Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• That was the plan. The above is less about sales and more about an actual financial/existential crisis.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

Whelp, everthing's totally gone to crap. Not sure if it's kosher to link a gofundme, but I have one. Badly in need of help Really hate admitting that, but I'm at the end of my ability.

I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling, not sure of the rules, but why not post the link, or how to find it, and leave it to the mods to decide if it can stay? 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2018

It becomes a Off Site Commercial, and therefore not allowable.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited January 2018
    Redz said:

Whelp, everthing's totally gone to crap. Not sure if it's kosher to link a gofundme, but I have one. Badly in need of help Really hate admitting that, but I'm at the end of my ability.

I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling, not sure of the rules, but why not post the link, or how to find it, and leave it to the mods to decide if it can stay? 

Probably the thing to do. I dunno. Overwhelmed right now?

I can't brain, can't eat really. A little bit on the eating, but it's hard.

(Link removed on advice.)

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • Chohole said:

Not selling anything. Just beggin for help surviving, but if you confirm this applies, I guess it's gotta go.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited January 2018
    Chohole said:

Not selling anything. Just beggin for help surviving, but if you confirm this applies, I guess it's gotta go.

If you've got a deviantArt or similar page, you could put a link to that dA/whatever page in your footer, and a link to your gofundme on that site. That would allow people to find it without breaking the forum TOS, and also let you showcase anything else you might want to showcase.

I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited January 2018
    vwrangler said:
    Chohole said:

If you've got a deviantArt or similar page, you could put a link to that dA/whatever page in your footer, and a link to your gofundme on that site. That would allow people to find it without breaking the forum TOS, and also let you showcase anything else you might want to showcase.

I'm kinda embarassed by my DA. To quote Cyrano, (or paraphrase) I've done better since. But thanks. I'll kill the link.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    vwrangler said:
    Chohole said:

I'm kinda embarassed by my DA. To quote Cyrano, (or paraphrase) I've done better since. But thanks. I'll kill the link.

So who cares whether it is pretty? We know your capabilities and generosity. Get that link out here so we can help you in appreciation for how you have helped us. Every little bit probably would help some, even if we as a community can't solve all your needs.

• barbult said:
    vwrangler said:
    Chohole said:

So who cares whether it is pretty? We know your capabilities and generosity. Get that link out here so we can help you in appreciation for how you have helped us. Every little bit probably would help some, even if we as a community can't solve all your needs.

Probably no one cares, but the thing about being vulnerable is it doesn't get easier once you start. I've read that pain and burden scale nonlinearly, and not in a singularity is near way. If I spend 20 bucks it might be 15 units of pain. But spend 200 isprobably much less than 150 pain. To really steal the metaphor from predictably irrational, if put a 1 pound brick in you empty back pack, you will notice.  If put that same brick in your 30 pound ruck sack, you might not even know I did it. It's an additive infintessimal, meaning it reaches a limit, to use calculus terms. Some point where the added pain of stepwise increase is so small it basically doesn't change the pain level

At least for me, being vulnerable isn't like that. The units of pain/shame that come of admitting that I can't lift myself up into the air by grabbing my boostraps and pulling seems wholly separate from just sharing work I used to be proud of, but have long since outgrown. So the pain seems plain linear. Logically I know that bootstrapping is impossible and that any artist starts with less skill than will have later. Logic and emotion are not so good at working together.  And my defense mechanisms have the clever agrument that if it was easy for me to use my DA or website thus, I'd look less like a honest person seeking help, and more like a grifter. That's what I keep telling myself. Probably self defeating, those thoughts, but I'll consider that with care.

These are good reasons you've given to do something. I know that. I need to get over myself. It's just that it seems each new step requires I do that again, and it's not easy. Hell, I've not yet gone full public so my family knows, and that's another thing I have to do. Have to. I imagine this what addicts feel like. Admit they have problem, hard. Ask for help, still hard. Face family, not getting easier. Find out you need to do more stuff, talk to more people, etc and so on. Probably why n-step programs are a thing. It may all be hard, but you know what's done and what isn't.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

Okay, I think I got it.

What's happening might be connect related. The most recent version of the script hard coded the primary search path. It uses the App Manager to get the library path, but the path to Genesis 3 Morphs is spelled out. That path won't work for Connect. So that would likely be the cuase of a null result. This is a Connect product, no?

If so, I'm not going to fix it.

Given what I have on my plate now, it doesn't make sense to make changes I can't really test. I have an idea of how to deal with it, but it makes more sense to put it into the new script.

Because the new method will require a beta test, first beta release will be feature limited and free. It will correct this issue.

Yes, it is connect.

• Yes, it is connect.

Okay. I'm sorry. I know I said I'd have the beta around the end of this week, but things have changed. Hopefully soon.

• Script Error: Line 23985
    TypeError: Result of expression 'mod' [null] is not an object.
    Stack Trace: ()@C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/G3 to G8 Morph Transfer/G3F to G8F Morph Transfer.dsa:23985

I am trying to run the script, but I keep getting the above. I suspect that the comment about choosing a favorite (and only one *smile*) is for after the script starts correctly. It won't even start properly for me, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong. I open it in the Script IDE tab and Execute from there. I use DIM, but I have updated via Connect before, so could that be the issue?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

No the chosing a favorite is needed for the script to work because it works from the favorite to all the connected morphs ,and an expression is not usually a morph so try picking a different favorite

• Where am I choosing that? To run the script I HAVE to use the Script IDE, and I'm just not seeing how to choose a favorite morph.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Kinsfire said:

Where am I choosing that? To run the script I HAVE to use the Script IDE, and I'm just not seeing how to choose a favorite morph.

Go to the Shaping Tab, then to the Morph you want to favorite & to the top right of the slider to adjust the morph you want to favorite there is a heart - hightligh the heart.

• Ah - I see. It works, in that I have the morphs I need as far as the body shape, but what about head shape? For example, if I use Paloma and some other G3F character head shapes, then I do NOT see those as available.

• Kinsfire said:

Ah - I see. It works, in that I have the morphs I need as far as the body shape, but what about head shape? For example, if I use Paloma and some other G3F character head shapes, then I do NOT see those as available.

I'm gonna try to be brief. That almost never works, but I'll try anyway.

The script is designed to automate a specific kind of morph transfer. It's not a "one" morph thing. Because of the simplistic way it was written (I've since learned better) you select one and only one morph because if you select more than one, the script will only use one of the selections and you can't easily predict in advance which.

So far, so breif.

What it does next is find the folder that morph is in and then transfers all of the morphs (but not HD helper files) and icons in that folder. So, for ex, if you select Paloma, Paloma Head, Paloma body, Paloma HD (I'm making this up) the script doesn't care. It will transfer everything in the Paloma product folder. The HD thing is not a mistake. HD morphs are always a basic morph/property that calls a HD helper file. The script doesn't transfer the helper files because it can't read them. If my guess about how HD works is right, transfering the files probably does nothing but it could lead to unexpected distortions. Either way, it just wastes disk space. But because some "HD" properties actually have normal morph deltas or important ERC controls in them, the script transfers them if they are in the folder. (also because it would be a pain to make it not transfer them. The key thing is, if you transfer an HD morph, it won't be really HD on the traget figure).

Not so breif, but not bad for me.

Main point, the script literally can't transfer "just the head." It's all or nothing. So if you transfer any part of a product, you get all of it.

• Ah, I see. Weird thing is, even if I choose (let's stick with Paloma) that figure, It doesn't convert it. I have no access to Paloma, or Mitsumi, or Gonzo the Wonder Chicken. *laugh* I do have all the various breast morphs that I used on the character, though.

Hey, if I have to carefully match the look from G3F to G8F, then so be it. You can understand if I wanted a somewhat faster process though. *laugh*

And before I go any further, let me thank you for writing this. It HAS already been helpful, once I understood what to do with it. So again, thank you for writing it.

• Further editing of what I'm doing - I finally understand the purpose of the script, and am happily moving various morphs from my G3F over to be usable on G8 - I want to see what she looks like then. 

(insert a manly SQUEE! into this space) <-- This SQUEE! made possible by SingularBlues laugh

• I've looked at he documentation for FWSA Paloma. I see no reason would not transfer.

Bear in mind. This product is "For Victoria 7" so if you don't transfer vicki 7, it won't work correctly.

When techie people say stuff like "I see no reason it won't work" it because there's no basic reason it won't work. Either it is not being used correctly, or something specific is broken and the tech person has not been informed.

The most obvious way to get the script to "fail" is to mess up the "one and only one," instruaction. It's easy to do. Forget to clear a favorite, seek a new morph, favorite that, start a transfer.

The issue is, again, the script only expects one favorite, and if gets more, you can predict which it will use. Say you transfer X. X is transfered. You add Y to favorites without removing X. Y is transfered. You add Z with removing X or Y. Y is transfered. From your POV, the script stopped working. From the script's POV it is doing exactly what you are telling it to, which to transfer Y.

Why? It's technical, but the bottom line is it expects on favorite, but it checks all morphs to see if any are favorited. If it finds the morphs in the order Z, X, Y it will say, "You want Z, no wait forget Z, because I found X, no wait forget X because I found Y. I've found nothing elses, so you want Y." 

As I said, there is no easy way to predict what order it will find the morphs in. There probably is a pattern to it, I just don't need to know what it is. Just make sure to clear your favorites before a transfer and make sure and required products are also transfered for best results. Also note, as I mentioned befoe, the HD aspects of this product will not transfer. I don't know how much is HD, that much doesn't matter. The properties would still transfer.

edited January 2018
    Kinsfire said:

Ah - I see. It works, in that I have the morphs I need as far as the body shape, but what about head shape? For example, if I use Paloma and some other G3F character head shapes, then I do NOT see those as available.

The slider is a combined slider for many morphs that make Paloma & DAZ Studio doesn't have a heart for the combined sliders that the slider you see Paloma is using. You must heart the Paloma sliders that make her as the individual sliders not the combined slider. Then you can do the Singular Blues script OK which you found out works quite well.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited January 2018

Paloma actually transferred totally fine for me. Since the Genesis 8 body morphs match the Genesis 3 ones the dials all tied in correctly. Her main morphs are all in the same folder too, so you can favorite any "Paloma" morph.

EDIT: Also, if you transfer the Genesis 3 morphs I think they will overwrite your Genesis 8 versions, you really do not want to do this if you have the Genesis 8 morphs.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • After sine trial and error, I figured out what I was doing wrong. It's funny that most will transfer, but I have the Mitsuki character, and she will NOT. (No big problem with that - just thought it was interesting.)

Also hadn't realized just how many morphs I had on this one character - good LORD is there a lot for me to transfer in order to get her to look the same! (My fault for perfecting her in G3F...*laugh*)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

If you have a character with a great many morphs, you could try exporting that character as an OBJ, which will consolidate all the morphs. Then create a new morph of your own using Morph Loader Pro with the exported file and you will then only have the one morph to convert.

• Must be a different Paloma.

Well, I am exhausted, and still rather frustrated due to life crap, but as there was very little I could do this weekend, I've been working to the prototype.

What I've discovered was what I expected. All the bits worked individually but together, it all goes to hell in a hand basket. As a result, the basic script is now fully proven. It just needs Male support, which is less an issue of code as it is an issue of creating a handful of support files.

I'm waffling on crossgender support, atm just because I'm at the sweaty rear-end of a bunch of (admittedly productive) troubleshooting. Several of the issues that cropped up would have been show stoppers and had nothing to do with the code being wrong, per se, but with changes to figures rendering the code ineffective. So basically, I'm just grumpy. Expect the test article in the next day or two.* I need to work out one last function to make it clean up some temp files it uses. If it has crossgender, it has it, and if not, not. blame the grump. As I've said, not supporting crossgender requires added code, but supporting requires another pair of helper files I still haven't made, so it boils down to which task seems the least trouble. I really wanted to finish this off before Monday, but at this point, I happy I've got it performing as intended. There were fiddly settings that were leading to whole groops of verts not transfering at all, and these might come back to to bite my butt when I move into Genesis 2 and Genesis, but they work now.

For anyone interested in performance, the test morphs were an FBM, FHM, and another FBM. These exact morphs were transfered using the old script and then the new.
    Total script run time under the old method: 5 minutes 59.19 seconds
    Total script run time using the new method for the same morphs: 5.44 seconds.

Yes, that is seconds. Somewhere between 60 and 70 times faster.  So far, using the same morphs, under a lot of different conditions, the longest run was 7.8 seconds, and shortest 3.4. In the case of the longest, it was overwriting existing files. I've not gotten round to testing fingernails (which will definitely work, but I'm not sure of quality). Up to just now, I've been hammering out little what the fresh is going here issues.

*I'm still up a brown creek sans paddle, so it's entirely possible that more pressing matters will arise. If so, it might be this weekend before a release, but it's unlikely I'll have much to do then but worry.

• marth_emarth_e Posts: 172

Thats's great news, Singular Blues. Thank you so much for all your hard work. The old script already worked like a charm so I can't wait to try the new and improved one.

Cheers,

Martha E.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

Must be a different Paloma.

Well, I am exhausted, and still rather frustrated due to life crap, but as there was very little I could do this weekend, I've been working to the prototype.

What I've discovered was what I expected. All the bits worked individually but together, it all goes to hell in a hand basket. As a result, the basic script is now fully proven. It just needs Male support, which is less an issue of code as it is an issue of creating a handful of support files.

I'm waffling on crossgender support, atm just because I'm at the sweaty rear-end of a bunch of (admittedly productive) troubleshooting. Several of the issues that cropped up would have been show stoppers and had nothing to do with the code being wrong, per se, but with changes to figures rendering the code ineffective. So basically, I'm just grumpy. Expect the test article in the next day or two.* I need to work out one last function to make it clean up some temp files it uses. If it has crossgender, it has it, and if not, not. blame the grump. As I've said, not supporting crossgender requires added code, but supporting requires another pair of helper files I still haven't made, so it boils down to which task seems the least trouble. I really wanted to finish this off before Monday, but at this point, I happy I've got it performing as intended. There were fiddly settings that were leading to whole groops of verts not transfering at all, and these might come back to to bite my butt when I move into Genesis 2 and Genesis, but they work now.

For anyone interested in performance, the test morphs were an FBM, FHM, and another FBM. These exact morphs were transfered using the old script and then the new.
    Total script run time under the old method: 5 minutes 59.19 seconds
    Total script run time using the new method for the same morphs: 5.44 seconds.

Yes, that is seconds. Somewhere between 60 and 70 times faster.  So far, using the same morphs, under a lot of different conditions, the longest run was 7.8 seconds, and shortest 3.4. In the case of the longest, it was overwriting existing files. I've not gotten round to testing fingernails (which will definitely work, but I'm not sure of quality). Up to just now, I've been hammering out little what the fresh is going here issues.

*I'm still up a brown creek sans paddle, so it's entirely possible that more pressing matters will arise. If so, it might be this weekend before a release, but it's unlikely I'll have much to do then but worry.

Wow that’s fast! Cheering you on here. You can do it. 

Yes, it is good progress you are making. Hope you are well financially rewarded for your product when it is ready for release.

• Wow, huge improvement. I am rooting for you.

edited March 2018

It's the little things that drive you mad.

If anyone has an idea about how to make DazScript recursively delete folders, I'm all ears. I'm tired of thinking about that.

Anyway, here's a prototype.

The use of this script is different than the old, but it's not massively so. All the old warnings apply. This could break your stuff, use at your own risk, etc. The point is to help develop it so that it is very unlikely to break your stuff.

What's the same?
    You still need to load the figure you want to transfer from.
    You still need to select a favorite morph to tell the script what to transfer.
    It will still transfer ALL the morphs in the same product as the targeted morph.

What's changed?
    You now need to load the Target figure. 
    Both figures need to be selected when the script is run.
    The selection order is important. First select the source figure, then select the target.
    The number of favorites is no longer important. The script should transfer all products associated with all favorites.
    No more progress bar. No real point. The script moves so fast, there's not a lot of need for it.
    The script is part of a system of files, and probably won't work if not installed correctly. It's not hard to install, but it has to be in the primary library (EDIT: Studio and you may disagree about the definition primary. For Studio this is the first library in your list libraries in Content Driectory Manager under DAZ Studio Formats). It depends on that to be able to find all the other bits it uses. nIt's already packaged. Just extract the contents of the content folder into your primary library and all will be well.
    It should work with Connect, however, it will not save to the connect library.
    EDIT: You must reload the target figure to see the changes. Some morphs will show immediately, but the will not be correctly configured. ATM I can't do that on a loaded figure.

Use it responsibly. Use it in peace.