The Doctor Appreciation thread

Comments

• adriantullbergadriantullberg Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Any vehicles that would be good for Bessie? http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Bessie

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
    edited December 1969

So behind in watching doctor who but I can catch up. need to finish listen first.

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited March 2015

I've been trying out the new DS 4.8 beta, using lray instead of 3Delight on my Dalek. the shadows are really good, and it gives a very photorealistic look, but it's not handling metalics very well. maybe i need to teak the settings.

lray_dalek.jpg
    336 x 532 - 141K
    Post edited by nightkin on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    I've been trying out the new DS 4.7 beta, using lray instead of 3Delight on my Dalek. the shadows are really good, and it gives a very photorealistic look, but it's not handling metalics very well. maybe i need to teak the settings.

Try using or tweaking some of the metal shaders in Shader presets>Iray Uber Base.

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

is there a tutorial for lray? several scenes have come out black, and i've noticed they are ones where i've used a preset that contains a skydome. Also, lray renders tend to be darker than other renders - i usually have to add an extra distant light and turn the brilliance very high. lray takes a lot longer than 3Delight, but is worth the wait because the renders are definitely superior - very much like Reality, but easier to use.

anyone else been playing with this new option?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2015

Unless you turn the skydome into a light source, it is just acting like a huge umbrella and blocking the light.

Think of it this way...in 3Delight, you had an infinite void surrounding your scene, in Iray and most other PBR renderers, you have an infinite sky surrounding your scene. The void had nothing in the way of light, while the sky IS a light source. That's not exactly what's going on, but should help to think of what to do in terms of lighting.

You have control of the Iray environment through the Environment tab and other locations....haven't played with 4.8 enough to know exactly where everything is (the only machine I can run it on happens to be the HTPC...which doesn't get much free time to allow playing)

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

So has any later day Doctor stuff turned up? 11th's Sonic? 11 or 12's Tardis? That kind of stuff?

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Very much non-canonical, but Doctor Who inspired. I did this for RRRR.

"The Who Files?"

The Doctor is back...this time, as a woman! She has a new vehicle, a new sonic welding torch screwdriver, and she's chosen a new companion: FBI Agent Fox Mulder! Their mission: to protect Earth from the invasion of the sinister BWC (Bald Wizard Creatures). Don't miss this exciting sci-fi crossover, [not] coming soon to a screen near you!

The Doctor: You were right, Mulder...the truth is out there.
    Mulder: I think I'd rather stay in here, if it's all the same to you!

Credits:
    Dalek by Sean "Dodger" Cannon, available at ShareCG
    Starring Gia 6 as The Doctor
    Mulder character by me (custom morph dial, Elite Jeremy skin, he's wearing Basic Hair in case it's not apparent how I used that)
    Bald Wizard Creature created using RawArt's The Slim Man, plus HFS morphs by Dariofish (Renderosity)
    Lighting based, in part, on BWC Skies 2

whofiles1c.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 758K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    So has any later day Doctor stuff turned up? 11th's Sonic? 11 or 12's Tardis? That kind of stuff?
    Check the link in my signature. Canon and non-canon stuff.
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    Check the link in my signature. Canon and non-canon stuff.

Sadly, I didn''t see anything beyond 10 on that list, which is why I asked. Thanks though:)

edited December 1969

bluto said:
    found that one on rob seminoffs site ,its one of the freebies he has on his page

Is this a publicly available site?

edited December 1969

Someone want a Tardis?

http://rocz3d.com/2015/02/11/tardis-control-room-blender-model-download/

I've got this WIP in the works...

sonics.png
    1024 x 819 - 682K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

MJC, thank you very, VERY much for the Capaldi interior!

Guess I'd better download, install and learn Blender so I can actually use it or at least export the model in a format Poser can use.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    MJC, thank you very, VERY much for the Capaldi interior!

Guess I'd better download, install and learn Blender so I can actually use it or at least export the model in a format Poser can use.

Sincerely,

Bill

I'm sending the creator of it an email about doing an obj conversion...it does export nicely. I haven't played with it much...

edited December 1969

Oh... I thought you had modeled it. But you were alerting us to its existence. Understood.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

I haven't had enough time to do THAT...the sonics are taking longer than I wanted. I've still got some materials/tweaks to go before they are ready for release.

• blutobluto Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

ive been working on some speculituve future dalek designs

Grinch thanks for the heads up on the console room , keep us informed on the obj / poser conversion

anyone know if there is a early mat smith console room out there anywhere?

Render_1.jpg
    900 x 756 - 516K
    edited December 1969

when are the new who episodes expected? or has there been a new episode since the Christmas special?

edited March 2015

My daughters keep asking the same question...and I keep finding the same answer...IDK... :down::down:

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

I'd expect them in the autumn (aka fall).

edited December 1969

I'd expect them in the autumn (aka fall).

okay thank you! plenty of time to catch up!

stupid question what is the current actor's name?

edited December 1969

Peter Capaldi

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Peter Capaldi

i knew it was Peter something but could not remember the last name except that it sounded Italian. thank you very much for the quick answer.

edited December 1969

Thank you very much. I could not figure out how to search for his name on my phone. The keyboard is so small because the phone is so small. Now I am home and on my computer.

• edited December 1969

Hey, bb3! Whatcha been working on lately? Well, aside from the Tom Baker morph (which is like pulling teeth!), I've been working on this...

Keep in mind this is still a WORK IN PROGRESS.

leelawip02.jpg
    812 x 748 - 20K
    leelawip01.jpg
    812 x 748 - 23K
    edited December 1969

Oh, that is just too &*%^ing cool!

A screen accurate Leela of the Sevateem! Shah-weet!!

Sincerely,

BIll

• edited December 1969

There are different levels of difficulty in trying to get a good likeness of an actor for M4/V4. Lis Sladen was tough. Mary Tamm wasn't as tough. Tom Baker is a nightmare. But, Louise Jameson was downright easy. Finding reference photos was the hardest part. And finding the right hair (ultimately, I used Ultimate Hair for V3 with magnets).

Just need to work on the textures.

Should I release the costume separately? Or package it with the morph? Either way, both will be freebies.

• LunaseasLunaseas Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

I did this awhile ago. V4 with a Billie Piper morph.

rosewho.jpg
    720 x 576 - 177K
    edited December 1969

I've been tweaking a prototype .CR2 developed by the Who3D team several years ago, a "Tenth Planet" Mondasian Cyberman. Honestly, I forget how many years, but it was probably during the Poser 4 era. I think 'Nod" (a member here and at Who3D) made this, but I'm not sure. It might have been Cliff Bowman, the founder of that group. The chest box came from another source (where, I flat out forget). I experimented with a procedural material a couple of years ago, But last weekend, I replaced the existing low polygon hands with the hand figures that come with Poser. I gave them a custom multi-node based material creating distended veins and wrinkled skin. Finally, I "hid" the existing "rings" that distorted with joint bends and "parented" cylinder props that maintain their rigid shape.

Sincerely,

Bill

TP-Cyberman-J-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 101K
  • drucdruc Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

I don't know if there are any others from the land down under here, but the ABC has just started replaying Dr Who from the first episode of the new series "Rose" Monday to Friday at 7:30 pm. First four episodes have been screened. Fifth tonight. They have done this before as a lead up to the new season. As an indication of when the new season will start, going on past performance, divide the total number of episodes, including Christmas specials, by 5 and that is how many weeks to the start of the next season.