Reality 4.1 - September 21st

Comments

• IsazformsIsazforms Posts: 210
    edited September 2015
    icecrmn said:

"fireflies" are caused by the lights, reflective surfaces can make it a bit of a challenge at times to fix.I ran into this not long ago in a render I did for one of the monthly contests.

The really bright ones are from the lights, the smaller dull colored ones are from a a lack of convergence.Post a screen shot if can, then a few more people can see it and maybe offer some advise.

You're right, the lights go out in glossy surfaces , 
    in this case in the skin, which is glossy . 
    It is a naked , so I will make another version for display.

Post edited by Isazforms on
  • DekeDeke Posts: 1,613

My mystery solved: the Reality Installer understandably directed the software to the Daz Folder...but the older 4.7 folder. I redirected to the 4.8 Public Build folder and re-installed...now look forward to climbing a steep learning curve.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821

So, on the upside, I had a relatively trouble free install -- don't ask me why.

That said, when I tried to render a human figure, I had the weirdest problem with lips. Reality 4.1 set them to glossy, as 4.0 did, and they went completely gray, as if it couldn't figure out what the texture was. The only way I was able to get them to render was to convert them from Glossy to Skin and sync them with the face -- luckily it was all one texture and not separate lips. There weren't any error messages, and Reality and Lux were both behaving as though they thought they were handling the lips correctly. Has anyone else run into that?

• StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited September 2015

All the other lights load but when I try to load the top mesh light I get a message that the file doesn't exist. smiley If it doesn't exist when I click Icon where is it?

Post edited by Strixowl on
  • Is there an Official help thread some place?

Is the "light plane" the top mesh light. It loads, but even with intensity cranked I get no light in the Reality/lux render process.  Black and a few fireflies. In Iray, it requires amping up the lumens, but I don't see a lumen control for this light plane.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114
    vwrangler said:

That said, when I tried to render a human figure, I had the weirdest problem with lips. Reality 4.1 set them to glossy, as 4.0 did, and they went completely gray, as if it couldn't figure out what the texture was. The only way I was able to get them to render was to convert them from Glossy to Skin and sync them with the face -- luckily it was all one texture and not separate lips. There weren't any error messages, and Reality and Lux were both behaving as though they thought they were handling the lips correctly. Has anyone else run into that?

hmm,,you're right,,I'm seeing that as well.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Very very annoying.  I have 8 cameras and multiple lights in the scene and it's telling me I have none, to add one.  Uh, OK, so I added a distance light, that took care of that complaint but there are literally 8 cameras in the scene and it's not "seeing" any of those?  Weird! 

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    RAMWolff said:

Very very annoying.  I have 8 cameras and multiple lights in the scene and it's telling me I have none, to add one.  Uh, OK, so I added a distance light, that took care of that complaint but there are literally 8 cameras in the scene and it's not "seeing" any of those?  Weird! 

I think this happens when things are de-synced between Reality and DAZ. Did you try restarting both? (Most likely you did)

Strixowl said:

Is there an Official help thread some place?

The official one is over at runtime DNA ( http://forum.runtimedna.com/forumdisplay.php?322-The-Official-Reality-for-Daz-Studio-Forum ) I've not seen one here just yet.

I tried that light , and mine seems to working, Does it tell you what file is actually missing?

• RAMWolff said:

Check your options in  Reality and make sure you have things selected and turned on or they will not be seen.

• icecrmn said:
    Strixowl said:

The official one is over at runtime DNA ( http://forum.runtimedna.com/forumdisplay.php?322-The-Official-Reality-for-Daz-Studio-Forum ) I've not seen one here just yet.

I tried that light , and mine seems to working, Does it tell you what file is actually missing?

No it didn't but after 3rd download and reinstall it now loads. Go figure. Thank you icecrmn :)

Strixowl said:
    icecrmn said:
    Strixowl said:

No it didn't but after 3rd download and reinstall it now loads. Go figure. Thank you icecrmn :)

you're welcome :)

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

So I bought reality last nite...I'm not using it yet...but I looked in my account under seral numbers and there's one for reality in there....

I thought I was supposed to go to the pretapet web site to get one of those...?  Can someone explain?

So the Reality Render panel says that OpenCL is instlaled and registers the cpu and two graphics cards on my mac, but Lux shuts down when I try to render using Open CL. There is a note that Open CL is not supported on Mac OS...will this change with the OS 10.11 to be released on Sept 30?  Are my two nvidia graphics cards irrelevant until then as far as render/lux goes?

Deke said:

So the Reality Render panel says that OpenCL is instlaled and registers the cpu and two graphics cards on my mac, but Lux shuts down when I try to render using Open CL. There is a note that Open CL is not supported on Mac OS...will this change with the OS 10.11 to be released on Sept 30?  Are my two nvidia graphics cards irrelevant until then as far as render/lux goes?

They're mostly irrelevant since LuxRender and OpenCL don't play well at all. :( You're better off with more CPU cores and threads.

Thanks. Paolo's video on the new features, however, sure makes is sound like OpenCL is great with Lux.

opencl seems to be working fine for me, but I'm on a windows machine with an AMD CPU and GPU, I have an R9-270x.I posted a screen shot earlier of a render I was getting 1.5 million samples per second with.Thats not really all that bad,,I don't think so anyway.

From what I've seen so far, the better your light setup, the faster it gets.Here's one of the scene I'm doing now,,it's a simple one,,I'v not worked on anything more complexe yet,,I'm saving that for the weekend.

current.jpg
    1918 x 1040 - 284K

The open cl problem is just with Mac's. The OS doesn't support it or something. Hoping that will chane with the upcoming OS.

Oh, weird. I have an nVidia card and I get no shortage of grief with Reality and OpenCL :/

edited September 2015
    icecrmn said:
    vwrangler said:

hmm,,you're right,,I'm seeing that as well.

Weird thing is that it's not consistent. One figure, no lips. Next image, no problem with lips. Difference between the renders, as far as I can tell (well, apart from one being G3F and the other G2M, but Reality can tell what's going on there) is that the G2M figure had no specular maps in his lips because the texture had been "flattened" by Wet and Tanned Skins. (Reality can't tell what that's supposed to be doing, by the by. Also, Iray water shaders have a tendency to get converted to Reality/Lux water shaders -- which is good -- and then render black -- which isn't.)

Also, I've got a render working that has both an HDR and a single spotlight, and the light in the render keeps flaring. Hugely bright along one side -- where the spotlght is, and the light from the HDR is not -- and then it'll settle, and then it flares again. I think it's going to be OK, but it's really weird to watch.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • MoussoMousso Posts: 237

I didnt have problems with installing, but boost, openCL and accelerated gives me a black scene even after 5 minutes. CPU no acceleration works fine. I dont like the G3 material convertion from iray to lux, she's shiny as a car but that can be fixed. So far I dont see the speed increase either. The multiple material editing is back which is nice. Sadly no UV map viewer so I had to keep R2.5 yet again.

edited September 2015

Looks like there may be one other change. I'd been rendering an image for a couple of hours on CPU accelerated, and it had approached 1000 S/p.  I tweaked a light setting, and suddenly it was back to 30 S/p. Apparently, just like Iray now, if you change one of the Imaging parameters, it effectively starts the render over, even though it doesn't look like it. And then I tweaked it again, and it dropped to 0.15 S/p. Lux didn't always do that, did it? I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed a several hours' render suddenly needing to start itself over again.

Weird thing is, the image itself doesn't look like it's starting over, which Iray does.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Scavenger said:

So I bought reality last nite...I'm not using it yet...but I looked in my account under seral numbers and there's one for reality in there....

I thought I was supposed to go to the pretapet web site to get one of those...?  Can someone explain?

If you bought it here at DAZ 3D, the serial number will be in My Account > Serial Numbers.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    Scavenger said:

If you bought it here at DAZ 3D, the serial number will be in My Account > Serial Numbers.

Thanks Jimmy!

• Chanteur-de-VentChanteur-de-Vent Posts: 566
    edited September 2015

Hi all,

I've read the whole thread through and still can't find an answer: how much faster is Reality to Iray if you compare the CPU-only modes?

My personal configuration is: an Intel Core i3-4130 CPU 3.40GHz, 8GB of RAM and an onboard AMD CrossFireX graphics card (from the GIGABYTE GA-Z97P-D3 motherboard). Since I have an AMD graphics card I can't use GPU mode for Iray, and always render in CPU mode. On the average my renders with standard settings (5000 samples) take 2-3 hours. A decent GPU card costs 150 euros, the Reality plugin at the moment is 17.98 with my Rev-Up discount. 

So, my two questions:

1.How much faster is Reality CPU-mode vs Iray CPU-mode? (The only mention I've seen in numbers is that it's around 50 minutes for Intel i7, which is not very promising.)

2.Would I be able to use my small-bad-onboard GPU with Reality? Or would it be a total disaster, since it's too small/bad/onboard?

Bobvan said:

Ok cpu accelerated rendered https://www.flickr.com/photos/37909888@N05/21009973883/in/dateposted-public/ cpu only approx 45 to 50 minutes with sss taken off. https://www.flickr.com/photos/37909888@N05/21444376539/in/dateposted-public/ GPU gets strange artifacts. I can render with iray 10 to 15 minutes.  My config  https://www.flickr.com/photos/37909888@N05/21008299104/in/dateposted-public/

nDelphi said:

Your processor has more than the basic needed for the new features in LuxRender 1.5. You should be seeing better results than what you are showing.

Post edited by Chanteur-de-Vent on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,849
    edited September 2015
    1.How much faster is Reality CPU-mode vs Iray CPU-mode? (The only mention I've seen in numbers is that it's around 50 minutes for Intel i7, which is not very promising.)

I saw a speed increase myself. I haven't rendered anything much than the test comparison I posted here. There was a high increase in speed, I am talking about minutes as compared to hours, but can't give you the exact times. Don't look at the SPs, they are different from previous LuxRenders. Look at how fast the image is starting to clear.

2.Would I be able to use my small-bad-onboard GPU with Reality? Or would it be a total disaster, since it's too small/bad/onboard?

Someone else will have to answer this one. Although I have my doubts about this one.

Your processor has more than the basic needed for the new features in LuxRender 1.5. You should be seeing better results than what you are showing.

My processor has only up to SSE4A and I am seeing an increase in speed. Whereas bobvan's processor has SSE4.1, SSE4.2, and AVX. He has everything going for him, he should be doing better than me speedwise.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • icecrmn said:
    Strixowl said:

there wont be an "official" on here, there can be an "unofficial" one here but Paolo has stated on many occasions that it's not possible for him to be on several forums at once.
    For functionality or tech support where you want him or the other devs to chime in you should go to runtimedna for now.

Here's that test render I was running last night.

on average it was getting 1k samples per hour in opencl mode with CPU+GPU, I stopped it at 7.63k this morning when I got up.

I think it turned out rather well, besides the lips,,,I'll have to work on that later..

reality_scene_SSS_test_4.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
  • Okay, a couple of issues that I have run into. One I found a resolution to, the other is just annoying.

1. Keeps prompting me to register the software. I've registered it four times now. There doesn't seem to be a pattern, rhyme, or reason to when the registration becomes invalid. Just suddenly is.

2. Open CL rendering. Extremely fast, but I needed to do a bit of trouble shooting to get it to work.

Out of the box it was throwing an error every time I tried to use it:
    RUNTIME ERROR: OpenCL device selection string has the wrong length, must be 3 instead of 2

​I tracked this error down to the following line in the .LXS LuxRender Scene File:
    "opencl.devices.select = 01"

I am running on a laptop, with two video cards, so your mileage may vary. My specific configuration is an oboard video card plus a GeForce GTX 980M.

If I change the above line to:
    "opencl.devices.select = 001"

Then everything works. It appears that the first digit is my CPU (0 for off, 1 for on), the second digit is the onboard GPU, the third digit is the GeForce GPU.

If I turn on any combination of the above, LuxRender throws an error or renders a blank, black scene. With just the GPU on, the render flies at 1-3 Mbyte samples per second.