Daz Studio 4.9.2 Pro, General Release!

Comments

• jdfoxjdfox Posts: 38

What has happened to the interface in 4.9.2?  The main pane (Viewport) is now partly hidden behind the righthand panes and timeline pane.  It's totally unusable. Tried to find out how to fix it and have lost the pane entirely and all my settings. Have gone back to 4.9.1 - and have, of course, lost all my original settings. This new version is a disaster!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Individual pane resizing seems to be fixed too.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,858

It is kinda weird not being able to acess the tools in the very right top of the main viewport without closing the pane on the right side that has Render Settings, Camers...so on.

1.png
    521 x 894 - 87K
  • rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,162
    edited May 2016
    Ruphuss said:

thanks for the new version

a very simple question about the useability of connect/smart content

say i want to find a hair for Victoria 6

how should i search ?

is it true that there are no categories for characters ?

for hair i find long, short but no fitting characters

wouldnt this be usefull ?

but maybe i just didnt found out how this works

You can right-click on the Victoria 6 asset icon and choose the "Explore Add-Ons..." option from the context menu. This will cause a view titled "Add-Ons for: Victoria 6" to be displayed. In this view, on the left-hand side, will be a familiar looking list of categories. Only the categories assigned to assets that have been declared compatible with the base figure that Victoria 6 is built upon (i.e., Genesis 2) will be used to populate the view. For example, if you have hair/clothing/poses/etc. installed that have been declared compatible with Genesis 2 (via installed metadata or the DB Editor), then whatever categories the assets have been assigned to (installed or added by you) will be the available options for navigating the "Add-Ons."

Conversly, right-clicking a hair/clothing/pose/etc asset in one of these database driven asset views and choosing the "Explore Targets..."option from the context menu will cause a view titled "Targets for: %AssetName%" to be displayed. This view differs from the above in that it works in the opposite direction; i.e., it is populated by the assets that 'this' asset has been declared compatible with.

-Rob

Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    jdfox said:

What has happened to the interface in 4.9.2?  The main pane (Viewport) is now partly hidden behind the righthand panes and timeline pane.  It's totally unusable. Tried to find out how to fix it and have lost the pane entirely and all my settings. Have gone back to 4.9.1 - and have, of course, lost all my original settings. This new version is a disaster!

My guess is that you have windows scaled in general and it is a different scale than what you expect Daz Studio to be, so the new scaling, which is tied to the Windows scale may be giving you a different result than you expect. 

If you set Windows scaling to 100% does it give you back what you had? 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I think I will test it on my work computer and see what it does before I try it on my main rendering computer.

marble said:

Where could I look for an explanation of what is possible with the new Iray Diffuse overlay and how to use it? Also the portals and Draw Style changes?

The 4.9.2 section of the New Features page would be a good place to start.

-Rob

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    edited May 2016

I see no improvement to font size on my HDPI monitor, nor do I see a way to enable HDPI interface (presumably via Preferences | Interface). The higlights of the upgrade state:

"Interface Scaling  - Added support for High-DPI displays on Windows (via OS virtualization and scaling)" 

Is this current implementation of HDPI support suppose to be automatic or is there a setting to change? Has it been fully implemented?

Still running Win7(64-bit), maybe HDPI only supported on Win10? 

Thanks! Can't wait to put away the MS Magnifier app!   

Post edited by FirePro9 on
  • LintonLinton Posts: 541
    jdfox said:

I get an entirely white screen, with words where there were once buttons I could click. I get a fatal error after a minute or two, then I am booted out of Daz Studio since upgrading to 4.9.2.

All settings were default before the upgrade, nothing should have changed, any word on when the issue might be fixed?

Linton said:
    jdfox said:

I get an entirely white screen, with words where there were once buttons I could click. I get a fatal error after a minute or two, then I am booted out of Daz Studio since upgrading to 4.9.2.

All settings were default before the upgrade, nothing should have changed, any word on when the issue might be fixed?

That is usually a symptom of installing Daz Studio while it is running. 

The solution is to quit Daz Studio, uninstall Daz Studio and plug-ins using Daz Install Manager, then reinstall Daz Studio using Daz Install Manager.

In the future, please make sure Daz Studio is not open when installing updates.

marble said:

Is it my imagination or does the Studio user interface now account for high resolution displays? Mine is 2650x1440 and I'm sure the text was tiny before the update. Now it seems quite readable.

• Explicitly declared the application as being not “High-DPI Aware” on Windows; allows for DPI virtualization and scaling as implemented by the operating system; ref: Manifest Madness - Chuck Walbourn - MSFT.

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.9.2.67

This does not enable user-defined control of numeric values that are embedded in the style (fonts, margins, spacing, sizes, etc) used by Daz Studio, rather it allows Windows (Vista and later) to scale the application window (and its child windows) to better fit High-DPI displays. User-defined control of numeric values embedded in the style is considerably more involved and is still being chipped away at.

BTW, Install Manager (1.1.0.64) recieved the same treatment.

-Rob

• LintonLinton Posts: 541
    Linton said:
    jdfox said:

Found the issue, after downloading the updates, it had failed to install properly. I uninstalled, reinstalled, now it seems to be working fine.

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    edited May 2016

In testing out the new Diffuse Overlay material I noticed an odd behaviour I've not seen before.  I created a primitive and applied the Iray Uber Base shader preset to it.  Then go into the Surfaces Editor and I see the Diffuse Overlay Weight slider but no Diffuse Overlay Color slider.  Once I change the Diffuse Overlay Weight slider to anything other than zero, the Diffuse Overlay Color slider pops up underneath it.  I've not seen this before where a parameter is hidden until you change its value from zero.  Perhaps I haven't been fiddling with enough sliders/parameters.  

I was hoping this new layer would be a better solution for tatoos & decals rather than using Iray Decals, however, it does not appear that we can position the image that is placed into the Diffuse Overlay Color.

Post edited by FirePro9 on
    marble said:
    Kerya said:
    DigiDotz said:

Interesting to see light portals. How do I use them and will they speed indoor renders up?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1204021/#Comment_1204021

Just reading on in that thread it mentions IRay Realtime but it does not look like that made it to the General Release. That's a pity.

We have encountered considerable stability issues with that mode in particular. We decided not to put our users, not to mention ourselves, through the many headaches that would no doubt follow had we included it. NVIDIA has done work to improve it, so it may show up in a future build, but we do not feel that it is ready at the moment.

-Rob

jdfox said:

My guess is that you have windows scaled in general and it is a different scale than what you expect Daz Studio to be, so the new scaling, which is tied to the Windows scale may be giving you a different result than you expect. 

I haven't changed any Windows scaling.  4.9.1 works fine (as far as that's concerned) but not 4.9.2

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a project and can't afford to experiment - just in case.

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited May 2016

This new General Release, is it 4.9.2.70?

Ooops, just saw that it is. * g *

Petra

Post edited by Petra on
    marble said:

Is it my imagination or does the Studio user interface now account for high resolution displays? Mine is 2650x1440 and I'm sure the text was tiny before the update. Now it seems quite readable.

I have the same resolution, nothing changed here, stilly tiny writing.

jdfox said:
    jdfox said:

I haven't changed any Windows scaling.  4.9.1 works fine (as far as that's concerned) but not 4.9.2

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a project and can't afford to experiment - just in case.

Right, you haven't changed it, but Daz Studio now reads the Windows scale setting. See attached image. 

So if your scale setting is something other than 100% (In my image it is 150%) then Daz Studio will adapt to that in 4.9.2 where it ignored it in 4.9.1. 

Note there is a minimum size for both Shader Mixer and Shader Builder, so those are the usual suspects in this case. Collapsing the Brickyard in Shader Mixer will usually fix this, providing your scale doesn't push it farther. You can close both Shader Mixer and Shader Builder, if they are open and you don't use them, and the issue should go away. 

Now if you don't need the scaling you can right click on your DS icon and open Properties, under compatibility you can check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings, and it should appear exactly as it did in 4.9.1. 

WindowsScale.jpg
    1022 x 726 - 53K
    Pet said:
    marble said:

Changing windows scaling should change your fonts, etc. in Daz Studio now. Windows 10 example posted. 

WindowsScale.jpg
    1022 x 726 - 53K
    edited May 2016
    marble said:

Yes, on Windows they have found a way to enable the OS font scaling. Shader Mixer has also been updated to handle that better. This isn't the general update to Qt that was discussed previously, that as far as I know is till being worked on.

My writing is still tiny.  Where can the writing made bigger?

Post edited by Petra on
    jdfox said:
    jdfox said:

Right, you haven't changed it, but Daz Studio now reads the Windows scale setting. See attached image. 

So if your scale setting is something other than 100% (In my image it is 150%) then Daz Studio will adapt to that in 4.9.2 where it ignored it in 4.9.1. 

Note there is a minimum size for both Shader Mixer and Shader Builder, so those are the usual suspects in this case. Collapsing the Brickyard in Shader Mixer will usually fix this, providing your scale doesn't push it farther. You can close both Shader Mixer and Shader Builder, if they are open and you don't use them, and the issue should go away. 

Now if you don't need the scaling you can right click on your DS icon and open Properties, under compatibility you can check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings, and it should appear exactly as it did in 4.9.1. 

Have just checked - it was set at 100%.  Thanks for your help,  I really don't think that's the problem - the pane just simply refuses to dock with the righthand panes and the timeline pane.

jdfox said:
    jdfox said:
    jdfox said:

Have just checked - it was set at 100%.  Thanks for your help,  I really don't think that's the problem - the pane just simply refuses to dock with the righthand panes and the timeline pane.

Can I get you to file a support ticket with screenshots please. That way we can get to the bottom of this for you. 

jdfox said:
    jdfox said:

I do not understand why you have this problem, I have a resolution 2560x1440 and I can see everyting , nothin is partly hidden on the top right..

Pet said:
    marble said:

Changing windows scaling should change your fonts, etc. in Daz Studio now. Windows 10 example posted. 

Thank you , but that makes everything , and not just the writing * look to big for my Screen. 

Pet said:
    jdfox said:
    jdfox said:

I do not understand why you have this problem, I have a resolution 2560x1440 and I can see everyting , nothin is partly hidden on the top right..

Pet said:
    marble said:

Thank you , but that makes everything , and not just the writing * look to big for my Screen. 

That is the current solution, as Rob said, we are not done yet. :) 

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

I can't render anything in 4.9. Everything stop after a few seconds and a black image is all I get.

Wish I'd never installed this now!

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    jdfox said:
    jdfox said:
    jdfox said:

Can I get you to file a support ticket with screenshots please. That way we can get to the bottom of this for you. 

Same here. Should I open a ticket too?
    jdfox said:

Hmmm, looks all just fine on my PC.

My Layout and Style that I customised is still just fine, nothing is hidden or overlaped.

I lost nothing of my original settings.

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited May 2016

The CMS database conversion messed up the smart content categories. It took up as Smart Content categories the custom categories I created in the Content Library tab and that I didn't use anymore since DAZ Studio 4.9.x because it was 'broken' for people using connect only. Is there a way to bring back its own categorizing system back to Smart Content?

Edit: Found the answer myself. The conversion used the default categorizing system in Smart Content. AND it added in smart content the old categorization system I had in the content Library. I'll see how I get that sorted.

Post edited by Erdehel on
  • DAZ_VinceDAZ_Vince Posts: 114
    Toyen said:

It is kinda weird not being able to acess the tools in the very right top of the main viewport without closing the pane on the right side that has Render Settings, Camers...so on.

Hi Toyen, the issue is not new to 4.9.2 but may have been made more apparent because of the scaling fix. The navigation gets "pushed out the right side of the viewport" when you have Shader Builder or Shader Mixer docked in the center view area. More specifically if the left menu (shelf) is open in Shader mixer. You can either close the left shelf in shader mixer or close the shader mixer pane entirely to solve the issue. We will be working on the issue in upcoming builds but the workaraound is pretty simple for now.

Just for clarity, the scaling simply turns on the multiplier assigned by Windows in your display settings (this was ignored in previous builds) so if the scaling in windows is set to 100% you should see no difference. On smaller moniters with high dpi like a Surface or Surface Book the default scaling is around 200% so you immediately see a difference with the application not looking so small.

To disable this scaling (and have it return to how it was in previous builds of Daz Studio) you can either change windows scaling to 100% in your display settings or right click on the Daz Studio Shortcut icon, choose Properties, go to the compatibility tab and check the option called "disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Launching the application with this shortcut will make it ignore the windows scaling (as it used to).

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,124

Is this the same software as the 4.92 beta I just downloaded and installed the other day?