The big announcement on September 21, 2022 - place your bets!

Comments

• I think the character looks amazing and I'm excited to see how far some of the great PA's we have here can go with it, but I am bummed I didn't hear anything about the rig and if there has been an update to IK. 

• ll still be supporting G8 for what looks like a long while. Might do some sets or convert older sets to G9. Depends on the load of my system but so far I won't be convinced until I see how it works on my end.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,308

I didn't get my hopes up too high, but am pleased enough with the announcement of Genesis 9. I always opt-in early and drink all the Kool-Aid DAZ offers. <LOL>  If I'm being honest, though, the "freebie" for tuning in was a little anti-climactic.  I did make myself chuckle out loud with, "Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine."    (Ref: Christmas Story)

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    edited September 2022

bluejaunte said:

Wonderland said:

I didn't really see that much improvements from a user side. My favorite PAs like Mousso already create great realism and I have like a zillion morphs and expressions and ways to make them myself. But now that I see it won't work on my system, I'm sad because the PAs will stop making G8 stuff. I already have everything I'll ever need in my lifetime but I guess not buying new content will allow me to save up for a better graphics card. I was excited about the ability to create animals but it seems only PAs will be able to do that anyway. I guess I will have plenty of more time to work on art rather than shop for new stuff. I'm assuming all PAs will now make characters exclusively for G9. I hope not. I actually do this for a living and can't afford a new system so I doubt most hobbyists can. Although they probably have "real" jobs and make more money than me as an artist lol. 

Why wouldn't it work on your system though?

I only have a 1080ti. Anything above DS beta 4.14 crashes. And the whole program is soooo slow! Takes over 10 minutes for DS to launch and 30-50 minutes just for a G8 character to load, several minutes just to find something in smart content, several minutes to save. DS 4.15 crashes immediately with just one naked G8.1 character and hair with iRay preview. I didn't dare try 4.20 which is supposed to be slower and crash more. DS is barely usable as it is for me. Maybe DS 4.21 will fix things but I'm not going to hold my breath. 

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

Comparison with Genesis 8.1.

I had to raise the outfit up to cover the area but it gives an idea about the difference in zeroed position.

comparison with g8.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 161K
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    She looks realistic and I'm sure she'll move and pose more naturally, but once there are clothes involved...
    Screenshot_20220921-202404.png
    909 x 1357 - 746K
  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

I don't do closeups so I don't need 8K skins but some of the G9 expressions look much better than G8. The proportional height/large/small whole body morphs also look good.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am assuming there will still be a free base figure

believe or not I still don't own G8.1 Victoria or Michael and no wish to

Yes it should be in 4.21Jay said

Outfit fitted to genesis 8 then morphed in zbrush to fit. Had to be a morph as when I updated the mesh it was raised up. Would probably work if not raised up prior though. Too early I need more coffee.

The reality is the new figure will be like any other figure that's been introduced. Eventually people will swap over to it or find work arounds if their machines don't cope with high ram.

Can anyone remember the size on the elite textures for v4?

fitted to and morphed to fit fwnwaia 8.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 160K
  • So she's the same species as Odo of DS9

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,388

Catherine3678ab said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am assuming there will still be a free base figure

believe or not I still don't own G8.1 Victoria or Michael and no wish to

AFAIK, yes.

Yes the base is free as usual. You will need to purchase V9 and M9 also as usual.

• Well, I attended most of the presentation but did have to leave a bit earlier. I never did see it in chat but I was paying attention to Jay and not really looking at the chat. So, I guess I'm just SOL on the free item. Thanks DAZ for a whole lot of nothing.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,816
    edited September 2022

Wonderland said:

bluejaunte said:

Wonderland said:

I didn't really see that much improvements from a user side. My favorite PAs like Mousso already create great realism and I have like a zillion morphs and expressions and ways to make them myself. But now that I see it won't work on my system, I'm sad because the PAs will stop making G8 stuff. I already have everything I'll ever need in my lifetime but I guess not buying new content will allow me to save up for a better graphics card. I was excited about the ability to create animals but it seems only PAs will be able to do that anyway. I guess I will have plenty of more time to work on art rather than shop for new stuff. I'm assuming all PAs will now make characters exclusively for G9. I hope not. I actually do this for a living and can't afford a new system so I doubt most hobbyists can. Although they probably have "real" jobs and make more money than me as an artist lol. 

I only have a 1080ti. Anything above DS beta 4.14 crashes. And the whole program is soooo slow! Takes over 10 minutes for DS to launch and 30-50 minutes just for a G8 character to load, several minutes just to find something in smart content, several minutes to save. DS 4.15 crashes immediately with just one naked G8.1 character and hair with iRay preview. I didn't dare try 4.20 which is supposed to be slower and crash more. DS is barely usable as it is for me. Maybe DS 4.21 will fix things but I'm not going to hold my breath. 

I also have a 1080ti and Im on DS 4.20.0.17 with no issues or crashes (doesnt run slow on launch or for G8 for me either and I have a fairly large character/shape list - though you may have more than me)

But are you maybe missing an update for your graphics card or something? Have you tried doing a fresh install of the drivers in case?  Or maybe a Ram issue?

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • any idea on when 4.21 is gonna drop?

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

Wonderland said:

bluejaunte said:

Wonderland said:

Excellent card still with plenty of VRAM. This all doesn't sound right, have you tried working this out with a support ticket? I mean, you're gonna have to fix that sooner or later, software never stands still. What does the log say? Help > Trouble Shooting > View log file in Daz Studio. Maybe it gives a clue about what is making it crash?

Definitely try latest versions. Just backup your 4.14 folder first, if all fails you can always return to that.

• Pendraia said:

Outfit fitted to genesis 8 then morphed in zbrush to fit. Had to be a morph as when I updated the mesh it was raised up. Would probably work if not raised up prior though. Too early I need more coffee.

The reality is the new figure will be like any other figure that's been introduced. Eventually people will swap over to it or find work arounds if their machines don't cope with high ram.

The Elite Texture was "only" (4096 x 4096)

• 3DRT3DRT Posts: 61
    edited September 2022

The new figure looks good, but I'm disappointed by the lack of backwards compatiblity (legacy UV's, morph and pose converters etc) Until there's a tool that allows me to port over my large library of G8 characters, I don't think I'll be investing much into G9.

Post edited by 3DRT on
  • LeticiaLeticia Posts: 126
    edited September 2022

The converters will show up.  I'm sure, for instance, Riversoft and Sickleyield are already working their magic.  Among others.

Also it's looking like pose conversion is baked in from what the video showed.

Post edited by Leticia on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,816
    edited September 2022

barbult said:

DAZ_ann0314 said:

fred9803 said:

I missed what he said about the polygon count/density for G9. I think it's more dense?

The comments made about that were here: 

(Just in case you wanted to rewatch what was stated so far about the polycount etc though an exact number wasn't given but some other info was that may be useful) (Link takes you to that point in time on the video)

The link goes to the beginning of the session for me.

Its at about 42 minutes in where he discussed that smiley (sorry about that..I think its something weird with the way the forum translates the link)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • There's one things I'm confused by and one thing I'm really saddened by.

Confused at what's "different" about G9 that fixes the issue with content creation that we were always told was what doomed Genesis 1.

And why oh why did we keep the same base arm pose? Upper body clothing has been horrible to work with because the arms are so close to the armpit. I've had to return many items here because the vendor was sloppy when they made a shirt, jacket, sweater and the mesh would just tear horribly when you moved the arms. I would have really thought they would have gone back to the T pose for base pose.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,308

Leticia said:

The converters will show up.  I'm sure, for instance, Riversoft and Sickleyield are already working their magic.  Among others.

Also it's looking like pose conversion is baked in from what the video showed.

I thought I heard Jay say that the PA MyManFriday had created something to convert poses - it just LOOKS incorporated into DAZ. I'm pretty sure you still have to buy the product. I haven't regretted a single purchase of most of MyManFriday's stuff though, so it will be a no-brainer, no hesitation purchase..

Twilight76 said:

Pendraia said:

The Elite Texture was "only" (4096 x 4096)

Thanks, given that Victoria 4 had a much denser mesh and most machines would have a lot more ram on the video cards as well as the system I'm sure most will cope. If not I'm sure there will be workarounds like lowering the size of the textures maps a bit...

MeneerWolfman said:

There's one things I'm confused by and one thing I'm really saddened by.

Confused at what's "different" about G9 that fixes the issue with content creation that we were always told was what doomed Genesis 1.

And why oh why did we keep the same base arm pose? Upper body clothing has been horrible to work with because the arms are so close to the armpit. I've had to return many items here because the vendor was sloppy when they made a shirt, jacket, sweater and the mesh would just tear horribly when you moved the arms. I would have really thought they would have gone back to the T pose for base pose.

The pecs/breast area is larger than the original genesis. So when morphing to female there's less change than before but I would like to know what else there might be also.

That said I loved the original genesis and it was the first figure I managed to create any clothing for. I'm looking forward to playing with Genesis 9 in zbrush...

3DRT said:

The new figure looks good, but I'm disappointed by the lack of backwards compatiblity (legacy UV's, morph and pose converters etc) Until there's a tool that allows me to port over my large library of G8 characters, I don't think I'll be investing much into G9.

Give it a few months and someone will release a product that does that for different figures.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,823
    edited September 2022

denser mesh is a good thing for those sculpting morphs who are not PAs

I also like the unimesh like Genesis 1

it might be the only reason I will eventually buy into it

(and skip 8.1 entirely)

but it's a while off and I am not the target customer (one with money)

hell they still haven't convinced me to join DAZ+ again this entire year cheeky

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

denser mesh is a good thing for those sculpting morphs who are not PAs

I also like the unimesh like Genesis 1

it might be the only reason I will eventually buy into it

(and skip 8.1 entirely)

but it's a while off and I am not the target customer (one with money)

Me either Wendy but we can have fun with the base figure and people will always release freebies.

That said I'm more excited about this new figure than any of the others since the original genesis...unimesh is back! Yay!

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

benniewoodell said:

I think the character looks amazing and I'm excited to see how far some of the great PA's we have here can go with it, but I am bummed I didn't hear anything about the rig and if there has been an update to IK. 

An IK /FK switcher  is more a core application feature than a specific figure Feature.

those facial expression look great though.

• Pendraia said:

That said I'm more excited about this new figure than any of the others since the original genesis...unimesh is back! Yay!

heart *throws confetti* 

• PrefoXPrefoX Posts: 237
    edited September 2022

3DRT said:

you can only make bigger improvements without backwards compatibility. its pretty much impossible to autoconvert UV maps, morphs are going to be hard because its a complete different mesh and morphs are targerted to specific vertices. DAZ has put a ton of work into gen9, it is a huge leap and that will pay out in the end.

Post edited by PrefoX on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited September 2022

IgnisSerpentus said:

As far as ppl worrying it wont work on their machines. Ive got a 1080 (not even a ti) and its not laggy at all. Im quite used to handling goads of poly, far higher than g9's base. So id say unless ur machine is extremely old, and u have probs with hair models now that are hp... u should be fine

I watched the presentation and Jay answered the question about PC requirements by saying that G9 should render fine on existing and older GPUs but went on to say that if you have more than one G9 in your scenes you might need to upgrade or find a workaround (optimizing maps, I think). I have a 3090 so have plenty of VRAM but I had an 8GB card previous to this one and it would drop to CPU with 3xG8 characters in the scene. I'm guessing that Jay is right and that will happen with more than one G9.

Post edited by marble on