The Doctor Appreciation thread

Comments

• blutobluto Posts: 827

say mr redfern , what texture do you use when you portray davros in one of your rendered illustrations ?? and is that something you might be able to share ?

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited July 2015
    Redfern said:

Post edited by nightkin on
  • Hi,

Has anyone made a Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) facial morph for Michael 3 or 4 I could buy? 

• Nod64Nod64 Posts: 35

Hi,

Has anyone made a Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) facial morph for Michael 3 or 4 I could buy? 

I saw a morph of him doing the rounds a while back. I think it was at http://www.sharecg.com

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    bluto said:

say mr redfern , what texture do you use when you portray davros in one of your rendered illustrations ?? and is that something you might be able to share ?

Sorry, Bluto.  I haven't received an e-bot from this thread in ages and it tends to be a bit slow moving compared to some, thus I rarely check upon it.

My Davros texture?  It's the "hag" from this set...

http://www.daz3d.com/v3-morph-expansion-pack-1

Of course, I tweak the intensity, add some "tan" to the base diffuse channel, that sort of thing.

I also use the "zombie" texture from that set for my Freak 3 based Sontaran.

Hope that helps.

Oh, Bluto?  You have my domestic e-mail address, remember?  If you post a question and I don't respond in as timely a fashion as you think I should, feel free to contact me via e-mail.

Sincerely,

Bill

hey guys , i think i finally finished up my davros morf for m4 .

what do you think

davros.jpg
    1116 x 832 - 381K

Say!  That's pretty darn good!  It has something of a Peter Cushing quality to his features which I think works really well for the character.  I'm also glad you included the Mekon (a villain from the "Dan Dare" comics) inspired expanded cranium, a feature that was, sadly, all but eliminated from the Julian Bleach makeup.

Sincerely,

Bill

thanks bill 

• Nod64Nod64 Posts: 35
    bluto said:

hey guys , i think i finally finished up my davros morf for m4 .

what do you think

Certainly looks nice with the texture added. laugh

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,686

In NYC airport.   Saw a doctor who magazine while looking for NYC pizza.   Of course I got the magazine, NYC pizza and a mango juice.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Guess we need a roadside dinner model now.

50's themed

i would like a model of the updated classic console room used in the season ender. i loved the way it mimiced the hartnell console room but with the astetic of todays sets

I put a message looking for a Masie Williams model in the celeb thread...I'm all up for adventures of Clara and Ashieldur.

(a good Jenna morph would be good too)..

Scavenger said:

(a good Jenna morph would be good too)..

pm shadowhawk1 he has an outstanding clara morph for use with v4

Ah.I think he sent that to me some time ago and I haven't tried it yet..

• Just wondering, did anyone ever do a prop for the basic neutral shape of a TARDIS with the chameleon circuit turned off? With or without an opening door.

• Isn't that what a SIDRAT basically is, a non-disguised TARDIS? If I'm not mistaken and it is, then sharecg has it for download.

ALDemps' SIDRAT is based upon those depicted in "The War Games" which is basically a chamfered "cube".  The "capsule" which Hartnell's Doctor is about to steal in "Name of the Doctor" is a cylinder with an "inset" curved door.  The machine which Capaldi's Doctor nabs in "HellBent" is similar, but the entrance appears to be two narrow flat doors rather than the curved one od the earlier revealed craft.

Sincerely,

Bill

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Just a bit of pondering but can something like a TARDIS have a 'natural' shape?

edited December 2015
    jestmart said:

Just a bit of pondering but can something like a TARDIS have a 'natural' shape?

Well yes. It's a physical machine with a circuit that casts a mathematical constructed "chameleon" shell around it.

5141510_orig.png
    617 x 800 - 423K
    Post edited by Scavenger on

Hopefully I can obtain larger images for greater examination, but here are two modest sized for now.

The "vortex" scene depicts the capsule Hartnell's Doctor steals in "Name of the Doctor".  The other is the capsule that Clara eventually "inherits" in "Hell Bent"  As I described earlier, the recessed door section is not flush with the ground as with the "NotD" capsule but raised a bit less than a foot.  The overall width seems a tad more narrow and there are two flat doors (the left one we see swings inward) rather than the single, featureless curved door of the NotD transport.  There's also a subtle "seam" that encircle sthe cylinder at the top and bottom edge of the door recess (though the lower is blocked in this shot).

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Bill

NotD-Capsule-1.jpg
    297 x 297 - 21K
    oldschool-tardis-2.jpg
    180 x 297 - 15K
  • They are clearly different models.  Chronatus, you will recall, also had absconded with his Tardis in "Shada":  it was a Type 12, cloaked as a Cambridge professorial flat.  The Police Box was a Type 40.  The diner in "Hell Bent" is likely not a Type 40 (the door discrepancy noted above) but very nearly the same sort--perhaps a 39, a 41 or 42-- as it exhibits the same bug in the chameleon circuit that stuck the Doctor's exterior as a Police Box.

• They are clearly different models.  Chronatus, you will recall, also had absconded with his Tardis in "Shada":  it was a Type 12, cloaked as a Cambridge professorial flat.  The Police Box was a Type 40.  The diner in "Hell Bent" is likely not a Type 40 (the door discrepancy noted above) but very nearly the same sort--perhaps a 39, a 41 or 42-- as it exhibits the same bug in the chameleon circuit that stuck the Doctor's exterior as a Police Box.

We don't know that it is stuck, do we?

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 2015

Actually, we do--and it is.

Early in the First Doctor's travels, the TARDIS assumed the exterior shape of a police box during a stopover in 1963 London. Due to a malfunction in its chameleon circuit, the TARDIS became locked into that shape. (TV: "The Cave of Skulls") [additional sources needed] The Eleventh Doctor had in fact purposefully destroyed the chameleon circuit, to inspire the look of the police boxes by spreading it through human history and culture. (COMIC: Hunters of the Burning Stone)

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Police_box

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on

They are clearly different models.  Chronatus, you will recall, also had absconded with his Tardis in "Shada":  it was a Type 12, cloaked as a Cambridge professorial flat.  The Police Box was a Type 40.  The diner in "Hell Bent" is likely not a Type 40 (the door discrepancy noted above) but very nearly the same sort--perhaps a 39, a 41 or 42-- as it exhibits the same bug in the chameleon circuit that stuck the Doctor's exterior as a Police Box.

Clara or Ashieldr makes an offhand comment about the chamerleon circuit maybe being broken as it dematerializes.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 2015
    Clara or Ashieldr makes an offhand comment about the chamerleon circuit maybe being broken as it dematerializes.
    Scavenger said:

They are clearly different models.  Chronatus, you will recall, also had absconded with his Tardis in "Shada":  it was a Type 12, cloaked as a Cambridge professorial flat.  The Police Box was a Type 40.  The diner in "Hell Bent" is likely not a Type 40 (the door discrepancy noted above) but very nearly the same sort--perhaps a 39, a 41 or 42-- as it exhibits the same bug in the chameleon circuit that stuck the Doctor's exterior as a Police Box.

I just watched the repeat. Ashildr was reading what looked like a "TARDIS Operations For Dummies" book, and said she wasn't sure she'd done it right, it might be stuck on American Diner.

EDit: Drat. OK, that's a definite forum bug — there's no name attribution in the reply text box, so it's impossible to tell which quote level you're deleting.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Ah, I missed that.

• I was just watching the old "Making of Star Wars" feature from the late 70's (I used to have this show on VHS tape) found here: 

https://www.facebook.com/darky.grevious/videos/1683564165231761/

and as I watched it, I thought that the specially crafted set used for the Artoo and Threepio footage would make an interesting TARDIS interior design. Does anybody else get the same feel from the set design, and how difficult do you think it would be to try recreating it? 

As it has been 39 years since I saw that special, I somehow convinced myself their setting was that small Death Star "office" where R2 discovered the location of the Princess.  Obviously, I was woefully confused.

Given the interior designs we've seen since the '96 movie, my following assessment doesn't carry as much weight, but personally, I find that set far too "greebled" .  I guess what caught your eye was that central control station and the fact the floor bordering its plinth is a hexagon.  I guess the overall "white" scheme resembles the "classic" console room.  One thing you can't deny, modeling all those components and would send the polygon count through the roof!

Still, I want to thank you for posting that link.  I have not seen that special since it debuted in Septemember 1977, over 39 years ago!  Being 14 at the time and living with a grandmother on a fixed retirement, I couldn't afford the early videotaping technology that existed at that time.  But I did use a cassette device to make an audio recording that I played many time over the next few years.  Eventually, I either lost the tape or I wore out the media; I can't remember which.  This is certainly a pleasant stroll down memory lane!

Sincerely,

Bill