3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

1464748495052»

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Hmmm, turned everything off but the skydome and realized that the Diffuse was turned off so turned that on, set the Glossiness to default, Specular color to white and Specular strength to default.... I sort of get some feedback on the eyes but not like yours above...

Skydome Only.jpg
    850 x 850 - 183K
  • Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303

Do you render at gamma 2.2 ?

Try to set reflection strength at 100 % and check if the render without light gives more reflection

If you still have problem, can you post the complete shader parameters?

So here is the result.  I'm off to go to dinner, be back in a few hours...

Gamma on at 2.2 and Reflection on at 100%

Thanks for the help! 

Rich

SkyDome Only Gamma 2.2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 110K

Seems alright to me. I see no light source, so that explains the weak reflection

Is there a HDR map you test with then?  I'm using one that I like but not necessarily the right one for testing. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

You know, I'm finding the easy management of displacement details in 3dl a REAL joy to work with when creating textures.

In Iray it's like trying to stay on a bronco, but in 3DL? Easy peasy.

WyrmScale1 Rust Desert 3dl.jpg
    2160 x 1335 - 759K

RAMWolff said:

Is there a HDR map you test with then?  I'm using one that I like but not necessarily the right one for testing. 

As mentionned earlier in the thread I'm just using the DS Standard HDR map (the default one in the Iray environment parameters).  You could also add a plane (mine is 100 m long) with ambiant at 100% for testing purpose (for the bottom of the eyes reflection). I rotated UE to get the sun in the sclera

You know, I'm finding the easy management of displacement details in 3dl a REAL joy to work with when creating textures.

In Iray it's like trying to stay on a bronco, but in 3DL? Easy peasy.

That's one of the big plus of 3DL and you can do a lot more than that

edited July 2017

Got the glints going finally.  Here is 3DL and 3DL SSS

FullEyes-3DL.png
    850 x 850 - 991K
    FullEyes-3DL-SSS.png
    850 x 850 - 985K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on

Congrats.

I prefer the non SSS version

As do I.  Thanks for all your help Takeo!  Much appreciated! 

OK, another question.  I'd really love to know how to use DOF properly.  I have Tommy's head framed but far enough back so you can see the background.  I'd love the background to be blurred out but MOST of Tommy's face to be crisp and in focus.  I've tried with negative values using Focal Distance.  Perhaps I am using the wrong slider to get this but it will cause things to get really blurred out so I'm thinking I'm on the right track but I have no idea how to get there. 

Thanks

Rich

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited July 2017
    RAMWolff said:

OK, another question.  I'd really love to know how to use DOF properly.  I have Tommy's head framed but far enough back so you can see the background.  I'd love the background to be blurred out but MOST of Tommy's face to be crisp and in focus.  I've tried with negative values using Focal Distance.  Perhaps I am using the wrong slider to get this but it will cause things to get really blurred out so I'm thinking I'm on the right track but I have no idea how to get there.

You need to have the right focal distance (it's always positive) and the right f/step. The latter control how "deep" the DoF is and can be "crazy" high (it does not affect tonemapping in 3Delight). The closer your camera is to the subject, the higher (may be even in the hundreds, if you don't want a shallow DoF). There is an easy way to see what will be in focus: in the camera properties, find the "display" section, and there are the "DOF" params for the "scene" view. Change the colour to something you can see, like red. Then if you select the camera in the scene tab, it will show you the DoF box in the colour you just chose. Stuff inside the box will be sharp, outside the box it will be more or less blurry (the shallower the box, the blurrier). // UPD: forgot to say, you need to look through another camera, like the perspective view //

There is an easy way to get the distance right: here's a script - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/43636/ - and a bit later in that thread, mCasual posted a link to a script that will create a handy null you can use for the script. I've used this combo since the release. It's pretty flawless. You just need to adjust the f/step to taste.

Post edited by Mustakettu85 on

Dropbox link is dead so do you have this script still?  I see that you posted in that thread.  Thank you! 

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

I do have, but I'm not sure on the redistribution thing - it didn't come with a readme. Maybe you could ask the original author Cwichura instead?

Well it IS a freebie script so not sure why it would be a problem.  I'll try to track this member down and ask.

• RAMWolff said:

Well it IS a freebie script so not sure why it would be a problem.  I'll try to track this member down and ask.

Free is not the same as Public Domain - unless stated otherwise a freebie may not be sahred with others, except by pointing them to the original download.

That's cool.  Thanks for the info Richard.  The author has already been in touch and provided me with the file.  Seems that there was that update to how files are shared through DropBox. So hopefully the author will update that in their thread as well!