Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited February 2021

some confusion in the dsf/duf files  with the tongue parts carried over to 8.1

tongueBase, tongue01, tongue02, tongue03
    vs
    tongue01, tongue02, tongue03, tongue04

for the sake of other Daz aoftwares, please, should pick 1,
    duf node cant find it's dsf parent

Post edited by Mistara on
  • jd641jd641 Posts: 426
    edited February 2021

There's something I'm really not sure about.

With the new character Pandora from Mousso, I noticed that Mouth Realism HD was set to 100% and Mouth Realism 8.1 HD was also set to 100%. Are both suppsosed to be at 100% or should only the 8.1 dial be set to max?

Post edited by jd641 on
  • LucielLuciel Posts: 475

jd641 said:

There's something I'm really not sure about.

With the new character Pandora from Mousso, I noticed that Mouth Realism HD was set to 100% and Mouth Realism 8.1 HD was also set to 100%. Are both suppsosed to be at 100% or should only the 8.1 dial be set to max?

Victoria 8.1 also loads with both, so I assume it's intended. The 8.1 version dials in other by default, and they do slightly different things.

Though make sure the mouth is open otherwise any difference is invisible (as it only affects inside the mouth). 

do 8.0 hd morphs work on 8.1?

thanks.

• Mystiarra said:

thanks.

Yes, in DS 4.15+

Richard Haseltine said:

Mystiarra said:

thanks.

Yes, in DS 4.15+

oh dear.  thanks.  hard to tell the difference tween hd character meaning normal maps or actual morphs. 

i'm so happy with how 8.1 is looking in carrara, i'm ready to embrace it's products in a way i never could with 8.0

i want shop stuff that is specific to 8.1.  clothes, morphs. pose ercs.  if it doesnt have V8.1 or M8.1 support shapes, I don't want it,

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited February 2021

in all honesty @Mystiarra every single piece of clothing, hair and every pose (of those I've tried) for genesis 8 has worked perfectly for g8.1, I haven't had a single problem with that. It's only a few things, such a geoshells that isn't working properly. And of course it is the difference in UV's, even though all skins for G8 do work without a problem for G8.1

So clothing and such does not necesserily have to be solely for g8.1 to work on them, though I would like to see more g8.1 characters as well as (and this is merely a hope/plea/outright begging) that some of the current geoshell products get updated for the g8.1 :)

Post edited by Carola O on

but  ... V8.1 is shorter.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

Doesn't matter for clothes and such, atleast it hasn't for me

• vagansvagans Posts: 422
    edited February 2021

How does Kii'Na work being both G8 and G8.1? Does it have separate entries for both? It's only showing a single Apply.

Post edited by vagans on
  • This might be the best thread to ask it; how can I check if my G8 has had the update to 8.1? I can't quite gather that from the documentation available online. Nor can I find a way to procur them if need be ;-)

Hellwolve said:

This might be the best thread to ask it; how can I check if my G8 has had the update to 8.1? I can't quite gather that from the documentation available online. Nor can I find a way to procur them if need be ;-)

8.1 files are bundled into the genesis 8 starter essentials.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

vagans said:

How does Kii'Na work being both G8 and G8.1? Does it have separate entries for both? It's only showing a single Apply.

G8 and G8.1 have identical geometries, so a shape morph can be applied to either.  I assume Victoria 8.1F shape can be applied to the Genesis 8 Basic Female, but I haven't tried that.  Materials are different but there seems to be some fix-up code in Daz 4.15 that will put G8 torso materials on the correct G8.1 surfaces.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

Mystiarra said:

but  ... V8.1 is shorter.

V8.1 is just a character (morph), Genesis 8.1 Female is the base figure. There are a lot of shorter characters also for G8 without having problems fitting clothes on them either.

• I'm wanting to apply an aftermarket female genital (Meipe) to the G8.1F base, but I'm being told to select a G8 object and try again. Can I edit the Scene Identification to get the G8.1F to accept the genital graft/script, since the G8F/G8.1F geometries are supposedly the same?

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

jbowler said:

vagans said:

G8 and G8.1 have identical geometries, so a shape morph can be applied to either.  I assume Victoria 8.1F shape can be applied to the Genesis 8 Basic Female, but I haven't tried that.  Materials are different but there seems to be some fix-up code in Daz 4.15 that will put G8 torso materials on the correct G8.1 surfaces.

There's only 1 MAT according to the product description, though that could be incorrect since product descriptions for the features rarely match what you're actually getting. But if this a character that has a single geometry and a single MAT then it's G8, not 8.1 and this is a further example of ambiguous products between G8 and G8.1 not being specified correctly by either the PA or Daz QA. Customers could be expecting the character to have G8.1 materials.

RenderPretender said:

I'm wanting to apply an aftermarket female genital (Meipe) to the G8.1F base, but I'm being told to select a G8 object and try again. Can I edit the Scene Identification to get the G8.1F to accept the genital graft/script, since the G8F/G8.1F geometries are supposedly the same?

I would try loading a G8 Female to the scene as well, using the same materials for both, load the genital to G8, fit the genital first to nul and then to G8.1 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

jbowler said:

I assume Victoria 8.1F shape can be applied to the Genesis 8 Basic Female, but I haven't tried that. 

No, at least not directly.

G8.1F automatically loads morphs installed in both G8F and G8.1F data folders, so G8.1F can use G8F morphs (in DS4.15, at least). However G8F doesn't load morphs from G8.1F data folders, only the G8F ones. V8.1 morph files are located in G8.1F data folder, so your G8F figure doesn't see that morph and can't use it.

It might be possible to get it to work by copying or moving the needed files to the G8F data folder, and maybe editing some of the data files.

• PerttiA said:

RenderPretender said:

I'm wanting to apply an aftermarket female genital (Meipe) to the G8.1F base, but I'm being told to select a G8 object and try again. Can I edit the Scene Identification to get the G8.1F to accept the genital graft/script, since the G8F/G8.1F geometries are supposedly the same?

I would try loading a G8 Female to the scene as well, using the same materials for both, load the genital to G8, fit the genital first to nul and then to G8.1 

Surprisingly, that does work, though the effects and color layer do not transfer directly. The texture seems intact, though. Thank you.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

Surprisingly, that does work, though the effects and color layer do not transfer directly. The texture seems intact, though. Thank you.

Did you visit the forums at that site? Meipe has given a free update to a lot of his products in his forum section.

TheKD said:

Did you visit the forums at that site? Meipe has given a free update to a lot of his products in his forum section.

The GoldenPalace update from January does not fix the material-copy-script problem.  It's a .dse (encrypted) so it can't be fixed although the fix is probably trivial for the author.  The problem was discussed in this thread before, along with the (pretty trivial) work-round.  In the case in question simply select the G8.1 figure, go to the surfaces tab and open the figure surfaces then seelct "Body" (a necessary step), right click and select "copy selected surfaces", select the Meipe (or other) graft, right click and select, "paste to selected surfaces".

Ah I see. I didn't know his/her update didn't totally fix it. Still using newgen personally, so I grabbed the update mieppe offered, but didn't install it and try it yet.

TheKD said:

Ah I see. I didn't know his/her update didn't totally fix it. Still using newgen personally, so I grabbed the update mieppe offered, but didn't install it and try it yet.

Don't take my word on that; I just checked and it doesn't appear that I downloaded a new version of GP; there's nothing about an update on the product page.  I just "reset" my download link and re-downloaded it, the .dsx is identical: ProductFileGuid VALUE="1e8062aa-a920-4acd-a4ea-eb4d5cd94114".

• s_j_gregorys_j_gregory Posts: 103
    edited February 2021

In the notes I have made for myself, the Meipe replacement copy script (available from Meipe over there for free) works for Golden Palace v2.  (It adds a new MAT Copy script (step 3 of the installation sequence provided by the author) in a new sub-folder).  I found it to work as advertised but perhpas you are finding something else I need to look at.   

There is also a NGV8 fix over there too but it is a bit challenging to do as it involves editing in Notepad++.  Doable for sure but not as easy as using Meipe's provided fix. 

Post edited by s_j_gregory on

Yeah, the update is a dropbox link in forum, I don't think it is live in the store yet. Getting to the forums kind of a pain unless you know the way there. On the top of the page click Community, then on the left sidebar at the top there is forums. Then you can scroll down to the product support section, a lot of vendors have there own section.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

I don't know if this has been asked or answered before, but I don't want to read the 30+ pages I missed. I am using the new face thing (rig?) and I have an expression I want to save. It's a mixture of morphs on the 8.1 figure, and changes to the Face Rig parameters. Do I have to save poses for both or will saving just the settings on the figure work? 

copying the pose controls from 8.0 morphs folder to 8.1 folder isn't enough to make it work 

is prolly a bad idea to use pose controls in animations, but makes it easier. >.<

• HellwolveHellwolve Posts: 156
    edited February 2021

Mystiarra said:

Hellwolve said:

This might be the best thread to ask it; how can I check if my G8 has had the update to 8.1? I can't quite gather that from the documentation available online. Nor can I find a way to procur them if need be ;-)

I've got those installed, yet when trying to load Torment, I got error messages about files missing. But I found where it went wrong; apperently it didn't like that I've got my content set up elsewhere than the standard location, elsewhere than the program - it had installed updates in a place that wasn't in my current directory listings. I fixed that, and now I can load the fella :-)

Post edited by Hellwolve on

Hellwolve said:

Mystiarra said:

Hellwolve said:

I've got those installed, yet when trying to load Torment, I get error messages about files missing.

When have you installed/updated the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials, the G8.1 files were added to the G8 Starter Essentials with the release of G8.1.