The Doctor Appreciation thread

Comments

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    edited June 2017

Rendered back in 2013 and based upon upon an older scene file, I believe this image well suits the events in yesterday's broadcast.

Sincerely,

Bill

Peladon-Meeting-J-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 179K
    Post edited by Redfern on
    edited June 2017

Well, it looks like last episode "World Enough and Time" (2017/06/24) aptly demonstrated the original Mondasian Cybermen (from their debut story "The Tenth Planet") can still be d*mn creepy!  One can easily believe there resides a buitchered person under all that gear whereas most later designs give the impression of being totally robotic without having any organic components.

I've long wondered if later production teams might have been more accepting of the Mondasian concept if the featureless "ski mask" had been swqapped for gauze bandages, suggesting something akin to a technologically animated mummy.  So I used the conforming bandages by Evil Innocense along with the cap, lamp and pipes modeled by (I believe) Nod.  For the eyepieces, I stripped down the geometry of Traveler's "Technophilia implants" and I modeled my own "mouth slot" that can be smoothed (as presented here) or left sharp edged,  Lights positioned low and angled upwards also helps set the mood.

Sincerely,

Bill

M4-Mondasian-J-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 50K
  • MGHSFAN2kMGHSFAN2k Posts: 125

Here's an Sarah Jane Test Render one - This one is based on her look from "Invasion of the Dinosaurs"

I'm doing a separate thread for her tests (face morphs, hair, clothing, etc...)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/178461/sarah-jane-smith-tests

Iotd1.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 633K
    edited June 2017

That looks very close to her appearance when she co-starred with Jon Pertwee.  Well done!

You gonna' depict her in the (in)famous "Andy-Pandy" candy striped overalls? wink

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern said:

That looks very close to her appearance when she co-starred with Jon Pertwee.  Well done!

You gonna' depict her in the (in)famous "Andy-Pandy" candy striped overalls? wink

Sincerely,

Bill

If I can find the right items for it.... maybe. (Not a good fan of that outfit)... If you have anything you want me to do with her in that look, let me know!

I was kinda' joking.  I know a fair number of fans are NOT enamoured with that ensemble.  It's remembered primarily because that's what she wore when she and the Doctor finally parted ways.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited June 2017

Changed the her and make her based on her first apperance "The Time Warrior"

timewarrior1.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 632K
    Post edited by MGHSFAN2k on
    edited July 2017

Recreating, OK, maybe interpreting a famous sequence from "The Tenth Planet" the serial that introduced Kit Pedler's Cybermen. 

The mesh is a custom Poser rigged figure for a "restoration" team called Who3D.  The group, originally lead by one of the merchants here, Cliff Bowman, had the goal of recreating "lost footage" and episodes of Doctor Who.  I was a member of the group's forum (not the restoration team itself) and I was fortunate enough to download the "work in progress" figure.  I can not remember if it was Cliff Bowman, Nod, or another member who modeled and rigged the figure.  (If any of them read this post, hopefully they can fill in this memory gap.) I say "work in progress" as it did not include the chest mounted life support box or the hip mounted "gun".  Those elements I downloaded from the personal site of another Who3D member, Adam Bullock.  He modeled several items in Anim8or format, (a free 3D modeling tool).  I converted them to .OBJ format which I could then import into Poser.  This past week, I tweaked his pladrons and chest box in Wings3D, refining them a bit.   I swapped the included hands (seemingly based upon one of the very old Poser 2 figures) for the far more realistic "stand alone" hands in Poser Pro 2014, and experimented like crazy in the Material Room to mimic the clear plastic outer raincoat layer.  Finally, I positioned and posed three copies within AntFarm's "Tyco Station" environment which is meant to depict snow.

Sincerely,

Bill

TP-Cybermen-Trio-J-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 108K
  • TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    Redfern said:

The notion was that without the ability to experience emotion, the Cybermen no longer understood how to "inflect" their words.  It was as though they simply played back snippets or random audio recordings, words spoken from different sources.  It was certainly a unique approach compared to the usual practice with dialogue spoken in monotone with a bit of reverb or some other electronic distortion, a cliched technique given to the Cybermen's later appearances.

Note also the first Cybermen simply dropped open their jaws, not moving their lips as we heard their words.  It was as though an electronic speaker had been surgically inserted and their mouths served no more purpose than as amplifying chambers.  The two elements together triggered a really disturbing sense of the "uncanny valley", which is what the production wanted.

Sincerely,

Bill

I always thought it was like a computer scanning the functions of a long dead larnyx to make simple, clipped words.  I also picture that, under there masks, it's a bare skull with circuits, like the scene in Robocop 2 where we see the malfunctioning Robocop 2 protoypes, and the second one in particular, when he/she removes his/her helmet.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

I also picture that, under there masks, it's a bare skull with circuits, like the scene in Robocop 2 where we see the malfunctioning Robocop 2 protoypes, and the second one in particular, when he/she removes his/her helmet.

If the infinitely creepy scene in The Pandorica Opens is still canon, where a disembodied cyber-head pops open to eject its previous occupant (definitely well past his best-by date) in Amy's lap — I'd say yes.

• CricketCricket Posts: 434
    edited July 2017
    Post edited by Cricket on
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775

Still not ginger, though.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Good on the producers who went with Jodie Whittaker. She looks better in a scarf than John Pertwee.

edited July 2017

Uh, Jon Pertwee was not noted for wearing scarves.  His "thing" was dinner jackets and frilled shirts.

Is it possible you're getting Pertwee confused with Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor, circa 1974 - 1980?

Sincerely,

Bill

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

Now I am mainly curious as to how they will costume her and what her personality will be like.  Double standards being what they are, she (and the writers) probably should avoid being tempermental or sarcastic, since when women act like that they are called 'bitchy'.  I expect something closer to River Song, but will probably be -- I hope pleasantly -- surprised.

Probably her personality will evolve over the course of several stories as they experiment what seems to work and what doesn't.

Her wardrobe?  Rassilon only knows.  I've yet to find the original source quote, but supposedly, what we see Whittaker wearing in the teaser is NOT the official ensemble.  the Christmas special will likely show her in Capaldi's outfit as she regenerates, leaving us hanging.  Her series won't debut for nearly a solid year if not a tad longer (meaning Fall of 2018).  That would suggest recording won't start until early next year.  So, I don't expect any "reveals" until early next year when promotion for the new series (season to us bloody Yanks) goes into high gear.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Redfern said:

Probably her personality will evolve over the course of several stories as they experiment what seems to work and what doesn't.

Her wardrobe?  Rassilon only knows.  I've yet to find the original source quote, but supposedly, what we see Whittaker wearing in the teaser is NOT the official ensemble.  the Christmas special will likely show her in Capaldi's outfit as she regenerates, leaving us hanging.  Her series won't debut for nearly a solid year if not a tad longer (meaning Fall of 2018).  That would suggest recording won't start until early next year.  So, I don't expect any "reveals" until early next year when promotion for the new series (season to us bloody Yanks) goes into high gear.

Sincerely,

Bill

It was said on the BBC page that it was not her official costume, as I recall.

• Ich war so frei und habe die Frau Doctor mal in DazStudio4 nachgebaut. Zumindest so gut es bisher ging. Comments?

KeepCalm_Doctor.jpg
    750 x 450 - 75K
    Redfern said:

Her wardrobe?  Rassilon only knows.  I've yet to find the original source quote, but supposedly, what we see Whittaker wearing in the teaser is NOT the official ensemble.

Sincerely,

Bill

It was said on the BBC page that it was not her official costume, as I recall.

Thanks for the clarification, Richard.

Sincerely,

Bill

Ich war so frei und habe die Frau Doctor mal in DazStudio4 nachgebaut. Zumindest so gut es bisher ging. Comments?

Can someone make the head morph for v4 or help find a look-a-like so I can make tweaks for it? Been busy with work and other projects to start on it... :-(

edited July 2017

Apropos of nothing, the first Doctor debating his momentous decision to flee Gallifrey as finally depicted in "Name of the Doctor". (Susan has not yet arrived.)

Arguably the laziest prop I ever constructed. wink I "cheated" and gave the "un-chameleoned" capsule a thin "plinth" or "lip" under the door. It seems to me if the undisguised space/time machine were to materialize upon uneven ground, the door would scrape as it opened and closed.

Sincerely,

Bill

Type-40-Shop-J-1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 21K
    edited July 2017

This is my take on the 13th Doctor... any notes for the head morph to help make it look more like Jodie Whittaker?

EDIT: Computer didn't save the pic properly.... Now updated with rendered pic...

13thDoctor1.jpg
    1000 x 1589 - 830K
    Post edited by MGHSFAN2k on
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

Hey all, I will be posting the two Doctor morphs I have and one companion morph I have on DA after work today. they are free to share with anyone and there are no restrictions. They are for V4 and M4 but should be able to convert to other characters via GENX2. Work has been super busy so if I have missed any requests for these figures I am sorry and this will allow anyone tht wants them to get them. 

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

I had a really awesome doctor save my life about a month ago..  oh wait, wrong Doctor..  wink

Hey all, I will be posting the two Doctor morphs I have and one companion morph I have on DA after work today. they are free to share with anyone and there are no restrictions. They are for V4 and M4 but should be able to convert to other characters via GENX2. Work has been super busy so if I have missed any requests for these figures I am sorry and this will allow anyone tht wants them to get them. 

Where would be the link to your dArt account to access them?

I don't see any DW related goodies yet, but ShadowHawk's DA page is here...

http://shadowhawkone.deviantart.com/

Sincerely,

Bill

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,690

I need to watch all of Peter's episodes but I hope the new doctor will be one I like.  I never got into Peter so I ended up missing most of his episodes.

i am thinking of creating my own doctor with Genesis 8 if I can get DS to work right and to keep chrome from opening a thousand copies.

13th Doctor 3D Render Update - work abit on the face and the smile. Critiques and comments would help on making it better...

13thDocProgress2.jpg
    861 x 610 - 317K
    13thDocProgress1.jpg
    861 x 610 - 318K

Another update: Eyes Smaller and Farther Apart, Cheekbones Better, Fixed Mouth...

13thDocProgress4.jpg
    861 x 610 - 318K
    13thDocProgress3.jpg
    861 x 610 - 324K
  • stuthursostuthurso Posts: 192
    MGHSFAN2k said:

Another update: Eyes Smaller and Farther Apart, Cheekbones Better, Fixed Mouth...

That's getting really close now!  perhaps all you need now is to make the eyes a little rounder and her nose and jaw a bit wider. ?  Other than that I you've just about got it.  That's really great work there!  smiley

Jodie-Whittaker-1.jpg
    620 x 388 - 36K