DAZ Connect news - Encrypted files will be unlocked after 12 months

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,892
    lx said:

My apologies for your feelings being hurt; I've deleted my post. 

No worries, my feelings weren't hurt.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562
    Havos said:
    argel1200 said:

I would prefer a decryption date in the product page listing. No need for fancy graphics. Edit: One thing that would be nice is a new report added to our account that lists encrypted content and when it will be avialable unencrypted.

I agree the full date should be on the product page, I was talking about the main page where many products are seen together as thumbnails.

That's unlikely to happen because Daz has a policy of not revealing the realease dates of any content in their store, and this move would allow people to know (calculate) when an item was released. I can kind of understand the idea behind the non-disclosure policy, which is most likely vendor-driven.

BTW - after 12 months will these unencrypted files remain DAZ connect only?

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    fred9803 said:
    Havos said:
    argel1200 said:

I would prefer a decryption date in the product page listing. No need for fancy graphics. Edit: One thing that would be nice is a new report added to our account that lists encrypted content and when it will be avialable unencrypted.

I agree the full date should be on the product page, I was talking about the main page where many products are seen together as thumbnails.

That's unlikely to happen because Daz has a policy of not revealing the realease dates of any content in their store, and this move would allow people to know (calculate) when an item was released. I can kind of understand the idea behind the non-disclosure policy, which is most likely vendor-driven.

You can find out the release date of any item via its product page (not the store page) - the problem is that the Product Index is apparently being hosted on a dead turtle, so looking anything up about a product is a nightmare. 

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    edited February 2016
    nicstt said:
    lx said:

My apologies for your feelings being hurt; I've deleted my post. 

I smiled when I saw your post; it was harsh, but perhaps accurate too.

Sadly it can't go back to how it was for me; but I'm moving on in different ways than anticipated.

Ive too been drifting different ways than I anticipated. since the push out of genesis 3, then this DRM drama with daz 4.9    I'm mostly just been looking around for alternative sites to daz and renderosity. because Ive also started playing with poser and Maya again. So Ive  been shopping at a new store called cg traders  I can't post the link here  But they have some very cool stuff  I have been picking up a lot of environment sets low ploy city sets and some interior props etc that they have  had on sale..  the file formats  come as Obj, Maya, wavefront, Vue. c4d Dae  3ds  and a few others formats. I think I seen some Bryce 5 stuff there too if i remember right. .  I can import these model in any of my 3d software including Daz studio and poser.. sometimes you might need to do a little tweaking or reworking the rigging. But  I have not had any issues with the mats as of yet. &t its totally DRM free and are movie studio quality models which is great if your into creating animation like me. . though I'll admit some of their stuff is rather high in price so you got to look around for the deals.  

Edit:   I should add they also carry g2f characters stuff as well for daz studio

Post edited by Ivy on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    fred9803 said:

No

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1015468/#Comment_1015468

lx said:

You can find out the release date of any item via its product page (not the store page) - the problem is that the Product Index is apparently being hosted on a dead turtle, so looking anything up about a product is a nightmare. 

That seems to be fixed for me.

• fred9803 said:
    Havos said:
    argel1200 said:

I don't think there is any such policy given that the readme documents on the documentation wiki maintained by DAZ has release dates clearly shown. Also we can sort items by release date in Connect.  

I can't imagine any reason release dates would be secret in any case.

Also it has been stated before that DAZ will put the unencrypted items on DIM and product library download.

How does one navigate to the product page from the store page? Is there a link there I'm missing? I haven't been Dazing very long, obviously.

fred9803 said:

How does one navigate to the product page from the store page? Is there a link there I'm missing? I haven't been Dazing very long, obviously.

No, there is no link.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/24012/start Here's an example product. If you get the SKU of the item in the store you want to check, you can replace the SKu (24012) in that URL to get to the product you want. Alternatively, there is a menu here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/start That separates them by every 10,000 and then alphabetically. There's a search function on the top right but I've rarely ever gotten it to make a product appear. 

Good luck!

I find the easiest way (other than right-clicking on the product in Smart Content if you're using DS4.9) is to take this URL and substitute the SKU number from the product page for the XXXXX:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/XXXXX/start

Thanks for clearing up the un-encryption issue for me. I think I'll stick with my opinion that there is a policy of not showing the release date, at least on the shop page where 99.9% of people go. The ridiculious hoops you need to jump through to get to the product page for any item is evidence enough for this. Why not just show the release date on the store page for each item? My guess it that vendors think people are are put off by older products as most people want the latest stuff. Just a guess.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    hphoenix said:

Okay.  We've got encrypted content unlocking after some period of time (currently 12 months.)  People are missing something....

How can we tell when it is time?

Nowhere on the product pages is the 'release date' shown.  12 months later, 15 months later, 24 months later.....how will you know (unless you write down and store it in a notebook when each and every encrypted product is released) if it's supposed to have been re-released as decrypted?

Maybe by accident, maybe not, but some might not 'change' to decrypted content when they are 'supposed' to.  And how can you say otherwise, without that information?  Especially after a full year.....3-6 months, maybe, you might remember.....

The store page needs to be updated to show the release date for EACH and EVERY product anyway.  It also should have an icon on the display (like the DO and PC+ icons) that shows it is encrypted Connect-only.  This needs to be done ASAP, as encrypted content is already being released.

You will have to go to the Readme - http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/24126/start Release Date: 2016-02-12  ... for example

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991
    fred9803 said:

Thanks for clearing up the un-encryption issue for me. I think I'll stick with my opinion that there is a policy of not showing the release date, at least on the shop page where 99.9% of people go. The ridiculious hoops you need to jump through to get to the product page for any item is evidence enough for this. Why not just show the release date on the store page for each item? My guess it that vendors think people are are put off by older products as most people want the latest stuff. Just a guess.

If you use DIM, you can simply click on the Info icon in front of the downloaded item, and it will bring you to the readme. In 4.9, there's also an info function that takes you to the readme page straight away. Of course, that's assuming you use DIM or 4.9 in the first place.

There is plenty of room on a product's store page to include the release date. One would expect to see it there. And I don't think the fact it isn't there is simply an oversight. It's a policy.

BeeMKay said:
    fred9803 said:

If you use DIM, you can simply click on the Info icon in front of the downloaded item, and it will bring you to the readme. In 4.9, there's also an info function that takes you to the readme page straight away. Of course, that's assuming you use DIM or 4.9 in the first place.

That's still a ridiculous hoop. There's no reason it can't be on the store page, especially as it's now relevant information for many more people.

Also, there's still no icon on encrypted items on the store index. Reposting the mock up with suggestions I made from the other thread:

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

After reading the last five pages I felt that I needed to make something clear. I've said that I can accept this solution and I can. It doesn't mean that I will be buying DRM products though...it means that I will wait for 12 months and if I still want it I will buy it. I stopped buying things from Daz that were newly released automatically sometime back. These days I only buy things that really catch my eye and they will often sit in my trolley for a couple of days  while I think about them further.

I buy at all of the major stores these days and my money is probably split fairly evenly at the moment.

Kaot: I'd love an updated Hexagon. I haven't bought it for a host of reasons, but I'd love an easy modeler that was easily accessible by DS. I just... not going to buy something that's buggy and outdated.

Hold your thumbs and cross your fingers and think positive: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/hexagon/2/start

It may work out!

lx said:
    BeeMKay said:

That's still a ridiculous hoop. There's no reason it can't be on the store page, especially as it's now relevant information for many more people.

Also, there's still no icon on encrypted items on the store index. Reposting the mock up with suggestions I made from the other thread:

No way is Daz going to include a little padlock in their store image. And it's not really accurate as it suggests the content is locked, which it isn't. Maybe a simple "E" would be best, denoting encypted. But then some potential buyers (non-4.9) would simply not click, and not see the wonderful item on offer. It's a carrot.

fred9803 said:
    lx said:
    BeeMKay said:

No way is Daz going to include a little padlock in their store image. And it's not really accurate as it suggests the content is locked, which it isn't. Maybe a simple "E" would be best, denoting encypted. But then some potential buyers (non-4.9) would simply not click, and not see the wonderful item on offer. It's a carrot.

The actual connect logo being used on the store page is a shield with a c around it (at least that's what it looks like) which is why I included the clearer c shield suggestion. The padlock was mostly just for people reading these threads xD

I believe that Daz really wants customers to have the most information they can when looking at the store and this suggestion would help to give that required information to users before they accidentally purchase an item they may not be able to use and have to complain to support.

Here, I made an updated image that might be more helpful. If any customers would be unhappy with this suggested change, I can add any adjustments.

daz-connect-suggestion.jpg
    654 x 582 - 82K
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991
    edited February 2016
    lx said:
    fred9803 said:
    lx said:
    BeeMKay said:

The actual connect logo being used on the store page is a shield with a c around it (at least that's what it looks like) which is why I included the clearer c shield suggestion. The padlock was mostly just for people reading these threads xD

I believe that Daz really wants customers to have the most information they can when looking at the store and this suggestion would help to give that required information to users before they accidentally purchase an item they may not be able to use and have to complain to support.

Connect unequals encryption, so there need to be two different signs. I'm pretty certain that a lot of content will be DC only in the future, while the encrypt part might only happen to a limited number of items.

lx said:
    BeeMKay said:
    fred9803 said:

I was pointing out that there were ways to access the info page outside of using hacking some website URL. NOWHERE in my post did I suggest that this was a preferred method or that people should use it. It would not even work for everyone, as the statement about DIM and 4.9 shows rather clearly.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
    edited February 2016
    BeeMKay said:
    lx said:
    fred9803 said:
    lx said:
    BeeMKay said:

Connect unequals encryption, so there need to be two different signs. I'm pretty certain that a lot of content will be DC only in the future, while the encrypt part might only happen to a limited number of items.

lx said:
    BeeMKay said:
    fred9803 said:

I was pointing out that there were ways to access the info page outside of using hacking some website URL. NOWHERE in my post did I suggest that this was a preferred method or that people should use it. It would not even work for everyone, as the statement about DIM and 4.9 shows rather clearly.

These are the current icons on the product page on the store:

The Encrypted Daz Connect icon is meant to be a shield inside a weird C (but isn't clear at such a small size, hence my suggestion for an alternate icon and putting it on the store index.) Items that are Connect but not encrypted are also available via other means so there is no need for an icon on the store index. There is a need for an encrypted icon because those are Daz Studio 4.9 only and not all customers use that software, or if they do, may not use that organisation system, or be willing to purchase encrypted content.

daz-product-icons.png
    474 x 54 - 11K
    Post edited by lx_2807502 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2016
    fred9803 said:

I would just like to point out quietly that at least one of the "other" stores not only does not give the release date of products in the store pages, it doesn't show them on the readmes. Sure there is a date on the readme, but that is not neccesarily the release date. At least with the Wiki you can get a definite release date by using the sku.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Will the change to let encrypted content be un-encrypted affect PC+ freebies

So we got a solution. Thank you, timmins.william, that was a case of having the right idea at the right time. I will gladly wait for things to become unencrypted.

By the way, if I buy one, wait a year without downloading (still using 4.8 with every intention of continuing), will the product appear in Download Manager after the end of the waiting period?

Yes, after the year you can get it through DIM or your Product Library.

Fixmypcmike,  Thanks... I was going to ask that same question since I work offline, use DIM and plan to never use Connect. Currently using DS 4.9 BETA Public realease and won't touch DS 4.9 standard release until it's features are updated.

Havos said:

... (unless there is a easy way to navigate to the readme in DS 4.9, anyone know?)...

As an aside, yes - right-click should give a More Info... command which will open the readme in DS.

Richard, I liked this feature for awhile in DS 4.9 Beta... however I'd be totally happy if I had the ability to have an external browser to do this instead.

Havos said:

Maybe a good idea would be to have a small circular icon underneath the thumbnail in the store page for the product (next to those for PC+ etc) to indicate that a product is encrypted. The icon would be solid grey (it could be any color), at the start, and then it sweeps to orange (or amber) as the item gets closer to its DRM free time. That way it has the appearence of a pie chart or clock, so a quarter orange indicates 3 months past its release, half 6 months, and when almost all orange it would mean it is days left until it is unencrypted. When it is finally unencrypted the circle would turn green. It is a crude measurement, but gives someone an at a glance view on the store page of approximately how much longer a given product would remain encrypted.

See  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/70771/encryption-symbol-needs-for-the-new-type-of-item#latest   where I mention other ways to do this. Others are also speaking and suggesting ways to accomplish this.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited February 2016
    fred9803 said:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/start

Get the SKU from the product page you are interested in, then use the above link to find it; personally this should be linked to from the product's page.

Editted

Post edited by nicstt on
  • frogimus said:
    nicstt said:

L'Adair said:

It will be some time, however, before I start buying new releases if they are encrypted, because I can't use them. And I'm not alone.

Indeed. While this compromise reassures many of the "vocal few", maybe to the extent that they fall largely silent, it might still be the case that the wider customer base simply declines to buy encrypted content anyway. DAZ isn't going to find that out until they risk putting guaranteed high sales items up encrypted only. One thing they should know fairly well already is what proportion of buying customers is using DS 4.9 with validated accounts. Once that proportion is high enough they can take the plunge.

I've been vocal; I'm cautiously optomistic.

I do, however, feel a lot can happen in a week; and we're talking about twelve months.

To be honest they really haven't done anything except to dangle a carrot and get everyone to sign onto the DRM bandwagon. unencrypting items in a years in exchange for everyone throwing out their gimme hands makes them the winner. The only thing that has changed if you step back and look at it, daz gets all of you to stop your vocal oposition to DRM and your money again in exchange for a promise to unencrypt items a year down the line. Nothing has really changed other than they get to smile all the way to the bank and put a big W in the win collum for this round. 

And I haven't seen any indication of whether or not these items will be available as I would prefer to use them when they do get unlocked; if they still require me to use DAZ Connect in a year, I won't be buying them, period. I do not need the integrated downloader and do not plan to ever use it.

You will not need to use Connect after they are unencrypted:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1015468/#Comment_1015468

@Richard Haseltine - do you think you could put some of these bullet points on the first post? And maybe a link to the closed thread so people do not think it is being buried? It might help clear some of the unknowns for people newly coming into this discussion.

I've added the quote from Steve to the first post - unfortunately I can't reward your suggestion as Daz did timmins.william

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

Artists like stonemason still produce so beautiful items, that I will continue buying- as long as I get the items unencrypted (will happily wait a year, as I don't really need them, just love them)

nicstt said:

@Daz

Oh, and I won't be renewing my PC+, I was considering putting the tick back in renew; as encrypted only reduces the value to me. Getting something that I will have to wait (currently a year) to use - well the need will have gone.

As mentioned in another thread - the PC freebie is UNENCRYPTED.

The Friday Freebie is for everybody and is encrypted ...