UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

It's because the nomenclature is dumb. ;)

8 bit really means 8 bit PER CHANNEL. RGB is three channels, so it's ACTUALLY 24 bit (8x3)

• Oso3D said:

8 bit really means 8 bit PER CHANNEL. RGB is three channels, so it's ACTUALLY 24 bit (8x3)

Ohh... very crazy. Thank you for this answer.

• @HowieFarkes

Would be nice to see a reloadbutton in UltrasceneryXT for

USX Terrain [cavity].png

USX Terrain [erosion flow].png

USX Terrain [height].png

So we could easily change this pngs with our modified versions.

Many thanks.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,514
    edited April 2022

Indeed Oso3D, so what is needed for really smooth heightmap is 16 bit grayscale, which is 16 bits of gray information, not 8 bits of grey information (as gray is the same value in R,G & B), so a 24 bit RGB image can only represent 8 bits of gret scale information. If 16bit image format exists and can be used by Qt 4.8 ,nor I, neither HowieFarkes, have found a way to use that in Qt 4.8 APIs.

Post edited by Totte on
  • Oso3D said:

But in this case we have a new problem.

Ultrascenery internally seems to use PNG24. But the most Landscapegenerators export PNG16.

And if i export TIF32 there seems to be no way to convert it to PNG24, only to PNG16.

• Totte said:

Indeed Oso3D, so what is needed for really smooth heightmap is 16 bit grayscale, which is 16 bits of gray information, not 8 bits of grey information (as gray is the same value in R,G & B), so a 24 bit RGB image can only represent 8 bits of gret scale information. If 16bit image format exists and can be used by Qt 4.8 ,nor I, neither HowieFarkes, have found a way to use that in Qt 4.8 APIs.

Ahhh... i think i understand now.

The PNG16 exportet by landscapegenerators is a full 16bit grayscale picture.

But Ultrascenery imports this and handles it as a 3x8bit RGB File. Which means, only 256 shades of grey.

Not 65536 shades of gray.

Oh what a mess...

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584

There are external libraries I need to investigate that can enable 16bit usage but I was kinda under the impression last year (when most of the development of USXT occurred) that DS5 was just around the corner which will be based upon QT5.x which does also contain 16bit support. I was holding off until it's release - now it is still totally unknown when DS5 will be out so I'm not sure whether to wait.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    edited April 2022

Oso3D said:

I used heightmaps from World Creator without problems.

I just made sure to reduce them to 1024 8 bit png first.

What version of worldcreator are you using and what settings if you don't mind sharing. Also, here's an 8bit export and import with settings and the result.

Capture WC.JPG
    442 x 988 - 53K
    Capture Daz.JPG
    489 x 444 - 27K
    Capture Daz 2.JPG
    1166 x 719 - 73K
    Capture PMG 24bit.JPG
    699 x 198 - 29K
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • rainbud_7f9591930drainbud_7f9591930d Posts: 22
    edited April 2022

HowieFarkes said:

There are external libraries I need to investigate that can enable 16bit usage but I was kinda under the impression last year (when most of the development of USXT occurred) that DS5 was just around the corner which will be based upon QT5.x which does also contain 16bit support. I was holding off until it's release - now it is still totally unknown when DS5 will be out so I'm not sure whether to wait.

Thank you very much.

I will need to wait. Not my strongest ability, i think ;-)

Post edited by rainbud_7f9591930d on
  • HowieFarkes said:

Understandable, but could I put in an anguement for adding 16bit png support to the DS4 version.

There are a few of us, and it's not a vanishingly small number, who have Win7 based hardware. Now that Win7 support for nVidia drivers has stopped we are left with 4.15 as the max level of DS we can load until our hardware dies and has to be replaced. There are also likely to be quite a number of people left behind by new (and more demanding) hardware requirements for DS5. This means it's likely all of these users will be far from early adopters of DS5 when it eventually arrives. And it's likely the 'low spec' machines will continue for some years. It has to be said that US & USXT are the most incredible addons for DS, and not being able to use them to the max while still being forced to use DS4 will be a real shame.

It will obviously be down to your estimation of how difficult it will be to embody 16bit png's into USXT, and whether the effort is worth it given that - in all probability - a majority of people who really-really-want USXT for DS4 already have it without 16bit png support. However, it would be deeply appreciated if you could do it.

Regards,

Richard.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

richardandtracy said:

HowieFarkes said:

Understandable, but could I put in an anguement for adding 16bit png support to the DS4 version.

There are a few of us, and it's not a vanishingly small number, who have Win7 based hardware. Now that Win7 support for nVidia drivers has stopped we are left with 4.15 as the max level of DS we can load until our hardware dies and has to be replaced. There are also likely to be quite a number of people left behind by new (and more demanding) hardware requirements for DS5. This means it's likely all of these users will be far from early adopters of DS5 when it eventually arrives. And it's likely the 'low spec' machines will continue for some years. It has to be said that US & USXT are the most incredible addons for DS, and not being able to use them to the max while still being forced to use DS4 will be a real shame.

It will obviously be down to your estimation of how difficult it will be to embody 16bit png's into USXT, and whether the effort is worth it given that - in all probability - a majority of people who really-really-want USXT for DS4 already have it without 16bit png support. However, it would be deeply appreciated if you could do it.

Regards,

Richard.

Not to high-jack the thread, but could you briefly mention WHAT new (and more demanding) hardware requirements for DS5?  I'm on Win 10 and so far, don't have any issues, but if I'm going to, I'd like to be prepared.

• I can't. Nothing has been announced. But.. can I ask, when have DS hardware requirements ever reduced?

I can't recall requirements ever reducing. Going up from 0.9->1 and 1->2 certainly had a hike in requirements. My PC during the DS1->2 move simply couldn't cope with the new capability of the program & I had to stop using DS for 12 years until I got a sufficiently capable machine. So, I have been hit by a major version requirment hike and am bearing that in mind for a possible DS4->5 hike. But, it's speculation. Not wild speculation, speculation based on previous history.

Regards,

Richard

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

richardandtracy said:

I can't. Nothing has been announced. But.. can I ask, when have DS hardware requirements ever reduced?

I can't recall requirements ever reducing. Going up from 0.9->1 and 1->2 certainly had a hike in requirements. My PC during the DS1->2 move simply couldn't cope with the new capability of the program & I had to stop using DS for 12 years until I got a sufficiently capable machine. So, I have been hit by a major version requirment hike and am bearing that in mind for a possible DS4->5 hike. But, it's speculation. Not wild speculation, speculation based on previous history.

Regards,

Richard

Oh, I understand.  My system is maxxed out.  The only way I can upgrade is start over with a new system.

From WorldCreator, I've been working in 2048, and have tried outputting at 16 bit, but then convert to 1024 8 bit Grayscale png for what I use with USXT.

I also like to add a tiny amount of noise and turn on erosion in USXT to help add a little detail in engine.

edited April 2022
    Setting smoothing to a 2 and checking erosion works well to hide some of the banding but it also washes away the details I work into the terrain.
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on

Oh sure, I'm just saying it can add some helpful elements.

The banding is, I'm pretty sure, due to going from a larger resolution to 1024. Try reducing resolution before passing it to Daz.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850
    edited April 2022

Landscape with cyber accents

xt01pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 895K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Howie,

I have been meaning to ask for a while: Is the treeline minimum height deliberately an integer value of meters, or is my machine playing up by not inputting something lke 0.15m for the tree minimum height? I only seem to be able to put in 0,1,2 etc.

Regards,

Richard

Tip:

With the normal setup, 'water level' on a grayscale height map is at brightness 70 (out of 255). I've found it useful to adjust levels a little to line that up properly. Maybe there's an easier way, but I don't know it yet...

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

Oso3D said:

Tip:

With the normal setup, 'water level' on a grayscale height map is at brightness 70 (out of 255). I've found it useful to adjust levels a little to line that up properly. Maybe there's an easier way, but I don't know it yet...

What are you lining up? I don't understand the context of this tip.

Lining up water level in World Creator or whatever you are using.

I mean, if you intend water level to be at one value and it's not, that's going to look off.

Oso3D said:

Lining up water level in World Creator or whatever you are using.

I mean, if you intend water level to be at one value and it's not, that's going to look off.

Thanks for the additional explanation.

• My first USXT render ... Suppertime.

Mountain.png
    1822 x 887 - 3M
    edited April 2022

Another render...

xt02pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 791K
    Post edited by Artini on

DoctorJellybean said:

My first USXT render ... Suppertime.

I like it. Is that the Albert Mansion in the distant? 

Artini said:

Another render...

Nice idea and nice render. 

• AnEye4Art said:

DoctorJellybean said:

I like it. Is that the Albert Mansion in the distant? 

Thank you.

Very good, yes. 

I always like all the extra details you add to your scenes.
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885

DoctorJellybean said:

That's nice.

AnEye4Art said:

Artini said:

Another render...

Nice idea and nice render. 

Thanks a lot for the comments.