Interactive License?

3DMinh3DMinh Posts: 218
edited November 2017 in The Commons

Hi,

I've just read the Interactive License note at https://www.daz3d.com/interactive-license-info

I think I got it, but I just want to make sure:

+ As long as I don't actually give my customer the actual 3D content of the models, then I don't need the Interactive License right? By "giving the customer the 3D content" I mean the mesh, the rendering job of the models.

+ For example, if I make an interactive game that allows player to move the characters around, but the characters are only the rendered images, and there is no "rendering job" is done on  the player's machine, do I need an Interactive License?

Thank you.  

Post edited by 3DMinh on

Comments

• 3DMinh3DMinh Posts: 218

Also, what's the point of this Interactive License? Is it because Daz3d wants to give the developers the option to only buy the models they want to have "interactive elements" like characters, and skip the models they only use for static elements like backgrounds?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,955
    edited November 2017

If all you are doing is just creating 2d images then there is no need for it.. If making a visual novel style game where you are only using 2D pre rendered images, then no you don't need a license..

If you are making a game that is using the meshes and textures, then you will need a license..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517

..that's what I gathered from reading the description.

kyoto kid said:

..that's what I gathered from reading the description.

Yes. I just want to make sure because they suddenly added this Interactive License. And the fact they named it “Interactive” makes me worry that any Interactive element would be affected.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517

...yeah I had to read through it beforehand as well as I am using rendered images for published illustrations as well as for sale as digital prints.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

From what I understand, the name has to do with allowing the same additional rights that you get with the old gaming license and letting it be known that it can be used for non-gaming purposes.

So if you want to use the content for making a real-time rendered workplace safety training simulator (which is definitely not fun, so wouldn't really be a game) then you would know that this license would cover it, whereas when it was just named "game developer license" it didn't seem to cover that case.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

... also this now allows for people to pick up just the individual license add-ons they need instead of having to buy an extended license for an entire PA in one go. Now you can pick and choose exactly what you want.

edited November 2017

Quoted from that link:

"If however,

You want to create an experience where someone can alter what is happening, such as an application or a video game that changes depending on what the user does, then such things will generally require access to information about the 3D assets so that it can move them around, alter them, and generally manipulate them to change the user experience."

Where I have coloured the text is the reason for the interactive license..  2D prerendered images are covered under the standard EULA as they do not contain any asset information..

DAZ_Rawb said:

From what I understand, the name has to do with allowing the same additional rights that you get with the old gaming license and letting it be known that it can be used for non-gaming purposes.

So if you want to use the content for making a real-time rendered workplace safety training simulator (which is definitely not fun, so wouldn't really be a game) then you would know that this license would cover it, whereas when it was just named "game developer license" it didn't seem to cover that case.

Actually that makes things a lot better in that it now covers more than just 3D games like the old one did..

• Except it means there's a gigantic ugly block on every product page.  Is there somewhere under settings I can go to get rid of these option boxes?

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Except it means there's a gigantic ugly block on every product page.  Is there somewhere under settings I can go to get rid of these option boxes?

This.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    Nath said:

Except it means there's a gigantic ugly block on every product page.  Is there somewhere under settings I can go to get rid of these option boxes?

This.

Here's hoping that Ati and Overdrawn can add some sort of "hide Optional License" to their awesome Daz-Deals add-on. :)

edited November 2017

It needs to be there for obvious reasons, but also it saves up on product duplication advertising.. And well it is not that bad, and well I think it is just getting blown out of all proportion..

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639
    Nath said:

This.

Here's hoping that Ati and Overdrawn can add some sort of "hide Optional License" to their awesome Daz-Deals add-on. :)

This.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982

Just a heads up, that the previous "Indie/Pro" Commercial license is no longer available in the store.

It would be interesting to know what someone who has one of the two sees when they are looking at the product page, as it was mentioned in another thread that those licenses remained valid and would continue to cover new content by that PA...?

• a-sennova-sennov Posts: 331

So, they have removed overpriced 'artist-wide' licenses and replaced them with even more overpriced 'per-product' ones?

Stonemason's products are good but they're far from being game-ready (no FBX sources, unoptimized textures and geometry, no LODs) and would require a LOT of work to be brought into game engine so I'm not ready to pay 3 times more just for right to use them. The license price should be 5$ instead of 50$.

Clarification of EULA for 'serious games' and visualizations is step in right direction thou :)

• eheiehbruno@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 842
    edited November 2017

I have the Daz game license and I got quite a scare when I saw the price of the interactive license on a PC product. Glad the old ones are still operational. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but despite their names the text of the old licenses seemed to cover any and all interactive applications that used 3d content, it didn't have any text that specified they were only for games.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • So instead of paying 500$ to be able to use daz mesh into my game i have to pay 35$ each?

Are you kidding me?  so i just invested 1K over the last month for nothing?

Are you kidding!!!!??!!!!!

• Yes it's up to you to get it games ready. I am doing a games ready version of my skeleton from 190K to 18K poly's and 2K maps atlas.

• So indie game dev must pay 35$ for each mesh they bough previously instead of 500$ for the indie game dev license?

How the hell is that suppose to be better for indie game dev???

Ive notice lot of indie game dev exploring the workflow DAZ to UE4 / unity

.... ive spend 1000 $ for asset i wont probably use because i cant afford the individual interactive license on it?

At that price, most game dev will stick to the marketplace of the engine itself....  

• If you buy it for a bundle (victoria 8 bundle), do you get an interactive lesson for each item in the bundle (meaning you pay 50$ to use all item in the bundle in a video game)?

edited November 2017
    a-sennov said:

So, they have removed overpriced 'artist-wide' licenses and replaced them with even more overpriced 'per-product' ones?

Stonemason's products are good but they're far from being game-ready (no FBX sources, unoptimized textures and geometry, no LODs) and would require a LOT of work to be brought into game engine so I'm not ready to pay 3 times more just for right to use them. The license price should be 5$ instead of 50$.

Clarification of EULA for 'serious games' and visualizations is step in right direction thou :)

Hmm the old indie developer license, is it an one-game/product license? And how about the new "interactive license"? 

Regardless, I think that the new license type is better. In 3D Games, I think not everything needs to be 3D? For example, with a fixed camera/POV, everything but movable objects can be 2D Images (rendered images). Now we can choose to buy what we actually need, not the whole "PAs-wide/ store-wide" overpriced license.

Post edited by 3DMinh on
  • Does this cover 3D printing now?

edited November 2017

So indie game dev must pay 35$ for each mesh they bough previously instead of 500$ for the indie game dev license?

How the hell is that suppose to be better for indie game dev???

Ive notice lot of indie game dev exploring the workflow DAZ to UE4 / unity

.... ive spend 1000 $ for asset i wont probably use because i cant afford the individual interactive license on it?

At that price, most game dev will stick to the marketplace of the engine itself....  

Well I think this new type of license is not for everyone. But for me, this will allow me to develop many games with fixed Camera/POV with a small budget. I have to buy only the licenses for the characters and items that need to be rendered on the player's machines. Other things like a really beautiful scene can be a rendered 2d image, and I don't have to buy the interactive license for it.

Still it's a limit for anyone who wants to build fully 3D games with a lot of assets... 

Post edited by 3DMinh on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited November 2017
    Karuki said:

Does this cover 3D printing now?

You still need to be patient. Daz is working on part 5 of their EULA, that covers 3D printing.

It was already discussed in:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/206201/3d-printing-plugin-for-daz-studio-gameprint-commercial/p10

Post edited by Artini on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,078
    Artini said:
    Karuki said:

You still need to be patient. Daz is working on part 5 of their EULA, that covers 3D printing.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/206201/3d-printing-plugin-for-daz-studio-gameprint-commercial/p10

That's somebody else doing the 3d printing for you. Not allowing you to do the 3d printing yourself. These are two different things. Addendum 5 of the new new EULA, however, refers to 3d printing in genberal, but does not give a specific price yet. Although there may already be something in the store, it's the forums I check first each day. :D

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited November 2017

In regards to Indie/Pro license, I just wanted to add this from a previous post by one of the DAZ guys: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2890791/#Comment_2890791

DAZ_Steve said:
    BeeMKay said:

I'm curious as to how already purchased Indie/Pro licenses will transfer over to this new model. I mean, some customers bought them to cover past and future releases by a DAZ or a specific PA.

Forgive me for keeping details to a minimum, as I don't want to steal the thunder from things.  But I will say that:

1- The changes will be much more clearly laid out as to what they mean (I agree with the points that many have made that it should be spelled out more clearly than it has historically.)

2- Indie and Pro Licenses already owned will continue for current and future products, so that those who made those purchases will get the value they expected to get when they made the purchase.

Ati said:
    Artini said:
    Karuki said:

That's somebody else doing the 3d printing for you. Not allowing you to do the 3d printing yourself. These are two different things. Addendum 5 of the new new EULA, however, refers to 3d printing in genberal, but does not give a specific price yet. Although there may already be something in the store, it's the forums I check first each day. :D

Section 1 covers your own 3D printing for private use... Section 5 covers the 3D printing for Commercial use, i.e. if you want to sell your 3D prints.
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,078
    BeeMKay said:
    Section 5 covers the 3D printing for Commercial use, i.e. if you want to sell your 3D prints.

It sort of covers it... It tells you that you need to buy something that is not actually available, and we have no idea how much it costs. (And yeah, I was referring to commercial use.)

• mikekmikek Posts: 192

minhdinheeit said:

Regardless, I think that the new license type is better. In 3D Games, I think not everything needs to be 3D? For example, with a fixed camera/POV, everything but movable objects can be 2D Images (rendered images). Now we can choose to buy what we actually need, not the whole "PAs-wide/ store-wide" overpriced license.

It depends on the project one wants to do. I had planed to buy the old indy licences but decided to wait for the change and I got seriously fummed today about myself for waiting. Somehow I expected the new licenses would be only an alternative to the old ones but the old ones are now completly gone. For very very small projects the change should have advantages. But I will have to rethink my project as my budget won't allow it with the new licenses in the same way. So either cut it down or as you suggest possible do most of it with 2D and only 3D where really necessary.

• a-sennova-sennov Posts: 331
    a-sennov said:

Hmm the old indie developer license, is it an one-game/product license? And how about the new "interactive license"? 

Yep, it was. Now, as far as I understand current EULA there is no limits on number or type of applications that you may use assets in. And this also applies to owners of 'old' licenses. That's cool :)

Games usually need many assets. Here are my numbers: currently I'm using assets from like 200 DAZ Original products (not every single mesh but at least something from each product), I've bought Indie license for 182$ (sales :) ). That means I've paid like 1$ extra for the right to use the product in my app - which is quite reasonable price, I think :) With current scheme it would be 10000$ - not acceptable.

• I own he indie like license and still see the interactive add on price. Strange thing

Victoria 8 pro bundle charges an extra 50 which you would think covers all content in the pack. But the basic Victoria model alone charges the same 50 for the add on.

I think daz has a few things to work out