Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female a post from the PA

Comments

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 774
    edited December 1969

Yes. My attempts are V4 to G2. I guess I'll have to experiment more. Any thoughts on my G1 to G2 attempt using your method, in the previous (before my V4 to G2 attempts) post, Gilikshe?

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited June 2013

Thanks Gilikshe!! Your conversions look good, so I tried your procedure on DX-30s Pumps2 for Genesis. DS4 (v4.6.0.18) crashed. this is what I did:

1. Use Auto Fit (AF) to fit one shoe to Genesis.

2. Unfit the shoe.

3. Applied DX30's foot pose. Note: at this point I had some poke-thru.

4. Attempted to Xfer the rigging as described in the tutorial P11 -13. DS4 crashed,

What am I doing wrong?

1-2-3 Ok. Yes, there is poke-thru, in legwarmer there is, a little, with thick sole boots 3 it is worse, Hexagon repair is nedded

4.- bend feet then toes to macht shoes. If shoes are shifted stop, you need another aproach and surely mesh was deformed.
    5.- Select first gen2, second control+select shoes.
    6.- In Joint Editor tab Edit --> Tranfer rigging
    7.- refit

Edit: A better explication, I hope, my english is not good. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxdi1gjgd39ezdm/G1_to_G2.pdf

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited June 2013

I"m having a bit of hit'n'miss with V4 shoes to Gen 2 female. Shoes/boots that have one of those "feet pose" included don't seem too successful. However, shoes and boots that DON'T need the "foot pose" are freaking brilliant in the autofit!!!!! It seems it's the high heel & stiletto type shoes that are a bit of a miss - although hiding Gen2's feet can help with that. Anyone have any suggestions?

edit: WHOOOOPS!!! It would help if I used my head and looked back a few pages. Lots of people are talking about the same thing. LOL. Sorry!!!! I generally don't use any high heeled shoes/boots anyway as I usually do fantasy or sci fi renders where they SHOULD be wearing low boots, but I was curious.

Post edited by jakiblue on
    edited December 1969

I have gone back and looked at some of my flat shoe conversions. I'm not happy with them -- too much room in the toes. Something needs to be done about this.

edited December 1969

Well, in all honesty, the autofit for V4 shoes to Gen2 works a HELLUVA lot better than it did for Gen1. I am ecstatic that the majority of my V4 shoes are working so well; it means I'll finally get more of a use out of them all. It's not perfect, but I really don't mind - the ones I WANT to work, do.

edited December 1969

I guess I'm a perfectionist who likes high heels. Anyway, if the problems are not are not pointed out, they will never get fixed.

edited December 1969

I guess I'm a perfectionist who likes high heels. Anyway, if the problems are not are not pointed out, they will never get fixed.

i understand that, and I didn't mean to come across as snarky. But the horrible truth is, if the problems are simply unable to be fixed, then we have to deal with them. Mallenlane is stuck within the limitations of the figure - as much as I wish he could, :D he can't wave a wand and make the autofit perfect. (oh how i'd love for that to be possible) This product is the SOLE reason I bought the Gen2 female morphs and am deciding to give Genesis 2 a go. If he hadn't made it, I'd be sticking with Genesis 1. And the fact that it wasn't going to happen otherwise, really makes me shudder. He saw a business opportunity and jumped on it, thank goodness (or quite possibly he just loves us all so much that he wanted to make us happy by creating a really good V4 autofit to Genesis 2 cos if we're happy, then he's happy......LOL...but I'm kinda going with the business decision).

It's quite possible that some other customers who are very well-versed in DS and it's foibles may come up with a solution for low heeled heels that have too much room around the toes - give it time, and something may happen. :D

edited December 1969

Same here, jakiblue -- I bought the G2 Morphs because of Victoria 4 for Genesis2. In my case, there are not many good high-heel products (excluding boots and mid-heels, which I don't buy at all) for G1 or G2. Furthermore, Idler 168, my favorite high-heel vendor, is not making Genesis products. So if Victoria 4 for Genesis2 can't do HH conversions to my satisfaction, I may have to return everything I bought for G2. In short, I'm trying to be a part of the solution.

I suspect that the toe space problem is a major part of the high-heel conversion problem, since toe length impacts the overall high-heel geometry

Idler_Candy_Sandals2_.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 177K
  • MallenLaneMallenLane Posts: 159
    edited December 1969

I will take another look at it, to look at the toe spacing, but I can't promise I will come up with anything.

edited December 1969

whoa, you're having better luck on high heels than I am! LOL. I can see what you mean tho, about the toe space. That would definitely bug me if I used them.

You've got the 30 day refund tho, remember, so hang on to everything till the last possible moment, cos you never know what Mallenlane will come up! Or what may happen! :D

Same here, jakiblue -- I bought the G2 Morphs because of Victoria 4 for Genesis2. In my case, there are not many good high-heel products (excluding boots and mid-heels, which I don't buy at all) for G1 or G2. Furthermore, Idler 168, my favorite high-heel vendor, is not making Genesis products. So if Victoria 4 for Genesis2 can't do HH conversions to my satisfaction, I may have to return everything I bought for G2. In short, I'm trying to be a part of the solution.

I suspect that the toe space problem is a major part of the high-heel conversion problem, since toe length impacts the overall high-heel geometry

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Thanks Gilikshe!! Your conversions look good, so I tried your procedure on DX-30s Pumps2 for Genesis. DS4 (v4.6.0.18) crashed. this is what I did:

1. Use Auto Fit (AF) to fit one shoe to Genesis.

2. Unfit the shoe.

3. Applied DX30's foot pose. Note: at this point I had some poke-thru.

4. Attempted to Xfer the rigging as described in the tutorial P11 -13. DS4 crashed,

What am I doing wrong?

1-2-3 Ok. Yes, there is poke-thru, in legwarmer there is, a little, with thick sole boots 3 it is worse, Hexagon repair is nedded

4.- bend feet then toes to macht shoes. If shoes are shifted stop, you need another aproach and surely mesh was deformed.
    5.- Select first gen2, second control+select shoes.
    6.- In Joint Editor tab Edit --> Tranfer rigging
    7.- refit

Edit: If my poor internet upload the file I put link to pdf in my dropbox here.
    gilikshe, your method has worked for me on the first two shoes I tried! Thank you for your instructions. I will try more shoes tomorrow.

Daiquiri_shoes_gilikshe_method.jpg
    618 x 800 - 142K
    Everyday_1930_shoes_gilikshe_method.jpg
    618 x 800 - 126K
  • GnotMeGnotMe Posts: 131
    edited June 2013

Hi, just tried to convert a V4 Skin to Genesis 2. Under the Genesis 2 uv selection I do not have V4 maps available, but do have V4 installed. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Go to the excellent directions from Mellisa Conway who gave step by step directions to my request for help.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24152/P105

at around page 8 I think.

Dan

Post edited by GnotMe on
    edited December 1969

drdancm said:
    You need to switch the surfaces to use Victoria 4 as the UV set. It will be at the top of the Surface panel. Just select them all and switch it.

I'm in the same boat as Nyala who said:

"I need a little help, please.

I load an skin on V4 and save it as “Material Preset” and then I load the preset to the gen 2. Correct?

Not working for me, do not know why. "

I was ready to dump this program and ask for a refund, but after someone sent me to this forum thread and read Mallen Lanes' posts I realized that here's someone nice who is trying to help.

So I'm asking for help. Those of you who understand the difference between UV set and Texture sets, Surface shading etc. probably have no trouble understanding these terse instructions. However, newbies, or oldies who simply use with DStudio, but have never created any clothes or done complicated things in Studio, really would like some simple easy to follow step by step instructions, possibly with some screen captures if it's not way too much trouble. By step by step I mean using a V4 example and going through the whole thing one menu at a time.

It would be much appreciated, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who really needs this type of tutorial. Better yet if Mallen or someone else could do a video tutorial and upload to youtube, with a link here, that would probably be a lot less work for the blessed person.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan.

It doesn’t look like anyone answered you..? This is what I did:

Open Daz Studio and delete genesis.
    Load Victoria 4.2.
    Select her, find the character material mat intended for V4 that you want to use and double-click to load.
    Click File, Save as, Material(s) preset. Name the file and click Save. If the Material(s) Preset Save Options box pops up, click Accept.
    Delete V4.

In the Smart Content tab under Figures, load Genesis 2 base female.
    If you want the V4 shape, go to the Shaping tab, find Victoria 4 and set the slider to 100%.
    In the Surfaces tab under Editor, click on Genesis 2 Female so it is highlighted. To the right, you will see (28): UV Set.
    Click the down arrow for the UV Set and choose Victoria 4.
    You will see the Genesis 2 Female mat become distorted.

Find your saved material file (unless you changed the location, it should have saved in the same place as the original material mat under the Content Library tab).
    Double-click to load.

Hope this works.

M.

Melissa,

You are an Angel!
    Not only do you know how to do this but you also know how to explain things. Your step by step instructions work beautifully.
    It is a pleasure to hear from someone who knows how to explain a procedure that takes quite a number of steps.

The instructions which I called terse, were to switch UV maps. This means nothing to me, as well as to other people who also loaded
    V6 and then found selected the V4 UV map under Surface Edits, and got a terrible result.

No one was smart enough to realize that you need to really explain that you must start with V4, add the Texture Map (is that exactly same as UV Map?), save it in .DUF format (and be sure to remember or write down where you save it. Then you need to load V6, and find the saved V4 Texture Map you just saved in .DUF format and load it onto the V6 figure.

Were I MallenLane I would immediately put Mellisa Conway's Step by Step Instructions in his very first message in this Thread and save a lot of people tons of frustration and headaches. Then I would thank Melissa profusely and hire her to write documentation for all his his new products.

Thanks tons!

Dan

PS Is there a similar procedure for having V4 Shape imported for V6? I tried saving V4 as Shape Preset and then loading on V6 but it did not produce the desired results whatsoever.

edited December 1969

drdancm said:
    You need to switch the surfaces to use Victoria 4 as the UV set. It will be at the top of the Surface panel. Just select them all and switch it.

I load an skin on V4 and save it as “Material Preset” and then I load the preset to the gen 2. Correct?

I was ready to dump this program and ask for a refund, but after someone sent me to this forum thread and read Mallen Lanes' posts I realized that here's someone nice who is trying to help.

So I'm asking for help. Those of you who understand the difference between UV set and Texture sets, Surface shading etc. probably have no trouble understanding these terse instructions. However, newbies, or oldies who simply use with DStudio, but have never created any clothes or done complicated things in Studio, really would like some simple easy to follow step by step instructions, possibly with some screen captures if it's not way too much trouble. By step by step I mean using a V4 example and going through the whole thing one menu at a time.

It would be much appreciated, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who really needs this type of tutorial. Better yet if Mallen or someone else could do a video tutorial and upload to youtube, with a link here, that would probably be a lot less work for the blessed person.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan.

Load Victoria 4.2.
    Select her, find the character material mat intended for V4 that you want to use and double-click to load.
    Click File, Save as, Material(s) preset. Name the file and click Save. If the Material(s) Preset Save Options box pops up, click Accept.
    Delete V4.
    If you want the V4 shape, go to the Shaping tab, find Victoria 4 and set the slider to 100%.
    In the Surfaces tab under Editor, click on Genesis 2 Female so it is highlighted. To the right, you will see (28): UV Set.
    Find your saved material file (unless you changed the location, it should have saved in the same place as the original material mat under the Content Library tab).
    Double-click to load.
    Hope this works.

M.

Well there was a short answer for the 1st question I'll link to here as this is a fast moving thread atm.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24152/P60/#357384

Patience55,

I appreciate your quick response to my help request but unfortunately, your answer assumed way too much knowledge on my part, so unfortunately it did not clear up my lack of understanding of the sequence of steps necessary to use the V4-V6 utility, because the step for saving the V4 texture set or map had to come first -before any switching made sense (Your screen capture started with V6). A number of us confused people started with V6 and just chose V4 UV -which produced some crappy stuff.

I think the problem is that those people who already understand things, cannot put yourselves into the beginners shoes in order to know just how lost we are.

In any case thanks for your effort.

Dan

I very much appreciated your excellent step by step instructions for Making Skins!

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited June 2013

drdancm said:
    drdancm said:

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan.

Load Victoria 4.2.
    Delete V4.
    Double-click to load.
    Hope this works.

M.

Well there was a short answer for the 1st question I'll link to here as this is a fast moving thread atm.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24152/P60/#357384

Patience55,

I appreciate your quick response to my help request but unfortunately, your answer assumed way too much knowledge on my part, so unfortunately it did not clear up my lack of understanding of the sequence of steps necessary to use the V4-V6 utility, because the step for saving the V4 texture set or map had to come first -before any switching made sense (Your screen capture started with V6). A number of us confused people started with V6 and just chose V4 UV -which produced some crappy stuff.

I think the problem is that those people who already understand things, cannot put yourselves into the beginners shoes in order to know just how lost we are.

In any case thanks for your effort.

Dan

I very much appreciated your excellent step by step instructions for Making Skins!

You're welcome. But uh, that wasn't V6 ;-) I do not yet own V6.

I can't display Daz textures here so "imagine" ...

Here is a texture image and a uvmap.
    Might look the same shape and all that because they are.
    But the uvmap is created from the geometry of the item. In order to have a different uvmap, some type of change has to be made to the geometry. That which makes these changes and also provides an alternative uvmap for to use on a desired figure [i.e. Genesis2] is called the 'uv set'. So if all the work is done, technically one could apply 'the texture' for a ball unto the 'square box' providing the 'uv set' was created and installed. And if that were done, the place for the users to find where to make the change, is as shown previously on the Surface Tabs.

Now ... follow ... If I have Figure 1, a beautiful lady all in her skins with a nice bikini on and her geometry really is "V108"
    And then I change the "uv set" to, oh let's say "M106" [which doesn't exist either]
    Immediately [or as soon as my slow computer has changed the geometry readings or whatever it does] Figure 1 is going to look terrible.
    Until I go into the Pose or Preset folder where the nice .duf file for "M106" resides and click on it and wait for the computer to change the skins on Figure 1.
    Now Figure 1 will look absolutely gorgeous wearing the "M106" skin.

Yes it can be a little overwhelming learning how to use these programs but trust me, most of us are not experts either. We help each other in the forums, team work ;-) And as to your suggestion for tutorials ... maybe you have tons of money, but most of us hobbyists don't and tutorials cost money too. Sometimes they can be more time consuming to create that the actual article being created. Those of us all, whatever our levels of expertize or enthusiasm, who are answering questions in the forums are not competing with each other for best answers.
    Over time with questions, you may find answers from 5 or 6 people "all together" answering your questions ... it's a forum! :-)

edit to add: apologies to the OP ... this is going OT and I shall request a mod to move this developing subsection elsewhere.

box_texture.png
    392 x 392 - 200K
    box_uvmap.png
    392 x 392 - 3K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • loveitloveit Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

so how does work in poser ,we dont have auotofit? and how would you do it

edited June 2013

Patience55,

Thanks for you great explanation of the relationship of UV to texture map. It makes sense now.
    I well appreciate that step by step tutorials take a lot of time and effort (as I do them all the time, but not for 3D stuff, as do video tutorials, certainly there is a time cost, rather than $, if you already have the utilities for capture and youtube posting is (still) free : ).

Thanks,

Dan

Post edited by GnotMe on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

drdancm said:
    Patience55,

Thanks for you great explanation of the relationship of UV to texture map. It makes sense now.
    I well appreciate that step by step tutorials take a lot of time and effort (as I do them all the time, but not for 3D stuff, as do video tutorials, certainly there is a time cost, rather than $, if you already have the utilities for capture and youtube posting is (still) free : ).

Thanks,

Dan

You're welcome, glad it helped.

Yes time, not enough days in the hour!

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited June 2013

This is probably going to be a rather dumb question. However, can someone confirm for me the compatibility V4 for G2F has with other Gen 4 female clothing? All Gen 4 females, as we all know, were simply character morphs of V4 and thus had content naturally compatible with the V4 mesh. I had no problem Auto-Fitting A4, G4 or S4 stuff to Genesis when I sometimes chose "Victoria 4" as my supported clone (choosing "Michael 4" for converting H4 and F4 stuff worked great, too). So, I wonder if this is still useful for G2F.

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • OctaveaOctavea Posts: 25
    edited June 2013

loveit said:
    so how does work in poser ,we dont have auotofit? and how would you do it

You autofit it in Daz Studio then save as a .duf figure and poser companion file for use in Poser. I was actually working on a tutorial for this, I'll post it later.

Also Poser users now have to convert all their Genesis 1 clothes to Gen 2 using the same method.

Post edited by Octavea on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

This is probably going to be a rather dumb question. However, can someone confirm for me the compatibility V4 for G2F has with other Gen 4 female clothing? All Gen 4 females, as we all know, were simply character morphs of V4 and thus had content naturally compatible with the V4 mesh. I had no problem Auto-Fitting A4, G4 or S4 stuff to Genesis when I sometimes chose "Victoria 4" as my supported clone (choosing "Michael 4" for converting H4 and F4 stuff worked great, too). So, I wonder if this is still useful for G2F.

As you say, the other "figures" for the fourth generation were morphs of V4 or M4, and so clothing made for the V4 shapes should auto-fit to G2F with the MallenLane tools.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2013

Back to the V4 uv's on genesis having seams.

DId we ever determine if this was a UV thing or a Daz Studio issue? I'm starting to see the issue now in the arm/shoulder as well. It almost doesn't look like a UV thing to me, more like the torso and limb/arm surfaces have different shading groups. I say this because at the seams the shading is differnt, like going from a light to dark area within 1 pixel.

I don't know were the fault lies but it's a fair amount of work to correct in photoshop. Because I do a lot of unbiased rendering I hate photoshopping details away to blur and clone areas of the skin.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited June 2013

So I did look into the toe spacing thing, and unfortunately, I cannot make it better than it is now. Here is why. It really comes down to the toes being different shapes/lengths. Genesis 2 toes are shorter on the first four, than V4's.

You are probably thinking, well if this is a clone, then the clone's toes should be the same length as the original V4? Well, no, because toes are a complex part of the mesh, with vertices that have normals traveling in many directions. This process is more effective at not distorting the mesh if that "spaghetti" of conflicting normal directions are all traveling together roughly the same direction at the same speed.

For this reason the toes have to stay a similar shape to G2F, with slight mods to certain areas done manually to correct specific distortions I saw. It also has to stay inside the volume of the original to ensure the result is the shoe being around them, and not the toes going through the shoe. So while I could move all the toes forward more, they would poke through the shoes.

The only other route I could take at this point that I can see, is if I moved the toes forward anyway, and then add a bunch of corrective style things as morphs to the G2F foot that wouldn't affect the shape of the shoes, to put the toes back in the shoes.. That might confuse some users, so I'm not sure. I won't rule out that I might eventually do it as an update, but I don't have the time to pursue it immediately.

Probably a much longer explanation than anyone wanted. :)

Post edited by MallenLane on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Do you see it using V5 or V6 skins? If not, it may be a problem with the V4 UV mapping, which MallenLane already said was going to get an update.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Do you see it using V5 or V6 skins? If not, it may be a problem with the V4 UV mapping, which MallenLane already said was going to get an update.

The update has already been available since Saturday or Sunday, if you haven't updated please do, and see if that helps anything. If not, then I'm not sure what could be happening with that.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:

The update has already been available since Saturday or Sunday, if you haven't updated please do, and see if that helps anything. If not, then I'm not sure what could be happening with that.

I'll take a look in the next hour when I get home for lunch.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Not at all to long.

I thank you for taking the time to explain.

One of the biggest issues in the computer graphics industry is that clients do not completly understand the processes that are happening behind the scenes.

From my point of view there would be a lot less speculation on this forum if the reasons behind decisions would be explained in such detailes as you did.

Of course explaining will not always guarantee that everyone will agree with the decision. But at least then people can talk about positive and negative consequences based on facts..

edited December 1969

cwichura said:

K I did get the update over the weekend but I think I see what the problem was. I haven't tried re-applying presets to existing projects. When I apply presets now they look much better, but if you already applied a preset those still have issues. Not sure how that all works, but I think this is resolved.

Thanks for the fix.

edited December 1969

So I did look into the toe spacing thing, and unfortunately, I cannot make it better than it is now. Here is why. It really comes down to the toes being different shapes/lengths. Genesis 2 toes are shorter on the first four, than V4's.

You are probably thinking, well if this is a clone, then the clone's toes should be the same length as the original V4? Well, no, because toes are a complex part of the mesh, with vertices that have normals traveling in many directions. This process is more effective at not distorting the mesh if that "spaghetti" of conflicting normal directions are all traveling together roughly the same direction at the same speed.

For this reason the toes have to stay a similar shape to G2F, with slight mods to certain areas done manually to correct specific distortions I saw. It also has to stay inside the volume of the original to ensure the result is the shoe being around them, and not the toes going through the shoe. So while I could move all the toes forward more, they would poke through the shoes.

The only other route I could take at this point that I can see, is if I moved the toes forward anyway, and then add a bunch of corrective style things as morphs to the G2F foot that wouldn't affect the shape of the shoes, to put the toes back in the shoes.. That might confuse some users, so I'm not sure. I won't rule out that I might eventually do it as an update, but I don't have the time to pursue it immediately.

Thanks for trying, Mallen. I understand what you are saying about the toes. I notice that one of your source figure selections is a V4Skirt. Maybe a V4Shoe and/or a V4 HighHeel figure with "sock toes" could be created for autofitting...

edited June 2013

Hmm, a simplified manikin is an idea, but then the result would have to be Fit To the other figure. So you'd have to load in the manikin, Auto-fit to it.. then unfit it, delete the manikin, and then Fit To the real figure. I dunno. It depends on the workflow; are you guys ever saving this stuff as new DUF figures to your library, or do you just Auto-Fit it each time newly?

The Skirt clone simply handles things a bit differently in the thigh etc, but it's still a clone shape on the actual figure.

A low poly manikin for shoes would be different, from that, and would likely require a lot more documentation to go with it, about how to use it, and possibly how to save your results so you wouldn't have to go through a large process using it every time. It wouldn't be very straight-forward, generally speaking.

Post edited by MallenLane on