SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,852

Well, this is ... something. I got a banner for owning "an impressive collection of Genesis 8.1 bundles." Despite owning literally not one more bundle than I did when Wolfgang first came out.

That said, I'm debating the Scallywag bundle. I like Wolfgang well enough, although I still hadn't/haven't decided if I like him enough. And there's Kooki99's character Kyrone, which has no Wolfgang dependencies and which I really like -- despite the fact that Kooki99 clearly Does Not Believe In Anatomical Elements Thank You. (I'm actually a bit surprised at a character being included in a name-and-number bundle without them. That aside, he looks like the very rare character who is neither an overpaint nor based on the Vyusur dark skin resource.) And there's the hair, which looks very nice, and which I would not otherwise touch, even if it is a Daz-O hair, because I will not touch anything by Neftis again unless it's in a bundle.

Problem being, I don't actually want anything else in the bundle but those three items -- although I think parts of the outfit might kitbash for other purposes well enough (apart from the whole dForce thing) and hey, a lagoon to use the Diversea poses with. (The Pirate Props are sort of startling; everything with which to furnish a captain's room, including furniture and chandelier (!) ... except for the actual room structure. Which is weird. That said, they're also kitbashable, I think.)

Decisions, decisions.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited July 2021

Lol. I got the banner as well. I am not super fond of Wolfgang due to his resemblance to Ollie who I strongly disliked. But I think the skin might be nice. The second bundle though is clearly the bundle they should have lead with, because frankly the content looks superior.

I like Kyrone a lot too. He is sitting in my cart. His body hair is problematic in some places but I do like the skin.I do agree he should have a dingus, but perhaps that area was not part of the skin texture?

Gibbs hair I can't use. It looks thin and whispy. I do admit to liking the long a-line neftis hair even if the hairline is slightly receding. It looks good and there is no hair like it to date which is a plus. 

The lagoon looks useful but gives a Peter Pan vibe. I also like the high tides outfit. The scarf with beads is cool even if it is a riff of Jack Sparrow, but it might suit a 60s theme from where Owen is trapped in retro world, and I like it better than the previous pirate set.

The issue for me is I don't do pirates. I don't even like pirates, so my piratical needs are few.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited July 2021

So apparently something happened to my custom categories. Is there a way to get them back?  I was busy categorizing my stuff, when I booted  studio up and discover the categories are MIA. They were there yesterday....oh man, I hope they aren't gone for good. I hope i didn't do something to them!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550

Serene Night said:

So apparently something happened to my custom categories. Is there a way to get them back?  I was busy categorizing my stuff, when I booted  studio up and discover the categories are MIA. They were there yesterday....oh man, I hope they aren't gone for good. I hope i didn't do something to them!

Did you export user data recently? If so, maybe you can reimport metadata, select user data, and get them back.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,846

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• barbult said:

Serene Night said:

Did you export user data recently? If so, maybe you can reimport metadata, select user data, and get them back.

If not, do you take backups that include the AppData folder (assuming you haven't moved the content cluster folder)?

Richard Haseltine said:

If not, do you take backups that include the AppData folder (assuming you haven't moved the content cluster folder)?

What exactly do you need to back up to secure custom cathegories?

I use custom cathegories extensively and that would probably be a good thing for me to do.

• Hylas said:

Richard Haseltine said:

What exactly do you need to back up to secure custom cathegories?

I use custom cathegories extensively and that would probably be a good thing for me to do.

Ideally export the userdata (Content Library option menu>Content DB Maintenance) which you can then reimport through the same dialogue if needed, but the whole Content Cluster folder (set in Edit>Preferecnes>CMS Settings) can be backed up - I was able to transfer my database across from the old machine that way, and unlike Export User data it also preserves groups (such as the New group, though any non-default groups will also need to have the definitions transferred since they are not kept in the database). As I said, the database must be inactive when making/restoring backups (it involves multiple files so if it wasn't you might end up with mismatched data if soem fiels were updated while the backup was being done).

crying​ I am ashamed to admit, I did not back them up. I just bought a new pc and was starting from scratch. Reorganizing my 10,000 purchases. Oh well, without failure there is no success! I shall now backup even during the initial setup phase.  

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,962

@SereneNight umm do you manually install? Customize inside DS? do you use smart content?

I create majorly involved categories for example, I organize all my poses by type, my food props go into multiple categories such as Food-Beverage, Food-candy

My clothing by type.

I install daz studio content via dim but everything else manually of course. 

But you are catagorizing in DS?

• Do you do right-click>Categorise, or do you use the Edit Metadata command? The latter would update the files, so would show on a reimport of the metadata (of course it would also be overwritten by a reinstall/update of the product if it was from Daz or came with DS metadata of its own).

Serene Night said:

I create majorly involved categories for example, I organize all my poses by type, my food props go into multiple categories such as Food-Beverage, Food-candy

My clothing by type.

I install daz studio content via dim but everything else manually of course. 

I work the same way, I feel your pain!

I hope something can be salvaged.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550

Richard Haseltine said:

Do you do right-click>Categorise, or do you use the Edit Metadata command? The latter would update the files, so would show on a reimport of the metadata (of course it would also be overwritten by a reinstall/update of the product if it was from Daz or came with DS metadata of its own).

Does Edit Metadata update the files if you don't have auto export checked?

• barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Do you do right-click>Categorise, or do you use the Edit Metadata command? The latter would update the files, so would show on a reimport of the metadata (of course it would also be overwritten by a reinstall/update of the product if it was from Daz or came with DS metadata of its own).

Does Edit Metadata update the files if you don't have auto export checked?

No, though it will ask if you want to save the changes or discard them on exit.

@SereneNight I sent you a PM

edited July 2021

I categorize within DS usually, but I have done both.

I want to look into the folders, and see what's inside. I most often make products of the entire thing, such as a bedroom set, and put it in my Environments>Bedrooms folder.

If  there is an out-of-place prop, or something in there I might use, such as a food item, I categorize that Item individually. 

I like the categorization feature, but I find it limiting because you can't do the whole set, and then the system spazzes out and resets itself so you have to scroll again to get back into the folder you were in. It is fine if you have a hundred items. Not so much when you have 10000 like me.

I have not edited meta data. That is cool, but I'd be worried, an update would mess up my work. I don't want to do it all again if I don't have to.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,990

Don't feel bad. I've wanted to create custom categories for years but haven't because I've been waiting also for years to get DAZ Library on it's own 2TB SSD,

nonesuch00 said:

Don't feel bad. I've wanted to create custom categories for years but haven't because I've been waiting also for years to get DAZ Library on it's own 2TB SSD

My library is now on its own drive. It isn't a SSD though. Had to go with sata.  

One thing I notice after reinstalling and reorganizing my stuff is that I tend to buy certain things.

I have tons of motorcycles, food props, sci-fi prisons (for some weird reason), gas stations etc.

But also there are little things you find you never knew you had hidden away in sets. For example, I can't recall how many times I looked for ID cards, and money. It turns out, I have several realistic props sets, that are included with other sets.

I really wish the categorization and search would've helped discover those items sooner.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,990

Serene Night said:

One thing I notice after reinstalling and reorganizing my stuff is that I tend to buy certain things.

I have tons of motorcycles, food props, sci-fi prisons (for some weird reason), gas stations etc.

But also there are little things you find you never knew you had hidden away in sets. For example, I can't recall how many times I looked for ID cards, and money. It turns out, I have several realistic props sets, that are included with other sets.

I really wish the categorization and search would've helped discover those items sooner.

Me too. I just asked if anyone knew of a dipstick in any of those DAZ cars in the Commons but no one knew of one. So instead of spending hours or even days looking for one in the products I bought I will just use a sword and scale it. I know since I'm going to enter that scene in the Sword & Sorcery contest I should use a dipstick for better quality, but oh well, a sword will have to do.

edited July 2021

This is: Stylized '21 Clothing for Genesis 8 

This is a cute summer short outfit, for G8M and G8.1M by 3DU

It is designed for toons, but I think it looks better than a fair amount of the realistic content in the store. It definitely could use a texture expansion.

The bracelet was put in the Accessories folder, in case you are looking for it. 

03.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 869K
    edited July 2021

That's where shaders come in handy ,,,umm maybe it's the pose but to me it looks like Boyd has breasts not pecs .....

Post edited by carrie58 on
    edited July 2021

Boyd does a split/handstand maneuver here, as I test the desaturated lights.

Pale9.jpg
    2800 x 1600 - 1M

carrie58 said:

That's where shaders come in handy ,,,umm maybe it's the pose but to me it looks like Boyd has breasts not pecs ...

Boyd's pecs are prominent when he slouches. I thought this as well, and when I took off his shirt, yes, the moob is real wink

HAHAHAHAA  Allllrighty then hehehhe

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,120

Your guys are so good looking.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,329
    edited July 2021

You convinced me to get the Stylized'21 clothing!

Joel_at_Sea.jpg
    1619 x 1221 - 774K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on

Hey that looks good! Nice use of the freebie!