3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

----------------

Rogerbee said:
    Heeeere's Gia!!

I did make some adjustments, like setting gamma on the maps, 2.2 for diffuse and 1 for spec and bump and I think she looks like she did in the promos.

You could try lowering diffuse strength or diffuse colour on that white bikini. Pure white is like 100% reflectance which isn't particularly lifelike.

----------------

Yeah, good call, it was a bit of a quickie in that department, I was paying more attention to the skin and the lighting.

CHEERS!

edited April 2015

Ok, I studied Mustakettu's tutorial on SSS, I could make head nor tail of the geometry shell idea (tutorial on creating them needed) or turning Diffuse off, this just turned the diffuse texture off as far as I could see. However, I pressed on with the rest and colour me impressed! I've done more in a morning than in several days with Wowie's setup. So, it just remains for me to wholeheartedly thank Mustakettu85 and introduce *drumroll*.... BJORN!!!!!

CHEERS!

Bjorm_Musk_MAT.jpg
    577 x 750 - 222K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited April 2015

Chappie used physically based shaders, though, and some interesting dynamic lighting.
    http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-practical-and-digital-tech-behind-chappie/

Speaking of Chappie, has anyone actually seen the movie? I keep reading reviews that say that hip hop culture plays such a huuuge part in it, and so I kinda don't know if I should watch it or not (I'm anything but a hip hop fan).

The theme is rather predictable, though there's a twist in the end. If you like District 9 and/or Elysium, you'd probably like Chappie. If you don't, then you probably will think it was just an OK movie.

For me, it was like watching Pacific Rim - the VFX tech are AWESOME, the acting not so much and the story is, well, predictable. But its much better than the new Godzilla (or the old one for that matter).

I agree wholeheartedly with the fxphd commentary though, the star is undoubtedly Copely (voice & diction) and the animators (movement, gestures etc). Chappie & The Scout robots were animated by hand, no motion capture were used. For me, Chappie reminds me of Wall-E and EVE, by that I mean they successfully made me empathize with the character. Certainly more than I can say about all the Navi in Avatar or Smeagol in Lord of the Rings.

Post edited by wowie on
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I am really impressed. There is so much I have yet to learn in Studio and 3Delight.

edited April 2015

Thank you,

With Mustakettu's settings, I think there can be a good balance between specular, gloss and fresnel. I don't think I had any of them set up quite right before and something looked off. Turning off the gloss on Rob's body really helps to sell his skin tone.

CHEERS!

PS (What I really want now are some photorealistic settings for eyes, they would be the icing on the cake. Anyone!?)

Rob_Musk_MAT.jpg
    577 x 750 - 165K
    edited April 2015

Rogerbee said:

PS (What I really want now are some photorealistic settings for eyes, they would be the icing on the cake. Anyone!?)

The sclera is too bluish and there's not enough refraction in the cornea. Generally you should use reflection only on the eye surface but haven't found the right settings for that.

michael-jordan-23.jpg
    447 x 655 - 51K
    Rob.jpg
    823 x 1070 - 323K
    Post edited by wowie on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I think I might get Actual Eyes 4, they look like what I'm after.

CHEERS!

edited April 2015

Rogerbee said:

I think most of the presets are baked in reflections, so they're not going to be as good as real raytraced ones.

Post edited by wowie on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

wowie said:

What FILTER? Please? I'm weak in PhotoShop but I really want to know how to do this.

I used GIMP for the above example, but the settings shouldn't be that much different.
    You still have to use the eraser on the eyelids and the lips, but those settings should give quite a good control map for SSS strength.

I'll try that. I desaturated and used Threshold and got a passable result.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

That really still doesn't answer my question: how does one even out the tones to get white/near white?

Divide by the colour closest to the main skin tone.

I wish I could say that that statement did not go completely over my head. Alas, I can not.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Ok, I studied Mustakettu's tutorial on SSS, I could make head nor tail of the geometry shell idea (tutorial on creating them needed) or turning Diffuse off

Thank you for taking a look at the tutorial! What I meant about turning diffuse off: there are those "ON/OFF" buttons in each and every section of the UberSurface shaders, next to words like "Diffuse active" or "Opacity active". If you click these, they will change state. Diffuse is on by default, but it can be turned off (and its results will still affect SSS calculations).

And have you found the menu item for geometry shells? It's in the "Create" dropdown, should be right above "new deformer".

-------

Divide by the colour closest to the main skin tone.

I wish I could say that that statement did not go completely over my head. Alas, I can not.

Okay... What you should do is: use the colour picker somewhere on your skin texture. It will give you some flesh-like shade. Then you create a new layer in your texture file and flood-fill it with the shade you colour-picked off the texture. Then you go into layer properties of your skin texture layer and in the blend modes, you select "Divide" (there will be "add", "multiply", "overlay" etc, and there should be "Divide", too). I am sorry I do not have Photoshop so I can´t be more specific (I use Paint.NET where additional blend modes are a separate plugin), but I believe that you may need to move the constant colour layer underneath the skin texture one for "divide" to work properly.

What you should end up with is a mostly white texture with dark and differently coloured areas pretty much intact.

--------

The theme is rather predictable, though there's a twist in the end. If you like District 9 and/or Elysium, you'd probably like Chappie. If you don't, then you probably will think it was just an OK movie.

I agree wholeheartedly with the fxphd commentary though, the star is undoubtedly Copely (voice & diction) and the animators (movement, gestures etc). Chappie & The Scout robots were animated by hand, no motion capture were used.

I didn´t watch Elysium because I read it was rendered in Arnold, so I wasn't really interested =) . But District 9 wasn't bad.

Thank you for the review... I guess I should watch it, then. I'm always awed by animation done without mocap. There was that 1998 action/adventure/semi-RPG game Heretic II by Raven Software, and the animation was all done by hand. To this day, I haven't seen a lot of game animation that would be better.

edited December 1969

wowie said:
    Rogerbee said:

I think most of the presets are baked in reflections, so they're not going to be as good as real raytraced ones.

That's true, but, you don't always have something to reflect in the screen and they don't always look good when all you get is a reflection of the lights in the scene.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Ok, I studied Mustakettu's tutorial on SSS, I could make head nor tail of the geometry shell idea (tutorial on creating them needed) or turning Diffuse off

Thank you for taking a look at the tutorial! What I meant about turning diffuse off: there are those "ON/OFF" buttons in each and every section of the UberSurface shaders, next to words like "Diffuse active" or "Opacity active". If you click these, they will change state. Diffuse is on by default, but it can be turned off (and its results will still affect SSS calculations).

And have you found the menu item for geometry shells? It's in the "Create" dropdown, should be right above "new deformer"

I did find the menu item, but couldn't make much sense of what I was supposed to do with it. I just tried the Diffuse off thing, but wasn't keen, the skin seemed to lack detail when I tried it and it looks better with the diffuse on so I'll stick with it.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

That's true, but, you don't always have something to reflect

You could try sticking a huge plane with an image on it behind the render camera. If you put the image into the ambient channel, it will "light itself".

edited December 1969

Yeah, I've heard about that sort of thing, I guess I could give it a go. I never have had many really nice iris textures, so I could get Actual Eyes 4 for those at least, I'll see how I go. There's still a few skins I want to feed to your skin settings....

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Yeah, I've heard about that sort of thing, I guess I could give it a go. I never have had many really nice iris textures, so I could get Actual Eyes 4 for those at least, I'll see how I go. There's still a few skins I want to feed to your skin settings....

I have Actual Eyes 2, I believe, and those irises were nice indeed, so if the authors haven't fallen into the oh-so-dated habit of releasing irises with baked-in highlights (Teen Jayden's Lance bonus texture, I'm looking at you), it may be a worthy investment. Surreality also has a nice texture set called "Real Eyes" here, but those are for Gen4 UV mapping.

-----------

Hey everyone,

Rogerbee reminded me we're heading towards the 100 pages limit. Who will host the next thread and how are we going to call it? I suggest we stick the "laboratory" word in there somewhere at last =)

edited December 1969

As far as I can recall, all eyes have the same UV no matter which figure it is. Genesis eyes only differed because they had no eye surface. I have the old Gen4 Eye Maps pack and that has some good things in it. I believe I even converted all the MATs to .duf format, I'll have to have a look at them. I have one of the Actual Eyes sets, but I think it was for Genesis so nothing was there for reflections. Project EyeRis showed promise, but I thought all the eyes looked weird. I'll just have to have a look around and see what I can come up with.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

As far as I can recall, all eyes have the same UV no matter which figure it is.

You may well be right, I just don't have that many Genesis/Genesis2 UVs so I have no way to tell for sure if they all share Gen4 mapping.

Project EyeRis showed promise, but I thought all the eyes looked weird.

I wish the author of Project Eyeris finally swapped Shader Mixer for Shader Builder. There are other interesting shader-related projects in that PA´s store, but I cringe at the thought of how unstable they may become any day because of Mixer's being prone to bugs.

As for more eye textures, I have Valea's Visions of Colour and Light packs that are amazing, but they are all for Gen3. I don't know if she has Gen4-mapped ones out. Well, if Zigraphix gets her Gen3 UV for Genesis done, then everyone would be able to use Valea´s ones, too.

edited December 1969

Straight forward MAT's will do me for the moment I think.

CHEERS!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

As far as I can recall, all eyes have the same UV no matter which figure it is.

You may well be right, I just don't have that many Genesis/Genesis2 UVs so I have no way to tell for sure if they all share Gen4 mapping.

Project EyeRis showed promise, but I thought all the eyes looked weird.

I wish the author of Project Eyeris finally swapped Shader Mixer for Shader Builder. There are other interesting shader-related projects in that PA´s store, but I cringe at the thought of how unstable they may become any day because of Mixer's being prone to bugs.

As for more eye textures, I have Valea's Visions of Colour and Light packs that are amazing, but they are all for Gen3. I don't know if she has Gen4-mapped ones out. Well, if Zigraphix gets her Gen3 UV for Genesis done, then everyone would be able to use Valea´s ones, too.

Eyes are probably the easiest to redo, manually. I've done quite a few cut and paste 'transplants' in GIMP. The templates are pretty simple and it's just a matter of dropping the correct parts in the correct slots. Not many seams to worry about and some parts do overlap others so it's not super critical that the edges be perfect, like it is when doing body textures.

edited December 1969

They sound simple to the accomplished artist, but still complicated to the layman.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Eyes are probably the easiest to redo, manually.

Someone like you or me can and will redo. But unfortunately there are still people out there who fully rely on presets and won't even adjust a surface parameter.

What thread name do you suggest for the new one, Mjc? We have eight pages to go before this one's closed.

edited December 1969

I had another crack at Rob's eyes and loaded the same shader and settings for the cornea as I did the eye reflection. I previously left out the cornea as I thought that just the eye reflection would be enough.

CHEERS!

Rob_Eyes.jpg
    577 x 750 - 194K
    edited December 1969

Bjorn with the same settings.

CHEERS!

Bjorn_Eyes.jpg
    577 x 750 - 240K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

I have Actual Eyes 2, I believe, and those irises were nice indeed, so if the authors haven't fallen into the oh-so-dated habit of releasing irises with baked-in highlights (Teen Jayden's Lance bonus texture, I'm looking at you), it may be a worthy investment. Surreality also has a nice texture set called "Real Eyes" here, but those are for Gen4 UV mapping.

-----------

Hey everyone,

Rogerbee reminded me we're heading towards the 100 pages limit. Who will host the next thread and how are we going to call it? I suggest we stick the "laboratory" word in there somewhere at last =) "laboratory" , lol. I'll second.

edited December 1969

And here's a close up.

CHEERS!

Eye_Close_Up.jpg
    577 x 750 - 313K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

I had another crack at Rob's eyes and loaded the same shader and settings for the cornea as I did the eye reflection. I previously left out the cornea as I thought that just the eye reflection would be enough.

CHEERS!

I've often looked at figures, and wished there was a 'Ray-trace' reflection option to go with all the pseudo environment maps. It would add a considerable amount of realism to the figures in full 360 scenes.

And then I look at the eye surfaces, and get that deer looking at an oncoming train look in my eye, lol. OK, what one of these is that map going into, and what do I set that AoA/Omni shader to to make it like a real eye... [Goes and just click's a reflection preset somewhere]

Nice work by the way, your renders are looking good.

edited December 1969

Mmmm, based on that, do I really need Actual Eyes 4.......

CHEERS!

edited April 2015

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

I've often looked at figures, and wished there was a 'Ray-trace' reflection option to go with all the pseudo environment maps. It would add a considerable amount of realism to the figures in full 360 scenes.

And then I look at the eye surfaces, and get that deer looking at an oncoming train look in my eye, lol. OK, what one of these is that map going into, and what do I set that AoA/Omni shader to to make it like a real eye... [Goes and just click's a reflection preset somewhere]

Nice work by the way, your renders are looking good.

Thanks,

The eye work is down to Spyro and what he did here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6376/P75

Follow post #82 to the letter and you'll get what I did. Then save it as a MAT and add whatever iris textures take your fancy when you've loaded it. Job's a good un. I realised that I'd gone wrong when I did them before for Genesis 2 as I just assumed the eye reflection did the same as the cornea did in Genesis, it did I suppose, but, with both using the same settings you get the end result I did.

Oh, I nearly forgot, morphs play their part too:

Eye Cornea Bulge 0.40

Iris Size -0.10

Iris Correction 0.05

And if the figure is in front of lights you dial down the pupil dilation. Remember the scene in Jurassic Park when the girl shines the torch into the T Rex's eye!?

CHEERS!

edited April 2015

Works well with G2F as well.

This is Anna's eye.

CHEERS!

Anna_Eye.jpg
    577 x 750 - 359K