The Doctor Appreciation thread

Comments

• blutobluto Posts: 827

i think a simplified version of it might indeed make a quite interesting tardis however i agree with mr redfern all the greebling would not be friendly to the set

• KnightStalker000KnightStalker000 Posts: 58
    edited January 2016

Yes I agree that all of the greeblies would kill the poly count, and yes, it was those central consoles and the basic room layout itself that screamed "potential TARDIS design". A toned down version of the set with few to no greeblies would work for a custom TARDIS interior for people to decorate as they please, though, given that the set does feature passageways branching off (like they showed in the older Classic Who episodes, leading to the other TARDIS rooms).

As for your confusion about the room being the Death Star "office", I initially had the same feeling back then, and wondered why it wasn't in the film. Given that I had the pre-recorded VHS tape sold in stores back then (IIRC it was one of the very first cassettes we had for our "new" VCR back then) and watched it many times over the years, I eventually realized my mistake, which is a shame, the set would've fit in perfectly in the movie, if not on the Death Star, then at the Yavin IV base. Thanks to Facebook and TubeOffline, I now have that "Making of" special on my 2TB portable HD.

Post edited by KnightStalker000 on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    edited January 2016

What's really funny is a particular collection of backlit panels.  I've attached a screen capture with the area of interest bordered in green.  Those panels would eventually appear as part of Dr. McCoy's sickbay in "Star Trek: the Motion Picture".  The usual claim is that everything for the first Trek movie was built from scratch except for a few isolated components constructed for the ill fated "Phase II" series (not to be confused with the series of fan films with the same name).  But obviously, here's that illuminated panel existing in 1977, some time before Paramount considered there might be some money to be made from Trek.

Sincerely,

Bill

jpg
    jpg
    SW-Trek-Panels-J-1.jpg
    SW-Trek-Panels-J-1.jpg
    738 x 540 - 98K
    Post edited by Redfern on
  • Just a wild thought, but what if that particular panel was originally intended for the sickbay set of the aborted "Phase II" series, and the set designer for this "Making of" came across it and thought, "They're never gonna use this now, but I think I can do something with it". Probably not what really happened, but it'd be a funny coincedence if it was.

Timing is a bit off.  Paramount didn't even consider funding a Star Trek project until they witnessed the insane financial success of Star Wars.  This special aired in September 1977.  While the opening monolog by Willian Conrad notes the festivities at the Chinese Theatre was August, the control room sequences with Daniels and the radio R2 prop were likely filmed earlier, probably July.  Of course, that meant that a set had to be constructed.  So let's guess-timate the beginning of the month.  From what I've read, Paramount did not "greelight" the "Phase II" project until late 77, November or December, or possibly the first of 1978.

Nah, I feel certain that set piece existed before "Phase II" was even considered (and later scuttled in favor of a theatrical movie release).

Sincerely,

Bill

• Hey folks, Sorry to ask but I am new to Daz3D andonly just found this thread today, Where can I find the morphs for Capaldi and Clara?

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

Hey folks, Sorry to ask but I am new to Daz3D andonly just found this thread today, Where can I find the morphs for Capaldi and Clara?

I have them if you want them Phoenix I sent you a PM in response to the one you sent me earlier. Unfortunately I won't be able to have anymore made as the person I was working with no longer does them. So any of the ones I have you are all welcome to them. 

• Cheers Shadowhawk 1, Theones you had look amazing!

• I am guessing the Daz Inbox is runnning a bit on the slow side, LOL! Your message has not come through... :)

No worries, If you have a DA accont drop me a note at ShadowhawkOne and I will send them to you, or if it is easier I will just post the zip files there as freebies and post the links here after it is done. I wish I could have gotten more done, but things just didn't work out for it. 

• Going to be really sad here... Whats DA? LOL! I have Outlook, Dropbox, Yahoo, Gmail (Too many freakin accounts to be honest!!!)

Going to be really sad here... Whats DA? LOL! I have Outlook, Dropbox, Yahoo, Gmail (Too many freakin accounts to be honest!!!)

No worries I am talking about DiviantArt.com. An artist site that artist post too.

• LOL! I figured that out about 10 mins after I posted!!! Doh! LOL!

I have an accoun there too! :) Keep meaning to upload my Tattoo designs there but got to get my scanner working... 

• Note dropped! :)

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613

Nice Clara morph :-)

Here's the latest on my morph of the Matt Smith Doctor… or Eleventh Doctor, if one subscribes to the practice of not counting the John Hurt Doctor ("The War Doctor")… which I am happy to do, and which does seem to be the orthodoxy or canon dictated by the writing in the show itself…

…anyway, I've applied a basic texture and refined the sculpt some more. Really want to get more detail in still. But I think the best way to do that is probably to use a displacement map, alongside the diffuse texture I'm now working on.

Hey MonkeyCloud, just wondering how the Matt Smith morph was going?  I love your work so far!

• I'd like to know how the Matt Smith morph has been going. I've been wondering when his likeness would become available and for which figure (M4, Genesis, G2M, etc.). I know there's likenesses of Tom Baker and David Tennant's Doctors out there, but we do need other Doctors to round out our collections.

• If you've got Tom Baker, David Tennant, Romana, and Peter Capaldi, how many more Time Lords (or ladies) do you need?

Julie Andrews, as the Gallifreyan nanny called Poppins?  wink

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613

Ah, but Matt Smith is my favourite doctor, so you can't blame a Whovian for hoping ;)

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited August 2016

If you've got Tom Baker, David Tennant, Romana, and Peter Capaldi, how many more Time Lords (or ladies) do you need?

Nine plus John Hurt.  Plus a few "The Master"s, but asking for more beyond that would seem selfish. surprise

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325

If you've got Tom Baker, David Tennant, Romana, and Peter Capaldi, how many more Time Lords (or ladies) do you need?

Though I first started watching Dr. Who with Tom Baker as the doctor, I stopped when he did, and didn't pick the series up again until Eccleston.  He's still the Doctor I wish I'd gotten more of.  Except for Capaldi,  give me Eccleston and that would be all I needed.  That and Riversong.  wink

edited September 2016

Boardman's police box mesh from ShareCG accurately based upon the dimensions of a 1929 McKenzie/Trench Mark II unit, that is, the "real thing".

The blurred branch in the extreme foreground was a happy accident giving a sense of "depth of field" and focusing attention upon the box.

Sincerely,

Bill

Tardis-n-Forest-J-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 68K
    Post edited by Redfern on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,684

Is the police box at daz a good representation of one?

I don't own it so I can't offer a centimeter by centimeter examination, but from the promotional renders, it looks pretty close to the McKenzie/Trench Mark II depot.  The door even swings outward as did the real life mini station (wheras in the BBC sciience fantasy series, the door swung inwards).  The windows are not frosted (at least in those promo shots), but I assume they can be altered with the materials tools D|S has.

Sincerely,

Bill

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Work in process, an homage to a rarely revisited in renders era.

Mytery_At_HQ_V1.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 815K

Ah, the Barry Letts "U.N.I.T." era, complete with the console removed from the TARDIS control room.  That "drone" model looks like it could serve as a partially disassembled "cybermat".  AlDemps also likes the Pertwee years because he has composed several renders involving the Brigadier, Jo Grant, Delgado's Master, etc. using the original "HiroToon" figure for his male characters.

Sincerely,

Bill

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Actually, I was thinking cybermat but don't have a model so I put that in as a placeholder.  I recall AlDemps' renders as well, great stuff in his toon style. For this one, first step was trying to kitbash the three main uniform types (soldier a'la Benton, officer a'la Yates, and brigadier's field uniform) as step one to a more detailed render to include the Doctor.  I think they came out okay but the soldier's jacket didn't autofit very well, truth be told. I had to make the Brigadier's commando sweater from scratch and now see that he had no name tag on screen so that's not really accurate but I can't easily get rid of it without doing some surgery in the modeler. But overall, I'm pleased with how close I was able to get them.  

Thanks for your comment, Bill. Don't hear from you much anymore, good to see you still pop in every once in a while!

I still check the thread every so often given the "e-bot" notifications have never been the most reliable, but I also don't want to "spam" the thread.

Actually, I've been focusing more upon some of my "original characters" rather than various trademark entertainment properties.  But I'm waiting for DAZ to finally display the "Furries for Melody" and related add-ons in its store as my "lead" character is based upon those packages.  I check nearly every day to see if they have finally been added.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited October 2016
    mjc1016 said:

Rememmber when mjc1016 alerted us to a Capaldi era console room  in Blender format modeled by Brian Rocz?  Well, this afternoon I finally loaded that file into Blender.  Since Rocz stated he had to render the scene in stages, my intention was to merely export the console and the time rotor so it would not "choke" Poser.  I thought I had merely selected those elements, but when I loaded the .oBJ file into UV Mapper , I discovered Blender had converted and exported ALL of the geometry!  Not only that, the mesh looked pretty "clean", no observable collections of back-facing polygons.

Could Poser handle what Blender itself could not?  I imported the .OBJ and Poser did NOT die screaming.  Yeah, it was a bit sluggish, but considering the model was 1.171 million polygons, well, that is to be expected.  I spent some time turning "glass" materials transparent and any glowing regions ambient white.  (I had hoped the imported file would have recognized I placed the textures in the same folder, but it looks like I will have to manually apply them.)  I'm sure the render time will greatly increase when they are properly assigned, but this utextured "clay" render took less than 30 seconds, I swear!

So, it looks like Poser (and I assume D*Z Studio) can handle the model.  If anyone wants the original Blender file, it now appears one must e-mail Brian Rocz for a copy as he has removed a link for a general download.  (Hey, at least he's still willing to share it; he's just more closely monitoring its distribution.)

Sincerely,

Bill

Capaldi-Console-J-1.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 114K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited October 2016

And here's the textured version.

To my pleasant surprise, it still rendered within 30 seconds!

Sincerely,

Bill

Capaldi-Console-J-2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 118K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Nice!