Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

@firewarden: I like Nalia and here eyes. I'm not a fan of big eyed chicas and her eye shape is nice

@nemesis10 I like your render of Brahm  and especially his choice of clothing and expression. Cute!

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

The map did the trick. It was the study.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

@Novica, I'll post a new render of Nala tomorrow. Will let it cook overnight. I think the pose I used messed up her mouth shape.

edited May 2017

Deleted. Double post.

Post edited by firewarden on
    edited May 2017

Nala by GypsyAngel... Fullbody, then headshot. In this picture, I have cleared the facial pose that changed the shape of Nala's mouth (an Authenticity expression). I also corrected it in my previous post. Click for a larger version.

Then a comparison - follow the link below: left - Nala loaded by herself, middle - Nala applied 100% to G2F, and right - Nala applied 100% to V7 and V7 dialed back to 40%. I was playing about with this as I'm still not clear on what difference it makes how you load a character and how to tell which method the PA intends. Can't upload the comparison picture, so posting it here: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/369056/

Nala reset fullbody.png
    800 x 3511 - 2M
    Nala reset.png
    1000 x 1285 - 1M
    Post edited by firewarden on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

She looks great Firewarden!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

I realize that I don't have Brahm, and think I will certainly pick him up when he goes on sale.

I realize that I don't have Brahm, and think I will certainly pick him up when he goes on sale.

I'm drooling over Mace

She looks great Firewarden!

Thanks! She was easy to work with. I love her skin!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,038
    edited May 2017

I did Atticus. I didn't like the skin because of the light colours on the arms so I moved a few sliders :) I also noticed a black 'tattoo' like mark on his forehead which I tracked down to the displacement setting on the hair. Setting it to zero made it disappear, it is still in these renders though :)

atticus-001.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 469K
    atticus-002.jpg
    600 x 900 - 216K
    atticus-006.jpg
    600 x 900 - 267K
    atticus-005.jpg
    600 x 900 - 139K
    atticus-003.jpg
    600 x 900 - 225K
    atticus-004.jpg
    600 x 900 - 130K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Thanks @firewarden and @fishtales  for showing those. Atticus certainly looks rugged! 

Okay, I started at the BACK of all those items on sale up to 75% off, and these were only things I don't have yet (If I unchecked Hide What I Own it would have taken me all day!) but some fun ones to note.

On these, think of applying the UberBase for Iray, then shaders. You've got the object all done for you, so it's just playtime! (And note the gallery images linked, if you have the Daz Deals add-on.)

For the animals listed, there may be newer, better rigged critters. For 60 cents, these were worth it to me to try. Great for filling backgrounds.

Skiff Runner
    Funeral of Hearts   Has detailed interior. For 60 cents
    Taj Mahal  
    Shroom Castle   The door opens and there's an entryway (no other interior)
    Steam Rider   Reshader and wow! Fun tantasy piece
    Flight of the Swan   Picture this with new shaders for the fabric. Will be lovely

Silverkey 3D Monkey  Great for a kid's toy
    Modualz Clump Flowers Vol 3
    M3 Racer Accessories    A piece of luggage for a travel scene, and a trophy for a shelf. 60 cents
    Gingerbread Man   For Christmas
    Aiko's Mascot Menagerie    If you have Aiko 3, these again make cute toys   Expansion 1 gives you 5 more critters
    Tarbosaurus DR    Cheap dinosaurs, usually more expensive at other stores. Same vendor.
    Pteranodon

Shark and Shark Poses   Reshader/Uberbase and you're good to go. I think a leather shader would work good too.
    Killer Whale 
    Mosquito    Because if you're being realistic, these jerks should always be in your scene after 7pm. (and some places, SOONER.) 
    Ant     For the same reason, only starting at 7am.
    Lily for Millennium Baby 3.0     I think the head is better than the Genesis baby, or whichever generation it is. For 60 cents, why not. Here's the baby.
    Bull   Looks like he has good movement, and for barn/country scenes, you need a bull of course!  And a cow
    A Bull's Life    Poses done for you
    The Three Little Pigs    Just because they're adorable, and great kid's toy and of course Big Bad Wolf for the same reason.
    Fairytale Collection   Ensorcelled    and  Cinderella Carriage (required)  Again, cute child's toy
    World Travels   Remember the Hercules show with Kevin Sorbo? Reshader this wagon and it reminds me of something you'd see rolling into a village. For 60 cents I'll eventually play with it.

Paradise Pavilion  Add a few D Formers to the curtains, UberBase and reshader.
    Toonimal Goldfish and Bowl   For toon renders but if far enough in the background, plop on a shelf as the real thing
    Grasslands Volume 5   Nice variety  (I already have the others. See the Gallery image with these, by Barbult) 
    RDNA Architecture Addons Vol 1 Plants N Pots
    RDNA Hummingbird
    SS Garden Gazebo   Interesting variety of roofs
    Bast   Great for statues!
    Temple of the Nile   .45  See what you can do with it. Good for backgrounds.
    Panthers    For dark renders or distant shots, would do fine. Price is right. Again, think shaders.
    Pure Romanz  LOVE this one. Love the bench swing in a pavilion!!! Look at everything included.
    Furry Friends Mouse  More expensive because the 30 head morphs/poses come with it.
    Millennium Dog Bundle   I give up waiting on a better dog, these have great materials for a variety of breeds. The price is right.
    The Greek Bath  Look at what you can do when you combine newer things with it. Gallery  It comes with a statue.

LB MilHorse Mane Pack If you have the Millennium Horse, might as well get the mane. I frankly like the necks much better on these older horses. Some of the new horse's neck is way too thick in some places (and Stetson was a stallion 9 years, and the new horse's neck resembles HIS more than a normal, typical horse. Morgans are stockier too!) and some the heads and necks don't seem proportionate to me. WHERE the neck enters the chest seems off on some of the renders I've seen, or how thick the neck is where the head attaches, but could be the angle. Just my opinion, but the poor Millennium Horse gets a bum rap and it has better features on the neck IMO. 

For the horse, these carriages also include HARNESSES so you can use them for other carriages I think. The curtains have morphs.

Feline Discovery Poses   for the Mil cat.
    Ena   If you have Victoria 3. No longer available, darn it.
    Spring of 76   A great bicycle!
    Millennium Big Cat   See this gallery image
    Eagle 2.0 (Upgrade. Has the eagle in this one)

Don't forget to use your PC+ codes, today is the last day!!! I almost forgot.

Where's the hummingbird in the last promo thumbnail?

I am pretty sure I now have everything I ever wanted plus dozens more from the back catalog lol. 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    Novica said:

Where's the hummingbird in the last promo thumbnail?

Maybe she had a nice slice of humming bird pie? devil

I am pretty sure I now have everything I ever wanted plus dozens more from the back catalog lol.

... but how long will that feeling last? wink

MelanieL said:

... but how long will that feeling last? wink

Welllll..... For the older content probably quite some time.  For the newer content, I'm wishlisting like mad lol!

I have a question on IBL's (image based lighting)  There are several products with IBL's in the shop on steep discount for Poser.  Does anyone know if they will work in Studio?  The lighting part works, as I tried the one I have but I am curious if the image it comes with will work as well or if I need to track it down and toss it in the environment tab

I have a question on IBL's (image based lighting)  There are several products with IBL's in the shop on steep discount for Poser.  Does anyone know if they will work in Studio?  The lighting part works, as I tried the one I have but I am curious if the image it comes with will work as well or if I need to track it down and toss it in the environment tab

which ones?

edited May 2017

This one   Its part of a 3 piece bundle that is on sale for .45.  It clearly states Poser, which is fine, I have Poser and plan to dig into that soon.  The lights themselves seem to work find in Studio, but I am not sure if the actual backgrounds will work.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited June 2017

right, as you said, which for the same price, you can get this one. I don't have it, unfortunately.

Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited June 2017

I've been sidetracked with SB3 and the render competition. I almost can't believe I managed to enter 11 times! Certainly the most "legal" fun I've had in a very long time. Anyway, I have an update for you guys on the "SB3 won't complete Makeup and Brows" issue. If you've been reading the commercial thread, you probably already know this, but if not... 1) It turns out the included base G3F converted to Iray isn't the only character that stumps the script. 2) I did some troubleshooting and determined the problem is a missing image in the Glossy Layered Weight parameter for both the Face and Lips material zones. SB3 puts a specular map in there, if you use the Skin Base. So my recommendation is to verify your character has an image in that parameter for Face and Lips, and if not, locate the specular map for that character and plug it in before running SB3.

Another potential problem identified in that thread is all the UVs must be set to Base Female. Apparently some characters have eyes using the Victoria 7 UVs, and I've tried adding nails after apply Lune Nails and nothing happened.

Okay... if it's not too late, I have a couple of older GypsyAngel renders:

Apollo in Iray (I converted him by hand, and used normal maps for the excellent FW Derek HD for Michael 6)

Apollo in Iray, by L'Adair

And here's one of Ragnar:

Ragnar, by L'Adair

ETA: I was poking around my old gallery images, and found this WIP image of Apollo in Iray close up. Thought you guys might like to see it.

WIP Apollo in Iray, by L'Adair

Post edited by L'Adair on
    Novica said:

right, as you said, which for the same price, you can get this one. I don't have it, unfortunately.

Yes that's the bundle it comes in.  Well, I will have to try and make time to try it out.  Right now, I'm having other issues lol.  My Gen2Females are all loading with pitch black eyes and my basic male hair for Gen2Males - refuses to take the materials applied to it.  Even though they are the materials for the basic hair.  And yes, I have it selected in both my scene menu and my surfaces menu.  Dragging and dropping the color on the hair also does not work.... Sigh.. I had really hoped to actually work on a render tonight.

Ooooh, those look good. And thanks for the update! 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Ooooh, those look good. And thanks for the update! 

Thank you. And you're welcome. laugh

Wow love the Ragnar render!  And I will have to remember that, I've been following the thread so hopefully I will remember if I have issues.

My Gen2Females are all loading with pitch black eyes and my basic male hair for Gen2Males - refuses to take the materials applied to it.  Even though they are the materials for the basic hair.  And yes, I have it selected in both my scene menu and my surfaces menu.  Dragging and dropping the color on the hair also does not work.... Sigh.. I had really hoped to actually work on a render tonight.

Ya know Hercules caused some problems with other characters, I'm wondering if you loaded something recently that may be interfering?

Novica said:

My Gen2Females are all loading with pitch black eyes and my basic male hair for Gen2Males - refuses to take the materials applied to it.  Even though they are the materials for the basic hair.  And yes, I have it selected in both my scene menu and my surfaces menu.  Dragging and dropping the color on the hair also does not work.... Sigh.. I had really hoped to actually work on a render tonight.

Ya know Hercules caused some problems with other characters, I'm wondering if you loaded something recently that may be interfering?

I must have but I can't find anything that looks off.  I shut down and restarted and it seems to have fixed the issue for now. althought it has happened frequently in the last couple of months.  Its only just the G2F gals.  I am going to see if its just affecting the characters that use the base uvs or if its all of them and then try and work my way backwards.  Also will have to check the currently used section to see if I can find anything there.  But not tonight, I have to work tomorrow.

I'm sorry, I had to laugh at this one by Barbult. (And the Iray Decal Kit by KindredArts is on sale BTW. I'm picking it up.) 

Rendered Jericho this time.

jericho-001.jpg
    600 x 900 - 209K
    jericho-002.jpg
    600 x 900 - 344K
    jericho-003.jpg
    600 x 900 - 215K
    jericho-004.jpg
    600 x 900 - 397K
    jericho-005.jpg
    600 x 900 - 321K

I thought Jericho looked a bit smooth and waxy so I was going to make a Normal map to get some bump on the skin. In the process I found all the maps in the folder that Iray Uber Base didn't load bump, dispalcement and specular maps  so had a quick (and nasty) mess about with them. I haven't spent much time on these so they aren't great.

jericho-007.jpg
    600 x 900 - 325K
    jericho-008.jpg
    600 x 900 - 140K
    jericho-009.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 412K
    jericho-010.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 404K
    Fishtales said:

I thought Jericho looked a bit smooth and waxy so I was going to make a Normal map to get some bump on the skin. In the process I found all the maps in the folder that Iray Uber Base didn't load bump, dispalcement and specular maps  so had a quick (and nasty) mess about with them. I haven't spent much time on these so they aren't great.

Sandy, I'm not technical so bear with me- does UberBase never load those? Or was this a unique kind of thing?

This discussion has been closed.