Why does DAZ Studio customers like Conforming Cloths better then Dynamic Cloths ?

Comments

• jeremusicjeremusic Posts: 5
    edited January 2015

I've had a little success at draping v4 dynamic cloth onto a G2F V6. One key is to "fit to" v6 on and off again. It shows v6 as the target in the clothing control tab. then make sure to go from zero pose to your required pose via animated drape so the cloth has time to adjust to the movement. I'm working on getting the cloth closer to avoid the obvious 1cm shadow....

b1part.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 445K
    Post edited by jeremusic on
  • his xhis x Posts: 866
    edited March 2015

icprncss said:
    As stated by others it isn't a fact that DS customers prefer one to the other, they currently have no choice in the matter. DAZ handed over all aspects of dynamic cloth to Optitex after the merger with Gizmoz. Outside of the free player that was added during the DS2 release cycle and the cloth control plugin, little progress has been made. New dynamic clothing is released periodically both in the store and for free on the web site.

The Optitex system is a commercial proprietary system. Acquiring a license is far from cheap. Don't forget, until DAZ made the decision to give the Pro version of DS4 away for free, anyone wishing to rig in DS had to purchase the figure set up tools for DS3. When DS4 was first released, only the standard version was free. If you wanted the Content Creation Tools, you either had to buy them separately or upgrade to the Pro version.

Ah, so.

I've been wondering about this for a long time. I've even read some of these posts before. But I didn't understand very well until today, when I did a few searches on "optitex." I thought Autodesk was high-handed until I took a look around the Optitex site. They wanted me to fill out a form, then request a meeting with them, before they would even give out adequate product information. Autodesk is the soul of accommodation by comparison.

And DAZ3D hitched their wagon to THESE guys? I guess this explains the uses to which DAZ is and is not put. Wow. I never would have guessed DAZ would do anything so self-limiting as this.

Shoganai.

Post edited by his x on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited December 1969

I like the results, I don't like the whole having to create an animation so I can get the stupid clothes to fit right.

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

The technology of Dynamic Clothing is superior in Daz, but it's just not very useful since it's limited in scope.

I think the main problem here is that the previous owners of Daz did this deal. I've heard that other Daz 3rd party programmers have been working on a replacement, but it's been years. It's clearly not an easy thing to accomplish and Poser certainly isn't giving out any licenses to it's version.

I've pretty much tried to limit my dynamic clothing to items that need it. I don't need jeans to be dynamic. Most shirts are fine as conforming as well. A leather jacket doesn't really need it. However, flimsy shirts, long coats and even cloaks seem to be where I focus on the most. It's extremely time consuming though. I like the results and I'm doing it as a hobby, so I don't have any deadlines to deal with, so it's not a huge issue.

There are other time consuming issues besides dynamic clothing though. Heck, the new Iray renderer is a bigger time hog than working with dynamic clothing. I'm testing a render of my Adventurers and it's been three days and not a single pixel has rendered yet.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

I like the results, I don't like the whole having to create an animation so I can get the stupid clothes to fit right.

I kind of agree with you there. Tho given momentum, and other forces, at least a frame or to to get the motion in your render is cool. walking the figures out to the entire leap, starting from a 'T' pose is a drag.

Again, groveling to Khory for that circle skirt, that just works. with a few frames to get the motion going on G2F, and it's ready to render.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited December 1969

So far I've mainly been limiting myself to things like sheets, since it's very hard to do those any other way.

• erik leemanerik leeman Posts: 262
    edited December 1969

One 'quick and dirty' trick to get V4/M4 dynamic clothes on Genesis 2 figures in DAZ Studio without an animation run is to use a series 4 figure similar in size and shape, and pose it exactly like the G2 with as much overlap as possible.
    Then give the series 4 the dynamic clothing of your choice, but make the clothing collide with Genesis 2 in stead of its series 4 'double'.
    After draping is finished freeze the cloth, then remove the series 4 figure from the scene.
    With many poses this works absolutely fine, but the more complex ones, like sitting poses with crossed legs and bent arms, will still require animation to get right.

Cheers!

Erik

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,186
    edited March 2015

MacSavers said:
    I think the main problem here is that the previous owners of Daz did this deal. ...

Ah ha, so there has been a major change in authority at DAZ. 8-\

I missed the headlines but have thought for a while that somebody else has been driving. I'm not completely sure I miss the "mom & pop" feel of the store, nor that I completely like the "corporate mentality" that seems to have replaced it. However, I have noticed that releases of DAZ Studio don't seem to be such a hodge podge of goofs anymore.

The Wikipedia entry for DAZ3D doesn't give much information about the company. :-(

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589
    edited December 1969

..an "open" cloth dynamics system is one of the most requested features on the What would you like to see in Daz Studio 5? thread.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..an "open" cloth dynamics system is one of the most requested features on the What would you like to see in Daz Studio 5? thread. Back to that again, 'a'.

I have not looked into that in a few months now, and I no longer have interest in wasting my time. I was rather put off by 'them' and found some of the claims rather wild on there website.

latego said:
    Talking as a Poser user transitioning to Studio, the only thing I (sorely) miss are dynamics for draping cloth meshes. I mess this functionality so much that I have already planned to see whether I can send G2s into Blender to use Blender cloth engine to do the job.
    There is sort of an included engine that I've been ripping out my hair trying to figure out, because the free one is limited, and the non free one have pending questions. It is based off of the "OptiTex" engine if I barley get the gist of that. So making stuff for the Dynamic Engine (or just making figure fit modifications), is for a select few If I read the other sites correctly. I don't even know IF there patron-making software interfaces with Daz Studio, so the top link is probably useless for everyone.
    http://www.optitex.com/en
    Optitex's site claims 27 thousand users in the world. I say only one of them is in the Milky Way galaxy, and it's debatable if that individual has used Daz Studio in the past two years. (lol)

Ready-made cloths only
    http://www.daz3d.com/optitex
    http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/
    A how to use the stuff for dummies would be really nice, considering most of the Dynamic cloths is for figures two generations behind what I'm currently working with.

Thanks MacSavers http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/737036/

There website actually looks like it mentions "3D" now :ohh:
    The Optitex 3D Suite is a collection of applications that can create photorealistic 3D garments, fit them on an incredibly customizable avatar, and even animate them for dynamic, eye-catching presentations. (SNIP)FYI, The "avatar" mentioned, is a preview window in there software, not daz studio.

Now, IF your into making cloths for real people, there are some outstanding intro vids on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/OptiTex
    I stopped watching them (months ago) when they got to compatible exportable file formats, and not one of them was a CG format. That combined with other limitations outlined in discussions here about supporting morphs and G2F/G2M shapes, has ended any interest I had.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

...the thread I cited is here on the Daz forums.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited March 2015

I started out only using poser for dynamic... hahaha... I'd drape something in poser, export the draped obj and import in daz. HAH.
    Then I went on to using poser hair room... not at all nice or easy to use (unlike LAMH)

Poser for poser stuff? like making art? naaaaaaaaaaah, not really ;)

Oh and i use daz dynamics on all figures, from toon generation to generation 3 to near me to Cookie, Chip, and Star. it's definitely do-able.

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

There doesn´t seem to be market for dynamic clothing since I guess almost nobody has that software required to produce dynamic clothing for daz studio.

I personally love using V4´s dynamic clothing on G2F.

http://toyen-art.deviantart.com/art/Dynamic-Trio-517304514

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    There doesn´t seem to be market for dynamic clothing since I guess almost nobody has that software required to produce dynamic clothing for daz studio.

It's really a 'chicken/egg' thing...

There's no easy way to produce dynamic clothing so there's no market for it so there's no real interest in making it easier to produce...because there's no market for it.

Even with the available items and the included plugin (not going to shell out cash for the 'full' that I'd use so infrequently) I end up doing more simulation in Blender than DS...I find it much easier.

edited December 1969

I started out only using poser for dynamic... hahaha... I'd drape something in poser, export the draped obj and import in daz. HAH.
    Then I went on to using poser hair room... not at all nice or easy to use (unlike LAMH)

..that;s basically what I did for Gen3/4. For Genesis &G2; one has to deal with DSON whihc can be a real pain. So patiently waiting (and still hoping) Daz will develop a cloth dynamic system that is "open ended" like Poser's/

As to Dynamic Hair, that's why I have Carrara.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Toyen said:

It's really a 'chicken/egg' thing...

There's no easy way to produce dynamic clothing so there's no market for it so there's no real interest in making it easier to produce...because there's no market for it.

Even with the available items and the included plugin (not going to shell out cash for the 'full' that I'd use so infrequently) I end up doing more simulation in Blender than DS...I find it much easier.
    ...same here, can't justify paying 50$ for a plugin that only works with specific clothing content.

Don't grok Blender so stuck with DSON, which while it can be a pain, at least I can get something done.

I must say though Aave Nainen's work is incredible with all the special movement morphs that almost make the clothing seem "dynamic" in nature. Definitely worth the price.

edited March 2015

Not meant to be pretty, and certainly not perfect, but a functional example of a posed Vic 6 HD figure with V4 and M4 Optitex dynamic clothes on, draped without animation, using the method I described a few posts back.
    The pose is one of the Manly poses for Michael 6.

Cheers!

Erik

Vic6_w_Vic4_Optitex.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 164K
    Post edited by erik leeman on
    edited March 2015

And here you can see Victoria 6 HD with the overlapping V4 figure (coloured green) that I used as a rigging tool to make those Optitex dynamic clothes conform to V6's pose without running an animation cycle.
    Again, V4 was not used as a collision target, but only as a posing rig for the clothes.
    Before starting the actual draping, Victoria 6 was selected as collision target instead.

And believe me, that 50 dollar control plugin is well worth the money for what you can do with it!

Cheers!

Erik

Vic6_w_Vic4.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 140K
    edited March 2015

Here's Victoria 6 HD wearing her V4 Angelic robe, and her boyfriend's sweater on top of it.

Again the result of a static drape, no animation sequence was necessary because I used an invisible V4 as a draping rig.

Cheers!

Erik

Vic6_w_Vic4_02.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 241K
    edited December 1969

And again here are Vic 6 and Vic 4 as they are posed over each other as described before.
    As you can see the overlap doesn't have to be perfect at all, just good enough to get the clothing in the proper position so it can drape around Vic 6 and collide with her surface.
    You could even use a Supersuit or something similar on Vic 6 to get some local offset (in or out) for the dynamic cloth, just make it collide with the Supersuit in stead of Vic 6 herself.

But all of this doesn't work if parts of the body intersect with each other and the cloth gets caught between them.
    Then you'll still have to use an animation to get a good drape, if you want any chance of it to work at all.

Cheers!

Erik

Vic6_w_Vic4_03.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 164K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

Carrara has some cloth through softbody physics, but users have found that calculation times are abysmal unless the cloth only interacts wih other cloth - which is achieved by creating softbody attach panels as “underwear” for the clothed figure. Just uncheck visibility for the undersuit. It is very much still in the early stage as people determine best practices for creating the softbody attach undersuit and best settings for different types of fabric (leather reacts differently than cotton). But it does work, and I occasionally use it in my workflow in places that I used to rely on export of objs created in Poser’s cloth room. Definitely not perfect.

For animations
    - and an example of how draped Carrara cloth over an animated figure with invisible undersuit is here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P360/#765003
    - an example of how the underwear/undersuit works is here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfKfiP5YTto&feature=youtu.be

Here is an example of draped cloth in Carrara, but you can make the fabric more stiff like leather or less stiff by adjusting settings.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P285/#763180

For stills, you can see two examples of rather stiff looking cloth for A3 here (just a test render of a skin shader but the skirt is draped over a bent leg).
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53931/#785984 (edit: this example is actually a morphed Genesis 2 female)
    and here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P195/#757931
    with the undersuit construction for the second example demonstrated here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P195/#758041
    You can see the same concept applied for a long skirt for a custom genesis figure here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P210/#758514

A quick guide to links explaining some of the concepts for applying this cloth to posed figures and animated figures in Carrara is here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P210/#758192

edited March 2015

Too nice a drape on its own to let it go to waste completely : )
    DAZ-Optitex Dynamic Angelic robe for V4 on Victoria 6 HD, draped without animation cycle in DAZ Studio 4.7.

Cheers!

Erik

Vic6_w_Vic4_04.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 225K
    edited December 1969

Optitex Overall for V4 on Victoria 6 HD, single frame (static) simulation in DAZ Studio 4.7.
    Long sleeves are often problematic, and usually take some fiddling to get the underarms neatly inside.

Erik

Vic6_w_Vic4_05.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 192K
    edited March 2015

Another Optitex Overall for V4 on Victoria 6 HD.
    Single frame (static) simulation in DAZ Studio 4.7.

The hips and knees of this pose really are beyond what should be attempted with this draping method.
    Still, some tender loving Photoshop care will easily hide the bad spots in this one.

In my experience an animated drape to a pose like this will most likely yield an imperfect result as well, maybe even worse.
    Draping dynamic clothing is sort of a gamble, every time the outcome is different, and success never guaranteed.
    But when it works it's well worth the effort!

Cheers!

Erik

Vic6_w_Vic4_06.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 240K
    edited March 2015

An example of something some may not know already:
    These OptiTex dynamic overalls were made for M4, and are normally way too large to fit Victoria 6.
    Since the size of dynamic clothes cannot be changed in DAZ Studio, the only way to make them fit V6 is to temporarily make Victoria as tall as M4.
    So I scaled Victoria 6 and her invisible V4 draping double up to 105%, posed them, and draped the garment like I did the others.
    After draping I froze the garment, parented it to Victoria 6, and scaled Victoria 6 back to her original dimensions.
    Being parented to Victoria, the clothing (now a 'simple' mesh) followed her shrinking down.

Subsequently converting the garment's frozen mesh to SubD (level 2) and adding a smoothing modifier to it (at value 2) made it look a lot better than it did at first.

Cheers!

Erik

Vic6_w_Vic4_07.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 273K
  • brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,153
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Something that was promised a couple of years back and never came about. Alex and Ken are working on a dynamics engine for this purpose as well as making LAMH more dynamic.... Can't wait!
    Yeah, the OptiTex integration has been pretty much a dude. I bought the advanced control panel back then too thinking "soon" one could make dynamic cloth in studio. That DAZ "soon" never came about.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Yup, it was a dud for me too. I still have all those clothing items I bought when there was allot of excitement and the promise of a way to make our own. After the wall of silence about that last bit started I stopped buying dynamic clothing. Soon after that DAZ or someone in the know stated that the ability to make our own was nixed for what ever reason.

Not sure if Alex and Ken are still working on a dynamics engine... they have been extremely quiet lately so one can only hope.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

RorrKonn said:
    Why does DAZ Studio customers like Conforming Cloths better then Dynamic Cloths ?
    Simple speed and no setting up. Conforming Cloths you move it, it works straight away!
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Most of the time! lol

RorrKonn said:
    Simple speed and no setting up. Conforming Cloths you move it, it works straight away!
    edited March 2015

Unfortunately the downside of all conforming cloth's undeniable ease of use is unacceptable to me (most of the time).
    So even if I'd much rather spend all that time doing other things, I'll use dynamics everywhere I can.

Erik