UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• AnEye4Art said:

Just read on the worldcreator discord forum that terrain tiling is coming to WC by May 2022. This is big news since there's been a sample render here of multiple USXT terrains used in one scene. With WC, I see the possibility of combining multiple biomes into one large terrain like, a dessert, snow and forrest all on one terrain. If USXT does not implement terrain tiling of some sort, at least I will have even higher resolution tiled textures once exported from WC.

How does one use WC terrains in USXT? I may have a look at WC.

• I found that the freebie equivalent to World Creator - 'TerreSculptor' (http://www.demenzunmedia.com/home/terresculptor/) - can create 16bit monochrome .png height maps for USXT too. It appears (and I don't know how to do it yet) that it should be possible to get rgb groundcover maps out of it too. I seem to need to learn how to use two bits of software now...

Regards,

Richard.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 703
    edited March 2022

DoctorJellybean said:

AnEye4Art said:

Just read on the worldcreator discord forum that terrain tiling is coming to WC by May 2022. This is big news since there's been a sample render here of multiple USXT terrains used in one scene. With WC, I see the possibility of combining multiple biomes into one large terrain like, a dessert, snow and forrest all on one terrain. If USXT does not implement terrain tiling of some sort, at least I will have even higher resolution tiled textures once exported from WC.

It very easy as I mentioned in an earlier post. The WC discussion on discord also debates the need for terrain mesh export versus heightmap export to use in other 3D apps. A high resolution mesh terrain from WC, when tiled, could be 1GB or higher but less than half that size for heightmap / texture export. I know this because, before USXT, I imported my meshes from WC and it brought DAZ to an unworkable crawl because the obj. mesh was a very large file, and I have plenty of memory in my rig. I guess daz does not handle huge geometry or memory well? Anyway, USXT is a Godsend and I am looking forward to what's possible with USXT and WC.

Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • AnEye4Art said:

DoctorJellybean said:

AnEye4Art said:

It very easy as I mentioned in an earlier post. The WC discussion on discord also debates the need for terrain mesh export versus heightmap export to use in other 3D apps. A high resolution mesh terrain from WC, when tiled, could be 1GB or higher but less than half that size for heightmap / texture export. I know this because, before USXT, I imported my meshes from WC and it brought DAZ to an unworkable crawl because the obj. mesh was a very large file, and I have plenty of memory in my rig. I guess daz does not handle huge geometry or memory well? Anyway, USXT is a Godsend and I am looking forward to what's possible with USXT and WC.

Thank you. I guess I need to find your earlier post laugh

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,466

I got a couple of renders out using USXT and USC ... a bit dark, but such is sunlight at this time of day. I went from deep to nearly out of the woods. 

mountain with USC1.png
    1500 x 843 - 3M
    mountain with USC2.png
    1500 x 843 - 2M
    mountain with USC3.png
    1500 x 843 - 2M
    mountain with USC5.png
    1500 x 843 - 2M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214
    edited March 2022

daveso said:

I got a couple of renders out using USXT and USC ... a bit dark, but such is sunlight at this time of day. I went from deep to nearly out of the woods. 

Those are really nice, and different than the average render. I like the one with the purple sky best (top row right).

Post edited by barbult on
    edited March 2022

barbult said:

daveso said:

Those are really nice, and different than the average render. I like the one with the purple sky best (top row right).

Me too. I did some closups of the XT portion. It holds up pretty well even close. I was surprised.  EDIT: just noticed some dark squares/splotches that are out of place here and there. Not sure what created those. 

mountain4.png
    1500 x 1125 - 3M
    Post edited by daveso on
  • sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

I just noticed something.  The pins in ActivePose get HUGE as soon as I load an XT terrain.  I loaded Ollie first, pinned some joints and posed him.  Then loaded an XT terrain.  You can see what happens to the pins.  This is really weird. I just reloaded another XT scene in which I have a G8Floaded.  She's alread got pins set.  But they appear normal.  Has anybody else seen this?

USXT_ActivePose_Huge_Pins.png
    1303 x 672 - 202K

daveso said:

Platnumk said:

daveso said:

is there a way to return to default settings? 

Right Click on the setting you wish to reset & you will get a Reset To Default option appear 

bummer ii i reset a lot of them so will probably have to do every one 1 at a time.  Need a general default reset. 

Delete it and start over? I know - kind of draconian but....

sandmanmax said:

daveso said:

Platnumk said:

daveso said:

Right Click on the setting you wish to reset & you will get a Reset To Default option appear 

bummer ii i reset a lot of them so will probably have to do every one 1 at a time.  Need a general default reset. 

laugh that's too easy?  I might be wrong, but I think it has maintained the changes. I have no idea what the defaults were anymore. 

How do I post a link to one of my gallery images here?  I tried using the Image pop-up but it just shows an empty box.

edited March 2022

daveso said:

sandmanmax said:

daveso said:

Platnumk said:

daveso said:

laugh that's too easy?  I might be wrong, but I think it has maintained the changes. I have no idea what the defaults were anymore. 

Oh!  As in "there aren't any defaults"..... got it.  What about adding another one?  I just tried it and it seems like it's got all the default values.  Or I an attach some screenshots.  I haven't been changing all that much, so they seem to be relatively "default" to me.  But, I agree, a Reset button would be nice.

Post edited by sandmanmax on
    edited March 2022

more pines. I like them a lot. Trying to emulate human vision with the image of forked path ... camera focal length 23mm. Supposedly 50mm is equivalent lens for human eye, but I'm not sure how to set that up in DS. 

Another aspect of this is height of the camera. How to find the camera 6 feet from ground level when USC is already above the ground plane? 

pine moutanin3 50mm 23 mm focal length 2.png
    1500 x 843 - 2M
    Post edited by daveso on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214
    edited March 2022

daveso said:

more pines. I like them a lot. Trying to emulate human vision with the image of forked path ... camera focal length 23mm. Supposedly 50mm is equivalent lens for human eye, but I'm not sure how to set that up in DS. 

Another aspect of this is height of the camera. How to find the camera 6 feet from ground level when USC is already above the ground plane? 

Move the camera on the Y axis until it just disappears below the terrain surface, then add 6 ft (6*12*2.54) to the camera Y axis value (which is in CM).

Unless you are really tall, your eyes are probably not 6 feet about the ground, though. wink

Post edited by barbult on

barbult said:

daveso said:

Move the camera on the Y axis until it just disappears below the terrain surface, then add 6 ft (6*12*2.54) to the camera Y axis value (which is in CM).

Unless you are really tall, your eyes are probably not 6 feet about the ground, though. wink

thanks..not quite but has to be within a couple inches for sure.  I like USXT more and more and it makes US so much better.It renders pretty fast too, and sets up faster.  

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 585

daveso said:

barbult said:

daveso said:

Me too. I did some closups of the XT portion. It holds up pretty well even close. I was surprised.  EDIT: just noticed some dark squares/splotches that are out of place here and there. Not sure what created those. 

The squares are just the resolution of the mesh showing through. You can reduce the effect by adding 1 (or maybe 2) levels of sub-d to the terrain.
  • PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

My 1st attempt at use USC & USCXT together

USC_XT.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

Platnumk said:

That quote can't be more true. Nice scene to compliment. 

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663
    edited April 2022

AnEye4Art said:

Platnumk said:

That quote can't be more true. Nice scene to compliment. 

Thank you 

Post edited by Platnumk on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734
    edited April 2022

daveso said:

barbult said:

daveso said:

thanks..not quite but has to be within a couple inches for sure.  I like USXT more and more and it makes US so much better.It renders pretty fast too, and sets up faster.  

There are 2 scripts by mCasual that serves this purpose, One is mcjDroptoTerrain 2 the other is  mcjMakeHeadcam. Combined you can get the hight desired by following the steps below.

1.) Add a figure to the scene (Vicky is about 6ft)

2.) Set the head camera

3.) Position the figure above the terrain

4.) Using script drop the figure to the terrain

You can add other mCasual scripts to enhance your experience such as the current dronecam or the upcoming version with gamepad support to get decent animation.

Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,168

MelanieL said:

I noticed something yesterday. I was using a hand-made height map which has a largish patch of mid-grey (no features) so creates a flat area. The tree biome doesn't populate that area at all, even with min slope set to zero. Is this deliberate (a handy way to create a clearing?) or a mistake?

ETA: I had no noise added at the time. Adding a small amount of noise sorted it out, but I didn't really want that elsewhere on the terrain.

Any comment on this, @HowieFarkes ? (I seem to recall something similar on the original USC, which got fixed later.)

HowieFarkes said:

daveso said:

barbult said:

daveso said:

The squares are just the resolution of the mesh showing through. You can reduce the effect by adding 1 (or maybe 2) levels of sub-d to the terrain.

Thanks..I qill crank that up next render

I call this test render 'melting snow'.

Melting Snow.png
    1931 x 869 - 4M
    edited April 2022

I thought that I had the terrain banding in USXT figured out but I am still getting very terrible banding mostly from imported maps and I think I know why. The greyscale hight map is the a scaled down version of the high resolution hieghtmap that I imported. Well the scaled down version is what's causing the banding. What ever compression method being employed by USXT is causing the severe banding. My imported heightmaps are 4096x4096 but USXT's version is only 1024x1024, which causes the banding. The greyscale is from the USXT's map folder and the *red map is the imported one. A closer look at USXT's map one can see the visible banding and image tiling squares. No smoothing is fixing it. Any smoothing above 2 only washes out the details for me. Plus I've tried all acceptable image formats and the results are the same. I really hope Howie will fix this soon.

*Please note that this site did compress the red heightmap and so the slight banding in the image is because of this.

1.JPG
    2166 x 600 - 101K
    USX Terrain [height].png
    1024 x 1024 - 513K
    Heightmap_4096x4096.jpg
    4096 x 4096 - 978K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,896

Why not compress the heightmaps yourself before passing them to USXT?

• ok Mr HowieFarkes :

when we see UltraScenery Cities .

any plan .

aerial-view-shanghai-city-skyline-skyscraper-shanghai-modern-city-night-china-huangpu-river-aerial-view-shanghai-168577736.jpg
    800 x 449 - 54K
    582ff10c69d9444726e8b361d7fd9f37.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 327K

Oso3D said:

Good point. I will try that. However, using high resolution maps was my way to make up for USXT terrain mesh resolution limit. So if I can find a really good image compressor, and USXT does not cause any more banding to my images, then I'm good to go.

edited April 2022

Oso3D said:

It was worth the shot but the banding is still there. I lowered the map resolution before export from WC and I did an image compression as well and none worked. 

1.JPG
    1930 x 826 - 96K
    USX Terrain [height].png
    1024 x 1024 - 54K
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,118
    edited April 2022
    That looks as if you're getting an 8 bit height map rather than a true 16 bit grey. If it is 16 bit, it looks to have been converted to 8 bit before a 16 bit uplift. You would expect not to see those contours. Is it worth running a smoothing/blur routine over it after exporting from WC? I'd love to do one, but the PNG library of my C++ compiler doesn't go to 16 bit grey png's and I don't understand the format well enough to do it from scratch myself.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,118
    edited April 2022

I thought the lovely inlet created in one scene deserved some dressing with a couple of sailing ships. The ancient HMS Victory model, and 3djoji's recent AVC seemed to fit the bill, scaled down to 20% to better scale with the scenery. Both vessels have just got underway, and Victory, being fast under sail will soon have to slow down to avoid a collision.

Regards,

Richard

USXT 04a R02.png
    1920 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by richardandtracy on