Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female a post from the PA

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2013

Has anyone else noticed noticeable seams on the thighs of genesis 2 when using V4 textures? I can see them in the DS preview port and they are very noticeable in the Octane render plugin. I have tried the textures Chablis and Riley (though "Genesis" textures they use V4 UV).

using daz studio 4.6.0.18

EDIT: Also I downloaded the most updated file to make sure I am up to date, still have this issue. And I did a quick render in DS and you can see it in the ds renderer too. (not attached cause it's the same thing) :( sadness.

Attached is Riley, who has more noticeable issues than Chablis. with Chablis the line isn't as pronounced but there is a noticeable difference in skin tone at the seem. not an issue when used on V4/genesis, but apparent on Genesis2. Maybe a bug in the software and not an issue with the product...

riley2.jpg
    516 x 746 - 45K
    riley.png
    720 x 480 - 339K
    Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Has anyone else noticed noticeable seams on the thighs of genesis 2 when using V4 textures? I can see them in the DS preview port and they are very noticeable in the Octane render plugin. I have tried the textures Chablis and Riley (though "Genesis" textures they use V4 UV).

EDIT: Also I downloaded the most updated file to make sure I am up to date, still have this issue.

Make sure the specular and ambient settings match.

edited June 2013

EDIT: Also I downloaded the most updated file to make sure I am up to date, still have this issue.

Make sure the specular and ambient settings match.

Thanks, but they certainly do. One of the reasons I tested in Octane, as well as the default DS renderer and viewport. the settings are identical.

Edit: So I applied the same V4 material preset to Genesis, V4 and Genesis2. (riley for genesis saved as a duf file) Only genesis 2 has seams in the viewport or during rendering. So it's not human error. It's either Daz Studio issue, or a problem with V4 to genesis2.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

I'm having a problem converting shoes and boots from V4 to G2 with the "Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female" product. I've tried shoes that come with Daiquiri Dress V4, Juggling Act for V4, and Everyday 1930 for V4. Can anyone help?

This is my technique:
    Select Genesis 2 in the Scene Tab (she is in default T pose)
    Double click on a V4 shoe item in the Content Library
    When Auto Fit dialog pops up, I select Victoria 4 and Footwear.

These are my sad results:

Everyday_1930s_shoes.jpg
    800 x 800 - 97K
    Daiquiri_shoes.jpg
    800 x 800 - 94K
    Juggling_Act_Boots.jpg
    800 x 800 - 189K
  • edited June 2013

barbult said:
    I'm having a problem converting shoes and boots from V4 to G2 with the "Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female" product. I've tried shoes that come with Daiquiri Dress V4, Juggling Act for V4, and Everyday 1930 for V4. Can anyone help?

This is my technique:

Two possible solutions(i haven't worked with the genesis 2 yet so this is just from experience with ver4 and gen1).

First option:turn visibility off on the toes and or foot.
    This is accomplished by clicking on the little eye next to the part on the Scene tab.

the other option is to manually adjust the foot pose or shoe pose(depending on which is out of whack).
    Apply the default foot pose that came with the shoe(s)
    Move the shoe(if the foot is correct), or the foot(if the shoe is correct).
    By adjusting the rotation(generally X rotation).

Post edited by refsocrd1_aefdbd2b3a on
    edited December 1969

just hide the feet, its the fastest way to go, and it works well. I had to do the hide the feet trick on V4 and genesis1 in the past, so this isn't a new issue really. As long as the boots look natural, you are golden! The actual foot mesh isn't needed.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to add my thanks to MallenLane for stepping up and making Gns2 backward-compatible.
    Thank you.

edited December 1969

It's nice to see my renders of the seem in my characters thighs is still up. Guess I hit the lotto there. I hope someone actually looks at it and comes up with an answer.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited June 2013

Removed by poster on request of another user

I agree that Mallen Lane did a great job on both Genesis and Genesis 2 female.
    It would not be fair to drop other issues related to Gn2f in his thread about the V4 for Genesis 2 female plugin.

Post edited by linvanchene on
    edited June 2013

@ linvanchene wrong thread

but has no one else had this issue??

edited December 1969

EDIT: Also I downloaded the most updated file to make sure I am up to date, still have this issue. And I did a quick render in DS and you can see it in the ds renderer too. (not attached cause it's the same thing) :( sadness.

Attached is Riley, who has more noticeable issues than Chablis. with Chablis the line isn't as pronounced but there is a noticeable difference in skin tone at the seem. not an issue when used on V4/genesis, but apparent on Genesis2. Maybe a bug in the software and not an issue with the product...

Yes, there seems to be seam between the hips and the legs (pardon the pun). With most textures you can barely see it, but with the Riley texture applied it becomes quite noticeable.
    edited December 1969

Yes, there seems to be seam between the hips and the legs (pardon the pun). With most textures you can barely see it, but with the Riley texture applied it becomes quite noticeable.

Thank you for confirming so I'm not crazy or alone. With other textures while it is barely visible it is visible and would require photoshop. It will depend on how you render. For unbiased rendering it sticks out much more and fixing it is more time consuming than on other types of renders.

edited December 1969

Thank you for confirming so I'm not crazy ...

I never said you weren't crazy : - D
    edited December 1969

Fair enough. I feel a bit less crazy though :) Has to mean something.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited June 2013

MallenLane, like everyone else, I HUMBLY thank you for all your effort! You have nothing but my most ultimate respect as a DAZ customer and I will always look forward to your excellent works! :D And thank you for reasoning why DAZ took the approach with Genesis 2 they way they did. For some reason, hearing it come from you makes better to accept. Maybe it's because you are a very powerful figure connected to DAZ, or maybe it's because we DAZ customers know we can trust YOU. : )

But I do have one question that I'm surprised no one has really bothered asking: Will there be a Michael 4 for Genesis 2 Male? What about clones for the other Gen 4 and Gen 3 characters?

Also, do you have anything in the works that we can look forward to in regards to a Hitomi 2? Maybe a completely new character? :D

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited December 1969

In studio, what do you have the shading rate set to in your render settings?

• MallenLaneMallenLane Posts: 159
    edited December 1969

I am going over the seams again point by point today to correct some things; there will be an update.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

just hide the feet, its the fastest way to go, and it works well. I had to do the hide the feet trick on V4 and genesis1 in the past, so this isn't a new issue really. As long as the boots look natural, you are golden! The actual foot mesh isn't needed.

Yes, hiding feet or toes can work well sometimes, but it doesn't work for all shoe styles. Look what happened when I hid the toes that were poking out the bottom of the Daiquiri Shoes.

The problem seems to be that some shoes and boots are modeled without Toe bones. Going back to look, all three styles I tried and failed with have no toe bones before they are converted. Later I found some shoes that were modeled with toe bones, and they converted much better. Shoes and boots without toe bones are not converted correctly by this V4 to V6 product. I remember that SickleYield had two separate clones/templates for shoe conversion - one for shoes with toe bones and one for shoes without. I think that is what this product needs.

Daiquiri_shoes_toes_hidden.jpg
    800 x 693 - 108K
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:

In studio, what do you have the shading rate set to in your render settings?
    Haven't tested this on 0.1-0.2 yet.

edited December 1969

I am going over the seams again point by point today to correct some things; there will be an update.
    You rock, MallenLane.
    Btw, love your V4 for G2F, i already named her SuperV4 :-)

edited June 2013

barbult said:

Yes, hiding feet or toes can work well sometimes, but it doesn't work for all shoe styles. Look what happened when I hid the toes that were poking out the bottom of the Daiquiri Shoes.

The problem seems to be that some shoes and boots are modeled without Toe bones. Going back to look, all three styles I tried and failed with have no toe bones before they are converted. Later I found some shoes that were modeled with toe bones, and they converted much better. Shoes and boots without toe bones are not converted correctly by this V4 to V6 product. I remember that SickleYield had two separate clones/templates for shoe conversion - one for shoes with toe bones and one for shoes without. I think that is what this product needs.

That is a good point.

@MallenLane thanks!

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    ...]And DAZ has generally adapted the one generation back concept for previous generations of characters....
    Note that nothing is stopping you from using Victoria 3, Victoria 4, Victoria 5, Victoria 6, and even Victoria 1/2 in the same render.

The problem with the first is that much of the product made for Genesis was actually retrofitted from V4, especially in the case of skins... so going back one generation would not work very well in this case.

As to the second point, this touches on the issues of managing increasing complex libraries of content, which is a whole can of worms in itself. There should be a better solution, and I believe that is possible, re: my previous post.

And yet here we are in a thread where a PA has created that UV set and a clone to autofit the clothing already.

Your concern is already addressed and solved.

As for managing your content, it isn't all that complex. You can use the built in Database in DS, use one of the third party Databases, or organize your content in a manner that makes sense to you in the Content Library Pane of DS/Carrara/Poser. Since organization is not a one size fits all situation....
    As to 'addressed and solved' .. .while I appreciate the tool MallenLane created and am grateful for it, it is far from 'addressed and solved.'

As to managing content... I don't know how much reading you do of the forums. Either it's not much, or you totally ignore the fact that this is the single most griped about topic in the forums and seem to only see problems where they effect you personally.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

I take it my question can't be answered for business reasons? ; )

• Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

MallenLane: Thanks for explaining things in detail & for creating such amazing products! It really makes a difference. I admire you for going out of your way to help even though it meant putting yourself out there as a target for misdirected venting. I feel the community would have handled this a lot better if DAZ offered better communication but I know that's out of your hands. I'm not sure if Genesis 2 is for me (especially right now) but I am keeping an open mind.

From what I understand there are clear advantages to each figure. Essentially Genesis 2 offers improved realism & quality while Genesis 1 offers more versatility. I need to be able to create art that closely resembles the visions in my head and that fits my style, otherwise it does not feel like it's mine. So for this reason genesis 1 is a much better fit for me. I just hope there is room for both figures to last for a long time.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

Well, I actually mesh modeled, rigged, and did the base shape and the extended morph sets of Genesis 2 Female. I'm a contractor with DAZ, and I work within the specifications and timeline I'm given. I also was the primary designer of, and modeled the Genesis 1 product. But I'm not marketing and I don't control bundles etc. The V4 Clone product was something I did on my off hours and weekends.

People have a lot of questions surrounding decisions made about how Genesis 2 works and why the change, and I understand that. I can't really directly answer them though, because it's not my place to do so. There are a lot of benefits to having specificity at times, and those benefits are obvious to many, clearly, but they might not be to someone who simply wants flexibility at all cost. And Genesis 1 is flexibility at all cost.

I could sit here and go into an extremely long post of observations as a figure designer about why the change makes sense, about what it brings to the table for what it sacrifices; none of that is going make you feel any better about lost flexibility, if that's primarily what appeals to you. I can tell you, it's not all about making more money.

what's used in the creation proces, zbrush, mudxbox, digitalscan, maya, xsi, modo?
    interested more in the creation proces any tutorials coming up?

edited June 2013

May I please request that we also get support for the genesis female 2 gens? They don't support the V4 uv's still :(

As a workaround I tried auto fitting the old gens that support V4, but that doesn't work because it doesn't know to hide the overlapping mesh.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,343
    edited June 2013

barbult said:

This is my technique:

Try transfer rigging from G2F to heels, it works for me when I autofit G1 to G2.

See niccipb tutorial "Rigging High Heeled Shoes" in sharecg, pag 12-13.

It works G1-to-G2, maybe v4-to-G2

Edit: autofit first, unfit, pose feet like shoes, rerigg, and now fit.

heels.png
    677 x 860 - 227K
    leg.png
    681 x 860 - 201K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 769
    edited December 1969

Thanks Gilikshe!! Your conversions look good, so I tried your procedure on DX-30s Pumps2 for Genesis. DS4 (v4.6.0.18) crashed. this is what I did:

1. Use Auto Fit (AF) to fit one shoe to Genesis.

2. Unfit the shoe.

3. Applied DX30's foot pose. Note: at this point I had some poke-thru.

4. Attempted to Xfer the rigging as described in the tutorial P11 -13. DS4 crashed,

What am I doing wrong?

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 769
    edited June 2013

These are my V4 Shoe conversion attempts:

1. Idler Platform Pumps for V4. Original Item has no toe geometry nor bones.

2. Idler Candy Sandals for V4. Original Item has no toe geometry, but has toe bones.

3. Idler Casual Shoes for V4. Original Item has no toe geometry, but has toe bones. This is a surprise. Flat shoes normally convert well.

4. Socks from Idler Casual Shoes for V4. Original Item has toe geometry and bones. Note excess space in the toes.

Idler_Casual_Socks.jpg
    680 x 765 - 103K
    Idler_Casual_Shoes.jpg
    800 x 800 - 100K
    Idler_Candy_Sandals_.jpg
    800 x 800 - 95K
    Idler_Platform_Pumps.jpg
    800 x 800 - 102K
    Post edited by nakamuram002 on
  • martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,343
    edited December 1969

These are my V4 Shoe conversion attempts:

1. Idler Platform Pumps for V4. Original Item has no toe geometry nor bones.

2. Idler Candy Sandals for V4. Original Item has no toe geometry, but has toe bones.

3. Idler Casual Shoes for V4. Original Item has no toe geometry, but has toe bones. This is a surprise. Flat shoes normally convert well.

4. Socks from Idler Casual Shoes for V4. Original Item has toe geometry and bones. Note excess space in the toes.

is it V4 to G2F convertion?

1 and 3.- This simple convertion doesn't work with shifted shoes, if autofit shift your shoes a more complex aproach is needed.
    2.- When unfit, if shoes is only rotate, bend feet and toes to macht the shoes. In this images toes seem don't have enough bending.