Reality 4.1 - September 21st

Comments

• Jack238Jack238 Posts: 117

Hi

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I got Reality 4.1 downloaded and installed. I just downloaded and installed the newest Nvidia driver for my video card and that seemed to help. Most of the help was from the PDF manual. I have lots more reading to do but had to try a render so many interrelated factors.

It certainly renders faster than the previous versions. Hopefully, I uploaded a Reality 4.1 render using V4 and Sun and sky and one mesh light. 

V4 for testing scaled.png
    1200 x 1500 - 2M
  • mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

I've gone to the rdna site where the forums seems to be the official place for this plugin, especially to report bugs. Based on my personal experience and what I've seen over there, this product is a mess. Now, if they could fix the half dozen critical bugs that people are encountering, wouldn't be so bad. But right now, it's just not ready. The CPU rendering is quite amazing if you can get it to work though. Extremely fast.

The only bug I've encountered was checking OpenCL boost and having that throw an error when I tried to do bidirectional in CPU...? o_o?

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    Bobvan said:

I still cant d/l it what BS

Where are you downloading it from? RDNA? DAZ?

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Taking advantage of today's sale, I grabbed Reality....I can wait a few days for the whole download/regerster stuff, right?

• I've been playing around with iray, and while I love the way it renders skin, I find the noise in larger environments really frustrating. Is it worth looking at luxrender to solve this? So say render the people in iray and the environments in lux, and then composite them in Photoshop. 

• i just bought reality 4.1 and i am just baffled over the incompetence regarding information about installing and registering reality 4.1 software...i get server errors and i cant register it, therefore cant use it...NO info ANYWHERE about how to go forth step by step about these things, not even here on daz studio page, this is weak! i pay so much money for all kinds of stuff and this is...omg i cant describe the frustration, now if there is no solution to this i want my money back, the poor information "thing" is showing elsewhere too...

There is a pdf explaining all in the download.

• RAMWolff said:
    Decoyboy said:
    RAMWolff said:

Tried accessing ANY page on his website.  Still getting the server error notices.  Tried on Cyberfox and Edge Browser.  Same thing...

I downloaded from daz since I bought reality 4 there. Looked for it in product list and it said 4.1, Did a manual download. I tried his website for 5 hours and got errors. 

Great suggestion but my only purchase of Reality was 1.25 and it's still only offering that version.  All day I was out of the house because it was too darned hot to be inside so I come back all these hours later and his servers are still slammed.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

You could up grade for $14, if you think the price worth it to jump the free upgrade que and get it now. I did as I had an initial R2 form Renderosity, buying R4 direct from Paolo. It was $14 well spent to stop the frustrations of not being able to downlaod all last night and do some renders instead.

• Got Reality for the first time. Now it looks like only stand alone program is installed and I can't find neither the plug-in in DAZ nor props like mesh lights etc. The paths during installation seemed to be correct. Can anyone tell me how I can check whether I do have a plug-in installed and if not what might be the problem and how to fix it. Want a simple check from experienced people before submitting a ticket. Thanks a lot!

• Got Reality for the first time. Now it looks like only stand alone program is installed and I can't find neither the plug-in in DAZ nor props like mesh lights etc. The paths during installation seemed to be correct. Can anyone tell me how I can check whether I do have a plug-in installed and if not what might be the problem and how to fix it. Want a simple check from experienced people before submitting a ticket. Thanks a lot!

If you go to render you should have the reality option.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,850

I don't like the integration of LuxRender with Reality 4.1. What happens if an upgrade to LuxRender happens tomorrow. How easy will it be to keep LuxRender updated, separate from Reality? I am not liking this. I guess if LuxRender gets updated we probably have to wait while Paolo's servers are rushed again just to get the entire Reality updated package?

• nDelphi said:

I don't like the integration of LuxRender with Reality 4.1. What happens if an upgrade to LuxRender happens tomorrow. How easy will it be to keep LuxRender updated, separate from Reality? I am not liking this. I guess if LuxRender gets updated we probably have to wait while Paolo's servers are rushed again just to get the entire Reality updated package?

As far as I know, Reality 4.1 is the upgrade for the newly released luxrender 1.5.

For 1.6 or whatever, there will be a long window of beta releases, which will give them enough time to create a reality 4.2 to match. Whether that 4.2 will be a free upgrade is another story entirely. 

• aspinaspin Posts: 219

I guess you can just replace the luxrender files in their new location. So I would not worry too much.

To check on any plugin, go to Help > About Installed Plugins, and you should find Reality there, mine is listed as 'Reality DS'    It should have a 'green'  plug symbol beside it if it has ionstalled properly.

The Lights/Props etc, should be installed in C:\Users\<Your Username>\Documents\Reality\  and you should add that as a path in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager so that DS can see it.

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately there is no Reality option in Render in DAZ. I hoped it was a problem of registration (due to overloaded servers I couldn't register Reality). But something else has gone wrong. I guess I can try to re-install it and see if it helps.

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately there is no Reality option in Render in DAZ. I hoped it was a problem of registration (due to overloaded servers I couldn't register Reality). But something else has gone wrong. I guess I can try to re-install it and see if it helps.

Nope, re-installing didn't help :( I see Reality DS in plug-ins of DAZ showing me the green indicator. But no sign of Reality whereever else. Or was it 007 version (kidding).

• You should see Reality in the Render options in the top menu bar, is that where you are looking.  (NOT in Render Settings)

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458

I know it's no consolation for those experiencing problems... but 4.1 is working great on my machine - incidentally after initial install, I did have to reboot DAZ Studio twice before Reality Render Editor appeared as an option in the Render menu drop-down, but everything running perfect after that (Windows 7).

• You should see Reality in the Render options in the top menu bar, is that where you are looking.  (NOT in Render Settings)

Aha! So it follows the different logic. Indeed I was looking under Engine of Render Settings. But it is in Render Options. Thanks JimmyC_2009. It's there indeed. Let's see if it all works now.

aspin said:

I guess you can just replace the luxrender files in their new location. So I would not worry too much.

I just finally was able to install it and see for myself. I see the lux folder in the Reality folder. Looks like a simple copy over those files if LuxRender gets an update.

So far I like the speed. My CPU only has SSE3 and SSE4A.

I do see differences. Here is a scene done with the previous Reality/LuxRender setup and the new Reality 4.1/LuxRender 1.5.

The new image looks blockier (more digitized) and also the lighting is behaving differently. I am using one HDRI for lighting and as you can see is in the same exact spot. I changed nothing in the scene except to save the output ino a new folder so it didn't get poluted by the previous LuxRender output files.

Lux_Comparison.jpg
    1800 x 900 - 172K
  • Did you have extra boost ticked?

That makes the render a little bit more bias.

Did you have extra boost ticked?

Yes, I do. I will do a test without and see.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947

Still stuffed.  Downloaded 4.1 (from DAZ), installed, re-installed, deleted, re-installed, and it works.  Well, Reality starts and calls the 'built-in' LuxRedner when prompted to do so.  There the good news ends.  It does not export any geometry so LuxRender either reports an error (nothing to render) or only renders the IBL.  And it only renders the IBL with the CPU-no acceleration mode.

I like the product, I really do, had it since version 1.  But I have to say I am getting a liitle bit ticked off with the install 'process' and it putting stuff where it wants to, and not remembering previous install info.

nDelphi said:

Did you have extra boost ticked?

Yes, I do. I will do a test without and see.

I am rendering a test without the extra boost and it fixed the digitized look of the image, but the lighting has remained the same. It seem there is a difference in lighting with LuxRender 1.5 and the older ones.

• Interesting, I'll look out for that but I haven't done anything comparative yet so I hadn't noticed.

edited September 2015

Interesting, I'll look out for that but I haven't done anything comparative yet so I hadn't noticed.

Yeah, I would like to see other people here do comparisons. Making sure it is an older scene and that nothing is changed in the scene itself.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • Before I installed 4.1, I had a folder in Plugins that was called Reality, I renamed it to Reality2, but I had endless problems with 4.1 not working at all.

I finally removed the Reality2 folder from Plugins and stored it in a temp folder, now it all works as expected.  

Thanks for this info JimmyC, I've just removed that folder from plugins and now actually have a render appearing instead of empty scene/no light errors.

• SimonJM said:

Still stuffed.  Downloaded 4.1 (from DAZ), installed, re-installed, deleted, re-installed, and it works.  Well, Reality starts and calls the 'built-in' LuxRedner when prompted to do so.  There the good news ends.  It does not export any geometry so LuxRender either reports an error (nothing to render) or only renders the IBL.  And it only renders the IBL with the CPU-no acceleration mode.

I like the product, I really do, had it since version 1.  But I have to say I am getting a liitle bit ticked off with the install 'process' and it putting stuff where it wants to, and not remembering previous install info.

Have a look at hte htread by Malaeus just above this.   I had the same problems untill I moved the old Reality folder out of plugins, now it works as expected

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947
    SimonJM said:

Have a look at hte htread by Malaeus just above this.   I had the same problems untill I moved the old Reality folder out of plugins, now it works as expected

I was wondering if that may help, so shall give it a whirl, thanks.

• Malaeus said:

Before I installed 4.1, I had a folder in Plugins that was called Reality, I renamed it to Reality2, but I had endless problems with 4.1 not working at all.

I finally removed the Reality2 folder from Plugins and stored it in a temp folder, now it all works as expected.  

Thanks for this info JimmyC, I've just removed that folder from plugins and now actually have a render appearing instead of empty scene/no light errors.

Ok, seems to be working, if in doubt make sure to dabble with adding a reality light. 634 threads in an hour on this render, let it run longer to reduce/eliminate noise in dark areas. I'm recommending anyone who has v2.5 installed just to clear it out of the way, tbh when did you last actually use it? Seems to be a culprit in my conflicts anyhow - thanks again JimmyC for the original advice smiley

Studio spotlight v6 closeup CPU accel 1hr 634 threads.png
    720 x 1280 - 1M
  • TrixterMatrixTrixterMatrix Posts: 40
    edited September 2015

Malaeus said:
    Malaeus said:

Before I installed 4.1, I had a folder in Plugins that was called Reality, I renamed it to Reality2, but I had endless problems with 4.1 not working at all.

Ok, seems to be working, if in doubt make sure to dabble with adding a reality light. 634 threads in an hour on this render, let it run longer to reduce/eliminate noise in dark areas. I'm recommending anyone who has v2.5 installed just to clear it out of the way, tbh when did you last actually use it? Seems to be a culprit in my conflicts anyhow - thanks again JimmyC for the original advice smiley

Wow :O

I've just got my own reality 4.1 and my rendering results are as if i'm still viewing in texture shaded ;-; 

what setup/tweaks did you make to get this result ? 

Post edited by TrixterMatrix on