Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,276

Beautiful shot! Sorry to hear about the woes :(

Lately my Win 10 laptop runs out of memory much faster than it used to, even using Carrara is more tricky - and that's with nothing else running. Not a fan. I wish they made it easier to disable junk that I don't need or want. It has all manner of junk happening all the time.

I've titled this one: "Guess you had to have Been There" because I'd have to give too much away to explain the expressions

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,921

@dartanbeck Great lighting yes

I made an emu cool
    to go with my wombat and pigeons 

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Awesome Stez! cool Even Scrat nicking an apple (he'll find it a bit squidgy for an acorn!)

Happy Thanksgiving to all those who partake smiley (and everyone else, get back to work!)

edited November 2016

Too much coffee perhaps?

TooMuchCoffee.jpg
    800 x 600 - 226K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • great stuff Stezza and Tango

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

kelly lodge thanksgiving, set comes with rara shaders laugh

Okay, that "forced" me to sign up for a Deviant Art account (been meaning to for a while). Not sure what to do with it yet (Tango-Alpha, cos just one word was already taken)

Oh, and nice render - lots of detail smiley

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,143

Looks really nice - I had a look at the product page and despite coming with bespoke Carrara shaders, the compatible software is listed as Daz Studio and Poser. Spot the omission...

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Nice render Misty... about the only calorie free TG dinner going! yes Silene

Oh, I'm so stuffed! And I just take little tid bits!

Dad'd Turkey and Bone-in Ham... Yum! Along with his slaw made from home-grown Brussel Sprouts! Mmmm...

Corn Pudding, Wild Rice... just a little of this and a little of that - Bam... Stuffed!

My sisters made incredible pies too!

Awesome renders!

Stezza said:

I made an emu cool

...and Bullwinkle. Don't froget Bullwinkle! wink

Happy TG to all those who celebrate it!

Thanks Phil! Thanks for Giving you too!

• Too much coffee perhaps?

I know all the words in this sentence, but the order you have put them in is pure gibberish. wink 

• Dart vs Dart

A comparison between the new V4 version of Dart and the real Dart

The CGI version is supposed to be stylized, heroic and younger! ;)

I'd have never known the difference.

LOL! Yeah... It was a fun experiment, but I'm back to using my M4 version :)

Not to cahnge the subject or anything... but

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,921
    Stezza said:

I made an emu cool

...and Bullwinkle. Don't froget Bullwinkle! wink

That's right lol
    His head is in there yes

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Dart ,.  Is that the burning man festival i keep hearing about ?

more quick nonsense,. this started out as water lillies,. then i started playing with the sun,. not sure what happened after that.

lilysun2-Exp.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 296K
  • 3DAGE said:

more quick nonsense,. this started out as water lillies,. then i started playing with the sun,. not sure what happened after that.

I love happy accidents like that, when you are just messing around and unintentionally create something you didn't mean to that is just plain cool.  I really like this. laugh

Very Nice!!!

Just cruising along when all of a sudden, this... thing flew up SO fast... it... it took out my engine... I think we're going down

• 3DAGE said:

Whatever it is, me likey!

• It's been a long while since I posted anything here.

This is a scene inspired by a real place I lived at when I was a kid. It was also my Mom's favorite place in the world. It is near Dodgeville, Wisconsin, which is in what is known as The Hidden Valleys. It is an island of un-glaciated land surrounded by glaciated land.

I have no photos to work from, so this is from memories 36 or 37 years old. Talking to some of my brothers, I have the rock and immediate surroundings pretty accurate. The view across the valley is not quite right, which I knew, but lack the time to finesse, as I want to make a poster sizes print or two of this as Christmas gifts.

This is obviously a screen capture of the render in progress. I'm rendering a bunch of different render passes, so when I have the scene fully rendered, I will post the raw render and the post-worked render.

Except for some of the tree trunks, there are no image maps used. All of the textures on the rocks and landscapes are 100% procedural.

Picture 1.png
    996 x 668 - 669K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited November 2016

Some details of the rocks and other aspects of the scene.

Picture 2.png
    1015 x 928 - 1M
    Picture 3.png
    1016 x 930 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • I'm really liking how this hair as grass is working. I essentially created a 1x1 ft. vertex square, made sure Carrara automatically uses a planar UV on it (ya' never know sometimes ;-) ) and then created a procedural shader using a color gradient and fractal noise to give it a grass-green surface with varying shades of green. I applied the hair and styled it, played with the hair shaders, but essentially just used the hair thickness and length shaders. I copied and pasted the color gradient shader from the square tile into the root and tip color channel in the hair shader. Experimented with the amount of hair, and hair thickness to get good coverage on the tile. I went with large for the thickness and maybe 5000 or less hairs.

I then stuck my hairy tile into a surface replicator which uses a distribution map to define where the tiles are placed and where they are not. I made sure the tiles were replicated a lot in replicator. I wanted them to be able to bump up against each other and overlap sometimes.

I offset the hotpoint on the tile to slightly above the tile so that it would be slightly under the surface it was being replicated on. Since the surface was a curved and rounded surface, I felt a one foot square tile would follow the contour of the land nicely. A bigger tile would have meant more possibility of visible edges sticking up, which could make the tiled nature of the hair more apparent.

The time savings for this method isn't the render time, but rather the speed and ease of setting up the hair and testing the look of the hair because of the relatively few hairs. There was also more time savings when precalculating the hairs for the renderer, because there were only 5000 or less hairs to calculate instead of hundreds of thousands or millions. Again, as with all hair, it will take time to actually render all those strands

Picture 4.png
    1014 x 928 - 1M

3dage - beautiful image!

Dart - great work, especially on the engine fire!

Evil - This is looking really nice!

PhilW said:

I was inspired by James Bond - Quantum of Solace

This "Dakota" Douglas DC3 is a really wonderful model. Those flames and smoke are, once again, derived from the emitter included in your Advanced Carrara Techniques. I just love that texture map you've used in that!

The little curve box for "size over time" is a fun tool. Crank the size of the particles way up with a lot of variance, then have them start out nice and small - or whatever is needed. Particle emission = fun!

PhilW said:

I was inspired by James Bond - Quantum of Solace

This "Dakota" Douglas DC3 is a really wonderful model. Those flames and smoke are, once again, derived from the emitter included in your Advanced Carrara Techniques. I just love that texture map you've used in that!

The little curve box for "size over time" is a fun tool. Crank the size of the particles way up with a lot of variance, then have them start out nice and small - or whatever is needed. Particle emission = fun!

Ah, the "dogfight" between the Duglas DC3 and Marchetti 260 (both lovely planes). Cracker!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2016

This is a work-in-progress.  I am trying to model one of the goblins from the Pathfinder RPG (if you're not familar just Google "Pathfinder Goblin" and you'll see what I'm going for). So far it's going pretty well, but I somehow managed to get some overlapping geometry in the fingers which made my baked normal map and UV map go a little crazy and the knees are a little bit too high.  Also he's naked, but I haven't gotten to the clothes yet and I didn't make him anatomically accurate so hopefully that's not a problem. wink

Modeled in Blender, textured in Substance Painter, Carrara render.  He's all one material zone right now, but I need to break it up to get better control of the specularity and reflections in Carrara. Once I get the geometry fixed I plan to add some armor and weapons and then rig in Carrara.  He's coming in at right around 70K polys, which is higher than I intended and probably higher than I really need, but I don't have the time to retopo the whole thing.

On an unrelated note, suddenly my shadow catcher material is not working at all - there are actual lights in the scene so it should be capturing the shadows just fine. Grr, argh. angry

PFGoblinModel001.JPG
    1635 x 967 - 135K
    PFGoblinCarraraTest001.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 175K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
This discussion has been closed.