Show Us Your Iray Renders

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,894
    edited December 1969

I recommend rendering it at 2x size and then reducing in post. It'll help a lot.

• InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
    edited December 1969

InaneGlory, that is so cool. Among almost a hundred products I've yet to see in DS, and I was afraid it wouldn't function at all in Iray. D2D2 being the other. (EDIT, where are the bracers from? I like!)

DAZ_cjones, thanks for the link. Last week most of that appeared to be for 4.7, tho it's been a week, I should look again.
    (EDIT)
    Much improved, thanks DAZ_cjones.

Out of the box the Photo Studio - Point and Shoot 2 & 3 lights don't work and won't work in Iray. If you try to apply the emissive material on them they will just laugh at you and continue on their merry way. :) I've done a little tinkering behind the scenes and have a working set of the lights from all three Point and Shoot sets now but it will be awhile before they are ready for public use as there is a bunch of behind the scenes stuff that needs to be hammered out between then and now.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,508
    edited December 1969

I posted my first semi-serious Iray render on my deviantArt page because it's nude (wasn't my original intention, plus it was intended to be a quick test anyway). My goal was to see if an Iray render could be postworked to look more fantasy-like...and I suppose I did OK. :)

http://fav.me/d8lue55

Thanks!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,026
    edited December 1969

Slowly getting the hang of lights and Iray materials. :)
    FWF Janna HD
    "Pink Guitar"

Pink_Guitar.jpg
    1275 x 1500 - 388K
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

I posted my first semi-serious Iray render on my deviantArt page because it's nude (wasn't my original intention, plus it was intended to be a quick test anyway). My goal was to see if an Iray render could be postworked to look more fantasy-like...and I suppose I did OK. :)

Thanks!

Well done, I think the fantasy look turned out quite well!

edited December 1969

Thanks!

Well done, I think the fantasy look turned out quite well!
    +1

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

Trying to do a ringflash for a halo shadow, didnt work but adds eye catchlights ok

TiaRlight.png
    643 x 552 - 421K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

InaneGlory, that is so cool. Among almost a hundred products I've yet to see in DS, and I was afraid it wouldn't function at all in Iray. D2D2 being the other. (EDIT, where are the bracers from? I like!)

DAZ_cjones, thanks for the link. Last week most of that appeared to be for 4.7, tho it's been a week, I should look again.
    (EDIT)
    Much improved, thanks DAZ_cjones.

Out of the box the Photo Studio - Point and Shoot 2 & 3 lights don't work and won't work in Iray. If you try to apply the emissive material on them they will just laugh at you and continue on their merry way. :) I've done a little tinkering behind the scenes and have a working set of the lights from all three Point and Shoot sets now but it will be awhile before they are ready for public use as there is a bunch of behind the scenes stuff that needs to be hammered out between then and now. lol, I figured the lights would self-destruct as thoroughly as my test chamber did lock stock and barrel, lol. I was also thinking of the backdrops and all the other cool stuff, kind of like others experience with skydomes. There is only so long each day I can put up with looking at them TDK RF-absorber tills, before I want to be some where else, lol.

tjohn, I don't think I ever did a render with Janna that looked that good. :)

I'm in the middle of rigging up a set of spots-lights to replace the soft-box panels for a little CPU-only render time testing.

20150315_IrayEveTest_BoxNoUbers004_ScrnCap.png
    1924 x 1176 - 539K
    20150315_IrayEveTest_BoxNoUbers004_TOTWbacking_3delightTestRender.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,279
    edited December 1969

Thanks!

Nice work

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

I started playing with the shader settings on the Iray Uber that is used for the skin.

Almost no difference here other than it´s a little bit more glossy than the default version.

I find it interesting that there´s so many sliders in this shader that seem to make no difference and doesn´t matter whether I set them to 0 or 20 (mostly the sss stuff).

oly1.png
    500 x 854 - 407K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    Ivy, in the render tab, did you dial "Crush Blacks" back to 0.0 from the default of 0.2?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/782244/

"Tone Mapping" intro for Iray (what is ISO### for, etc). In the "Tips & Tricks for Iray for newbies" thread.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/782511/

I Think we all are just starting out, so what you ask for, a "Basic guide", may not be ready. This is Beta after all. There are a few threads on Iray, SickleYield has a vid and a few tutorials (the last time I looked).

The SickleYield getting started vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5FZ5gS9v50

Lights note that I can't find;
    Lights that only have "Lumen" controls are for Iray only. (And don't work in 3delight).
    Lights that only have "Intensity" control are for 3delight (And don't work in Iray).
    Lights that have both (Photometric Lights)... "Lumen" control is for Iray, and the "Intensity" control is for 3delight.
    So just remember - "Lumen" control is for Iray, and the "Intensity" control is for 3delight.

Not much sleep, need coffee.

Thank you very much for the info.
    I seen SickleYields thread but its not much use for a quick users guide when your looking for a specific setting
    I wanted to learn everything i could about using the light in Iray before I attempt to learn about the shaders, I am kind of surprise there was not a quick user guide.

The thread isn't a starter guide, this is:

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Getting-Started-With-Iray-519725115

There's one about shaders, too:

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Iray-Surfaces-And-What-They-Mean-519346747
    Thanks so much for these resources, SickleYield!

edited March 2015

Toyen said:
    I started playing with the shader settings on the Iray Uber that is used for the skin.

Almost no difference here other than it´s a little bit more glossy than the default version.

I find it interesting that there´s so many sliders in this shader that seem to make no difference and doesn´t matter whether I set them to 0 or 20 (mostly the sss stuff).

I would not be surprised if it was one of the things that are determined by what mode the shader is in (guessing) from what I have read from SickleYield Iray shaders tutorial. Some settings overpower others depending on switches.

That or they feed each-other in some kind of chain, Like a map in the Specular on the Daz Default shader (3delight), tells Reflectivity where on the surface is reflective. And a map in the reflectivity is simply a world map of what gets reflected (like a private skydome).

It's a thought. Nice render by the way DigiDotz and Toyen. And as Scott stated, Thanks SickleYield.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • edited December 1969

This is what I came up with. Overall I would say I like the workflow better than the octane plugin, although there are several features that I miss.

I did run into a bug, however. Sometimes it would switch to CPU rendering if I made a random change to the shader, such as changing a blend mode or setting a property such as bump strength to 0... this would also sometimes trigger it to render as if some phantom light was shining on the scene very brightly as well, and in a few instances it also crashed Daz Studio. I had to restart Daz Studio to remedy this problem and re-establish rendering with GPUs.

Beach_Iray_final.jpg
    872 x 1163 - 223K
  • MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

I saw a couple of items I wanted in the Mid-Month Catch-Up Sale and used them in this render. I also applied some of the techniques that have been mentioned in the various Iray threads.

First I applied the Iray Uber Base Shader to all the textures, and the Iray Optimized Genesis 2 Male MAT to my character texture map.
    I then altered the skin Top Coat Weight and Roughness to the settings recommended by 'pear bear' as quoted below.

pearbear said:
    One thing I’m noticing in the renders I’m seeing of people is that the skin looks somewhat flat and I’m guessing maybe SSS isn’t on the human skin shader?

I've gotten some PMs asking how I got the skin to look shiny in this render. I started with the Iray Optimized Genesis 2 Female MAT. The reason people are having trouble getting specular highlights is that Iray Optimized Genesis 2 Female MAT automatically loads the V6 spec maps into the Top Coat Color for the skin materials, and they are very dark maps, not optimized for Iray. If you remove the spec maps from Top Coat Color so that it is just white, you can then adjust Top Coat Weight and Top Coat Roughness to taste. A good start is .05 for Top Coat Weight and .30 for Top Coat Roughness.

I also applied my newly purchased 'Vascularity HD for Genesis 2 Female(s) and Genesis 2 Male(s)' to the models arms at 30%, remembering to then adjust the Render SubD Level(Minimum) for the G2M character from 1 to 3 so the HD morphs would show up in the render. http://www.daz3d.com/vascularity-hd-for-genesis-2-female-s-and-genesis-2-male-s

The hair is 'Real Short Hair for Genesis 2 Male(s)' http://www.daz3d.com/real-short-hair-for-genesis-2-male-s and renders extremely well in Iray.
    The armpit and body hair is 'REAL Hairy' http://www.daz3d.com/real-hairy which again appears to render very realistically.
    The moustache was part of a package made for Genesis. http://www.daz3d.com/actual-face-hair
    The lighting was a 4 Point Light Rig made by Razor 42 and available for free here. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53797/

00226 iterations after 2486.053s. Total Rendering Time: 42 minutes 51.77 seconds

Hope this description was helpful. :-)

Gabriel.png
    1168 x 811 - 2M
  • KevmannKevmann Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

Just finished my first "full" Iray render, and I couldn't had done it without SickleYield's tutorials.

Some thoughts about it:

- The render took just a little longer than a high quality 3Delight one.
    - The metal shaders are just great, I barely touched them, so even default settings work pretty good.
    - No idea how to achieve a good setting for hair yet.

sm_1.jpg
    882 x 862 - 593K
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited December 1969

Trying a trick from the "tips and tricks" thread, using AoA SSS gummy shader for skin. A good start I think.

Gummy_Skin_Test_1.png
    1229 x 950 - 1M
  • 8eos88eos8 Posts: 170
    edited March 2015

I redid the two images I posted before using AoA_subsurface instead of Iray skin shader. I think they look a bit better now, in my tests the Iray shader renders about 50% faster, but it adds a grayish cast to the skin tone and makes the eyes unnaturally white. Also added a catchlight by putting a torus primitive behind the camera and giving it the emissive material, and fiddled with "Crush Blacks" and "Saturation" under Tone Mapping. Next step is figuring out how to make the hair look better. :)

iray-test3-hd_only-sheen-relit.png
    1000 x 1000 - 923K
    iray-test2a-hd_only-sheen-relit.png
    1000 x 1000 - 912K
    Post edited by 8eos8 on
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Why do most of the skins in the renders look like plastic?
    Reminds me a bit of the old V4 days, where most of the figures had Poser optimized material settings and therefore way too much glossiness.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

XoechZ said:
    Reminds me a bit of the old V4 days, where most of the figures had Poser optimized material settings and therefore way too much glossiness.

Because the figures have 3Delight optimized material settings and people are still learning how to adjust them.... you answered your own question.

edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    XoechZ said:

Because the figures have 3Delight optimized material settings and people are still learning how to adjust them.... you answered your own question.That and lights can also make the same figure look like a Barby doll, so yes, very early on the learning curve.

The spec maps are probably there to distinguish from naturally glossy areas, and ones that are more peach-fuzz (velvet). Still way over my head, I'm still working on basic lights, lol. I'll let the PA's that know how there figures are supposed to look, deal with the skin mats (tho don't expect an instant flood of updates for older figures, assuming the PA's have time for that at all).

What would be really cool, is a converter, that could look at the AoA/Omni skin settings, and apply the proper maps and settings to the Iray one... That may be way off tho. We are still in Beta.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,508
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the nice words. I'm pretty happy with that image and once I was able to stop worrying about trying to make everything as realistic as possible, Iray is really fun and easy to use. I look forward to the shaders and other helpful things that will start appearing once this Studio 4.8 is out of beta. We'll certainly be seeing even more impressive art out of Studio users in the future!

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Are you referring to "Tone Mapping" exposure in the render tab? or the "Lumen" control on the lights? Nice render, I have A3, somewhere, I think :red:

Haha, no; I don't yet know that that even exists!

No, all I did was pull up the spots and turn the intensity way down on each one, especially on the one that hits her square between the eyes. I also had to widen that one a bit to keep from seeing an espresso-cup sized circle of light on her forehead.

Thank you for saying it's a nice render, but I think it's not all that great. Yet! :coolsmirk: She has no real skin texture, the clothing is like a plastic shirt, and her eyes are dark. What I really like however, is HOW THE LIGHT LOOKS, even with all the flaws in that scene.

I think for the next few weeks I'm just going to exclusively work with iray, and even re-render some of my prior pieces; such as my most recent avatar, which should be showing up now. Using it more will just give me more practice, and that's always a good thing.

edited December 1969

Monique 6.

Monique_6_Iray.jpg
    1020 x 1200 - 419K
  • MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited March 2015

Here's both the 3delight (bottom) and iray (top). I added a point light and changed the mirror material and turned off the shadow casting of the walls and mirrors for the iray. (It looks better in a larger size).
    But how do I add a lot more light without burning everything out?

Visible_Man_3delight.jpg
    600 x 375 - 213K
    Visible_Man_iray.jpg
    600 x 375 - 175K
    Post edited by MarcCCTx on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

But how do I add a lot more light without burning everything out?

I would suggest making adjustments in the tone mapping (render settings tab). Change the IOS film setting to 200 or 400. You could also change the aperture or fstop settings. I found by adjusting those I need much lower levels of light on each light in a scene.

• Teddy GTeddy G Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

Free Scanned Woman rendered with HDR. Raw Render and Photoshop Edit.

miacloser2edit.png
    745 x 869 - 947K
    miacloser2.png
    745 x 869 - 968K
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Another test render. Working with starting settings for hair by Hellboy and tweaking. Skin is my tweaks on the DAZ Skin Iray Shader preset.

hair-test-02.jpg
    500 x 650 - 41K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

It is amazing to see that asymmetrical features give more life to a render than the 3D models we use in Daz Studio. This is way many of us want to be able to inject asymmetry ourselves and have done so for quite some time now. Nice work there.
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,526
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    It is amazing to see that asymmetrical features give more life to a render than the 3D models we use in Daz Studio. This is way many of us want to be able to inject asymmetry ourselves and have done so for quite some time now. Nice work there.

Szark, you just created a "PA opportunity", an asymmetric morph set.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Good now someone make one. :)

This discussion has been closed.