Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1

Comments

• Mystiarra said:

copying the pose controls from 8.0 morphs folder to 8.1 folder isn't enough to make it work 

is prolly a bad idea to use pose controls in animations, but makes it easier. >.<

Most Pose Controls should work, assuming you are usign DS 4.15.x.x

• vagansvagans Posts: 422
    Many found that there was no update initialized for our installed G8 essentials so you need to uninstall and reinstall it.
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Richard Haseltine said:

Mystiarra said:

copying the pose controls from 8.0 morphs folder to 8.1 folder isn't enough to make it work 

is prolly a bad idea to use pose controls in animations, but makes it easier. >.<

Most Pose Controls should work, assuming you are usign DS 4.15.x.x

my ds ver is 4.11.

the quantum entanglement of 8 and 8.1

first thing i did was give them their own people folders.

experimenting with the internal IDs of the pose controls. 

I only use a couple of the g8 characters.  like zelara.  not too much work to import the morph manually.
    i honestly dont need my 8 iconics on 8.1.  keeping the morph memory neat and to the tidy bare essentials.
    but if i cant get the pose controls in, i'd have to redo my nla clips.  oh the pain and agony.

• TheKD said:

Surprisingly, that does work, though the effects and color layer do not transfer directly. The texture seems intact, though. Thank you.

Did you visit the forums at that site? Meipe has given a free update to a lot of his products in his forum section.

I'll check that out! Thank you!

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,666

I tried the update meipe put on the forum, worked with Victoria 8.1 at least. Don't have any other 8.1 girls installed to try. Wiped out my whole G8 directory and starting from scratch again lol. Amazing having g8 load in less than a second lol, because I only have a few things installed at the moment.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,524
    edited February 2021

Another render of Pandora - https://www.daz3d.com/pandora-hd-for-genesis-81-female

Pandora Explorer

PandoraExplorer.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 480K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,029
    edited February 2021

TheKD said:

I tried the update meipe put on the forum, worked with Victoria 8.1 at least. Don't have any other 8.1 girls installed to try. Wiped out my whole G8 directory and starting from scratch again lol. Amazing having g8 load in less than a second lol, because I only have a few things installed at the moment.

Is it in the forum there? I couldn't find it. But the maker might actually be 3feetwolf or something.

Post edited by RenderPretender on
  • SaintSaint Posts: 59

Couldn't find the answer in other threads so I'm sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place, but does anyone know the exact reason why the new Daz Iray PBRskin shader lacks Cutout Opacity? I understand that it's intended for skin but there are many skin products, especially geografts and geoshells, that rely on this property. It kinda limits my options and purchases I'd like to make; really like the new shader though, cleans up a lot faster and looks a lot nicer IMHO.

• Wow... this thread got really long, rather fast. I finally figured out where I went wrong in trying to apply my Victoria 8.1. You have to re-download starter 8 essentials. Duh. All the 8.1 items needed are there, for free. That's the problem I was having. Thanks for the help, mods!

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,666

Is there a way to get 8.1 to identify as 8?

• Forgive me if this has been asked previously in the thread (lots to read through, here), but:

Will the Measure Metrics script be updated to be G8.1 specific? Currently when attempting to use it on 8.1, I find that I have to tell it all over again which values to adjust (every time I launch it, even if I've done so in the past). The apply/remove scripts work just fine, so I can apply and clean up the metrics markers easily, but having to tell it "no, really, I want to adjust height on GF8.1 AGAIN" is getting a little tiresome.

Beyond that, all of my other questions were easy to find answers to (skin builder 8, expressions, etc).

Thank you in advance!

• Chronopunk said:

Forgive me if this has been asked previously in the thread (lots to read through, here), but:

Will the Measure Metrics script be updated to be G8.1 specific? Currently when attempting to use it on 8.1, I find that I have to tell it all over again which values to adjust (every time I launch it, even if I've done so in the past). The apply/remove scripts work just fine, so I can apply and clean up the metrics markers easily, but having to tell it "no, really, I want to adjust height on GF8.1 AGAIN" is getting a little tiresome.

Beyond that, all of my other questions were easy to find answers to (skin builder 8, expressions, etc).

Thank you in advance!

Is it creating a folder for Geensis 8.1 Female in

%AppData%\DAZ 3D\Studio4\resources\Figure Metrics\Presets\Configurations\

• Richard Haseltine said:

Chronopunk said:

Forgive me if this has been asked previously in the thread (lots to read through, here), but:

Thank you in advance!

Is it creating a folder for Geensis 8.1 Female in

%AppData%\DAZ 3D\Studio4\resources\Figure Metrics\Presets\Configurations\

Nope. I have:

Genesis

Genesis 2 (Male & Female)

Genesis 3 (Male & Female)

Genesis 8 (Male & Female)

But nothing for 8.1. I have attempted an uninstall/reinstall via DIMM and still no dice.

• If I use the disc icon on the Configuration tab (Click here to save a Configuration.. is the tool tip) then it creates a Genesis8_1Female folder with a .json file for my preset.

If I use the disc icon on the Configuration tab (Click here to save a Configuration.. is the tool tip) then it creates a Genesis8_1Female folder with a .json file for my preset.

Hm. I'll give that a shot later on.

Hopefully the script'll be updated soon, regardless. Save future users from wondering if they're doing it wrong. :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited February 2021

Chronopunk said:

Richard Haseltine said:

If I use the disc icon on the Configuration tab (Click here to save a Configuration.. is the tool tip) then it creates a Genesis8_1Female folder with a .json file for my preset.

Hopefully the script'll be updated soon, regardless. Save future users from wondering if they're doing it wrong. :)

The script is fine, what might be welcome if a starting preset for Genesis 8.1 - though you can copy the files from the Genesis8 folder to the matching Genesis8_1 folder (assuming the morphs used work on Genesi 8.1).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

my poor OCD

why are the 8.1 character textures in the 8 folder, when there is a perfectly lovely 81 texture folder?

81 textures.JPG
    465 x 605 - 51K

Chronopunk said:

Richard Haseltine said:

The script is fine, what might be welcome if a starting preset for Genesis 8.1 - though you can copy the files from the Genesis8 folder to the matching Genesis8_1 folder (assuming the morphs used work on Genesi 8.1).

That's essentially what I was trying to say, yeah. A preset would be good. I'm not sure if the body morphs are the same, though I would imagine they're close enough, given the pose compatibility. A word on the product updates page would go a long way, though.

• johnbpjohnbp Posts: 55

Mystiarra said:

my poor OCD

why are the 8.1 character textures in the 8 folder, when there is a perfectly lovely 81 texture folder?

Yeah, the entire organization of folders for 8.1 is stressing me out too.  Mixing some but not all makes everything take twice as long to find, and subject to a lot of errors when I think I found what I want, but it was really the other one under the other folder with a different name.  Same with expressions, poses, morphs, materials... why can't everything 8.1 specific be in the 8.1 folder?  I understand some work with both and I will have to get used to that... but things specific ONLY to 8.1 should be under 8.1.

I know you can manually move them, but in the past that has created problems when items update.  So I am not sure how to deal with it.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited February 2021

Anyone else had a similar issue? I opened a scene I created when G8.1F came out and the pose have since changed. it appears with the patches that have been applied to G8.1F the expressions may have been tweaked.  Here is the old scene I posted before::

And the same scene loaded shows a modified expression. Do we still need to delete/mask the 8.1 expression folders?

Duplicate post

testCapture4DNew.jpg
    947 x 805 - 240K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

Anyone else had a similar issue? I opened a scene I created when G8.1F came out and the pose have since changed. it appears with the patches that have been applied to G8.1F the expressions may have been tweaked.  Here is the old scene I posted before::

And the same scene loaded shows a modified expression. Do we still need to delete/mask the 8.1 expression folders?

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088

No, I think it's the G 8 folders. You don't need to delete them. You could just move them. Or, as I ended up doing, you can just rename them by leaving them in place and puting a .SAV at the end of each folder. Here's a screen shot:

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 12.03.50 PM.png
    362 x 265 - 27K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,293

inquire said:

No, I think it's the G 8 folders. You don't need to delete them. You could just move them. Or, as I ended up doing, you can just rename them by leaving them in place and puting a .SAV at the end of each folder. Here's a screen shot:

Changing the folder name should not work, as DS is reading all the folders irrespective of their name. 

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 740

PerttiA said:

inquire said:

Changing the folder name should not work, as DS is reading all the folders irrespective of their name. 

Yes; that is what I thought too.  This is why I just used Windows File Explorer to pack the two folders (in each directory) into a .zip archive.  That's almost as easy as a rename; File Explorer can "explore" inside .zip archives just by double clicking to open them.

edited February 2021

Tugpsx said:

Anyone else had a similar issue? I opened a scene I created when G8.1F came out and the pose have since changed. it appears with the patches that have been applied to G8.1F the expressions may have been tweaked. 

The last update to the 8.1 expressions was on January 26, 2021 (the package date) which I installed on February 5; that was very close to the date the package showed up in the DIM updates (maybe it was a day before that).  This is the Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials package.  It's the one that "owns" /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/Base Pose Head/.   I suggest going to that directory (inside your Daz 3D content directory) and making sure that everything is still there with the correct date (whatever date you actually updated the start essentials package), there should be around 250 files in there.

If it is not just re-install the starter essentials (I'm assuming you are using DIM...)

The beta has been updated, several times now.  I didn't see anything in the release notes that suggests the updates could alter G8.1F expressions but if you are using it try the General Release which has not been updated yet.

The various "fixes" to the non-functioning of G8F expressions could certainly explain what you see.  Re-installing the starter essentials should undo those fixes but if you did try one of the fixes this is the kind of thing I would expect since the fixes "unhide" G8F expression morphs.

Post edited by jbowler on

PerttiA said:

inquire said:

Hmmm. Interesting. Because I followed another person's advice, and that works for me. Also, moving the folders, such as to my Desktop, worked.

inquire said:

Hmmm. Interesting. Because I followed another person's advice, and that works for me. Also, moving the folders, such as to my Desktop, worked.

I just tried it (renaming the directories by putting .SAV on the end of the name) and it works for me too.

@jbowler: OK, good to know it works for you as well. Do you think it will present any problems if there are future updates directed at these folders? Or, as some have said, if a folder is missing or not found, the installer will just create a new folder: do you think that's how it works?

inquire said:

@jbowler: OK, good to know it works for you as well. Do you think it will present any problems if there are future updates directed at these folders? Or, as some have said, if a folder is missing or not found, the installer will just create a new folder: do you think that's how it works?

An update to the Genesis 8 Female or Male (as appropriate) Starter Essentials will simply put the folders back (and it won't remove the renamed, .SAV, folders).  Such an update is certain to occur.  However I have determined by experiment that existing scenes should not be damaged; I set "Afraid HD" on a G8.1F as part of my tests.  I then saved the scene, restored the removed Genesis8_1 folders and reloaded the scene.  "Afraid HD" was still listed in the "Currently Used" settings in the parameter tab and the character still displayed the expression.  If I added a new G8.1F character to the scene that (new) character does not have "Afraid HD" available, even though the setting is still on the other character.

I believe what is happening is that the scene .duf records the absolute location of the morphs and uses that first.  If morph isn't there I think DAZStudio goes looking for it in the Content Manager and in that case it will find the dummy morph file; DAZStudio apparently has a built in search list for G8.1F which looks in Genesis8_1 but then looks in Genesis8.  The "rename" trick might only work because the Content Manager doesn't know about the "new" .SAV directories, so you might find that your fix stops working if the CMS is rebuilt.  There are, unfortunately, a very large number of possibilities so I will stick to hiding the removed directories in a .zip archive.

@jbowler: OK, all good to know. Thanks very much. So, if I have those folders in place, and named with the .SAV at the end, can I remove the .SAV, and zip those folders, and still leave them there in place? Will that work, then? (I'm on a Macintosh, but I can zip things very easily.) 

Or, are you saying that I should first remove those folders (as, move them to the desktop, as I did before) and then zip them?