Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    Novica said:

This is Alexander from Rendo. Click to enlarge. (Dorian Hair)

Very nice! Seems to have a different look than many G3 males.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    Novica said:

Llynara said:

Eek, I am way behind. Been a heck of a week. Is it too late to do the top picks for April? I'll get right on it! 

PS Love that speeding car! 

No, please do. If we don't get more participation, I'll be cancelling it.

Aye, aye, Captain! Now I just have to remember what the heck I rendered last month. Personal events in April blew me a away for a while. Finding my feet! 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Alexander looks good. Very realistic and nice price

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    Novica said:

LOL. A circle diameter 1.25 x the longest dimension with rotors spinning the minimum "no obstacles" clearance required for any helipad by code (don't ask how I know!). I think that helo would even slice off the radomes! And of course the rotor wash would ruin everyone's G&T (not to mention the flying debris)!

Dare I mention safety nets?

@tangoalpha   Did I fail to mention how absolutely scary you are, knowing teeny, tiny, minute details like that? (Which is why I buy your products btw.)  wink

It's really not that scary - I worked at an airfield FBO at one time! yes Now, me flying the plane . . . that is scary! surprise

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    jakiblue said:

does anyone have any experience iwth the hangar deck which is also in fastgrab?

https://www.daz3d.com/s2-hanger-deck

I'm a sucker for big industrial/sci fi looking environments like that, but curious what thoughts are. Is it so big it'll bring your computer to its knees? Can walls be made invisible to get camera and/or lights in?

It's got a Poser version, so it should be good in Carrara too. yes

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Saw this as I was trying to catch up on emails. The child unit graduated from university today, but life won't slow down until Monday with all the extra family in town, I think. I might try my hand at, though, if I can get some time in. ... as long as folks promised not to laugh madly and fall out of their chairs. ;) 

Novica said:

Llynara said:

Eek, I am way behind. Been a heck of a week. Is it too late to do the top picks for April? I'll get right on it! 

PS Love that speeding car! 

No, please do. If we don't get more participation, I'll be cancelling it.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited May 2017

The lovely GypsyAngel Shaylyn, from Rendo. I'm trying to do these while they're on sale so you can see them. 

TIP:  Costume Jewelry Shaders For Iray is a wonderful shader for clothes. Try tiling of 15 - 25 for the smaller patterns. Shown on this outfit. I wanted to find something that would seem to lead into the ink on her skin.

Blooming Teen Josie for the poses.

For the smile- I love the fluidity!  Forest Fey Mika 7: Amused 50, Delighted 55.4, Starry Eyed 44.6. Then Smile Delight 10 at 35.1%

shaylynRENDO.jpg
    730 x 1000 - 549K
    shaylynRENDO2.png
    504 x 663 - 514K
    Post edited by Novica on

I picked up a few in that sale too. Will try to render and post once the kiddos settle down. It's finally nice here.

edited May 2017

@llynara   Thanks! I've actually decided to do a tutorial, and it's rather fun because I'm deliberately making mistakes to show what happens if you don't do it a certain way, or if you make mistakes. Most tutorials focus on what to do, not what to do if something goes wrong. So it's taking a bit longer to do it with flaws and screenshots. (It's using Geometry Editor, material zones. For those who haven't tried it, and a few tips.) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

A tutorial would be very much appreciated @Novica.  I love the idea of showing errors that can happen along the way rather than just showing what happens if you do everything just right - something that probably rarely happens irl.

A tutorial would be very much appreciated @Novica.  I love the idea of showing errors that can happen along the way rather than just showing what happens if you do everything just right - something that probably rarely happens irl.

It never happens to me, I always make mistakes-  until I am doing a tutorial that is supposed to show errors and then everything goes right LOL. It's taken 25 screenshots (all day) so what I think I'll do is create another thread and then link it as a Reference in the front of this thread, so people won't have to surf through to find it when they get ready to do this. We're on page 84 and it will be buried. Geez, moving on to thread 9 at a pretty rapid pace! I'll let you guys know when I have it done. Then people can ask questions about more complicated material zoning/options and it will all be in one place.

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

It works, I saw the ink as straps of the dress until I read your description. 

edited May 2017

I'm looking through my Rendo characters. I have quite a few. Not all are in the sale. The newest ones that I picked up from the sale are: 

• Tempesta3D- Zoe for G3F and Robert for G3M (I have a few others as well, including two older character. Murray and Edna)
    • 3DArena- Siobhan (I also have Deja, who's in the sale)
    • Valkyrie-Lia for G3F/V7 (I also have Mona and Suzie)
    • Anagord- Rania for G3F/V7 (I also have: Anna, Asha, Mel, Corrina and Candice)

I have a LOT of Maddelirium and Anagord characters because they are so unique. I also adore Redz's characters. I have some Mousso too, but I didn't see any of those in the sale. Redz' characters are fabulous. Every time I bring one home, I end up with more book ideas. Both Raj and Shadowborne (below) have inspired new stories. In Shadowborne's case, an entire series. Highly recommended characters and PA!

Here's a few previous renders, I'll get some from the list above up asap. (Click for much bigger pics)

Anagord's Anna for G3F/V7, very beautiful and versatile. There's a sadness about her features that works well in some renders. 

And here: 

Redz' Raj for G3M, one of my favorite male characters. He and Anna will be on a future book cover. Here they are on my Patreon banner: 

Here he is by himself: 

Shadowborne, also by Redz. He's absolutely amazing and definitely a favorite: 

Anna4.png
    1500 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Llynara on
    edited May 2017

Here's Maddelirium's Illumi for G3F. She's got some really neat emissive tattoos, makeup, nails and eyes. Very cool character!

edited May 2017

Here's Elijah for G3M by Gypsy Angel. This one is sold by RPublishing and is in the sale. 

Note: I think this is one of my first renders in Iray, about a year ago. I didn't have a clue on lighting back then.

Elijah Stone Murphy.jpg
    919 x 882 - 73K

Quite lovely! I saw Illumi in your thread and thought she was quite delightful. Thanks for showing these! I'm working on the materials tutorial, I've got it started here in Art Studio but it's slow going typing it all up and adding to the graphics. 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited May 2017

I hope I'm not too late, but here are my Top 3 for April:

Older Man of the Month: Dale for G3M by Saiyaness - I love his less-than-model-perfect skin and world-weary air. Example 1 is a slightly silly render when I was trying out both Dale and the Dragon Horde Jewelry I picked up the same day. Example 2 is more of an action pic from a PC Inspiration contest, wearing that week's PC+ items (Knight of Valor armour with Rodrigo texture).

Younger Man of the Month: Brett for Dante 7 by Fred Winkler - I almost didn't pick up the Dante Pro Bundle because nothing jumped out at me as "must have", but it was at a good price and I try to support male releases, so I got it. Now I've tried Brett I'm pleased I did and he's become a bit of a favourite - I even like his tattoos (and I'm not really a tatt person). Here he is in Example 1 (on the left with Dante on the right) in gladiatorial mode and here he is in Example 2 in more whimsical mood as a zebra-taur.

Landscape Set of the Month - has to be TangoAlpha's latest Country Ford set (although there was hot competition from Stonemason's Willow Creek). I love that it comes with 3Delight support (and Carrara for that matter) as well as great Iray materials. Three Examples here.

I'd like to have picked the MICK Bundle too, but although I've been playing with it a lot I failed to post any pics, maybe a May entry...

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

I'm still bummed thatI missed FaceGen Pro for $55. 

But this is one of the coolest pieces of content I've seen in a while. 

http://https://www.daz3d.com/anti-gravity-lift

I don't do a lot of Sci-Fi renders - but I want this thing... heck... in real life. 

Got The Material Zone tutorial done- if you want to learn how to do material zones, a few tips, it's ready. I am currently applying some shaders to an outfit and will post those too, as I need to explore some of my shaders. Feel free to show your renders that include use of shaders.

So I have a few questions, and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I'm sure you folks have tried this.

I did a couple of tests, using 3DL shaders rendered in Iray, and then applying Uber Base and the 3DL shaders (rendered in Iray) and I didn't see a difference.  Uber Base converts the shader to Iray, so I'm wondering if you've seen differences in the 3DL shaders when Uber Based- or does Uber Base even affect them?

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Iray uber base doesn't affect 3DL shaders. In Surfaces tab, if it says Shader: Daz Studio Default (i.e., 3DL), Iray engine is smart enough to convert them on-the-fly when you do a render.

What Iray Uber Base *does* do is give you access to all of the iray properties so you can manipulate them as desired.

Generally I'll use products that specialize in converting to iray (cloth, metal, plastic, hair, etc), often while retaining the original textures since these types of products will both update to Iray Uber and alter the properties in a way that makes them more realistic in Iray.

edited May 2017

I picked up DestinysGarden's Iray Bling It! Shaders yesterday and was trying them out today. This is Olympia 7 in the Midnight Club for G3F outfit, completely retextured with those shaders. Midnight Club I think has been reviewed in here before - like all Fisty & Darc clothing it has plenty of material zones so is easy to retexture. The garments trims and shoe soles/heels are using metallic solid colour settings, the main fabric of the top is one of the sequin settings and the pants and shoes some of the beaded ones.

ETA: The background is a photoshop creation uisng Ron's Flourishes brushes by the way.

DG-Bling-1.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 323K

Nice tutorial on Geometry Editor, Novica - I was using that tool only yesterday to make a separate ground area on a larger terrain so that I could add a more detailed shader preset in the foreground. I don't often use it on clothing but your tutorial has some very useful tips for that.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Very cool MelanieL. I like that.

I have been thinking of uninstalling all my 3DL shaders. I don't want to but I'm running out of space on my hard drive and I seldom use the 3dl ones any more.

edited May 2017

Thanks, Serene. Well, some of those 3DL shaders can convert to Iray, but I suppose the ones with many texture files do tend to take up a lot of space, so if you only ever use Iray then why not.

I'm still using 3Delight quite a bit - yesterday I was using some of the David Brinnen/Forbidden Whispers world space ground shaders - I wish someone would do some of those for Iray too. I also used Draagonstorm / Marieah's old Rag-Erator and Grime-Inizer shaders in the same render - here it is in fact.

ETA: Oh and the landscape is from Alessandro AM's Ultimo Paradiso with Seaside Shore Shaders used in the foreground to add a bit more detail to the sand. I picked up those jeans just yesterday in the Genesis sale - they are Sickleyield's Dirty Denim autofitted to G3F. I can't remember which top I used but it is Reg-Erator'd and the hair is Neftis Torianna, also in the Genesis sale. It's just parented to G3F's head so the morphs would stay intact.

Castaway.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 567K
    MelanieL said:

Nice tutorial on Geometry Editor, Novica - I was using that tool only yesterday to make a separate ground area on a larger terrain so that I could add a more detailed shader preset in the foreground. I don't often use it on clothing but your tutorial has some very useful tips for that.

And that is a neat reminder to use it for scenery. Your Bling It! outfit looks quite nice. Love Ron's brushes background too, elegant and classy.

edited May 2017

Siobhan for G3F

Here's 3DArena's Siobhan for G3F over at Rendo. The character sale lasts through the end of today and she's in it. With her gorgeous coloring, delicate features and freckles, Siobhan is built for closeups. Love her skin! (Click for bigger pics, then zoom in for details.)

Siobhan2.png
    1500 x 1433 - 3M
    Siobhan1.png
    1500 x 1433 - 1M
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    RGcincy said:

I  picked up the new Animation Four Wheeler Template. I made a small GIF to show one of the cars speeding through the neighborhood (Dreamland's River Front and City Blocks). Easy to use if you have one of the cars the animations were made for.

All you need now is a gull wing delorean at the stop sign.  Great animation,  the speed and the skid seem right on. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Has anyone used the iray essentials on the centaur yet?  I can't get the materials to load, I keep getting error messages that files could not be found.  The tail colors load but the main coat colors do not. I have tried applying it to all parts of the centaur, the shell, the coat, the whole character etc.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled and am still getting the same error.

2017-05-08 13:47:50.393 Loaded file: IDG Body - Dapple Grey.duf
    2017-05-08 13:47:50.514 Could not resolve : "/Runtime/textures/DAZ/Animals/Horse 2/Horse2_WhiteBodyMH2.jpg"
    2017-05-08 13:47:50.514 Could not resolve : "/Runtime/textures/DAZ/Animals/Horse 2/Horse2_WhiteHeadMH2.jpg"
    2017-05-08 13:47:50.514 Could not resolve : "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Animals/Horse 2/Horse2_DappleGreyHeadMH2.jpg"
    2017-05-08 13:47:50.514 Could not resolve : "/Runtime/textures/DAZ/Animals/Horse 2/Horse2_SilverGreyBodyMH2.jpg"
    2017-05-08 13:47:50.514 Could not resolve : "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Animals/Horse 2/Horse2_DappleGreyBodyMH2.jpg"

Llynara said:

Siobhan for G3F

Here's 3DArena's Siobhan for G3F over at Rendo. The character sale lasts through the end of today and she's in it. With her gorgeous coloring, delicate features and freckles, Siobhan is built for closeups. Love her skin! (Click for bigger pics, then zoom in for details.)

Quick question- does she come with a skin mat that doesn't have the blush? I love the freckles, but want a fresh-face look, no makeup.

This discussion has been closed.