SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I don't understand the shoes on that outfit. There's no strap between the big toe and next toe to keep them on - I feel they would fall off when walking as they are now..there's nothing really keeping them on the foot.  

Serene Night said:

The Kahuna outfit is dForce and Gen 8.1 only. It doesn't fit on G8, so don't bother if that is all you use.

I like the outfit. I made some adjustments on Boyd. The sunglasses were too narrow, so I widened them slightly. I also made the flip flops a bit smaller. They were quite spacious. Overall, I like the set, but the back of the tank seems a bit high and thick. I wish there was less fabric there, and I could see Boyd's neck.

I do really like the textures. They are sporty and beachy.  This is useful. Oh, and I should say the pants do fit over the gens. 

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,286

They are a really common kind of shoe... If you google "slide sandal", you will see a ton of them; the friction of the wide band keeps them on your feet.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,278

jakiblue said:

I don't understand the shoes on that outfit. There's no strap between the big toe and next toe to keep them on - I feel they would fall off when walking as they are now..there's nothing really keeping them on the foot.  

Serene Night said:

The Kahuna outfit is dForce and Gen 8.1 only. It doesn't fit on G8, so don't bother if that is all you use.

I like the outfit. I made some adjustments on Boyd. The sunglasses were too narrow, so I widened them slightly. I also made the flip flops a bit smaller. They were quite spacious. Overall, I like the set, but the back of the tank seems a bit high and thick. I wish there was less fabric there, and I could see Boyd's neck.

I do really like the textures. They are sporty and beachy.  This is useful. Oh, and I should say the pants do fit over the gens.

Shoes like that are popular and are called slides.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

thanks nemesis10 and barbult! I'd never seen them before! I thought they were meant to be thongs (flip flops) and they just looked weird to me LOL

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,568

Interesting. This stye isn't common amongst men, hereabouts, but I do like it. The shoes are oversized though on Boyd, and dforce did not shrink the top down, so they gaped a bit. I had to use the included shaping presets for other figures to make them smaller. 

I'm bummed about the Seahorse people. I would've liked the Seahorse male, and the tail, but 30 dollars is a bit steep for one figure sold in two parts.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956
    edited July 2021

Serene Night said:

Okay, I know it has been a while, but I've had some computer trouble. Mostly it appears that some aspects of DAZ Studio's OpenSSL driver are not compatible with the Alienware R11 in some way that I am not sure I fully understand since my IT skills aren't in the programmer analyst area.  Suffice is to say, it crashed upon starting, and DIM Crashed upon Starting until I read in the forums that some people downgraded some components of OpenSSL and it started working.

I don't understand the cause of this, but I am told one can request these files from DAZ And I have done so. We shall see. I can confirm that the open source ones I download from the net do work, but I'd prefer vetted software, when possible, since there are ramifications sometimes to downloading less than pedigree stuff, even open-source stuff. 

I can confirm the same crash happens with Topaz Labs, and also with Nik tools. So I will write their support to see if there is a fix. 

The theory I have heard is that there was a patch that makes these unusable with the studio.

Well, I can say, if there is such a patch, it was already loaded on my PC since I got it and the studio took a dive from day 1. 

Other theories, involve the new hardware not being compatible, or it is an issue with Antivirus software. I have had the crash with or without av software.

If anyone has this issue, this is the thread that could help you, as usually use at your own risk.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/398566/crashes-on-login-daz-studio-dim

Well I read the threads and a webpage on Intel states they have fixed it long ago and state the work around for problem applications to work until such time the problem applications are fixed themselves by using a new version of openSSL to do their needs.

I would follow the instructions here:

OpenSSL* SHA Crash Bug Requires Application Update (intel.com)

but also file a ticket with DAZ 3D so they know to fix the problem in DAZ Studio. That means you'll need to upgrade DAZ Studio eventually to the fixed version of DAZ Studio though.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

The most recent version of openssl is 1.1

The files won't work in studio, due to the fact, they renamed those files something else in that version. 

The links to get the older versions of openssl are not being provided. They really want you to use the new version, which, I'm not sure will work with studio due to the name/renaming issue.

Serene Night said:

I'm bummed about the Seahorse people. I would've liked the Seahorse male, and the tail, but 30 dollars is a bit steep for one figure sold in two parts.

I very much want it but you're right, the price is too high even with the 30% PC+ discount. I'm debating whether to buy it today or wait from the PA sale or some other sale. I needn't hurry as I am still working outside and in my basement for the rest of the summer anyway. 

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Serene Night said:

Okay, I know it has been a while, but I've had some computer trouble. Mostly it appears that some aspects of DAZ Studio's OpenSSL driver are not compatible with the Alienware R11 in some way that I am not sure I fully understand since my IT skills aren't in the programmer analyst area.  Suffice is to say, it crashed upon starting, and DIM Crashed upon Starting until I read in the forums that some people downgraded some components of OpenSSL and it started working.

I don't understand the cause of this, but I am told one can request these files from DAZ And I have done so. We shall see. I can confirm that the open source ones I download from the net do work, but I'd prefer vetted software, when possible, since there are ramifications sometimes to downloading less than pedigree stuff, even open-source stuff. 

I can confirm the same crash happens with Topaz Labs, and also with Nik tools. So I will write their support to see if there is a fix. 

The theory I have heard is that there was a patch that makes these unusable with the studio.

Well, I can say, if there is such a patch, it was already loaded on my PC since I got it and the studio took a dive from day 1. 

Other theories, involve the new hardware not being compatible, or it is an issue with Antivirus software. I have had the crash with or without av software.

If anyone has this issue, this is the thread that could help you, as usually use at your own risk.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/398566/crashes-on-login-daz-studio-dim

Just want to say I'm so sorry you are going through this.

edited July 2021

Thanks!

I admit it is a bit frustrating to finally get a new computer and to not be able to use it because of software incompatibility which no one seems to know much about, either because it is too new, or only a subset of users experience it. First, one must combat the disbelief that this issue is happening. "I'm not having this issue, must be something you're doing", does not really help. I did find others experiencing this issue, in the technical forum, but its only a few so far. Reverting the Dll works, but Openssl has security gaps, and even the version DAZ studio uses is not current, and out of date. Using old SSL can leave your computer open to vulnerabilities and is not a long-term strategy.

At any rate, I am not a technical novice, but nor am I a programmer analyst either and yes, studio worked great on my old computer and never had this particular issue. But this machine shipped with a newer version of windows, drivers, and hardware and something about the SSL software installed with studio it doesn't like. 

I sincerely hope new computer buyers don't have the problem that I have. Its very hard to find solutions to software incompatibilities others are not experiencing.

Fortunately, Richard did offer the only benefiical suggestion, but it isn't a long term strategy, I want to use. I'd prefer to resolve the software issue, if I can.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,798

@Serene Night, the only reason there have not been many with this issue is that it is so expensive to buy a new computer with the specs to use D|S at this moment. You were in a place to be able to and unfortunately ran into this. But, your experience and willingness to document it for others, will help them to avoid the problem hardware or be prepared to deal with it when they do upgrade. For myself, I would be at a dead loss, and accept it was 'ME' because it so often is. I had no idea of the issue and can only thank you.

Just got a Cloud Fare error so cutting this off now.

Good Luck.

Mary

edited July 2021

nonesuch00 said:

Serene Night said:

I very much want it but you're right, the price is too high even with the 30% PC+ discount. I'm debating whether to buy it today or wait from the PA sale or some other sale. I needn't hurry as I am still working outside and in my basement for the rest of the summer anyway. 

I did buy the product but after using it I find the tail is more vermicular than seahorse. I also think you really only need the rawart tail which has sufficient textures and the dorsal fin.

the way the tail ends makes it look more wormy than I would like. The seahorse has a tapered tail that is quite thin at the tip. This seahorse has a rather snakey thick tail that is very broad at the end.

memcneil70 said:

@Serene Night, the only reason there have not been many with this issue is that it is so expensive to buy a new computer with the specs to use D|S at this moment. You were in a place to be able to and unfortunately ran into this. But, your experience and willingness to document it for others, will help them to avoid the problem hardware or be prepared to deal with it when they do upgrade. For myself, I would be at a dead loss, and accept it was 'ME' because it so often is. I had no idea of the issue and can only thank you.

Just got a Cloud Fare error so cutting this off now.

Good Luck.

Mary

aww. Thanks for the kind words. smiley

I spent my Saturday rendering time researching and testing the problem with the new intel processors, and as usual gaming companies are ahead of the curve.

this fixed the problem for me for now. At least I can use the build that comes with studio. https://survios.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402698622483-11th-Gen-Intel-CPU-users-Launching-Crashing-Issue

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,278

Wow, maybe you should submit this information in a help request, to let customer support know how to help other customers with the same problem.

edited July 2021

barbult said:

Wow, maybe you should submit this information in a help request, to let customer support know how to help other customers with the same problem.

okay Request #382390. I guess giving up half my Saturday researching ssl, intel and crashing and testing it should be put to good use. The good news is if you search with the right words, this is a common enough issue for gamers and other product creators so hopefully developers like daz store will update their code. The issue is not the intel cpus, it really is that the ssl used by developers does not have the newest fixes in the code to work with modern CPU's, which should become more of an issue.

I still have to work with studio a while to see how it performs.

edited July 2021

Serene Night said:

nonesuch00 said:

Serene Night said:

I did buy the product but after using it I find the tail is more vermicular than seahorse. I also think you really only need the rawart tail which has sufficient textures and the dorsal fin.

the way the tail ends makes it look more wormy than I would like. The seahorse has a tapered tail that is quite thin at the tip. This seahorse has a rather snakey thick tail that is very broad at the end.

Thanks. That is important to know. I will definately wait for a later sale but also definately but on the seahorse tail package. I need the Octomermaid package as well since I decided pretty much I want to go for a beach theme.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited July 2021

Duplicate post.

edited July 2021

Boyd on the BotMoto bike. The implants and necklace were freebies made by PixelSploiting on DeviantArt.

He is wearing the Cyber Man outfit without the shirt.wink

When I rendered this, I wasn't able to see just how sparkly the bike was. 

Boyd-Ultimate6.jpg
    1300 x 731 - 877K
    edited July 2021

For those asking about the Toon Generations Male Essentials Baby Bug, 

Here we go again:

In screenshot 1. We have genesis 8 Male

In screenshot 2. We have what happens when he is zeroed. I use 4.15 and it's still an issue. What is enabled is showing in the bottom screenshot, under currently used. .

]

I have recorded a video of what happens when this product is installed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oEksazt18EVxTLap6lGZTCv0OKhE6tf1/view?usp=sharing

screenshot1.JPG
    1918 x 978 - 204K
    screenshot2.JPG
    1920 x 1003 - 194K
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,955

I sent 3DU a message via both Face Book and e-mail now all we can do is wait

Thanks smiley  Carrie58. It would be nice if this product could be fixed so I could leave it installed.

Chest JCM's for Ferris: https://www.daz3d.com/ferris-hd-for-genesis-81-male are now dialing in with Boyd.

And

Ozias's https://www.daz3d.com/ozias-hd-for-genesis-8-male Eye Closed Left and Right are dialed in as in use for Boyd now.

It seems like this stuff is not getting checked.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,830
    edited July 2021

Serene Night said:

Chest JCM's for Ferris: https://www.daz3d.com/ferris-hd-for-genesis-81-male are now dialing in with Boyd.

And

Ozias's https://www.daz3d.com/ozias-hd-for-genesis-8-male Eye Closed Left and Right are dialed in as in use for Boyd now.

It seems like this stuff is not getting checked.

I see the Ozias eye JCMs as wel. Ozias has been out for some time, though;  I think people just never noticed. The thing is, while the JCM is sort of active, it's not actually doing anything. It looks like the default value is 100%, but something blocks it from actually doing anything, even though that's its default.

Ichabod's feet do the same thing. Not seeing it with any other Faber characters I have, though. (And Ichabod is a Daz-O now anyway.)

Faber is, or was, fairly active in the forum; he shows a last-active date of July 7. It might be possible to shoot him a PM to see if he can address the issue, and then file a ticket afterward. (My suspicion is that Daz might say that because the JCMs aren't actually firing if Ozias and/or Ichabod aren't dialed in -- the body shapes control those morphs -- then there's nothing to fix.)

I bought the bundle with Ferris, but never installed him -- basically, I wanted everything in the bundle except Ferris. (Also, wasn't in the mood to make him a dingus.)

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited July 2021

I think when a new figure is out, part of testing should be to load up base male, and see if a JCM triggers. In Ozias's case I agree it doesn't do anything, but I guess I don't want it dialed in, since if I let DAZ store have its way  I'd probably have 20-30 unused morphs dialing in with Owen and Boyd, and I don't need alien eyes doing whatever they are doing.

Fortunately, they are easy to remove, they are included in the Ozias data folder, and I can remove them without affecting the character.

Ferris resembles another political figure/actor and thus, makes him difficult for me to use. I think I got him as a triggering item. His skin is okay. His Chest Corrective dialed in with Boyd at 30 percent, and I'm not okay with that, so I chucked his data file, retaining his skin.

edited July 2021

Okay, so here is the Metropolitan Street Fashion. It is not dForce (thank goodness). I actually rather like it. It comes with an expansion and the accessories you see here. The pants are rather Jeggings-like, but that is the fashion in some circles. The sweater and glasses are cute. I hope to see more texture expansions for this. I like it.

Oh, it is G8.1

It installs in the base G8 directory, so I corrected this, putting it in with the other G8.1 clothing.

Metropolitin Fashion1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 840K
    Metropolitin Fashion2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 873K
    edited July 2021

MR Paul looks like a man of action. If you want a lean and fit male figure, you can easily use this body. He's nearly as fit as Boyd and would make a great action figure for your pictures. His skin is beautiful, but his nails may be a bit lighter than I would prefer as they stand out to me in tone.  

I would probably reduce his head a bit as well to fit with my other figures as stylistically his head is more real world proportioned than my other figures

He looks very realistic though. I think this is a great figure. 

MRPAUL.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 907K
    MRPAUL-toes.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,955

Got a reply from 3DU "Thanks for letting us know. DAZ haven’t informed us of the issue, but we’ll have a look into it and report back to you as soon as possible."

So hopefully there will be a fix .

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,623

Serene Night said:

I think when a new figure is out, part of testing should be to load up base male, and see if a JCM triggers. In Ozias's case I agree it doesn't do anything, but I guess I don't want it dialed in, since if I let DAZ store have its way  I'd probably have 20-30 unused morphs dialing in with Owen and Boyd, and I don't need alien eyes doing whatever they are doing.

Fortunately, they are easy to remove, they are included in the Ozias data folder, and I can remove them without affecting the character.

Ferris resembles another political figure/actor and thus, makes him difficult for me to use. I think I got him as a triggering item. His skin is okay. His Chest Corrective dialed in with Boyd at 30 percent, and I'm not okay with that, so I chucked his data file, retaining his skin.

All this makes me miss the old V4 days when everything was injected in instead of having everyone of them load with the base.  Yes it is more convenient but at the disadvantage of loss of load time and random JMCs ect. loading with all characters.

I have hundreds of male figures and thousands of morphs. I would like to keep my figures installed but they are too draining to leave installed. I agree something better needs to be developed so they don't load at once.