The big announcement on September 21, 2022 - place your bets!

Comments

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited September 2022

Since I love kitbashing, one unisex mesh is a great idea. Too many times I had an alien or a monster hd morph I wanted to use, except on a different gender.

I might end using G9 predominantly for oddball characters and boring hoomans will stay G8+. 8k textures can always be scaled down. Because Scene Optimizer will handle it as any other texture in the scene.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • M-CM-C Posts: 102
    edited September 2022

While Victoria 9 indeed looks great, I must admit I'm a bit disappointed. 
    i'd had expected the new generation of figures would come with at least some of the features people are asking for for years now.
    Things like soft body physics, underlying muscle tissues, soft body physics, a propper and intuitive ik system, soft body physics, animation improvemts and most important... soft body physics. 

I know some if not all of these things wound require an update to Daz Studio itself but that is part of my disappointment. 
    Since the first announcement of DS 5 more than a year has passed now and a first look was actually promised for around christmas 2021. I'd actually have expected to get at least an alpha of DS 5 along with Genesis 9 to make use of the new features.

Well, maybe I simply expected too much. 

Post edited by M-C on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,165

The expectation/demand that so many people seem to have that G9 is fully compatible with previous generations is just weird as hell to me. I started using DS during the G8 era, and I always assumed that G8 would eventually be superseded by something. If Daz is releasing a new generation of figures (or figure, as the case is with G9), I would much rather they prioritize whatever makes the figure better than previous generations than try to make it backwards compatible, because those goals are very much at odds with each other where 3D models are concerned.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Gordig said:

The expectation/demand that so many people seem to have that G9 is fully compatible with previous generations is just weird as hell to me. I started using DS during the G8 era, and I always assumed that G8 would eventually be superseded by something. If Daz is releasing a new generation of figures (or figure, as the case is with G9), I would much rather they prioritize whatever makes the figure better than previous generations than try to make it backwards compatible, because those goals are very much at odds with each other where 3D models are concerned.

I have to agree ;). We've been spoiled by Genesis 8. It had more compatibility than most, but that was also because G8 was SO similar to G3. Most subsequent figures don't have much backward compatibility from the previous version and it's been that way since Victoria 2.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

DAZ_ann0314 said:

Wonderland said:

bluejaunte said:

Wonderland said:

I didn't really see that much improvements from a user side. My favorite PAs like Mousso already create great realism and I have like a zillion morphs and expressions and ways to make them myself. But now that I see it won't work on my system, I'm sad because the PAs will stop making G8 stuff. I already have everything I'll ever need in my lifetime but I guess not buying new content will allow me to save up for a better graphics card. I was excited about the ability to create animals but it seems only PAs will be able to do that anyway. I guess I will have plenty of more time to work on art rather than shop for new stuff. I'm assuming all PAs will now make characters exclusively for G9. I hope not. I actually do this for a living and can't afford a new system so I doubt most hobbyists can. Although they probably have "real" jobs and make more money than me as an artist lol. 

Why wouldn't it work on your system though?

I only have a 1080ti. Anything above DS beta 4.14 crashes. And the whole program is soooo slow! Takes over 10 minutes for DS to launch and 30-50 minutes just for a G8 character to load, several minutes just to find something in smart content, several minutes to save. DS 4.15 crashes immediately with just one naked G8.1 character and hair with iRay preview. I didn't dare try 4.20 which is supposed to be slower and crash more. DS is barely usable as it is for me. Maybe DS 4.21 will fix things but I'm not going to hold my breath. 

I also have a 1080ti and Im on DS 4.20.0.17 with no issues or crashes (doesnt run slow on launch or for G8 for me either and I have a fairly large character/shape list - though you may have more than me)

But are you maybe missing an update for your graphics card or something? Have you tried doing a fresh install of the drivers in case?  Or maybe a Ram issue?

Wow, really? I always update to the newest NVIDIA studio driver but I have a LOT of content. I think every set of morphs ever sold, some from PAs who are no longer at DAZ and TONS of characters, expressions, a ridiculous amount of products. I only have 16GB RAM but I'm constantly releasing RAM with Norton Utilities. Do you think more RAM will make a difference? Everything else runs fine, Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, VR PC games... DS is the only program I have a problem with. 

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,323

Pendraia said:

So I'm looking at the bundle for Victoria 9 and it doesn't list what's included. Does anyone know when that will be announced or should I look at preordering the base figure?

I'm not spending $111.99 without knowing what I'm buying...

For this reason I have only pre-ordered V9 (which I like!) But if the bundle contains mostly cyberpunk, skimpwear or overdecorated fantasy stuff, $80 is out the window.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982
    edited September 2022

Gordig said:

The one thing why some folks want some form backwards compatibility, is with the content they have acquired over the years that being mainly clothing, hair and character morphs. And that last bit character morphs is a big one for many, they may have a character they love using a lot but the base character generation that the character is based on may have some limitations.

They then see that the next newer base character generation has some things they love, and as such want to port their favourite character to that new generation. This is why there are products that make it a bit easier to do this.

The thing with Genesis 9 after watching a bit of the announcement video, that may make this a bit more difficult is how they have changed where the main facial features such as eyes and mouth are in the figures tree they are no longer under the head sub tree like it has been for years.

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

Gordig said:

Actually the original genesis had the most compatibility, alternative uv's for all millennium 4 figures and autofit for millennium 3 and 4. They reduced the amount of compatibility since then imo... that said if you have skills with a modelling program clothing is easily compatible with any figure. Creating alternative uv's requires a lot more skill. 

Most people don't have a lot of cash to spare so being able to use their previous investment is important to them. 

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

caravelle said:

Pendraia said:

So I'm looking at the bundle for Victoria 9 and it doesn't list what's included. Does anyone know when that will be announced or should I look at preordering the base figure?

I'm not spending $111.99 without knowing what I'm buying...

For this reason I have only pre-ordered V9 (which I like!) But if the bundle contains mostly cyberpunk, skimpwear or overdecorated fantasy stuff, $80 is out the window.

I haven't pre ordered anything yet despite being very excited about genesis 9.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Wonderland said:

Wow, really? I always update to the newest NVIDIA studio driver but I have a LOT of content. I think every set of morphs ever sold, some from PAs who are no longer at DAZ and TONS of characters, expressions, a ridiculous amount of products. I only have 16GB RAM but I'm constantly releasing RAM with Norton Utilities. Do you think more RAM will make a difference? Everything else runs fine, Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, VR PC games... DS is the only program I have a problem with. 

Do you have sufficient room on your C drive (or whatever is your Windows dive)? I found that when I had less than 100GB there, the system began to act wonky when I used DAZ. I have a 980TI card, and no issues with the current version of DS, though I'm using it in Beta.

Ghosty12 said:

Gordig said:

The one thing why some folks want some form backwards compatibility, is with the content they have acquired over the years that being mainly clothing, hair and character morphs. And that last bit character morphs is a big one for many, they may have a character they love using a lot but the base character generation that the character is based on may have some limitations.

They then see that the next newer base character generation has some things they love, and as such want to port their favourite character to that new generation. This is why there are products that make it a bit easier to do this.

The thing with Genesis 9 after watching a bit of the announcement video, that may make this a bit more difficult is how they have changed where the main facial features such as eyes and mouth are in the figures tree they are no longer under the head sub tree like it has been for years.

I'm fully aware of that, and have quite a lot of G8 content myself. I still had no expectation that all my G8 content would work in the next generation.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

M-C said:

I'd actually have expected to get at least an alpha of DS 5 along with Genesis 9 to make use of the new features.

I think he said, "around the corner" for DS5. I suppose it's the same corner we entered more than a year ago with the "Daz Studio 5 development update" thread. That's some mighty corner... the tyres on the left rims are just about bald.

bluejaunte said:

Wonderland said:

bluejaunte said:

Wonderland said:

I didn't really see that much improvements from a user side. My favorite PAs like Mousso already create great realism and I have like a zillion morphs and expressions and ways to make them myself. But now that I see it won't work on my system, I'm sad because the PAs will stop making G8 stuff. I already have everything I'll ever need in my lifetime but I guess not buying new content will allow me to save up for a better graphics card. I was excited about the ability to create animals but it seems only PAs will be able to do that anyway. I guess I will have plenty of more time to work on art rather than shop for new stuff. I'm assuming all PAs will now make characters exclusively for G9. I hope not. I actually do this for a living and can't afford a new system so I doubt most hobbyists can. Although they probably have "real" jobs and make more money than me as an artist lol. 

I only have a 1080ti. Anything above DS beta 4.14 crashes. And the whole program is soooo slow! Takes over 10 minutes for DS to launch and 30-50 minutes just for a G8 character to load, several minutes just to find something in smart content, several minutes to save. DS 4.15 crashes immediately with just one naked G8.1 character and hair with iRay preview. I didn't dare try 4.20 which is supposed to be slower and crash more. DS is barely usable as it is for me. Maybe DS 4.21 will fix things but I'm not going to hold my breath. 

Excellent card still with plenty of VRAM. This all doesn't sound right, have you tried working this out with a support ticket? I mean, you're gonna have to fix that sooner or later, software never stands still. What does the log say? Help > Trouble Shooting > View log file in Daz Studio. Maybe it gives a clue about what is making it crash?

Definitely try latest versions. Just backup your 4.14 folder first, if all fails you can always return to that.

I have several open tickets that they never resolve and when I put in a new ticket, they just combine it with the old tickets and never resolve anything. I basically gave up on CS. Now that I see others with the same card don't have this problem, I guess I'll renew my fight to get this resolved. I had pretty much given up and resigned myself to sticking with the old beta 4.14. 

edited September 2022

Gordig said:

Ghosty12 said:

Gordig said:

I'm fully aware of that, and have quite a lot of G8 content myself. I still had no expectation that all my G8 content would work in the next generation.

But many myself included have more than that. Such as having Victoria 4/Michael 4, Genesis, Genesis 2, Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 content, I would think that many are not expecting to go back too far. But being able to use at least some Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 content on Genesis 9 would be nice.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited September 2022

...yeah, never started at 13:00 (like it said on my reminder notice last night) but 15:00 when i had a meeting with friend scheduled.  Was able to watch, but on the phone which was a real drag as couldn't make out half of what was being aid so just watched the pictures.

...and what were those "critters" crawling across the bottom of the screen all about. Could barely make out what they were except distracting.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Looking at the bundle page https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-9-pre-sale-bundle I had to wonder about the fourth image.. wink lol

• oddboboddbob Posts: 348

Enjoyed the presentation and there looks to be some useful features on the new figure. I'll wait for the catalogue to build up before diving in though.

I'm guessing PAs are working on content?

AllenArt said:

The YouBoob page is telling me that it goes live in 6 hours. That would make it 3PM for me and I'm EDT. The email said 16:00 MDT (which would be 6pm my time). Someone screwed the pooch on this one. So what is it really? Can a mod please check on this maybe?

..yeah like I mentioned, 13:00 for me would have put me in the Marquesas Islands which are part of French Polynesia.

Ghosty12 said:

Gordig said:

Ghosty12 said:

Gordig said:

But many myself included have more than that. Such as having Victoria 4/Michael 4, Genesis, Genesis 2, Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 content, I would think that many are not expecting to go back too far. Being able to use at least some Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 content on Genesis 9 would be nice.

Well, you CAN use at least some G3 and G8 content on G9. There's an included pose converter, and G9 has autofit clones for at least G8. Let me be more clear about the rest: I don't fault anybody for WANTING backwards compatibility. I would like as much backwards compatibility as reasonably possible. However, I also understand that there are technical limitations to compatibility, and I don't want backwards compatibility at the cost of innovation. As I said earlier in the thread, G9 can either be a significant improvement over G8, or it can be fully compatible with G8 content, but it can't be both.

oddbob said:

Enjoyed the presentation and there looks to be some useful features on the new figure. I'll wait for the catalogue to build up before diving in though.

I'm guessing PAs are working on content?

It will be interesting, as it does take some time for content creators to get in on the new base character. Since it won't just be PA's from here, it will be those from other content sites as well.

• Wonderland said:

bluejaunte said:

Wonderland said:

bluejaunte said:

Wonderland said:

Excellent card still with plenty of VRAM. This all doesn't sound right, have you tried working this out with a support ticket? I mean, you're gonna have to fix that sooner or later, software never stands still. What does the log say? Help > Trouble Shooting > View log file in Daz Studio. Maybe it gives a clue about what is making it crash?

Definitely try latest versions. Just backup your 4.14 folder first, if all fails you can always return to that.

I have several open tickets that they never resolve and when I put in a new ticket, they just combine it with the old tickets and never resolve anything. I basically gave up on CS. Now that I see others with the same card don't have this problem, I guess I'll renew my fight to get this resolved. I had pretty much given up and resigned myself to sticking with the old beta 4.14. 

It could be something on your system messing with DS. It could even be a daz plugin. I had antivirus software ages ago that would cause my bootup to lag (and some other programs when opening them) I ended up killing it and using windows av

Gordig said:

Ghosty12 said:

Gordig said:

Ghosty12 said:

Gordig said:

But many myself included have more than that. Such as having Victoria 4/Michael 4, Genesis, Genesis 2, Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 content, I would think that many are not expecting to go back too far. Being able to use at least some Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 content on Genesis 9 would be nice.

Well, you CAN use at least some G3 and G8 content on G9. There's an included pose converter, and G9 has autofit clones for at least G8. Let me be more clear about the rest: I don't fault anybody for WANTING backwards compatibility. I would like as much backwards compatibility as reasonably possible. However, I also understand that there are technical limitations to compatibility, and I don't want backwards compatibility at the cost of innovation. As I said earlier in the thread, G9 can either be a significant improvement over G8, or it can be fully compatible with G8 content, but it can't be both.

Can understand that, and true on the technical limitations will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Seeing as there will be a built in pose converter, then that has my interest peaked indeed.

Ghosty12 said:

Gordig said:

Ghosty12 said:

Gordig said:

Ghosty12 said:

Gordig said:

Can understand that, and true on the technical limitations will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Seeing as there will be a built in pose converter, then that has my interest peaked indeed.

I don't remember Jay saying that the pose converter would be included - only that ManFriday was working on one. I'm gonna assume (and probably correctly) that that would be a separate purchase. So don't get your hopes up...

barbult said:

Why would I want to pay a month early for a bundle of undisclosed content? I haven't even seen any statement about a lower price for preorder. I see a free bikini and a free older hair refit to Genesis 9 with preorder. So according to Jay's video, that means 2 bikinis. What? Can't she wear "regular" clothing, you know, with sleeves and collars and skirts, etc? I think I'll just let the dust settle and play with the G9 before spending any money on V9. She looks good, and I'm sure I'll eventually buy into some G9, even if it is not V9.

It took me a long time to get V8 & V8.1 because I like most PA characters better and didn't really see any advantage to them. I loved V7 but she is so recognizable but I still sometimes dial some of her in other characters and even got V7 for V8. V9 looks pretty recognizable too with the red hair & freckles but I like the morph better than the two V8s. If I ever get my machine capable of using DS 4.21 and V9 I'll probably get it eventually but not at launch. I'm curious to see what Mousso does with G9 but mostly if my machine is capable I want to see if we'll get a set of animal morphs that we can use without the need to depend on PAs creating animals. 

Richard Haseltine said:

Richard Haseltine said:

We have sent in a query on the timing and on qualifying for the freebie. With a side-dish of imprecations.

We are told the email is correct.

...umm like I mentioned I live on the West Coast of the States and the broadcast began at 15:00. The email listed 13:00 as the start time which would be 2 hours west of where I am in the Pacific Ocean. 

My computer's country of origin is set to the States and my profile time zone is PDT which is UTC -7 hrs (one hour behind Utah) so that wouldn't have been the reason. 

The pose converter shown was said to be an add on product by ManFriday

edited September 2022

Oh, and I wanted to mention about the Voss hair. I've been looking at the promo images and it looks to me like the G9 Voss hair may very well be strand based. The original was a polygonal hair, so it may be a completely redone version if anyone thought it was just something we already had. Look at the tips of the hairs. That looks like strand to me. Then again, maybe not ;) One image looked like it might be strand but if I blow it up it does look polygonal. Bummer. Oh well...

Post edited by AllenArt on

Wonderland said:

I'm constantly releasing RAM with Norton Utilities.

Haven't used recent versions but the version of Norton I tried made my PC run like a 3 legged dog. Run as little stuff as possible now, mostly just what's included with Windows.

oddbob said:

Ah, I must have misheard that.

edited September 2022

oddbob said:

Ahh k thank you for the info, will have to see what type of converter it is. If is the type where a load of poses are converted and saved then not sure, if it is like the one Riversoft Art made then more interested.