Show Us Your Iray Renders

1444546474850»

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

This is the first iray render for me where I've started to feel like I had control over what was happening as opposed to just hanging on for dear life and trying to get a result that looked ok in the midst of a lot of confusion. :) Not complete control yet by any means, but more so. I customized the hair, skin, eye, dress and glass materials, and the scene is lit with an HDRI environment map plus two photometric spot lights and one photometric point light. Here's my raw render (only scaled 50%) and my finished post-worked version.

Both are very nice, though I like what you did in post. The bluish cast to the stone is a subtle change, but makes a big difference to the overall image. And the girl (Cinderella?) almost looks alive.

edited December 1969

8eos8 said:
    Playing around a bit with Keshi.

The skin looks very natural... one of the harder aspects of using Iray. Good job.

• wanpen20152wanpen20152 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Wow many beautiful art works.

• John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited December 1969

ACross said:

.....I'm rendering it with the Caustic Sampler on right now. Not sure I'm up for another 3 day render any time soon, but with a whopping 87 iterations and 0.01% converged I can already see a big difference in the caustics on the wall behind the glass bottle. And the crescent of light on the chair in the original render is simply missing from this one. I will let this one run overnight, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

Another play using Brodie's textures, adding in some normal, SSS and roughness maps...

Hi Male-M3dia,

This is truly an amazing render, and looks so photorealistic. I was always impressed with Brodie textures in 3Delight so I'm using it a lot for my Iray test renders. However, you appear to have got the skin tone and hair just perfect.
    Would love to hear of any tips or suggested settings you may have. I have no idea at the moment how to incorporate SSS settings, which seem to be the key here.

Kind regards,

:-)

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

John Sims said:
    ACross said:
    After spending a lot of time with skin and hair and other important details, I decided to do something just for fun last weekend. I bought the Glass Gambit Chess Set .....

Pretty damn spectacular.

While playing with settings I found a caustics and architectural filter. Did you invoke these as I am wondering what the difference would be?

Those two are for specific things. In general they add significantly to the render time but are there for when you need specific results. Architectural optimization is for interiors lit by external light through windows for very accurate results, like you want for an architecture previz to sell to a client. Caustics gets you really accurate caustics like for a jewelry ad.

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited April 2015

I thought I'd point out an exposure tutorial I found. It's been helping me a lot already. For example, it mentions that while increasing ISO lets more light in, it also adds more digital noise to a picture which is why I think my renders looked blurry to my eye when I kicked ISO up to 400.

http://www.exposureguide.com/exposure.htm

It's also led to me thinking I may find a light level that works for me, then lock the exposure and experiment with the dials to see what kinds of changes I can get.

It also had this great graphic:

camera_settings.jpg
    600 x 400 - 53K
    Post edited by Riggswolfe on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

Wow, that's pretty awesome :)
    We should do something similar with Iray settings when we figure out what they all do and compile them all together in an easy reference guide for newbies :cheese:

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Another play using Brodie's textures, adding in some normal, SSS and roughness maps...

Hi Male-M3dia,

This is truly an amazing render, and looks so photorealistic. I was always impressed with Brodie textures in 3Delight so I'm using it a lot for my Iray test renders. However, you appear to have got the skin tone and hair just perfect.
    Would love to hear of any tips or suggested settings you may have. I have no idea at the moment how to incorporate SSS settings, which seem to be the key here.

Kind regards,

I still need to go through more textures to see what's what, though my tips may be different as I'm plugging different maps get the results. I'm using small negative numbers in the SSS transmission setting to simulate the light going under the skin... like -.19.

Anyway, played with another texture and adding in some veins as well.

Brock_Iray_05.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 197K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited April 2015

We should do something similar with Iray settings when we figure out what they all do and compile them all together in an easy reference guide for newbies :cheese:
    I for one would appreciate something like that. A slide-rule of sorts. Some of the settings don't mess with DOF like real ones would for one, and I have doubts about the graininess effect vs ISO as well. It's not real film, it is a light level adjustment.
    "O" and shutter speed, dose not do blurring, like it would in reality. lol.
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited April 2015

I for one would appreciate something like that. A slide-rule of sorts. Some of the settings don't mess with DOF like real ones would for one, and I have doubts about the graininess effect vs ISO as well. It's not real film, it is a light level adjustment.
    "O" and shutter speed, dose not do blurring, like it would in reality. lol.

While it's not true film I had noticed a drop in quality when I bumped my ISO to 400. I dropped it back down to 100 and increased my lighting and am doing a rerender of the same scene now to see if I get a quality improvement.

Edit: Hmmm...not a lot of difference in quality, maybe a tiny bit. I guess there's another reason why my renders suddenly look somewhat...smudged, especially around the edges of people's skin.

Post edited by Riggswolfe on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

DAYUM. You totally got this figured out M-M3. That's an amazing render!

Hi Male-M3dia,

Kind regards,

I still need to go through more textures to see what's what, though my tips may be different as I'm plugging different maps get the results. I'm using small negative numbers in the SSS transmission setting to simulate the light going under the skin... like -.19.

edited December 1969

Hi Male-M3dia,

Kind regards,

Many thanks for your reply, you are certainly getting results. I'm still thrashing around in the dark a bit, but having fun with what I am doing. It's a lot of trial and error, and with so many settings to toggle, that I do not fully understand, I am grateful for everyones input.

Kind regards,

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited April 2015

Two spotlights.

No HDRI.

Lots of emissive surfaces and some fun Tone Mapping.

Lower resolutions don't show the effect too well, but you can see the full one in my gallery.
    The Trooper II

the-trooper-2_full.png
    1280 x 720 - 1020K
    Post edited by evilded777 on
    edited April 2015

Two spotlights.

No HDRI.

Lots of emissive surfaces and some fun Tone Mapping.

Lower resolutions don't show the effect too well, but you can see the full one in my gallery.

??? link? (EDIT, thanks. looks good)
    edited December 1969

Very pleased with my Iray skin settings, and how Micah Hair has rendered without any shaders. Progress is being made. :lol:

Dillon.png
    600 x 800 - 860K
    edited April 2015

Nice. Nice renders everyone. I am impressed, and look forward to eventually being able to use Iray.
    http://zarcondeegrissom.deviantart.com/art/Iray-It-s-a-grand-new-world-520743258
    Its more fitting then I first thought it may have been, considering my lack of abilities with surfaces at the moment.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

Just some stuff from one of the Iray skin material threads.

m6BjornIray.png
    989 x 1600 - 1M
    gingerIRay.png
    989 x 1600 - 1M
    fighter1.png
    989 x 1600 - 1M
  • 8eos88eos8 Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

ACross said:
    8eos8 said:
    Playing around a bit with Keshi.

The skin looks very natural... one of the harder aspects of using Iray. Good job.

Thanks! That must be from the lighting and tonemapping settings though, I didn't tweak the skin at all except for the eye surfaces. I set Burn Highlights to 1 and Crush Blacks to 0 and used one of zbyg's HDRIs in the environment map.

I love all of the glass and reflections in your chess set, so shiny. :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited April 2015

...amazing, about two and a half weeks and this thread is already at 100 pages.

Hopefully there will be an 'Iray Renders Thread II"

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Yes, with so much Iray information now spread over so many threads it would be nice if DAZ made a new Forum Home for just Iray.
    How about it DAZ ? Please :-)

edited December 1969

John Sims said:
    ACross said:

.....I'm rendering it with the Caustic Sampler on right now. Not sure I'm up for another 3 day render any time soon, but with a whopping 87 iterations and 0.01% converged I can already see a big difference in the caustics on the wall behind the glass bottle. And the crescent of light on the chair in the original render is simply missing from this one. I will let this one run overnight, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Here is a comparison of the two images. The one rendered with Caustic Sampler on is, of course, very grainy, but I didn't want to tie up DS for another 3 days. :cheese:

The biggest difference is in the caustics behind the glass bottle. The rest of the image is less bright overall. but notice the chair is starting to show the crescent of light seen on the original image. After one hour, that still wasn't visible. I think the image would still be less bright, though, even if it rendered to 89%.

And Spooky reminded us, the Caustic Sampler is more for jewelry. He's mentioned it before, but I must confess I'd forgotten.

I don't think it added enough to this image to be worth the added render time, either.

Glass-Chess-Set-Caustic-Sampler-On-Off-Comparison.png
    1739 x 1304 - 4M
    edited April 2015

Kyoto Kid said:

Yes, with so much Iray information now spread over so many threads it would be nice if DAZ made a new Forum Home for just Iray.
    How about it DAZ ? Please :-)
    It is here, and Ready to go on the last post here.

Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54734/

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Anyone else here having renders hang, 4 hours 2% done and no visible improvement in the last hour, cancelled the render and DS just locks up real annoying had it do it several times.

edited December 1969

Anyone else here having renders hang, 4 hours 2% done and no visible improvement in the last hour, cancelled the render and DS just locks up real annoying had it do it several times.
    It dose get slower for each iteration towards the end at over 90% convergence.

And yes, I've had Studio freeze when canceling renders, both with Iray and 3DL. I suspect that is not related to just Iray.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

I've had to juggle stuff, particularly volumetrics. There are a number of scenes I've had lock up after 10 or so iterations with a log full of CUDA errors. And trying to cancel the render crashes the app.

I just kept muddling, changing things, save, attempt to render...

edited December 1969

I've had to juggle stuff, particularly volumetrics. There are a number of scenes I've had lock up after 10 or so iterations with a log full of CUDA errors. And trying to cancel the render crashes the app.

I just kept muddling, changing things, save, attempt to render...

I'm not sure exactly what code is involved with volumetrics, tho there was that known glitch with intersecting planes. Still worth bringing up in the Beta thread, if it hasn't already. I have not been able to keep up with ALL the Iray threads as well as I would like.
    edited April 2015

And yes, I've had Studio freeze when canceling renders, both with Iray and 3DL. I suspect that is not related to just Iray.

No its to do with Iray I've not had it happen with 3Delight, its locks up and the render is lost along with 4 hrs. It's doing it to me nearly all the time I've got maybe 2 renders out of Iray where it hasn't happened.

Post edited by scorpio on
    edited December 1969

Yep an Iray problem just found this thread

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54400/P15

edited April 2015

No its to do with Iray I've not had it happen with 3Delight, its locks up and the render is lost along with 4 hrs. It's doing it to me nearly all the time I've got maybe 2 renders out of Iray where it hasn't happened.I was referring to cancelling a render then Studio freeze bit. I haven't a chance to play with volumetrics, still fussing with skin. In any case, yea, it sucks when your working on stuff, and it's lost, and you need to back-step again.

The Iray errors and freeze bit is one for someone at Daz and/or nvidia.

Thread continued here

Post edited by Chohole on
This discussion has been closed.