Encryption discussions go here

1101112131416»

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060
    DanaTA said:
    Chohole said:

No, as has been said, it was a mistake.  It is not actually meant to be encrypted.

Has that been corrected?  I'll download it in DIM if it's available that way!

Dana

Yes, long since.

Thanks!

Dana

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited February 2016

So is the 'free' encrypted only item going to be a mistake also?

Not that I care, no intention of downloading encrypted; I don't consider that free.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    nicstt said:

Not that I care, no intention of downloading encrypted; I don't consider that free.

Don't think so since it's separate from the main offer page?

There are some really pretty things today (the farm even comes with Carrara settings!) and I usually wanted the HD morphs so the offer seems especially amazing today .. and somehow I just can't make myself care enough to grab something (also why are the G3 shoes half the price of the G2 shoes? All the fits?) Sorry, PAs. Your products are really nice looking but I'm just not feeling the 3D thing the last few days. Nothing to do with your lovely work.

edited February 2016
    lx said:
    nicstt said:

Don't think so since it's separate from the main offer page?

There are some really pretty things today (the farm even comes with Carrara settings!) and I usually wanted the HD morphs so the offer seems especially amazing today .. and somehow I just can't make myself care enough to grab something (also why are the G3 shoes half the price of the G2 shoes? All the fits?) Sorry, PAs. Your products are really nice looking but I'm just not feeling the 3D thing the last few days. Nothing to do with your lovely work.

I bought finley:

1. One because she looks great, and not got black eyebrows. :)

2. She's specified as 4.8 onwards in the details. The shader is still compatable with 4.8 too.

3. I have some credit to use up before my PC+ expires or I cancel.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • coldbycoldby Posts: 11
    edited February 2016

(this user left due to difference of opinion in matter of censorship)

Post edited by coldby on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    coldby said:
    DAZ_Jon said:
    • You do not need to use Daz Connect or encryption with 4.9. It is completely optional for use of your current content. There will be a requirement for it when Daz Connect only content is released, however acquisition and use of that content is not required.

I'm wondering for how many DAZ Studio versions that will still hold. My glass ball says not many: sooner or later the DIM will atrophy, Connect will become the standard and unencrypted products will slowly fade away.

Let's just hope that my glass ball is wrong...sad

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/71891/daz-connect-news-encrypted-files-will-be-unlocked-after-12-months

edited February 2016
    coldby said:
    DAZ_Jon said:
    • You do not need to use Daz Connect or encryption with 4.9. It is completely optional for use of your current content. There will be a requirement for it when Daz Connect only content is released, however acquisition and use of that content is not required.

I'm wondering for how many DAZ Studio versions that will still hold. My glass ball says not many: sooner or later the DIM will atrophy, Connect will become the standard and unencrypted products will slowly fade away.

It will only atrophy if most switch from DIM to Connect; I will continue to use DIM and my 22 various runtimes.

At least there is a proper selection of DRMd content for Daz to get feedback on. I'm hoping the answer is a resounding 'hell no'.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    nicstt said:
    coldby said:
    DAZ_Jon said:

It will only atrophy if most switch from DIM to Connect; I will continue to use DIM and my 22 various runtimes.

At least there is a proper selection of DRMd content for Daz to get feedback on. I'm hoping the answer is a resounding 'hell no'.

I think this is pretty accurate. So long as they see DIM regularly in use then I doubt they'll close it. I'm sticking with DIM too. So much more practical.

edited February 2016
    lx said:
    nicstt said:
    coldby said:
    DAZ_Jon said:

I think this is pretty accurate. So long as they see DIM regularly in use then I doubt they'll close it. I'm sticking with DIM too. So much more practical.

If it does go though, then my days of buying from Daz would cease, unless manual install was still available along with Connect - even then it would severly curtail it. Having said that, my spending is much less thanks to this debacle. (I'm glad their handling of the Runtime DNA merger is so much better; well tbh, it seems great.)

Post edited by nicstt on
  • jdfoxjdfox Posts: 38
    edited February 2016

X

Post edited by jdfox on
  • jdfox said:

I received an e-mail today "Try DAZ Connect".  I already have, with three freebies.  I won't describe how I feel about it.  Why fix something that's not broken?  Did DAZ have a meeting to decide 'How can we make it more complicated for our customers to install content'.  If not, then that has been the result.  I don't want files stored in the data/cloud/ folder.

I will decide what and where on MY computer the content will be installed.  I find the Smart Content tab unusable.

DAZ - if you want to have an alternative to Install Manager fine, but keep the Manual Download option.  There are items in the shop today that I would have considered purchasing but NOT with only Connect.  I have been a loyal customer for many many years (80 pages in my Product Library) but not with Connect.

So for me DAZ Connect = Goodbye DAZ

You can drag stuff from the "Smart Content" tab over to the regular "Content Library" tab to create pseudo files. It's a huge PITA to do if there are a lot of pieces, though, so I don't have any plans to do that and never use the Smart Content...so, I won't be spending any money for stuff to disappear there...but, you can create those files that sort of fit into the old antiquated workflow that us old timers use. 

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,031

I have enough connect-only content for experimentation purposes, so I think I'm done until DAZ gets two essential upgrades finished. One is the ability to reload the database with connect-only content information without downloading it again - I think Rob mentioned that this is being worked on. The other is for some way of identifying connect-only products that have been updated without using connect. My main system is behind a dial-up system, so the only way I can pull down connect-only content is by grabbing the off-line installers on my laptop and dragging them home. I don't have the space or desire to install everything on the laptop. I've submitted this as an enhancement request; we'll see where it goes from here.

• coldbycoldby Posts: 11
    edited February 2016

(this user left due to difference of opinion in matter of censorship)

Post edited by coldby on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    coldby said:

Fixmypcmike, why did you want me to browse through a page I'd already seen just to find out that there was nothing there related to the topic?

If encrypted content becomes unencrypted after a year, then unencrypted content isn't going away.