Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1

Comments

• I read through most of this post and I am confused about Anatomical Elements for Genesis 8.1.  I have found Female Genitalia for Female G8  and Male Genitalia for Male G8, nothing new there.  Now I find new elements that are Female Genitalia for Male G8.1 and Male Genitalia for Female G8.1, these are very new.  But what I don't see are new Female Genitalia for Female G8.1 or new Male Genitalia for Male G8.1   I bought both Victoria 8.1 and Michael 8.1, no bundles just the characters.   Am I to assume that the Genesis 8 Female and Male Genitalia work on Gensis 8.1 Females and Males?  Or am I missing something?

I hope they recatagorize the Genesis 8.1 Starter Essentials, as where some of the new G.1 stuff is located makes no sense to me.

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited February 2021

EDIT: Nevermind...

Is there really a new G8.1 anatomical prop? The ones that I see say Genesis 8 Anatomical Elements.

OF course, missing things due to metadata is still an issue all around, for me.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

melissastjames said:

Luciel said:

melissastjames said:

So has anybody found visemes for G8.1? I had them for G8 but can't find them on G8.1...

The only way i've found to get visemes on 8.1 is to load an 8 character onto the 8.1 base. 

This will add the visemes in the normal place (head/visemes, and they still work), and then you can load an 8.1 character over that.

So basically, load basic 8.1, load any Genesis 8 ontop of that, and then load the 8.1 character after for visemes. 

Ok, so I loaded a base G8.1F and then tried to load Angharad 8 over that...and DAZ is like NOPE. Hangs. Cntrl+Alt+Delete. 

I suppose the question remains...ARE THERE SUPPOSED TO BE VISEMES FOR 8.1 AND IF NO, WHY NOT? 

I would really like to know that too.  I have Anilip 2 and the visemes it provides do appear on an 8.1 character, however the product page doesn't list 8.1 as supported whereas G8 wardrobe items seem to list 8.1.  I don't want to commit to 8.1 characters if Anilip doesn't work (it's on my to-be-tested list).

I have seen the slow "overload" time of a G8 character on a G8.1 base; it's significantly slower to load a G8F over Genesis 8.1 Basic Female than to load either Victoria 8.1 or Victoria 8.  I assumed it was because of the fix-ups for the torso texture.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

melissastjames said:

Luciel said:

melissastjames said:

So has anybody found visemes for G8.1? I had them for G8 but can't find them on G8.1...

The only way i've found to get visemes on 8.1 is to load an 8 character onto the 8.1 base. 

This will add the visemes in the normal place (head/visemes, and they still work), and then you can load an 8.1 character over that.

So basically, load basic 8.1, load any Genesis 8 ontop of that, and then load the 8.1 character after for visemes. 

Ok, so I loaded a base G8.1F and then tried to load Angharad 8 over that...and DAZ is like NOPE. Hangs. Cntrl+Alt+Delete. 

I suppose the question remains...ARE THERE SUPPOSED TO BE VISEMES FOR 8.1 AND IF NO, WHY NOT? 

Are you using DS 4.15 and have you removed the placeholder expressions in;

...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited February 2021

PerttiA said:

melissastjames said:

Luciel said:

melissastjames said:

Yes, and why would I want to do that? Would I not lose my base G8.1 Expressions (Happy, Flirt, Concentrate, etc)? Those are the only expressions I use, along with Visemes.  

Post edited by MelissaGT on

melissastjames said:

PerttiA said:

melissastjames said:

Luciel said:

melissastjames said:

Yes, and why would I want to do that? Would I not lose my base G8.1 Expressions (Happy, Flirt, Concentrate, etc)? Those are the only expressions I use, along with Visemes.  

The files thet are installed in those directories do not have any function, other than preventing the corresponding G8 expressions from appearing in the properties tab of G8.1. You can check them yourself, open them up in Notepad++ and you see there's nothing happening.

Once the placeholder files have been removed, all the base G8 expressions are available and working, including the visemes, and also the previously non-functioning G8 expression dials start working as they can now find the base expressions they were looking for.

• Just having a wee play around with light and HDRIs   hope you all like :) 

melissastjames said:

PerttiA said:

melissastjames said:

Luciel said:

melissastjames said:

The modifier files that are blocking the Visemes are the ones in "Base Pose Head" with file names of the form: eCTRLvAA.dsf; so the part of the file name in italics identifies the viseme.  The files mean that the modifier has no effect, so if Anilip 2 (for example) is relying on the Daz provided "AA" modifier then sentences which use AA are going to, effectively, have blank spots - drop outs in the animation.  Anilip 2 provides separate jaw and lip visemes for "AA" but not a "full" viseme, like it does for "AO"; "AO" is not one of the Daz provided visemes.

You can temporarily remove just the visemes modifiers by going into the "Base Pose Head" directory for G8F and G8M using Windows File Explorer, selecting the viseme files (all the ones which match the name eCTRLv*.dsf), right clicking on the selection and selecting Send to/Compressed (zipped) folder (to save the files), double check the contents (double click on eCTRLvAA.zip) and delete the original files.  After you have done this the visemes will be back when you load a new character or when you re-load the scene (they won't appear on existing characters until you save/load the scene.)

This allows you to get to just the visemes without potentially messing anything else up.

I don't have the faintest idea which Daz did this and, so far as I can tell, no one else does.  I do assume it was done for some good reason so I am very unwilling to simply delete files from my installation.  The deletion is also temporary; those files will get regenerated when the relevant package is re-installed.

Maybe Anilip 2 only uses the "jaw only" and "lip only" visemes; I did test "AA" and the Daz AA exactly matches the Anilip 2 result of setting "AA Jaw Only" and "AA Lips Only" to 100%, the Anilip jaw and lip visemes have a parameter limit set to 100% but the Daz viseme (which, as I said, is identical at 100%) is limited to 100%.  The Anilip 2 additional "complete" viseme is also limited to 100% (e.g. for AO).  @dobit has this to say:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/300241/released-anilip-2-commercial/p7

See the fourth comment on that page.

edited February 2021

PerttiA said:

melissastjames said:

PerttiA said:

melissastjames said:

Luciel said:

melissastjames said:

The files thet are installed in those directories do not have any function, other than preventing the corresponding G8 expressions from appearing in the properties tab of G8.1. You can check them yourself, open them up in Notepad++ and you see there's nothing happening.

Once the placeholder files have been removed, all the base G8 expressions are available and working, including the visemes, and also the previously non-functioning G8 expression dials start working as they can now find the base expressions they were looking for.

Ok, I tried this for just the female to test and 8.1 loaded in and I see the G8 base expressions and G8.1 base expressions...so now I can choose between "Sarcastic HD" that I had for G8 and the "Sarcastic" base expression that I had for G8.1...because they do look different. I noticed before when I had G8 and G8.1 side by side that the base expressions behaved a bit differently, some more than others. It's kinda neat that I have the choice of both...not sure if it was supposed to be that way, but it's working and I guess I'll keep it that way until I notice if something else breaks, lol. I kept backups in an outside folder. The visemes are there now too.  

But now that leads me to another question...WHY DID DAZ BREAK THE BASE EXPRESSION AND VISEME SLIDERS IF THEY DO, IN FACT, WORK ON G8.1?

• PerttiA said:

I did your suggestion, remember that any advice or tip can be replicated for anyone reading your post and not only the person you are adressing, careful.

now I don't have Visemes neither on G8 nor G8.1

Zilvergrafix said:

PerttiA said:

I did your suggestion, remember that any advice or tip can be replicated for anyone reading your post and not only the person you are adressing, careful.

And you removed the expressions from the G8.1 expression folders, not G8 expression folders? 

PerttiA said:

Zilvergrafix said:

PerttiA said:

And you removed the expressions from the G8.1 expression folders, not G8 expression folders? 

I'm seeing both "Expressions" and "Expressions 8.1"...and both work now so I'm happy. And on top of that, I have Visemes that work on G8.1.  

• PerttiA said:

Don't worry I did a reversal and all good now.

I tried just as an exercise of troubleshooting issue processes and maybe documenting. 

Zilvergrafix said:

PerttiA said:

Make sure you have the Morph files in:

[CMS Root Directory]\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Base Pose Head 259 files
    [CMS Root Directory]\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Expressions 160 files
    [CMS Root Directory]\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Base Pose Head 259 files
    [CMS Root Directory]\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Expressions 160 files

The files to save away are in the 8_1 directories, so if you look in:

[CMS Root Directory]\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8

You expect to see:

The Genitalia directories only appear if you have bought G8 pro packages.  I believe most of the content of the other directories comes from the G8 "starter essentials" packages.  If you use DIM you can check on those packages to see what files they have installed and, if necessary, uninstall/re-install to get them back (if you use multiple CMS directories take care to get the re-install to the correct "Content Path Shortcut" - this isn't an update :-).

data-Daz3D-Genesis_8.JPG
    1068 x 708 - 102K
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    Damsel said:

I am REALLY liking 8.1. A LOT. Really a lot. So where TF are they? I wants me some Asian and Black and Indigenous and East Asian characters. Yesterday would be good. I'm a cover artist, and my clients do every race and gender (up to and including werewolves and assorted aliens in interesting shades). So I really am not interested in any more 8 anything, which often look waxy and/or too red. Gimmee 8.1s, please. Also a skin shader system for exotic skin colors (oranges and blues, etc.; there is one for 8) for 8.1. Please? Pretty please?

I would really like to start playing more with the new shader, but I also have a ton of characters with different skin tones and I swap maps around a lot to get unique looks. I might start trying to convert the older textures I bought to the new UVs in Substance Painter (which should put out AO maps as well), but not everyone has access to that and I'd be happy to pick up some characters made by experts. I wonder if they're holding them for the next core figure release or something.
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

melissastjames said:

PerttiA said:

melissastjames said:

Luciel said:

melissastjames said:

I've moved those folders:  Base Pose Head and Expressions to my Desktop (Macintosh). But most of all, I'm wondering: will this cause problems later?

Someone wrote that those folders will be regenerated with a later installation, should they be needed. Is this true? And, of course, WHY did DAZ do this? The expressions do look a bit different on 8.0 and 8.1, but I like that. Why not have the choice?

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,262

inquire said:

melissastjames said:

PerttiA said:

melissastjames said:

Luciel said:

melissastjames said:

I've moved those folders:  Base Pose Head and Expressions to my Desktop (Macintosh). But most of all, I'm wondering: will this cause problems later?

Someone wrote that those folders will be regenerated with a later installation, should they be needed. Is this true? And, of course, WHY did DAZ do this? The expressions do look a bit different on 8.0 and 8.1, but I like that. Why not have the choice?

They expressions look different because the two figures have two different sets of facial bones designed to work in slightly different ways.  It is one of those damned if you do/damned if you don't situations.  if you leave the expressions in place, people complain that my "patented Trixie ® character doesn't have her trademark smirk...she looks wrong and Daz3d has ruined my life" and if you remove them, people complain theat they can't apply some old expressions.  Daz3d chose the latter since expressions tht didn't rely on those changed bones still worked between the two figures, it reduced load time, and people would complain about the expressions not applying exactly the same way.  They got the expected complaints.

edited February 2021

nemesis10 said:

They expressions look different because the two figures have two different sets of facial bones designed to work in slightly different ways.  It is one of those damned if you do/damned if you don't situations.  if you leave the expressions in place, people complain that my "patented Trixie ® character doesn't have her trademark smirk...she looks wrong and Daz3d has ruined my life" and if you remove them, people complain theat they can't apply some old expressions.  Daz3d chose the latter since expressions tht didn't rely on those changed bones still worked between the two figures, it reduced load time, and people would complain about the expressions not applying exactly the same way.  They got the expected complaints.

Makes sense to me; my Anilip test just concluded and the first frame shows the extremely slight differences in the base characters:

That's G8 and G8.1 basic females colocated with all surfaces set to an Iray "flat" paint texture (i.e. a US latex paint) and the base color changed to red for G8F, green for G8.1F.  Cutout opacity on both is 0.7.  Both characters are saying "Aardvark", but there is no discernable difference in the frames beyond the base differences shown above; that's slightly contrary to what @nemesis10 said, but I believe the basic premis is correct; the geometry changed very subtly, so damned if you are right, damned if you are wrong.

Gensis 8.1v8 surface test.png
    923 x 921 - 1M
    Post edited by jbowler on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

jbowler said:

nemesis10 said:

Makes sense to me; my Anilip test just concluded and the first frame shows the extremely slight differences in the base characters:

That's G8 and G8.1 basic females colocated with all surfaces set to an Iray "flat" paint texture (i.e. a US latex paint) and the base color changed to red for G8F, green for G8.1F.  Cutout opacity on both is 0.7.  Both characters are saying "Aardvark", but there is no discernable difference in the frames beyond the base differences shown above; that's slightly contrary to what @nemesis10 said, but I believe the basic premis is correct; the geometry changed very subtly, so damned if you are right, damned if you are wrong.

The differences are so small as to be immaterial. 

This was really an odd move by Daz. Hard to understand.

Leonides02 said:

jbowler said:

nemesis10 said:

I wasn't using the blocked eCTRL modifiers which @nemesis10 suggests modify bones that have changed significantly.  The base figures are significantly changed; it may be very small but it is there.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,262

"The differences are so small as to be immaterial. "  Hah, you gave me my first laugh of the day!  There is nothing in Dazland that is too small that people won't complain that it has ruined their life forever!  If you made a shirt and give it 5 buttons, people would gripe that you should have made so that there was a version that had 3 and six buttons because their web comic has characters who have only 3 and six button shirts....

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

jbowler said:

Leonides02 said:

jbowler said:

nemesis10 said:

I wasn't using the blocked eCTRL modifiers which @nemesis10 suggests modify bones that have changed significantly.  The base figures are significantly changed; it may be very small but it is there.

I've been using my G8 expressions on my G8.1 and honestly haven't noticed a lick of difference. 

edited February 2021

nemesis10 said:

inquire said:

melissastjames said:

PerttiA said:

melissastjames said:

Luciel said:

melissastjames said:

No, I meant the expressions themselves are actually different. Now that I have both G8 Expressions and G8.1 Expressions showing and working on G8.1...and I load in "Happy G8" and then compare it to "Happy G8.1"...they are two completely different expressions. "Happy G8" looks the same on G8.1 as it did on G8...a smile with a little bit of teeth. "Happy G8.1" is a full open-mouthed smile with lots of teeth. "Concentrate G8" looks the same on G8.1 as it did on G8...but "Concentrate G8.1" has a flatter and more pursed mouth shape. 

jbowler said:

nemesis10 said:

There was a serious flaw in my test - the Genesis 8.1 sub-division levels have changed.  Once I correctly them so that G8 uses the same sub-division as G8.1 the differences revealed themselves to be math errors.  Indeed, this is what should be expected because I was showing the base figures with no bone changes whatsover:

image With the AA viseme: image A close-up of the mouth:image

I checked all the visemes that have been deleted; I couldn't see a significant difference in the surfaces in any of them.  I checked all of the removed visemes, each singly at 100%, and I couldn't see any significant difference in the surfaces so I checked one of the other "fundamental" Base Pose Head modifiers, ePHMCheekCreaseL.dsf, no change for that one either:

image To illustrate what a significant change looks like this is what happens with just one of the actors having the setting; G8F only:image or G8.1F only:image

There are a lot of other Base Head Pose modifiers in there; there are a total of 255 modifier files and they have apparently all been "dummied out".  Not all those files directly modify the geometry; many of them just use other modifiers in the same directory.  It would be informative if someone knows of either a fundamental modifier or maybe a G8.1 bone which has changed behavior; so far I haven't found an example (and I'm not going to check all the modifiers...)

Basic Femal surfaces (subdiv 3).jpg
    444 x 640 - 38K
    Basic Femal surfaces (subdiv 3) AA viseme (full).jpg
    444 x 640 - 38K
    Basic Femal surfaces (subdiv 3) AA viseme.jpg
    500 x 500 - 32K
    Basic Femal surfaces (subdiv 3) Cheek Crease Left (both).jpg
    444 x 640 - 38K
    Basic Femal surfaces (subdiv 3) Cheek Crease Left (G8F only).jpg
    444 x 640 - 36K
    Basic Femal surfaces (subdiv 3) Cheek Crease Left (G8x1F only).jpg
    444 x 640 - 36K
  • M-CM-C Posts: 102

I did a side by side comparison of the eyes of Genesis 8.0 vs 8.1 and it looks like the eyes of my figures have been exchanged somehow.
    On the picture below is Genesis 8.0 on the LEFT vs 8.1 on the RIGHT side. Both are shown at subdivision 2 and without any extra morphs loaded.
    Shouldn´t the left ones be the eyes of the new 8.1 figure? I´m confused.

Genesis 8 eyes.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 331K
    edited February 2021

M-C said:

I did a side by side comparison of the eyes of Genesis 8.0 vs 8.1 and it looks like the eyes of my figures have been exchanged somehow.
    On the picture below is Genesis 8.0 on the LEFT vs 8.1 on the RIGHT side. Both are shown at subdivision 2 and without any extra morphs loaded.

Set the cut-out opacity on all Genesis 8.1 Female "Cornea" surface to "0.9" and you will see what is happening.  So far as I know the geometries are identical; you are seeing a math rounding error (well, really it is a feature of floating point arithmetic).

Post edited by jbowler on
  • M-CM-C Posts: 102

jbowler said:

M-C said:

Set the cut-out opacity on all Genesis 8.1 Female "Cornea" surface to "0.9" and you will see what is happening.  So far as I know the geometries are identical; you are seeing a math rounding error (well, really it is a feature of floating point arithmetic).

Thank you! That did the trick.
    Must have missed that info somewhere in this huge thread. smiley

M-C said:

jbowler said:

M-C said:

Thank you! That did the trick.
    Must have missed that info somewhere in this huge thread. smiley

First time I think ;-)  It's a bit weird; the geometries should be the same and the only difference in the cornea surface materials is that G8.1F now has a normal map but even if they are identical the wire-shaded and wire-texture-shaded displays still show the cornea apparently in front in G8.1F and maybe coincident in G8F.  However it doesn't behave like a math error either; if I make the G8F cornea shade into "flat paint" it hides the iris wires.  Apparently "wire shaded" regards the cornea as transparent in G8F and opaque in G8.1F; I clearly don't understand the Iray Uber settings well enough.

• I think G8.2 fix or improve bends arms and legs .

Provided that is not affected by the position of the clothes .

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

Has anyone bought Mousso's Pandora HD? How does she compare to Vicky 8.1? I'm thinking of buying Pandora as my first 8.1 character. She's way cheaper than Vicky and comes with extra hair and $30 worth of free items.