Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850

I would also ask a question to the buyers of https://www.daz3d.com/pandora-hd-for-genesis-81-female

if you could make some renders of her, please.

There is also interesting item released today - https://www.daz3d.com/natural-eyes-ii-for-genesis-81-females-and-males

Any comments on it, please.

• Pandora HD... you know you're going to get something of at least reasonable quality out of Mousso.

The character/figure didn't show up under Figures in Smart Content, but metadata issues are standard these days from the Daz store.

She comes with the standard Iray materials & the new PBR materials, which is nice for those who prefer the old surfaces or want to try the new stuff.

HOWEVER... the naming & icons for the Materials are "donkey". I can't tell which one is the new PBR, and which one is the old Iray setting. So it's a lot of guessing if it's going to convert the surface to one or the other when I click the icon. I seem to get the clown face when I try to apply the Makeup to the PBR skin right now, so meh.

Yes, the PBR does use the Detail channel. So at least that is working.

I mean, it's worth it so see Mousso's interpretation of the PBR shader. It's new for everyone. However, some of it isn't working as expected for me, and the icons do not help. It's probably easier to take an older Mousso figure, Ctrl-Click the PBR settings from Pandora onto her, add the Detail channel by hand, and then see what it does. (At least the Makeup won't need tweaking.) Actually, I might just do that with Pandora's skin because the default PBR makeup is clownface on my machine.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Artini said:

I would also ask a question to the buyers of https://www.daz3d.com/pandora-hd-for-genesis-81-female

if you could make some renders of her, please.

There is also interesting item released today - https://www.daz3d.com/natural-eyes-ii-for-genesis-81-females-and-males

Any comments on it, please.

There are a couple of new renders up in the commercial thread for Natural Eyes II

• The Blurst of Times said:

Pandora HD... you know you're going to get something of at least reasonable quality out of Mousso.

The character/figure didn't show up under Figures in Smart Content, but metadata issues are standard these days from the Daz store.

She comes with the standard Iray materials & the new PBR materials, which is nice for those who prefer the old surfaces or want to try the new stuff.

HOWEVER... the naming & icons for the Materials are "donkey". I can't tell which one is the new PBR, and which one is the old Iray setting. So it's a lot of guessing if it's going to convert the surface to one or the other when I click the icon. I seem to get the clown face when I try to apply the Makeup to the PBR skin right now, so meh.

I mean, it's worth it so see Mousso's interpretation of the PBR shader. It's new for everyone. However, some of it isn't working as expected for me, and the icons do not help. It's probably easier to take an older Mousso figure, Ctrl-Click the PBR settings from Pandora onto her, add the Detail channel by hand, and then see what it does. (At least the Makeup won't need tweaking.) Actually, I might just do that with Pandora's skin because the default PBR makeup is clownface on my machine.

Weird i get her to work perfectly (no clownface)  and the folders are iray legacy and iray PBR   maybe its the blush thats throwing stuff off  maybe LIE ?  i know theres a prob with the new verssions  not showing that correctly  ? 

• RenderScot said:

The Blurst of Times said:

Pandora HD... you know you're going to get something of at least reasonable quality out of Mousso.

Weird i get her to work perfectly (no clownface)  and the folders are iray legacy and iray PBR   maybe its the blush thats throwing stuff off  maybe LIE ?  i know theres a prob with the new verssions  not showing that correctly  ? 

Could be they've updated it since I installed Pandora because ALL of the materials are in the same bin for me. No PBR, no Legacy folder. Also, the Figure was not categorized properly, so I had to do that by hand as well.

• The Blurst of Times  must have been hope it all works for you now  :)   this is Pandora  with the new natural eyes product used  love her

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited February 2021

RenderScot said:

The Blurst of Times  must have been hope it all works for you now  :)   this is Pandora  with the new natural eyes product used  love her

Can I ask what hair that is?  

Post edited by Chohole on
  • melissastjames said:

of course no problem ;)   its Natsuki the one that was used on main promo for Pandora https://www.daz3d.com/natsuki-hair-for-genesis-8-females

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

Here is mine with Pandora.

Just a girl.png
    1400 x 1500 - 3M
  • The Blurst of Times said:

RenderScot said:

The Blurst of Times said:

Could be they've updated it since I installed Pandora because ALL of the materials are in the same bin for me. No PBR, no Legacy folder. Also, the Figure was not categorized properly, so I had to do that by hand as well.

But that is DAZ's fault. They are doing the smart content metadata. When you use the content library views, all items are perfectly sorted into appropriate folders. 

It's a bit sad that DAZ messed up with smart content, but at least they did not mess up as much as with other products. 

• Turbocharged Victoria 8.1 by the artist who created her.

https://www.artstation.com/hyeseonoh

Ok, so she's done xgen hair and rendered in Maya but it certainly shows the scope of the character. Lovely isn't it?

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

RenderScot said:

melissastjames said:

of course no problem ;)   its Natsuki the one that was used on main promo for Pandora https://www.daz3d.com/natsuki-hair-for-genesis-8-females

Thanks! 

• Ceridwen said:

Turbocharged Victoria 8.1 by the artist who created her.

Ok, so she's done xgen hair and rendered in Maya but it certainly shows the scope of the character. Lovely isn't it?

She does a great job!!

• Ceridwen said:

Turbocharged Victoria 8.1 by the artist who created her.

She does a great job!!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Leonides02 said:

fred9803 said:

I really like what can be achieved with V8.1 and the new shader. These pictures look stunning. I'm curious though about the slow uptake by PAs of the updated model and its new features. Usually after a new release there's a flood of products in the store.

Agreed. I feel like I won't buy another figure unless it's PBR / 8.1 !

Agreed, almost completely.

Interesting shape, then perhaps - or really good textures - not merchant resource.

I'm certainly not buying any more of those, and will be returning any I buy thinking they aren't.

• Since they've decided to include the vellus hair in the Michael 8.1 pack, have they've updated Victoria 8.1, by any chance?

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

I suppose you can be forgiven for not reading through all 52 pages.

but yes, it has been

It can be found under People>Genesis 8 Female>Anatomy>Genesis 8.1 Female Vellus Hair

edited February 2021

Mousso is a great artist, and her latest creation of Pandora

https://www.daz3d.com/pandora-hd-for-genesis-81-female

does not disappoint. No question about that.

I just wish she could provide one smile / happy expression with her characters, like BlueJaunte does.

Something similar to the famous Britney Spears smile would be nice to have.

I have tried different Genesis 8.1 expressions, I have purchased and neither of them works well on Pandora.

I need to play more with the face controls, though.

Pandora01pic07.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 267K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited February 2021

Another render of Pandora - still not happy with her expression...

Pandora02pic04.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 187K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited February 2021

Pandora forever - I like this one the best - so far ...

Pandora03pic01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 264K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Another render of Pandora - still not happy with her expression...

I think you did a great job. Moussos characters are my favourites, but Pandora is a bit .... complicated. She looks a bit too...dangerous? angry? pi**ed? 

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Used Natural Eyes II for the eyes. I think I ended up using Pandora's teeth. I tried every trick my limited knowledge knew to try to get the teeth to have a little wetness to them. I also tried to gloss the lips a little more and couldn't get that accomplished either....

Thanks, Mark. I am still experimenting with expressions for Pandora or Genesis 8.1 characters.

• Whew!  I finally made it!  I read every post!  There is a lot of great information in this thread.  Thank you all for your efforts.

Btw, very impressed with V8.1.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

Hopefully a daz person will come along and explain about why the expressions were voided out. Was it a mistake? Was it done on purpose for a good reason? Is it possible that one of those expressions dialed in just right(or wrong depending on your point of view) results in dividing by zero and imploding the univers into our GPU? Inquiring minds wanna know.

• Does it make any difference whether you use Iray and PBR in the same scene, maybe on different characters?

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742
    edited February 2021

sandmanmax said:

Does it make any difference whether you use Iray and PBR in the same scene, maybe on different characters?

No; it's just a different Iray shader with options laid out in a different way to Iray Uber.  The nice thing about it is that the option groups have simple on/off switches and each switches off all the sub-options; it's easy to see what is on.  I think if I was setting up a new materials setting I might just use PBRSkin rather than Iray Uber because of that; flat white paint is really easy...  I believe it is necessary to have DAZStudio 4.15+ to use it; there's support inside the program.

EDIT: take a look at the V8.1 surfaces.  Check the surface for the cornea and other parts of the eyes.  You will see that those (or some of them) still use the Iray Uber shader whereas the rest of the surfaces use Iray PBRSkin.  So mix'n'match in a single character is no problem either.

Post edited by jbowler on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

starting to appreciate the work that went into her upgrade

Doc3.png
    1280 x 960 - 630K
  • I'll throw this out here and likely demonstrate how superficial my understanding of all things DAZ Studio really is.  I note that there is some clothing starting to appear identified as sutable for G8 and G8.1.  In those I have checked, if they have FBMs listed, they are for G8 characters (including V8) only.  I don't have V8.1 but I have read here she is not the same proportions as V8.  So it is tough for me to confirm my hypothesis.  But here it is: (1) these new clothing, identified as suitable for G8 and G8.1, are no more (or less) suitable than any of the other G8 clothing that I have.  (THIS IS REALLY GOOD NEWS)  (2) In fact, they are clothing built for G8 and labelled as suitable for G8.1.  (3) They will trigger auto-follow when applied.  (4) If they had been built for G8.1 they would include a FBM for V8.1 and would not use auto-follow to fit.  (5) And because auto-follow is occuring, there could be minor deformations of geometry (like those that could occur with auto fit when moving clothing between generations) particularly in areas of belts, buttons, buckles etc.       

I wish I had V8.1 with which to experiment.  I suspect these differences are very minor, and weighed against being able to use G8 clothing on G8.1, very very trivial.  But unless I really don't understand, I would have expected to see FBMs for V8.1 and Pandora HD 8.1 in clothing labelled as suitable for G8.1???     

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited February 2021

s_j_gregory said:

I'll throw this out here and likely demonstrate how superficial my understanding of all things DAZ Studio really is.  I note that there is some clothing starting to appear identified as sutable for G8 and G8.1.  In those I have checked, if they have FBMs listed, they are for G8 characters (including V8) only.  I don't have V8.1 but I have read here she is not the same proportions as V8.  So it is tough for me to confirm my hypothesis.  But here it is: (1) these new clothing, identified as suitable for G8 and G8.1, are no more (or less) suitable than any of the other G8 clothing that I have.  (THIS IS REALLY GOOD NEWS)  (2) In fact, they are clothing built for G8 and labelled as suitable for G8.1.  (3) They will trigger auto-follow when applied.  (4) If they had been built for G8.1 they would include a FBM for V8.1 and would not use auto-follow to fit.  (5) And because auto-follow is occuring, there could be minor deformations of geometry (like those that could occur with auto fit when moving clothing between generations) particularly in areas of belts, buttons, buckles etc.       

I wish I had V8.1 with which to experiment.  I suspect these differences are very minor, and weighed against being able to use G8 clothing on G8.1, very very trivial.  But unless I really don't understand, I would have expected to see FBMs for V8.1 and Pandora HD 8.1 in clothing labelled as suitable for G8.1???     

in my personal experience, rigid groups are not worth the hassle.  a kind person made a ds script to remove rigid groups.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6397326/#Comment_6397326

and beware the geograft shoes >.<  some doesnt give a warning in product descriptions.

Post edited by Mistara on