Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@hansmar- if you look where the sun is positioned in the scene you will see the water is lighter because of specularity from the sun :) ..well at least thats what it looks like to me, i could be wrong!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Been off the 'net for awhile - thanks to a farmer's tractor...grrrr (:

Blimey, so many wonderful works, and in the Tree's challenge, too...phew...gotta get my skates on.

In the meantime...'Launch'.

Jay

Launch.jpg
    1536 x 866 - 632K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2014

Jamahoney said:
    Been off the 'net for awhile - thanks to a farmer's tractor...grrrr (:

Blimey, so many wonderful works, and in the Tree's challenge, too...phew...gotta get my skates on.

In the meantime...'Launch'.

Jay

We had one of those downtimes the other week although it wasn't a farmer's tractor at fault with us, but a silly workman who got too close to the telephone lines when digging up the road. Cut off telephones and internet for the whole village and half of the town. He was not popular.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@dana: You've done a bang up job uv mapping that torus with the tire image. With the price of tires now days, you should make a fortune.

@hansmar: Opinions are always going to vary with any image/scene. But as Horo has said it's the artist's opinion that really matters.

@Jay: So you got hit with the suddenus no workum? Been involved with fixing a few of those in my time. Love your Launch image. You did a great job with the rocket trail and file at its tail. Great looking model. Yours or borrowed?

• newrigelnewrigel Posts: 3
    edited July 2014

Here's a video shot of a surreal world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDcxmkEof40

vidshot.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 665K
    Post edited by newrigel on
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @cjreynolds - your settings for Diffuse and Specular may be a bit high. Exit the light lab and enter the Mat lab for this light and you can tweak the visible light quite nicely. The Image and Procedural buttons only work for Flare, which seems to be a bug to me.

An alternative to Dan's fog (nothing wrong with it, quite to the contrary, I'm just mentioning an alternative) would be the Streaming Rays from Denny Markovic aka Frozencry which is freely available from here http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=1144. It renders fast because it is not a volume material - and hence not suited for everything.

Thanks, Horo! I'll try both of those :)

edited December 1969

"Cut off telephones and internet for the whole village and half of the town"

Yeah, chohole, feel your pain - we really are slaves to the 'net, or, will be (sometime - a clip from that wonderful animation movie, WALL-E ;) )

Cheers, Guss...I really think one can't do wrong with a good model (modeller = petipet), which was given away for free some weeks back (now priced, unfortunately). It's a super group of models for any 'spacey' nerd like me out there - I grabbed it immediately.

Jay

wall-e.jpg
    473 x 352 - 184K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,036
    edited December 1969

Dave – very lovely render

Electro-elvis – nice looking genesis 2 lady.

Horo- another awesome render

Dana – nice looking tires, is there a sale I missed.

Jay – love the launch, great render.

Newrigel-nice surreal, I don’t see a link to the video.

Still enjoying the Lens and Filters Pack by Horo and David, more examples of renders I originally trashed.

gwl-well01.jpg
    750 x 750 - 124K
    gwl180.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 83K
    flo.jpg
    750 x 750 - 50K
    edited December 1969

Jay - very nice render, feeling sad I missed that freebie. :(

edited July 2014

Yeah, was lucky, Mermaid. Looks like you're having fun with the Filters...unusual effects all.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,161
    edited July 2014

@Dana - those tires look great. I think the colour/brightness is spot on.

@hansmar - thank you. The lake is mostly in the shadow from the mountains at left and only the lighter water patch is lit by the sun and the high specular comes from the sun shining on it (though I needed a hyper-texture to make it bright enough).

@Jay - great render, one needs to look at it in full size to really appreciate it. Though the two humans and the launched rocket are very small, they make the difference.
    Nice render with the fat guys, reminds me of the HHG TV series when Ford and Arthur were picked up by the Heart of Gold, just before Marvin enters.

@newrigel - interesting concept.

@mermaid010 - great fisheye renders. I particularly like the second one: I get the impression of looking out of a tunnel.

Post edited by Horo on
  • dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Hansmar:
    I think the image was of a used tire.

Jamahoney:
    wow really like what you did with the freebie!, launch, and sky are very cool.

GussNemo:
    thank you,I am thinking it was a used tire, so the price is right, just wont sell them to anyone I know, hahaha

mermaid010:
    hehehe, no sale, just a pile of tires ready to be recycled into something else, maybe a playground render
    I really like "gwl180" I looked into that image for some time, very nice!

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Dana - those tires look great. I think the colour/brightness is spot on.

@hansmar - thank you. The lake is mostly in the shadow from the mountains at left and only the lighter water patch is lit by the sun and the high specular comes from the sun shining on it (though I needed a hyper-texture to make it bright enough).

@Jay - great render, one needs to look at it in full size to really appreciate it. Though the two humans and the launched rocket are very small, they make the difference.
    Nice render with the fat guys, reminds me of the HHG TV series when Ford and Arthur were picked up by the Heart of Gold, just before Marvin enters.

@newrigel - interesting concept.

@mermaid010 - great fisheye renders. I particularly like the second one: I get the impression of looking out of a tunnel.

Thanks! It was a LOT of work and time to render the scenes... I just started using Bryce when doing this and I just clicked buttons and got lucky really. I have since gotten much better and have smartened up using image sequences instead of video codec. Makes a HUGE difference. YouTubes compression does it's share of chaos too!

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,765
    edited December 1969

@horo, thanks for the explanation. Timothy also, who saw what I missed. Still feel it looks a bit odd, compared to the rest. Maybe too much specular or maybe no soft shadows.

@dana365: That could be the reason. I looked up some images of tires and found that my idea that they are darker does not fit those images, so apparently I was wrong about that.

@mermaid010: great work on those lenses. I like the last one a lot. Like looking out from the middle of a hollow tree!

@Jamahoney. Nice shot. Why move if it isn't necessary?

@newrigel: very nice and strange image. I assume the guitarist was put there in postwork?

edited December 1969

Cheers, dana365...the model, really, deserves all credit.

Hansmar -" Why move if it isn’t necessary?"...hehe...getting a bit on the paunchy side...eh? ;)

Jay

edited December 1969

hansmar said:
    @horo, thanks for the explanation. Timothy also, who saw what I missed. Still feel it looks a bit odd, compared to the rest. Maybe too much specular or maybe no soft shadows.

@dana365: That could be the reason. I looked up some images of tires and found that my idea that they are darker does not fit those images, so apparently I was wrong about that.

@mermaid010: great work on those lenses. I like the last one a lot. Like looking out from the middle of a hollow tree!

@Jamahoney. Nice shot. Why move if it isn't necessary?

@newrigel: very nice and strange image. I assume the guitarist was put there in postwork?

Yes... all post... lots of time and... well, time haha!

edited December 1969

so i have come back to this render for another try :)

the first picture is the before, the second my new results....just thought i would share :)

Rings_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 261K
    Rings_2.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 319K
    edited December 1969

@newrigel: Really nice video. So is that image you posted.

@Jay: Ah yes, WALL-E, loved that movie. And makes a real point if you really watch pay attention to the subject.

@mermaid: Those are neat results. I had to give the second image another view after Horo mentioning a tunnel.

@timothybateman: Rings really do look better in the second image. I wonder though, wouldn't the wood directly beneath the rings be in focus with the rings?

edited December 1969

@gussnemo- yes your right it would be in focus normally...but! i made it blurry using DOF to get that effect on purpose...in other word, thats how i wanted it to look ;)

but ty for the comment :)

edited July 2014

Horo:
    Thank you! spot on is quite the compliment !! and you know I couldn't have got there with out you.

newrigel:
    Ya! WOW! for your first go at it, that's crazy amazing.I have not combined live video with animation video I have made in Bryce, but I sure am thinking about it now! very inspirational.I have only done one animation with sound so far, if you are curious here is the link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdSlQpUdO8k

I know what you mean about You Tube messing the video up, I find its always darker, and noisy than the original, I brighten (gamma correct) it up in Adobe Premier before you tube gets it. still not sure how to deal with noise though, I am at a loss, no pun intended!

hansmar:
    oh, I thought you were right, I think that new tires have that nice rich new rubber look. but I think photographers over expose to get the details in the dark areas.

Jay:
    And Thank you kind Sir!

timothybateman:
    nice! the reflections in "Rings_2" on the ring and less reflection on the wood, really does put it ahead of the first, for me any ways, but both are working just perfectly.
    Is using the DOF setting one of those ones where you set, render, check and repeat, until you get it, or do you have a good idea where its going to be from the onset, I ask because you seem to have a serious control of it.

************************************************************************************************************************************************
    ************************************************** BIG TIRE SALE NOW ON !!! ***************************************************************
    ************************************************************************************************************************************************
    OK so the used tires are not selling as fast as I thought and my wife wants them out of the living room, so if you feel like kicking the tire its on Share CG,

http://www.sharecg.com/v/76754/browse/5/3D-Model/Dana365-All-Weather-Tire-Bryce-7-Scene

Post edited by dana365 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the feedback and comments on my last set using the lens from Bryce 7.1 Pro Lenses and Filters.

Dana- thanks for the tire.

edited December 1969

@Dana365- in the past it used to be set, render, ect.... but yes now i have i really good idea where the DOF will fall off, its all trial and error, in most cases error....but it's how we learn :) ...sorry i don't have a better explanation than that, i hope this helps what you wanted to know, but if you need more info i am happy to try and answer any questions you have :)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited July 2014

Works been keeping from my PC (why do all the jobs that require you to clamber around in roof spaces or loiter at the top of ladders fixing things to ceilings come in the hottest part of the year?) still I should not be too churlish, jobs pay for electricity and hard drives and upgrades to Octane.

Of course, even though Octane has more bells and whistles than... er... something with a lot of bells and whistles... a rave? I don't know, do they have raves any more? There's still a lot of fun to be had in Bryce. So having fiddled around with specular material response. I decided to try and address a more thorny problem. That of the coastline. Specifically, what happens when water meets land.

So, here's where I am.

Edit and another with the sun in a different position.

P59_example_scene2_wip4b.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 580K
    P59_example_scene2_wip4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 664K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

@David- that scene looks amazing, really great stuff :)

edited December 1969

timothybateman:
    thanks you , that's a great description of your process, sounds like if I start working with it more, it is consistent, so I will be able to judge its effect ahead of time.

David:
    HAHAHA so true! those spaces can attain inhuman temperatures!

edited December 1969

@David: Water meeting shore images are really nice.

@timothybateman: I sort of figured you did it on purpose.

@dana: Maybe this will help you with DOF. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahiyabdeUBI

Here are a couple of stacked terrains using a Lava fractal. They are of the same camera position, only with different skies. I'm not entirely satisfied with the look of either one, but it is a start. Comments gladly welcomed.

Lava_3.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Lava_2.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,161
    edited December 1969

@timothybateman - I prefer the first one.

@David - beaches look real good.

@Jamie - I'm always fascinated by seeing how much another sun position can alter the look of a scene. This is also the case in the two island renders by David.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the feedback folks. Here's another test, same process, different terrain - one of high res Horo's obviously. (and one of his HDRI's too).

P59_example_scene3_wip1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 588K
    edited December 1969

David - beautiful renders.

Guss- I like the stacked terrains, you are getting some nice results.

edited December 1969

David - beautiful renders.

Guss- I like the stacked terrains, you are getting some nice results.

Thank you Mermaid.

Continuing with the waters edge challenge... here is another variant. The process is moderately straightforwards, except for when it comes to mixing the distant water with the "terrain" water. That bit is fiddly. More fiddly that usual. Most things are fiddly. This moreso.

P59_example_scene4_wip2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 649K
This discussion has been closed.