the last posts!! Bludy wonderful. I'm sorry I haven't been around.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited June 2018
    head wax said:

So, I've been going back and forth with my Nior Fetale picture. I really like the warmth and the way the colors pop in the Technicolor style transfer version, but this black and white with only the bra and panties having color is striking. I also added a vignette and gave it a bit of a sepia tint. Which do you all think is better?

Hi evil well you are really on a roll!! I like the sepia best, but both are tom terrific

Thanks Headly! Did you see this post where I converted the color image maps to black and white by using a color gradient, and then doing that with every texture in the scene (except the red lingerie)? I was able to render that scene in black and white using Carrara's native renderer with no plugins or postwork.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3680481/#Comment_3680481

Post edited by evilproducer on

-Hey Evil, No! Thanks for that. Great idea!!! cheers from oz :)

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

@UnifiedBrain, thank you very much! Streams are just a volume cone from spot passing through the jalousie.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

we still have all weekend?

my veronica lake vision is turning into a homage to the Metropolis movie

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited June 2018

Duplicate post - dont seem  to be able to delete it or remove attachments !

anyway adding another WIP  image

Pose 2.png
    640 x 480 - 32K
    Pose 3.png
    640 x 480 - 35K
    Pose 5.png
    640 x 480 - 45K
    Pose 6.png
    640 x 480 - 39K
    Dispair 3.png
    1280 x 720 - 206K
    Post edited by 0oseven on
    0oseven said:

For this image i wanted V4 in sitting position so used the VWD Cloth simulator and Philamos Carrara plugin to drape the dress.

Works really well - here are sequence shots showing drape progress - very messy in places but alls well tha ends well - as they say wink

Is that also for Macs?

head wax said:

So, I've been going back and forth with my Nior Fetale picture. I really like the warmth and the way the colors pop in the Technicolor style transfer version, but this black and white with only the bra and panties having color is striking. I also added a vignette and gave it a bit of a sepia tint. Which do you all think is better?

Hi evil well you are really on a roll!! I like the sepia best, but both are tom terrific

Stunning !  though I feel the shadow on face needs softening 

edited June 2018

Okay, I think I'm going to change one of my entries. Entry 6, What Knife, will be the same subject, but instead of using postwork to achieve the black and white look, I converted all of the color image maps to black and white all in Carrara! I did this by using the color map with a black and white color gradient. I did this with a shader and an image map in the scene. The female model, her hair, the floor, the walls, etc. See the link below.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3680116/#Comment_3680116

I also changed the lights to varying shades of gray. The only thing I didn't change was the lingerie.

Remember, this is straight out of Carrara with absolutely no editing work.

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 7.27.26 PM.png
    4022 x 1734 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 7.25.13 PM.png
    4096 x 1858 - 856K
    Femme fatale pin-up-BW raw.png
    1500 x 2000 - 3M
    0oseven said:

For this image i wanted V4 in sitting position so used the VWD Cloth simulator and Philamos Carrara plugin to drape the dress.

Works really well - here are sequence shots showing drape progress - very messy in places but alls well tha ends well - as they say wink

Is that also for Macs?

I think you have to ask developer 'philamo' about that. I believe windows only.

you can learn more from this post   http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/index.php?topic=353.0 

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    0oseven said:

Is that also for Macs?

Unfortunately not. VWD works only in Windows, so there's never been any need for a mac version of the bridge.

Gérald Contesse, the developer of VWD tried to team up with a mac developer, but the technical platform he's using doesn't allow him to go very far. But, there is hope. A new version of this same technical platform has been released and is now compatible with Windows 64 bits. One could hope that this return to standard will entice a mac developer to finish the job.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    0oseven said:

Is that also for Macs?

Unfortunately not. VWD works only in Windows, so there's never been any need for a mac version of the bridge.

Gérald Contesse, the developer of VWD tried to team up with a mac developer, but the technical platform he's using doesn't allow him to go very far. But, there is hope. A new version of this same technical platform has been released and is now compatible with Windows 64 bits. One could hope that this return to standard will entice a mac developer to finish the job.

How do I get a link to my WIP  'post' ? I can get the whole  thread linked or direct to an image but haven't figured out to get the post itself.I see in the Noir Submissions others have achieved this daunting task blush

• the setup

the black box is a shade, to block the light from the sky.

in it there is spot with a gel you can see on top.

noir1 setup.png
    1219 x 730 - 335K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    0oseven said:

How do I get a link to my WIP  'post' ? I can get the whole  thread linked or direct to an image but haven't figured out to get the post itself.I see in the Noir Submissions others have achieved this daunting task blush

On the left side of the post you want to link to is your name, number of posts, and the time/date.  Click on the time/date.  A new screen will then open with a new address in the top address bar.  Copy and past this address to the place you want it to appear.

0oseven said:

On the left side of the post you want to link to is your name, number of posts, and the time/date.  Click on the time/date.  A new screen will then open with a new address in the top address bar.  Copy and past this address to the place you want it to appear.

Many Many Thanks ! I looked here but missed the small icon top right dah !

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

or you can hover your mouse over the time stamp right mouse click and 'copy link address'

cool

edited June 2018

the setup

very nice, looking forward to seeing the finished render!

evil - VWD is worth while buying a pc for ;)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited June 2018
    head wax said:

the setup

I have an Intel Mac. If I really wanted to, I could get a copy of Windows and use it. But I'm like a bad maid. I don't do windows. cheeky

edited June 2018

Cops Nab the Infamous "Panty Bandit"

This one started out life as a B&W, and then it went in another direction. :)

The idea was to put a female in a trenchcoat and have her robbing a bank.  I didn't plan on all the chrome, but it sure was fun.

It's not exactly realistic because of the lack of DOF and the lighting.  I guess it is maybe stylized realism.  To get it clean, it took 6 hours to render, a record for me by 4 hours.  I tried to add raytraced DOF, but it crashed Carrara twice (not enough memory) and I'm not sure if I will try again.

Main lighting is a Horo HDRI.  Products include G2F, Sinful Nights trenchcoat and panty, Ant Farm's The Vault, M3, Real Heros Police uniform, and Diomede's 357 magnum (thanks Diomede!).

Oh yeah, no postwork.  Thanks Carrara!

Edit - forgot to add, I used GMIC (a game-changer for me) Colors>Basic adjustments.

Noir Panty Bandit Carrara setup.JPG
    1461 x 813 - 176K
    Noir Panty Bandit.png
    1700 x 945 - 5M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

what's she got stashed under that coat I wonder!

very nice render... I would of given up after 30 minutes lol

head wax said:

the setup

I have an Intel Mac. If I really wanted to, I could get a copy of Windows and use it. But I'm like a bad maid. I don't do windows. cheeky

I crossed the HWBig Cat with an apple and got something Evil devil

Hey Unified - Panty Bandit  ' hit me between the eyes " well done =  I like this very much =   

edited June 2018

@shlomi laszlo, I like the perspective on your entries, plus the way you are telling a story with your entries. This is just my opinion given in the spirit of these challenges, in that we all want to grow as artists. I wish that the lighting provided more contrast to the subjects to make them stand out more from the rest of the scene. I'm also not sure if it is the filters/plugin you are using, but the depth of field seems overly strong. Where I really notice this is the reverse angle from the guy's perspective looking out through the doorway at the woman holding the gun. If I hadn't seen the first image in the series and known she was there, I probably would not have noticed her because she is so blurry looking. I don't know what you have for time or inclination, but is there a way to tone that down? With less blur, the subjects would be easier to see.

@UnifiedBrain, fun picture! Great use of reflections. Very nice expression on her face.

@Stezza, the day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck, is the day they make vacuum cleaners.cheeky

edited June 2018

Thanks Ooseven and EP!

Stezza said:

I would of given up after 30 minutes lol

Ordinarily I would totally agree.  In fact, the 10 minute version looks almost identical to the 6 hour version.  But there was some blotching in the G2F skin, just below the hat brim and on one leg, that probably no one whould have noticed except me.  To get rid of the blotching, I had three possible solutions:

1:  Move her more forward, closer to the HDRI.  This worked, but I liked her present position better.

2.  Increase the HDRI levels.  This would probably work, but it resulted in the skin map washing out in places.  To adjust that, I would need to darken the maps in PSE.  Not very hard to do, but...

3.  I decided to experiment with maxing out the Lighting quality (best) and accuracy (1 pixel) settings, in part just to see how long a render would take at those settings.  It fixed the blotchiness, but adjusting the skin maps in PSE (or simply editing them in PSE) would have been much faster.

Stezza said:

A sandwich, maybe?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited June 2018

Thanks Ooseven and EP!

Stezza said:

I would of given up after 30 minutes lol

Ordinarily I would totally agree.  In fact, the 10 minute version looks almost identical to the 6 hour version.  But there was some blotching in the G2F skin, just below the hat brim and on one leg, that probably no one whould have noticed except me.  To get rid of the blotching, I had three possible solutions:

1:  Move her more forward, closer to the HDRI.  This worked, but I liked her present position better.

2.  Increase the HDRI levels.  This would probably work, but it resulted in the skin map washing out in places.  To adjust that, I would need to darken the maps in PSE.  Not very hard to do, but...

3.  I decided to experiment with maxing out the Lighting quality (best) and accuracy (1 pixel) settings, in part just to see how long a render would take at those settings.  It fixed the blotchiness, but adjusting the skin maps in PSE (or simply editing them in PSE) would have been much faster.

Stezza said:

A sandwich, maybe?

Have you tried using a saved irradiance map? It can help speed up scenes that use GI. You can render a low res version of your scene with the option to save the Irradiance map, then when you are ready to render your scene disable the Save Irradiance Map option and choose the Use Saved Map option. You can then up your resolution and photon settings. I don't know what your setting were when you were getting the ashing (blotches), but I have gone from fast to good. I've also increased the map accuracy and the number of photons. I haven't had a need to use the best settings yet.

Oh, I almost forgot. You can change your camera view to wherever you would like it without needing a new irradiance map. The only instance you would need a new irradiance map, would be if you were to change the lighting.

edited to add: That a new map would be needed if you changed the location or aim of the lights, or moved, removed, or added an object to the scene. You could even have a pretty quick animated fiy through of the scene so long as the camera was the only animated object in the scene.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i'm very much enjoying the gradient trick for b/w  Thanks!!

Mistara said:

i'm very much enjoying the gradient trick for b/w  Thanks!!

You are very welcome. I had come across this some time ago, but not with the idea of a black and white render.

Hey EP, thanks for taking the time to explain the Irradiance map trick!  I'll definitely try it the next GI render.- unless I'm running 32 buckets by then. :)

Carrara is so deep.  Very thankful that experienced guys like you are around to help steer rooks like me into better solutions.  It's what makes this forum so great.yes

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on