Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

Ellessarr said:

Aqualad07 said:

I have tried a few and everything so far has worked well.  A couple of Soto's outfits plus the Casual Spikes hair and even short hair designed for the G8 female.  So far, so good.

to be clear i means stuffs made exclusive for 8.1, for exemple this outfit

https://www.daz3d.com/hs-dforce-lurys-sweater-for-genesis-81-female

the description means which it only compatible with genesis 8.1 female, then it can't work on genesis 8 female???, this is what i means stuffs made exclusive for genesis 8.1 if they can be used aswell on genesis 8 

There is nothing in G8.1 that would prevent clothing being used on G8 just the same

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

Ellessarr said:

Aqualad07 said:

I have tried a few and everything so far has worked well.  A couple of Soto's outfits plus the Casual Spikes hair and even short hair designed for the G8 female.  So far, so good.

to be clear i means stuffs made exclusive for 8.1, for exemple this outfit

https://www.daz3d.com/hs-dforce-lurys-sweater-for-genesis-81-female

the description means which it only compatible with genesis 8.1 female, then it can't work on genesis 8 female???, this is what i means stuffs made exclusive for genesis 8.1 if they can be used aswell on genesis 8 

It won't appear in "Smart Content" if a G8F is selected (with "Filter Content") and it pops up the convertion dialog if it is applied to a G8F but it works.  It's a dForce item so I can't see why it wouldn't work even if it doesn't have G8F specific morphs.  I have only tested it on the Genesis 8 Basica Female so far and it does dForce explode in the stablization phase if it gets trapped between the arm and torso.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

I decided I am going to ignore 8.1. If the product says it's for 8.1 and doesn't make it clear it works on 8.0 without fuss I am just not interested. I don't really like the new face rig, and that's really the only reason to switch over far as I can tell.

• jd641jd641 Posts: 426
    edited March 2021

Sevrin said:

fred9803 said:

I give up too. The whole topic is getting very confusing for me.....

This is pretty apt.  You have to wait for an elevator, but once you're on, it's quick.  You don't have to wait for an escalator, but then you have to switch on every floor.

I have a bunch of characters, morphs etc.  I just install them wherever DIM wants, and point DS to that.  Loading a character takes a while.  Others spend time sorting stuff into different directories, which takes time, but loading a character is fast.  I don't know if there's a net benefit, but I wouldn't have the patience for that.  I'd rather load a character and go make tea  or go to the bathroom because of all the tea or check email or something than screw around with content directories.  Different strokes.

The problem is that the long load times shouldn't happen. DAZ wants us to buy all this content, yet the more content for the figure you buy, the slower it will load and make keyframing functions in the timeline horrendously slow. They want you to buy more yet their own system may make you buy less.

Post edited by jd641 on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

jd641 said:

Sevrin said:

fred9803 said:

I give up too. The whole topic is getting very confusing for me.....

This is pretty apt.  You have to wait for an elevator, but once you're on, it's quick.  You don't have to wait for an escalator, but then you have to switch on every floor.

I have a bunch of characters, morphs etc.  I just install them wherever DIM wants, and point DS to that.  Loading a character takes a while.  Others spend time sorting stuff into different directories, which takes time, but loading a character is fast.  I don't know if there's a net benefit, but I wouldn't have the patience for that.  I'd rather load a character and go make tea  or go to the bathroom because of all the tea or check email or something than screw around with content directories.  Different strokes.

The problem is that the long load times shouldn't happen. DAZ wants us to buy all this content, yet the more content for the figure you buy, the slower it will load and make keyframing functions in the timeline horrendously slow. They want you to buy more yet their own system may make you buy less.

No argument here.  Basically, the better customers we are, the more we're penalized.  That's only a problem if you actually install the products and set up scenes to render.  If all you do is shop, you're fine. wink 

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

TheKD said:

I decided I am going to ignore 8.1. If the product says it's for 8.1 and doesn't make it clear it works on 8.0 without fuss I am just not interested. I don't really like the new face rig, and that's really the only reason to switch over far as I can tell.

I'm pretty much inclined to do the same.  The face control rig itself is available as a separate product for G8F/G3F, the PBRSkin shader works anywhere.  The FACS and FACSExpressions are slightly different and maybe better but the changes are minor.  There's lots of other wardrobe content on my wishlist that will work just find on G8F or G8.1F...

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

One snafu I found with materials, if it's made for 8.1, like torment, and it's a heirarchal material preset or whatever it's called it won't work on g8.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

TheKD said:

One snafu I found with materials, if it's made for 8.1, like torment, and it's a heirarchal material preset or whatever it's called it won't work on g8.

He's not called Torment for nothing. 

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097
    edited March 2021

Sevrin said:

TheKD said:

He's not called Torment for nothing. 

DEVILISHLY FUNNY!

Post edited by inquire on
  • The RED CrownThe RED Crown Posts: 247
    edited March 2021

Now it is the time to jump to the G9.

Put a long business plan on it .

8.1 Do not give anything new to the 3D arena .

Post edited by The RED Crown on
  • johnbpjohnbp Posts: 55

The RED Crown said:

I disagree.  I think an incremental upgrade like this is better than a "throw it all out and start over" version upgrade you are looking for.  The PBR skins finally maturing and facial rigs that allow for finer tuning are what I have always felt was missing from Daz.  Things like this bring it closer to pro-level usefulness and make the Maya bridge finally less of a last resort for quality in the Daz world.  Maybe your goals are different, but that does not make it  without value.

I come from the Softimage3D/Maya/SGI animation world (in my past) and am happy the affordable tools are striving to fill the gaps.  Something I can afford is finally starting to feel up to the task!

• johnbp said:

The RED Crown said:

I disagree.  I think an incremental upgrade like this is better than a "throw it all out and start over" version upgrade you are looking for.  The PBR skins finally maturing and facial rigs that allow for finer tuning are what I have always felt was missing from Daz.  Things like this bring it closer to pro-level usefulness and make the Maya bridge finally less of a last resort for quality in the Daz world.  Maybe your goals are different, but that does not make it  without value.

I come from the Softimage3D/Maya/SGI animation world (in my past) and am happy the affordable tools are striving to fill the gaps.  Something I can afford is finally starting to feel up to the ta

I hope you are right .

Don't bet on Daz - I hope they are out of confusion in decisions And they developed strategic plans for the future of their products .

• Rod Wise Driggo said:

OK, so the update is finally here. What do you guys think?

Im trying to download daz studio, but I get reffered to daz sentral, and cant find any download link

• PJ3DPJ3D Posts: 33

Using the bridge to blender with Vic 8.1 and finding the eyes haven't worked well (skin is great).  Just wondering if someone has worked this out yet and can save me debugging it?!

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

James_H said:

Are 8.1 feet different?

https://www.daz3d.com/shoes-remake-for-genesis-81-females-pack

Not that I know.

Those shoes are probably saved with the base set to Genesis 8.1 female so that they don't trigger autofit, and they seem to have new morphs and materials..

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,009

What is the base set?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

James_H said:

What is the base set?

There is a setting called "compatible base" (or something like that) on items which tells you what figure it was made for. When you fit an outfit to a figure different from that "base" it triggers autofit dialog.

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,009

So will they fit G8? Shoes seem a bit of a challenge.

• tomhbwctomhbwc Posts: 24

Has anyone made a new daz mimic configuration (DMC) file for Genesis 8.1 yet? Doesn't matter if it is an official file release or user-made, as long as it works. I really want to use 8.1 for my "high-quality" animations, but not being able to use DAZ 32-bit's Lip Sync plugin with them makes it very hard to use them (and so far, I can't apply G8 Lip Sync animations to G8.1 in 64-bit last time I tried, when G8.1 first released).

• nforst1nforst1 Posts: 0

Almost all of my Genesis 8.1 characters render completely white, even when they have their mats applied. I'm sure this is a minor fix but I have no idea what to do about it.

• Has anyone faced such a problem? I transfer morphs from 8 models to 8.1 through .... Everything rises normally, but it becomes unrealistic to move my eyes. Even closing them is problematic. Everything else is fine. And so any model when transferring.

• Wonderland said:

So this is regular G8 expressions on G8.1 and it’s TOO HD. She looks like a crack addict! The forehead gets wrinkled too easily using most morphs and when you use Eyes Look Up. People don’t wrinkle their forehead when they just look up, at least I don’t, but my mother told me not to frown or I’d get wrinkles when I was three so I never really developed frown muscles lol. But seriously, there needs to be a Botox slider or something. I have an Expression Smoother slider, but that’s the one expression that doesn’t work! Can a PA please make a forehead smoother slider? 

I'm still having this problem. Did you ever find a solution? 

Do you have Auto Face Enhancer installed?

At least in the beginning, it was on at 100% by default, making every expression look quite extreme.

https://www.daz3d.com/afe--real-female-hd-expressions-for-genesis-8-females

• EndlessdescentEndlessdescent Posts: 91
    edited October 2021

PerttiA said:

At least in the beginning, it was on at 100% by default, making every expression look quite extreme.

I do but it looks like all the sliders under shaping were set to 0... but yikes, all the promo pics for that are terrifying! 

I think it has something to do with the automatic face adjustment with eye positioning

Post edited by Endlessdescent on
    edited October 2021

Endlessdescent said:

PerttiA said:

I do but it looks like all the sliders under shaping were set to 0... but yikes, all the promo pics for that are terrifying! 

I think it has something to do with the automatic face adjustment with eye positioning

Shaping Tab doesn't tell you the truth, it shows only a selection of the dials that are attached to the figure - Parameters Tab gives you all the dials.

You could try making sure all the morphs that you have installed, have their default values set to zero;

1. Open DS and load "Genesis 8 Basic Female" (to an empty scene) (or Genesis 8.1 Basic Female if you are using G8.1F)
    2. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Preferences->Choose "Show Hidden Properties" (part 3 zeroes only 'visible' dials)
    3. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Zero->Zero Figure (Zeroes the value of all the 'visible' dials)
    4. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Memorize->Memorize Figure (Sets the current value of all the dials as their default value)
    5. Edit->Save As->Support Asset->Save Modified Assets (Writes the changed default value to the morph files that were changed)

When saving "Modified Assets" DS shows a dialog and asks for confirmation;
    "The following file(s) will be permanently modified:" - "Accept/Cancel" - Choose "Accept"

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • PerttiA said:

Endlessdescent said:

PerttiA said:

Shaping Tab doesn't tell you the truth, it shows only a selection of the dials that are attached to the figure - Parameters Tab gives you all the dials.

You could try making sure all the morphs that you have installed, have their default values set to zero;

1. Open DS and load "Genesis 8 Basic Female" (to an empty scene) (or Genesis 8.1 Basic Female if you are using G8.1F)
    2. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Preferences->Choose "Show Hidden Properties" (part 3 zeroes only 'visible' dials)
    3. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Zero->Zero Figure (Zeroes the value of all the 'visible' dials)
    4. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Memorize->Memorize Figure (Sets the current value of all the dials as their default value)
    5. Edit->Save As->Support Asset->Save Modified Assets (Writes the changed default value to the morph files that were changed)

When saving "Modified Assets" DS shows a dialog and asks for confirmation;
    "The following file(s) will be permanently modified:" - "Accept/Cancel" - Choose "Accept"

Very interesting and helpful!
    Doesn't "Currently Used" under Parameters tab reveal any funny business going on like wrinkles I may not have wanted? 

Endlessdescent said:

Doesn't "Currently Used" under Parameters tab reveal any funny business going on like wrinkles I may not have wanted? 

"Currently Used" means the value of the dial is something else than the default value, it is NOT about showing dials that have non-zero value.

If you have installed a morph "Pinocchio Nose" and the default value of the morph is 100%, you will not see the "Pinocchio Nose" when you look at "Currently Used", even though all your characters would load with a two foot pole as their nose.

PerttiA said:

Endlessdescent said:

"Currently Used" means the value of the dial is something else than the default value, it is NOT about showing dials that have non-zero value.

If you have installed a morph "Pinocchio Nose" and the default value of the morph is 100%, you will not see the "Pinocchio Nose" when you look at "Currently Used", even though all your characters would load with a two foot pole as their nose.

I just realized that there is one problem with my instructions...

When you "Zero the Figure", it will change the value of all the dials to zero, except the dials that have their minimum limit set at higher than zero, in those cases Zeroing the Figure sets the value of the dial to the lowest value allowed by the minimum limit - These are rare but I have seen them.