Show Us Your Iray Renders

Comments

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

Dumor3D said:
    pearbear said:
    Thank you Pearbear, those look like good HDRs and if they work for you, they're good enough for us. :)

I'm actually not sure if Studio can handle maps larger than 4096 x 4096 without problems.

I'll have to test it out. I was using 10,000 px textures with the Octane for DAZ plugin, hope they work in Iray too.

I have used 14932 x 7466. Of course that is a big image and is loaded to VRAM. I'm finding the common 8000 x 4000 is giving good results without too big of a hit.agreed, that HST image tripled in size, was a mistake. I didn't know about the tiling option in the surface tab then, lol.

So most of the stuff I would love to see on Iray won't go. The bird planet (Wrong gate address) crashed 3delight with 16GB of ram, and that farewell I never finished, did the same attempting to load another figure (with 32GB ram). two hours for an empty room at 640x640 is horrid enough. Having a card gobbling up around 200 watts of my electric bill, that I can't use for my scenes just is a show stopper, lol. I'll still tinker tho, I'll just never do anything as good as others have posted here.
    (EDIT)
    Cypherfox, that render is fantastic.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Alright, I think I finally have the basics figured out. Had a chat with a photographer friend who gave me a "camera settings for dummies" talk and went back into my scene and made some tweaks. Also adjusted a few materials and downloaded the latest driver for my video card - I'd previously avoided doing so because earlier versions were conflicting with something in my setup and causing regular crashes, but I guess they fixed whatever it was.

I let this run for 1h35m - it was only at 60% but it looks pretty good to me so I stopped it there so I can play with some other things. :)

Mark

IRay_Render_06_60percent_1h35m.png
    1134 x 895 - 1M
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Well, I think that's a very good start! Looks nice.

edited March 2015

agreed, very nice improvement.

SY, If I may ask. Iray is faster with many spots, rather then large soft-boxes? I found the fewer lights made 3delight happier (quicker) on a 4-core cpu. Now on an 8-core cpu, and curious if that many lights faster in Iray thing has to do with the overwhelming number of cores on a GPU vs that cowering in the corner CPU?

Yes I'm thinking about replacing them large Omni Uber Area lights with a wall of Photometric ones. Thoughts?
    (converted to Iray emissive shader lights in this screen-cap)

Pending_SlowComp_101.png
    1852 x 1137 - 2M
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2015

I've always had problems with lighting my scenes until I bought AoA's Advanced Lighting bundle. I used AoA Ambient Light in everything.

Enter Iray.

As a newbie with about 6 months playtime with DAZ Studio, I still have a lot to learn without using Iray. So, of course, I've jumped in with both feet!

My first renders were nothing more than taking existing scenes and using Iray to render without making any changes to the objects in the scene. The first image I shared with the girl on the beach is that way. I rendered the same image using the default setting in each of the four environment modes. In spite of doing nothing to optimize the scene for Iray, I think they all look as good or better than they would with 3Delight.

One of the first things I noticed is all but the Scene Only mode require a floor plane and add a background, presumably from the dome. But in Scene Only, you can still render images with transparency. LuxRender couldn't do that, (via Reality, anyway.)

EDIT: I've been playing around in the Environment, trying to work in modes other than Scene Only. I "discovered" on/off buttons for Draw Dome and Draw Ground. Turn off Draw Dome and leave Draw Ground on and you can get transparency around your scene and still get the shadows. Turning both off gets the same transparency as Scene Only. Still experimenting, but I believe you still get the lighting effect with Draw Dome off. (Decided to edit as I didn't want to leave misinformation.)

I started experimenting with the shaders, and applied the G2F shader to my model and did a render. Ugh. She looked really plastic. I now know I needed to apply the Iray Uber Base first, thanks to one of several posts by Sickleyield. (http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Getting-Started-With-Iray-519725115 Part 2. Loading Items And Converting Shaders)

I decided to try to create my own "ambient light" effect and added three cubes with the emissive shader applied. After I found a location for those that gave a pleasant light on the subject, I tried the same with three spheres. Cubes and spheres had identical settings. Spheres are 1 foot in diameter, cubes are 1 foot square. I prefer the light from the cubes.

Unfortunately, I managed to crash DS and discovered I hadn't saved since creating either the cubes or spheres and had to recreate them, as well as any changes to the scene after the emissive lights were created. :(

Here they are:

1) Close up of the model's face.

2) Side-by-side of the full-length render, with different backgrounds filling the transparent areas.

3) Side-by-side visual of the viewport from above showing placement of cubes and sphere.

4) Side-by-side comparison of just the cubes and spheres for lighting.

5) The G2F Iray shader applied without the Iray Uber Base. It's actually an interesting effect, if you want the model to look like a mannequin.

G2F-Shader-applied-alone.jpg
    500 x 750 - 191K
    Results_Emissives_Cubes_vs_Spheres.jpg
    800 x 600 - 209K
    Top-View_Emissives_Cubes-vs-Spheres.jpg
    600 x 431 - 54K
    side-by-side_final-with-transparency.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 326K
    Stacia-face-zoom.jpg
    687 x 741 - 180K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited December 1969

SY, If I may ask. Iray is faster with many spots, rather then large soft-boxes? I found the fewer lights made 3delight happier (quicker) on a 4-core cpu. Now on an 8-core cpu, and curious if that many lights faster in Iray thing has to do with the overwhelming number of cores on a GPU vs that cowering in the corner CPU?

Yes I'm thinking about replacing them large Omni Uber Area lights with a wall of Photometric ones. Thoughts?

I don't know if it's because of the number of cores or because of the way a physically based renderer calculates bounced light, but it is a fact that lots of photometrics ARE faster than one soft-box in Iray.

Basically anything is faster than using a skydome/sphere/cube as a mesh light, as much as I've wanted to use that solution. It's better to take the textures from it and use them in the environment map channel if it is wanted for background purposes (if the textures are for a UV that supports that use), and then add lots of dim mesh lights and photometrics to the scene (brighter ones for specific rim use, of course).

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

Here's a new scene I'm trying out, lit mostly with emissive materials, but also with a dark sky environment map. For this one, I rendered it double size and shrunk, rendered 2 hours, could use more.

I called it "Calculations, Calculations" (because that's what i feel like I'm doing getting used to Iray :) )

CalculationsCalculations-test2.jpg
    1400 x 1000 - 662K
    edited December 1969

I don't know if it's because of the number of cores or because of the way a physically based renderer calculates bounced light, but it is a fact that lots of photometrics ARE faster than one soft-box in Iray.

Basically anything is faster than using a skydome/sphere/cube as a mesh light, as much as I've wanted to use that solution. It's better to take the textures from it and use them in the environment map channel if it is wanted for background purposes (if the textures are for a UV that supports that use), and then add lots of dim mesh lights and photometrics to the scene (brighter ones for specific rim use, of course).Thanks. well then, it at least gives me lights that can work in both Iray and 3delight.
    9 lights x 12 meters, :shut: err, no. 39x3 is 117 lights, per panel. I'll need to see what dose not kill my computer with 3delight then. :smirk:
    Especially if I can give them real world lumen values for Iray
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/782133/
    Yes, I've been adding to that list. Leaving breadcrumb trails for myself and others.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Gradually gaining confidence with this...

Here are a few of my experiments: an outdoor scene lit with sun/sky, a nighttime scene using an emitter as the primary light source (plus dome), and a portrait-style setup.

bromodan3a.jpg
    636 x 900 - 314K
    corner1b.jpg
    1125 x 900 - 750K
    templeruinsiray1d.jpg
    900 x 900 - 850K
  • pearbearpearbear Posts: 227
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    pearbear that skin looks gorgeous!

So, you didn´t use the Iray Uber shader?

I started out my skin experiments with the Iray Optimized for G2F MAT shader, but I found that some older shaders from Age of Armour were easier for me to build skin out of, and I'm getting more of the look I'm after. The Age of Armour shader set is in the DAZ store, it's called "Subsurface Gummy & Plastic Shaders". It works beautifully in 3Delight, and translates very well to Iray. For human skin, I lowered the scale of the scattering in the AoA shader a lot so that it just barely registers.

All of my experience with building and customizing shaders comes from unbiased renderers like Reality and Octane. A lot of what I learned there is translating directly over to Iray, but there are still some basics about building shaders in DAZ that I don't understand. Looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and really getting into it sometime soon. For now though, I'm having fun finding a preset in the content library that's close to what I want and then tweaking it.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889
    edited December 1969

I have gummy and plastic... interesting. Care to explain more?

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

Another test. This time with some depth of field thrown in. ~17 minutes using CPU plus two GPU.
    TD

Skydeck_and_Bike_Iray.png
    2000 x 1081 - 3M
    edited December 1969

Mostly my process was loading up one of the gummy shaders onto a simple model, and figuring out what the different parameters do. I started with the orange gummy I think, and tweaked it until it started to look like human skin. When I got that pretty close, I saved the shader and loaded it onto V6's ear and tweaked some more. I put the V6 color texture into Diffuse Color and Subsurface Color. I needed to adjust the gamma of the texture map in Photoshop, though. I think that the "Image Editor" window in the Surfaces menu should be able to adjust the Gamma inside of DAZ, but the gamma control there seems to do nothing. I'm guessing this is a bug since 4.8 is still in Beta. I also made a custom bump map from the V6 color map that I put in Bump Strength.

A lot of what I'm doing is kind of the "a thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters" approach of playing with every parameter to try to figure out what it does, maybe not always understanding it all, but getting closer all the time and following hunches based on past experience of similar screwing around. Now that Iray is looking like it will be my preferred renderer, I'm on the lookout for a good tutorial about building DAZ shaders from the ground up so that I can have a better understanding of it all.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

I have to say, the default skin conversion is fantastic. I may have to clothe her and do a full body render.

Hair is still a WIP. I did some quick smudging in photoshop as it was still grainy. Mind you, I stopped the render at 40 minutes, if Id let it go it would've been cleaner.

Beyond that I just shopped in a background, the skin is straight from the render.

Is it odd that I'm really excited by how nice the teeth look by default? Their reflection and translucency is spot on.

inspirationfinal.png
    900 x 1200 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:
    I have to say, the default skin conversion is fantastic. I may have to clothe her and do a full body render.

Hair is still a WIP. I did some quick smudging in photoshop as it was still grainy. Mind you, I stopped the render at 40 minutes, if Id let it go it would've been cleaner.

Beyond that I just shopped in a background, the skin is straight from the render.

Is it odd that I'm really excited by how nice the teeth look by default? Their reflection and translucency is spot on.

Wow. That looks incredible.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889
    edited December 1969

Redid my glass and cactus a little. Tweaked the shaders to be a little less plasticy, and the flower petals were way too transparent. (Thin objects seem to skew hard toward transparency, even if you have 0 translucent weight, not sure why)

Glass_and_cactus_still_lifeSM2.png
    900 x 1080 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:

I too am a sucker for well rendered teeth. They look great in your render, very real and tactile.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

I re-rendered a scene I originally worked on in 3Delight to get a feel for IRay. Its so awesome to be able to light the scene just like lighting a film set on location, and not having to add a dozen other lights to fake all the bounced light. I really didn't do much post work, merely added a bit of smoke and slight bloom to the tentacles. I tried out the IRay bloom, but its something I'll have to play with more in another project. It just kept turning out like a simple blurred overlay of the full image, didn't seem all that convincing to me, so I didn't use it for now.

IRay Render - 1hr 53mins

Skiriki_Conjuration_II_SpyroRue.png
    2000 x 1000 - 3M
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,308
    edited March 2015

StoneMason stuff is pretty easy to get a good render out of and seems to play especially nice with IRAY. I did this one while watching SickleYield's video tute on YouTube. I rendered to a transparent background, tossed in a stock image and WOW! (ZERO post work on the robot). I love this stuff! It just blows me away how much as changed with the release of DAZ and IRAY.

Go ahead, click the image to full size. I double-dog-dare-ya!

StoneMasonMech_IRAY3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 264K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

Gogger said:
    StoneMason stuff is pretty easy to get a good render out of and seems to play especially nice with IRAY. I did this one while watching SickleYield's video tute on YouTube. I rendered to a transparent background, tossed in a stock image and WOW! (ZERO post work on the robot). I love this stuff! It just blows me away how much as changed with the release of DAZ and IRAY.

Very nice!

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,308
    edited December 1969

Very nice!

Thanks Storypilot. I keep rendering things just to have my socks blown off. I am seeing a very dramatic increase in the quality of everyone's images here as a couple of days go by and people are figuring things out. I especially love how much everyone is eager to share what they have learned instead of just showing awesome images and not letting us know how they did it. I have been using Reality for a while and liked it, but IMO Iray is easy to use and built-in to DAZ so has lots going for it. Some renders are tricky, but others are easy as can be. I'm almost giddy I'm so excited!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

Gogger said:

I took your dare and wow... the detail on the robot is amazing. Well worth the time to load.
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

My first Iray render while testing some materials :

- Iray G2F shaders (tested some SSS)
    - Iray materials on the horn
    - HDRI added
    - Let it run for 2 minutes (GTX780 6Gb)

Peter.

Very nice. :)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,513
    edited December 1969

Redid a scene that took over 40 hours in 3DL due to the many trace levels with all the shards of glass (did want them to become grey clumps). In IRay, 2 hours (CPU only).

crush-cut.jpg
    1266 x 999 - 274K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:

Wow. That looks incredible.yeah I agree that is awesome

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Another DS/Iray test. O am not happy with the light glasses, the textures are bad, they have highlights and even the main head light has sky reflections on. Had to take the textures into Photoshop and try and remove them. But what do you expect from a Weekly DAZ3D freebie.

Rendered at 5000 samples and took 10 hours on i7 3.4 ghz quad CPU only. Not bad, could never get that from Lux.

BikeBest_copy.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    edited March 2015

Trying out some imported 3D scanned .OBJs now. (I didn't make the scans, but bought them online) The lighting is DAZ sun/sky in the first two and HDRI in the second two. I let each scene render for about three minutes on just GPU (1 GeForce GTX Titan).

This is basically just using DAZ as a pure renderer, and I'm blown away that they've released this technology to the world for free. This type of unbiased GPU renderer software alone is something that would cost you about $400-500, until a few days ago when DAZ dropped their bombshell.

The textures on these head models are 10,000x10,000 pixels, so this confirms that DAZ and Iray have no problem with textures bigger than 4096x4096 (as others have already pointed out). You can get great detail of skin pores etc. with bump maps of this resolution that I'd be thrilled to see in DAZ models in the future.

I got an instant crash when turning caustics on after adding a glass vase to the fourth scene here. The first full-on crash I've experienced with 4.8, after probably logging more than 20-30 hours of use. (I lose track of time when I'm having fun)

test11.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 368K
    test10.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 531K
    test09.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 445K
    test08.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 437K
    Post edited by pearbear on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited March 2015

@ pearbear - Nice!!!!!! I like the way the skin came out.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited March 2015

Zev0 said:
    @ pearbear - Nice!!!!!! I like the way the skin came out.

Thanks! Earlier in the thread I mentioned that it's based on messing around with Age of Armour's Subsurface Gummy shader. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when the vendors start releasing new custom shaders specifically for Iray. (there was an update with DAZ 4.8 to AoA's Subsurface Base shader, so maybe that explains how this older shader works so well) There's going to be some incredible stuff for us all to play with soon, methinks.

Post edited by pearbear on
  • PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Only the default shader settings on this one. When I started tweaking a skin parameter, it took 1 min. or so for DAZ Studio to become responsive again. I think it was caused because I added 'HD Veins' which seem to be very taxing for the system?

The render however only took 5 mins. (GTX 780).

Peter.

Gladios.jpg
    1136 x 999 - 409K
This discussion has been closed.